• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League On Steam Now Requires An Epic Games Account

Bullet Club

Rocket League On Steam Now Requires An Epic Games Account

A League Of Its Own

After the recent September update, Rocket League now requires you to have an Epic Games account when you're playing it on Steam. If you don't have one, it'll prompt you to create one before you can play, provided you're online.

What does this mean for Rocket League on Steam?

The new prompt will appear as soon as you load up Rocket League if you're playing with an internet connection. It'll ask you to link your Epic Games Store account with the game and will also offer to add your Steam friends as Epic friends so you can party up. There's no way of getting out of these messages unless you do what Rocket League is telling you to do or close the game (only available via task manager, as Alt-f4 will not work); you won't be able to change options or switch music until you've gone through this step. This also means that if you're connected to the internet, you can't play single-player or local multiplayer before dealing with the Epic prompt.

yPoxwrE.jpg

The confirmation process also doesn't take place entirely within the game. When you're entering your Epic credentials, you'll be taken to a browser window instead. The same goes for creating a new account if you don't already have one. It seems like creating a new account doesn't necessarily mean making a full-blooded Epic profile; rather, it's a sort of proxy account with minimal information required.

Also worth noting here is the fact that Rocket League isn't requiring you to actually download and install the Epic Games launcher; rather, it simply requires account credentials. If you want more information about how Epic integration works with Rocket League, check out Psyonix's blog post on the subject.

What else is new in Rocket League?

After yesterday's patch, a number of additional changes have been made in Rocket League. There's a small tutorial teaching you the ropes when you boot the game up now. If you're a Switch player, you won't require Nintendo Switch Online to play Rocket League. A number of new menu and UI changes have been implemented, and there's also a new vehicle preset based on the Merc car. You can check out the full patch notes right here via Steam if you're interested.

Source: Tech Raptor

At least it was completely seamless for me having already set up an Epic account and apparently already linking it. The way they made the UI worse for requeuing your ranked games kind of sucks. Last UI made it worse as well. But it's designed for fresh f2p casuals who they want to buy dress-up items for the little cars so what can ya do?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
At least it was completely seamless for me having already set up an Epic account and apparently already linking it. The way they made the UI worse for requeuing your ranked games kind of sucks. Last UI made it worse as well. But it's designed for fresh f2p casuals who they want to buy dress-up items for the little cars so what can ya do?

Retire. I think that's where I'm at. I hit level 1900 a few weeks ago and surpassed 22,000 matches during the last Rocket Pass. Part of me is tired of the game (Snow Day got me through my last 5,000 or so matches) but part of me is tired of Psyonix ever evolving monetization scheme which keeps be more and more ridiculous. And that ridiculousness is all before it went free to play so I can only imagine what's next.

Retire. I think that's where I'm at. I hit level 1900 a few weeks ago and surpassed 22,000 matches during the last Rocket Pass. Part of me is tired of the game (Snow Day got me through my last 5,000 or so matches) but part of me is tired of Psyonix ever evolving monetization scheme which keeps be more and more ridiculous. And that ridiculousness is all before it went free to play so I can only imagine what's next.
I'm at 12,000 games played overall, and level 1080 or so. Probably another 1 or 2 thousand on PS4 and Xbox back in the day but it's all spread out over pretty much the whole lifetime of the game. So I'm not really burnt out. I play more FPS to be honest. I don't care that much about the monetization as the Rocket Pass is a one time purchase that I can easily complete and chain in perpetuity and I otherwise ignore most of the monetization. Paid for the BP once, and I guess I got the Batmobile, Delorean, and Jurassic Park Jeep but that's about it.

My bigger concern with all this is the sheer amount of smurfs that are going to hop onto F2P. It's kind of bad at times with paid accounts, this is just going to open the floodgates.

bender

What time is it?
I'm at 12,000 games played overall, and level 1080 or so. Probably another 1 or 2 thousand on PS4 and Xbox back in the day but it's all spread out over pretty much the whole lifetime of the game. So I'm not really burnt out. I play more FPS to be honest. I don't care that much about the monetization as the Rocket Pass is a one time purchase that I can easily complete and chain in perpetuity and I otherwise ignore most of the monetization. Paid for the BP once, and I guess I got the Batmobile, Delorean, and Jurassic Park Jeep but that's about it.

