• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roblox Corp Is Now Valued At $30 Billion

GHG

Gold Member
They are currently actually losing money though. Im really tempted to invest, but ita not clear enough to me yet whats gonna happen.

Hope you have the stomach for some volatility then.

Treat it like you would with any growth stock at the moment - with caution.

Also it's not priced in yet so wait a while for it to settle. The range on it today was insane.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
You clearly don't have kids that play Roblox. The game thrives off of getting kids to continuously feeling the need to spend more and more real money in the game.

It's basically the way that they make money. They take a 30% cut of all content sold on the platform, the rest goes to content creators.

fermcr

Roblox worth $30 Billion? :messenger_dizzy:

When a game like Roblox is worth $30 Billion, it's clearly a sign that I'm getting too old for gaming.

im-getting-too-old-for-this-shit.jpg

M16

people bitch and make a big stink about microtransactions, but how has this game escaped the backlash? theres some levels where you cant walk 10 seconds without being spammed with popups for money.

Xenon

A valuation like that with only one game under their belt is just nuts.

Unless you are a parent. The amount of money kids pump into that game is insane. Imagine some of the most predatory Financial incentive mechanics being used against kids too young to know that they are being taken advantage of across multiple games on the platform. It's essentially like having a toy store at your house and there's always something they want from it.

jakinov

No and its utterly bizarre.

They basically ignored a 120M+ userbase last gen and they seem to have no intention of hopping onto PS5.
Those 120 million people probbaly already have access to it. Porting and maintaining it would probably not help much and cost them more in the end. The only reason it’s on Xbox is probbaly because Roblox is likely made for Windows based tablets as a UWP app which inherently makes it really easy to maintain and release for Xbox.

Bryank75

Banned
Foolish of Sony not to have bought them years ago and utterly stupid that the game is not on PlayStation at all, when staff have gone back and forth between the two companies....

Sony being shortsighted again. They missed Minecraft too, of course.

They are just idiotic when it comes to this stuff.

...... Yeah buy Leyou instead, a great background in chickens there!

GHG

Gold Member
How did you even see a runup? I got notified it went live and it was immediately at $72.

Trading view.

Once it became available for everyone it spiked down to around 60 then had a quick run to 74. 5 minutes late and you would have missed it.

I sat there and watched it all like a doofus, probably because I'd already entered a few trades during the day that didn't go as I hoped.

RPSleon

Hope you have the stomach for some volatility then.

Treat it like you would with any growth stock at the moment - with caution.

Also it's not priced in yet so wait a while for it to settle. The range on it today was insane.
For sure. I wouldnt be touching it for a while. If its gonna do what any investor would hope then there is no rush. Wanna see a couple of quarterlys first.

Reactions: GHG
As with mobile games, Fortnite, and Minecraft, there's a shitload of profits to be had from going after kids that have access to money or parents credit cards.

Like it or not, your pre-2010 game industry nostalgia days are over, dead, and not coming back lol

Pidull

One of the most overvalued IPO's I can think of. A single game worth half the market cap of Nintendo? Laughable.

My son plays this shit at his mother's, I am the asshole dad that won't let him touch it while he's with me.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
If any of you were able to get in and benefit from the IPO hype, good on you! Now sell those shares ASAP, this IPO is massively, massively, overvalued; Once these dumbass investors learn that this company is a one trick pony with no real growth or ideas the stock is going to tank.

GymWolf

I feel old for not even knowing what the fuck roblox is...sound like a medicine for diarrhea...

Last edited:
  • LOL
all VR kids are playing it, Rec Room and Minecraft

VR future is truly bleak: either we'll be batteries while playing a boring hyperrealistic job simulator or we'll be bored poor brats playing boring pointless sandboxes all day long to get credits

and that's your fault, AAA studios for your lack of vision and commitment

Yep. My niece and nephew got Rifts for Xmas just for Roblox.

Buggy Loop

Timber!

IPO will drop like a brick, then stabilize. Already went from $93 to ~$76 pre-market.

Institutions already had exclusive prices lower than the IPO entry, they’ll sell high. They’ll buy back at the bottom.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
Its definitely not my cup of tea. However my son has occasionally played it and said its fun. He has never asked for any money for it tho. I asked him how it was different than minecraft and he says it's just basically a platform for people to make their own mini games. So he browses those looking for fun stuff to try. Sounds like it's just the variety, ease of creation, and access that make it so adopted and in the end, valuable.

Top Bottom