• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League getting 120FPS support on Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S

Vasto

ROCKET LEAGUE ON XBOX SERIES X

Available at launch: runs at 4K resolution at 60 FPS with HDR.

Following a game update later this year, a new "Video Quality" setting will be added within the Video tab of the Settings menu, allowing users to select Quality vs Performance.

Quality:

4K resolution at 60 FPS with HDR

• HDR requires HDR10 compatible display and HDMI 2.0 cable or better (included with Xbox Series X)
  • 4K capable display required to experience 4K UHD. If a 1080p display is used, the game will render at 1080p supersampled from 4K.

Performance:

Game runs at 2688x1512 resolution (70% of full 4K) at 120 FPS with HDR

• Game UI runs in 4K
  • 4K capable display required to experience 4K UHD. If a 1080p display is used, the game will render at 1080p supersampled from 2688x1512.
  • HDR and 120 Hz require a compatible display, as well as Ultra High Speed HDMI 2.1 cable (included with Xbox Series X)

ROCKET LEAGUE ON XBOX SERIES S

Available at launch: runs at 1080p resolution at 60 FPS with HDR

Following a game update later this year, a new “Video Quality” setting will be added within the Video tab of the Settings menu, allowing users to select Quality vs Performance.

Quality:

1080p Resolution at 60 FPS with HDR

• HDR requires compatible HDR10 display
Performance:

Game runs at 1344x756 (70% of Full 1080p) Resolution at 120 FPS with HDR

• UI displays at 1080p
  • Requires a TV or monitor 120 Hz capable display
  • HDR requires a compatible HDR10 Display and High Speed HDMI 2.0 cable (included with Xbox Series S)

ROCKET LEAGUE ON PLAYSTATION 5

Available at launch: 4K Resolution (checkerboard) at 60 FPS with High Dynamic Range (HDR)

• 4K and HDR require compatible displays
  • Requires compatible HDMI cable (included with PlayStation 5)

Last edited:

Banned
4K with CBR at the PS5? Huh. Wonder if the XSX is native or not.

even the One X runs it at a native 4k60 while the Pro runs at checkerboard 4k60

it seems to me that the PS5 only gets maybe a settings upgrade but no change in output resolution.
(the current gen versions don't run at max PC settings so there's room for improvement in that area for sure)

while the Series X|S gets actually new resolution settings for the high framerate modes

the curious thing is that this is the second game already that this happens to.
Star Wars Squadrons also uses the same resolution on PS5 as on PS4 (1800p, although on PS4 it is dynamic and uses a form of reconstruction, not usre if checkerboarding or something proprietary) and it only gets higher settings (I think mostly lighting)

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
giphy.gif

Oh no here they come

Yoboman

Sounds really half assed from Psyonix. Which is disappointing, having put in over 1,000 hours into this game.

I expect native build updates to come though. Maybe in line with UE5 upgrade

Mmnow

I love the idea of playing Rocket League at 120fps, but only if they also patch in a button I can press to kill or even seriously maim assholes who send my shots off-course at the last second while trying to steal my goal.

That'd feel like a true next-gen upgrade.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Something is clearly wrong with the way PS5 handles patched PS4 games
You can say that again. Can't even run Rocket League at 4k 60fps (inb4 c..checkerboard counts!) while a basic gaymen laptop can. Or a card comparable to the ps4 pro anyway. Sad!

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, One X runs this game in native 4k/60, why is PS5 only checkerboard? The lack of 120hz support for the Sony console also seems weird if Series S gets it. Clearly Psyonix not putting in the effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If a GTX 1070 can run this at Native 4K Max 60-80fps then both consoles should have a Native 4K 120fps performance mode.

Yoboman

Some theories on Rocket League Reddit that there is no proper next gen patch because the game is still using UE3 which is no longer supported

I hope they are working on moving this to a modern engine

-Arcadia-

Banned
Given It's such a graphically simple game, 120 makes so much sense for this, and hopefully you won't have to dial down every setting and sacrifice a child to do it.

If it looks the same, but just 120, that's an awesome next-gen showing for RL, imo, and more than I expected for such an old game.

Mmnow

Could this be a smart delivery benefit for Microsoft? Isn't there some weirdness with skus that means you're getting an SX enhanced version of the same game on Xbox, but that a PS5 upgrade is technically a new game on PlayStation?

Would it cost developers to release a new PS5 version (hense creating a new game), while the Xbox version is free or cheap because it's the same store entry?

This is just a thought. I'm trying to come up with a sensible reason why we're seeing some more substantial next-gen upgrades for Xbox than PS5 that don't just boil down to capabilities.

Sethbacca

So they didn't patch the Ps5 version, it using PS4 Pro BC. Well, the dev has to put some work into this, then again who knows what MS paid for.

I gotta think that a majority of the console player base is PS. It was a free PS Plus game ages ago on top of just a larger install base overall.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't really care about 120fps (don't have a TV for it), but I do want native 4K at a locked 60 with higher settings than the PS4 version. PS5 should easily be able to do this.

Sethbacca

I don't really care about 120fps (don't have a TV for it), but I do want native 4K at a locked 60 with higher settings than the PS4 version. PS5 should easily be able to do this.

Looks like PS5 is checkerboard 4k 60 (my bad) but they can't do 120fps because it runs in BC mode. There are piles of links in the discussion over at an official Psyonix dev post on Reddit

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Rocket League nicely benefits from higher framerates. I would want 120fps if I had a TV that could display it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So, who said that Xbox Series S is pushing PS5? Lol isn’t this like the second game running better on Series S compared to PS5?

1080P 60fps is worse than the PS4 Pro (which the PS5 is running in BC). So before you act like a retard and celebrate, you should read the OT.

NickFire

"Game runs at 1344x756 (70% of Full 1080p) Resolution at 120 FPS with HDR"

I think its a very bad idea for MS to allow any output below 1080P on Series S. I suppose its target audience might not give a crap, but you know if this becomes a regular thing the enthusiast crowd certainly will.

Oppoi

120 on Series S but not PS5 most remarkable! What do you make of this Watson?

Last edited:

Fbh

Cool, I'll be able to fail getting past Gold 1 with double as many frames!!!

120 on Series S but not PS5. What do you make of this Watson?

Since Ps5 isn't even native 4K and is basically running with an identical setup as on Ps4 Pro (4K checkerboard, 60fps). The answer seems to be that for some reason the game isn't getting a next gen update on Ps5 at launch.

I'm guessing if it will come later on.

TrebleShot

Seems like the same situation as some other games in that it runs in BC mode on PS5 and XSX has an actual upgrade. Hope to see it eventually come.

I mean, One X runs this game in native 4k/60, why is PS5 only checkerboard? The lack of 120hz support for the Sony console also seems weird if Series S gets it. Clearly Psyonix not putting in the effort.

Yeah, none of this really makes sense to me. MS could have supported 120fps development or paid for the feature while Sony did not.

It's clear from PS5 not supporting VRR at this time that they don't see high enough market penetration to invest a ton of resources at launch.

Last edited:

Oppoi

Cool, I'll be able to fail getting past Gold 1 with double as many frames!!!

Since Ps5 isn't even native 4K and is basically running with an identical setup as on Ps4 Pro (4K checkerboard, 60fps). The answer seems to be that for some reason the game isn't getting a next gen update on Ps5 at launch.

I'm guessing if it will come later on.

"Optimized for Xbox Series" is what I take from this. A new kind of moneyhat.

Top Bottom