My bigger concern with all this is the sheer amount of smurfs that are going to hop onto F2P. It's kind of bad at times with paid accounts, this is just going to open the floodgates.

Its my game of the generation easily. Their support has also been admirable which is why I was more than happy to support a lot of the DLCs, Loot Boxes and Rocketpass. When they ditched Lootboxes (an economy item you could trade for keys or items you wanted) and then went to BluePrints and the Marketplace, pricing just got crazy. Black Market base items are $20 and even more if they are colored or have attributes. It just seems greedy.

Its my game of the generation easily. Their support has also been admirable which is why I was more than happy to support a lot of the DLCs, Loot Boxes and Rocketpass. When they ditched Lootboxes (an economy item you could trade for keys or items you wanted) and then went to BluePrints and the Marketplace, pricing just got crazy. Black Market base items are $20 and even more if they are colored or have attributes. It just seems greedy.
Well everyone ditched loot boxes, congress was targeting that shit. It is ironic that the economy of the game was better for the players in the loot box era though. But my favorite car is an Octane with a pigeon topper and a North Korean flag. I literally have no idea what alpha boost actually looks like.

Kerotan

Good shit. I'm level 1400 roughly. Do you unlock anything for hitting the levels you're at or do the avatar border unlocks eventually stop?

acm2000

I'm assuming this is for cross play support? Either way there's nothing wrong with EGS, for years we wanted a serious competitor for steam and when we finally get one the hardcore nerds throw their toys out of their pram.

Chun Swae

Banned
you mustered up the courage to sign into steam so you'll be fine creating another account. pc players need to stop being such babies.

Playing this F2P seems like they've streamlined it for the filthy casual mob. This to me hints at a sequel in the works that will be the main Rocket League as we know it, and this one will be like the budget version.

Holammer

Let's see how EU reacts to this. Changing terms like this for an old product could result in similar reactions to Oculus suddenly requiring a Facebook account.
If something happens at all, expect it to happen in Germany first.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah i noticed when i played on my PS4 the other day. was a pain to connect my account to my EGS account. LOL. fucking Epic.

Last edited:

CitizenX

Banned
yeah i noticed when i played on my PS4 the other day. was a pain to connect my account to my EGS account. LOL. fucking Epic.

Wow, that is REALLY interesting. imagine wherever you buy you will have to link that account to an EA, MS, PS, etc account.

bender

What time is it?
I'm not sure it will happen but at least having an Epic account would open the window for a centralized inventory system and stats system.

Pejo

I have over 300 hours in Rocket League, clicked uninstall after this update. I won't be a metric for Epic, and will never create an EGS account. Kinda sucks because this was the perfect "oh I only have 20 mins" pick up and play game, but I'm going to stick to my morals here. It probably doesn't amount to more than a drop in the bucket, but at least I'm sticking to it.

xrnzaaas

Damn it sucks that you need to link the game to your EGS account even on the consoles. I'm glad I didn't pay anything for it by having it from PS+ (other than the subscription ;)).

keraj37

I have over 300 hours in Rocket League, clicked uninstall after this update. I won't be a metric for Epic, and will never create an EGS account. Kinda sucks because this was the perfect "oh I only have 20 mins" pick up and play game, but I'm going to stick to my morals here. It probably doesn't amount to more than a drop in the bucket, but at least I'm sticking to it.

Glad you did right thing.
Epic is buying up everybody who has price tag on his forehead.

Last edited:

CuNi

I think this is a bug. Everywhere I look, it still says it goes F2P on September 23rd. I could see them having a branch maybe prepared for EGS that they wrongfully pushed onto steam?
Can't see them really doing that and alienating already existing players.

1300 hours across Switch and PC, managed to break into Diamond.

It was a good run, RIP Rocket League. I’m not submitting to Epic Games. Maybe I’ll actually have time to play other games now.

Top Bottom