• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar: "Hot Coffee" scandal was an attack on videogames

Fjordson

I remember last gen (ps2 days), on the forum i used to visit prior to Gaf, "casual gamer" was a term (often pejorative, unfortunately) reserved for those people playing stuff like FIFA, Need For Speed, GTA and nothing else (what now are most CoD players, basically).
So it's kind of hilarious.
Haha, yeah.

With my friends when I was younger, "casual gamers" were people who only played sports games. No clue why, that's just what we decided it meant :lol

jimi_dini

I thought we were defending gaming in here? Or is just our little corner of gaming we care about?

I never understood that.

I mean people play Assassin's Creed games and then try to shit on so called "casual gaming". It's just different taste, which is totally fine. Complaining about dumbing down a game series to appeal to a broader audience - I can understand. But complaing about Angry Birds? Why?

Also DMA design created Lemmings. Dan Houser should know that. And I personally would call Lemmings a casual game.

Opiate

Eh, it's about joystiq's fault by 100%. They should've had more detail about the interview than just that one line.

I was still wrong! I personally like to emphasize when I am and realize I was wrong: I learn more that way. Even if the reason I'm wrong is innocuous.

In an interview with The Guardian, Houser said he views the seven-year-old incident as an attack on video gaming in general.
Allow me to express myself with just one image.
pjlgj6mz.jpg

It is obvious that there is a media clash between TV and Video Games/Internet. Tv is the new radio, elitist and proud of it. Thinks that "kids these days don't have respect" and kids in this situation is Video Games and Internet. Wait a couple more years and old TV will die, the new one begging for more content from Internet, stealing from Video Games.
My wish is that TV accepts its new place sooner and not alienate Video Game players and Internet users with the stereotypes they use these days.
So as a typical young person, I blame TV and old people.

UrbanRats

Haha, yeah.

With my friends when I was younger, "casual gamers" were people who only played sports games. No clue why, that's just what we decided it meant :lol

I think the term is apt: "Someone who plays game (or follows gaming) casually", Casual Gamer.
It's the hostile attitude towards them, that is pathetic.

Fjordson

Death is not a problem, sex is a problem.
Yep.

As someone raised in London who then moved to California, violence in popular media hasn't really waned form my perspective. It's the sex and the profanity that disappears into the corner here in America. Unless I'm watching HBO or an R-rated movie :lol

Top Bottom