• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roblox could be headed to Nintendo Switch, PS5 and Oculus Quest

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Roblox, the free-to-play game-building title that houses more than 50 million user-created game spaces, could be expanding beyond its current home on PC and Xbox consoles.

Speaking during the Roblox Corporation’s Q1 2021 earnings call, CEO and co-founder Dave Baszucki said that “Switch, PlayStation” and “Quest” (as in, Oculus Quest) all “make perfect sense for Roblox”.

Comparing the expansion to the boom in smartphone applications once pinch-to-zoom was established, Baszucki said:

“We have the same vision for the immersive 3D multiplayer cloud stuff of the metaverse in that we believe this should be accessible on all devices, both from viewing as well as interaction. And we've really innovated around this on phone tablet, computer, and Xbox console, showing that developers can create content that when pushed to our cloud, runs on all of these devices as well as auto translates into multiple languages.”

FMX

They are now a publicly traded company so they got to get that game on all platforms now. Pick up that stock if you haven't already. I am making a killing on it.

CamHostage

Roblox isn't already on consoles??

I feel like you could tell me any truth or lie about Roblox and I would be like, "Oh, that's that thing that's valued at 5½X the cost of Marvel and Lucasfilm combined? Yeah, guess I could believe that..."

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A recently posted job listing has been discovered on Roblox's career portal that makes very clear where the game could be headed next. The job title is listed as "Senior Software Engineer, PlayStation Console." Suffice to say, if Roblox is hiring developers to work specifically on the PlayStation platform then it only makes sense that Roblox will soon be brought to PlayStation consoles. Roblox isn't currently available on both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.

If the job listing wasn't clear, the body of the job listing certainly is. The job description explains that the Gaming Console Software Engineer will be responsible for building and supporting Roblox's engine on the "Sony PlayStation platform." Further, listed under the "You Will" subheading for job responsibilities, the role is tasked with developing and supporting the "Roblox client application" for gaming consoles "like Microsoft Xbox One and Sony PlayStation 4." This job position is clearly designed specifically for working on Roblox on PlayStation platforms.

roblox-playstation-job-listing.jpg

Top Bottom