• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roblox Corp Is Now Valued At $30 Billion

"A report by Buisnesswire concludes that Roblox Corp is now valued at 29.5 Billion, which makes Roblox one of the most valuable game companies. This was confirmed by Altimeter Capital and Dragoneer Investment Group, which led the rounds, and also confirmed Roblox had raised $520 million through a series of H private placements. According to WSJ and a statement from Roblox, the company which had previously decided to go public in 2020, will now follow Spotify, Palantir, and Slack in going public through a direct listing. This will also further expand on current nature, and the existing shareholders or anyone who owns stocks will be allowed to sell them to the new investors.

Roblox CEO David Baszucki welcomed Altimeter and Dragoneer Groups, saying, “We’re thrilled to welcome Altimeter, Dragoneer, and the other new investors.” We look forward to working with all of them as we continue our mission to build a human co-experience platform that enables shared experience, from play to work, and learning among billions of users.”

Following this transition and a jump in its total value to 29.5 Billion from 4 Billion (calculated last year). The company has now gone on top above other game companies like Take-Two, Ubisoft, and CD Projekt. If you compare its statistics to the bigger guns of industry, It ranks behind Nintendo, which is valued at $53.73 Billion, Call of Duty owner Activision Blizzard at $56.27 Billion, FIFA Creator EA at $34.34 Billion, and Tencent, the backbone behind Riot and Epic Games which sits at whopping $69 Billion.

Regardless, this is a great achievement, especially for a company that has only produced one game so far. Its remarkable success can be mainly associated with the Google Play/App Store, where it saw 159.6 Million Downloads since 2014, and $2 Billion in consumer spending on mobile. Roblox last reported that its active playerbase has had doubled and risen to 36.2 Million.

giphy.webp

guess should give a try one day, but I'm afraid it's gonna be a total waste of time

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s you tube. My kids are 5 and never touched the game but they know what it is because it’s on their tablets YouTube app.

The Fartist

Gold Member
I thought about buying stock but then I thought twice about it. They are fucking crazy for getting valued that high. They are not and will not be worth that much in 5 years time.
Have they even gone public yet? Genuinely curious, because I'm gonna jump in.

Don Carlo

Have they even gone public yet? Genuinely curious, because I'm gonna jump in.
They were, but now they won't, it'll be direct listing and dealt with.

Honestly, all kids are playing Fortnite and Roblox all day, still look at the numbers, above Ubisoft, Take-Two with just one fucking game, holy shit

Last edited:

Don Carlo

I honestly do not even know Roblox outside that it's a some blocky - minecrafty shit. How much worth is in Minecraft?
Idk, you cant value, because they are now under Xbox. Pretty sure it would have been high, crazy how both these are somewhat Microsoft exclusives, and I haven't seen this on store promotion ever.

My 6y old daughter plays it. Its ridiculous the number of times it pops up asking for money to buy something. Its like you can't even play the game with out spending money.

At least there is running and jumping through obstacles i guess.

Mozza

BINGO.

The amount of parents that don’t actually parent or like their children much just put their card on the account and let the kids play quietly so they’re “occupied”.

What a flawed judgmental way of looking at things, the mobile business model may not be for you, but who are you to pass judgment on everyone else, My daughter and my wife both have great fun playing these games, they spend very little in terms of real money and earn the upgrades etc by effort, they also do lots of other things together besides playing these mobile games.

Seems a bit strange people devoting lots of time to playing video games and commenting on them on niche sites, should have such an issue with different forms of video game entertainment, even more so when most triple AAA games all have micro transactions etc.

Kerotan

They were, but now they won't, it'll be direct listing and dealt with.

Honestly, all kids are playing Fortnite and Roblox all day, still look at the numbers, above Ubisoft, Take-Two with just one fucking game, holy shit
That's just the way it is though. Kids up to the age of let's say 14 generally just copy each other like sheep so they'll mostly be on 1 or 2 games like fortnite or roblox. Older demographics are far more split because we can actually think for our selves and don't always follow the crowd. So companies that don't get super lucky and become one of the games played by every kid are going to find it harder to up their valuation.

devilNprada

Surprising considering it’s less popular than Minecraft.
Not too sure about that.

This is my experience also:

onestly, all kids are playing Fortnite and Roblox all day, still look at the numbers, above Ubisoft, Take-Two with just one fucking game, holy shit
Among us is also in there above Minecraft.

Edit: Minecraft 126 million active users vs Roblox 150 million active users... Among us half a billion...Fortnite 350 Million

Last edited:
Huh, I've never even really heard of this game. Seen a few screenshots and maybe a post or two? Is this because I don't have any young kids in the house or...?

What a flawed judgmental way of looking at things, the mobile business model may not be for you, but who are you to pass judgment on everyone else, My daughter and my wife both have great fun playing these games, they spend very little in terms of real money and earn the upgrades etc by effort, they also do lots of other things together besides playing these mobile games.

Seems a bit strange people devoting lots of time to playing video games and commenting on them on niche sites, should have such an issue with different forms of video game entertainment, even more so when most triple AAA games all have micro transactions etc.
Your personal experience with it, by your entirely biased and unreliable accounting, does not outweigh the huge number of studies into how incredibly widespread childhood gambling has become due to these types of games, nor the increasing behavioural and development problems directly linked to common bad parenting practices of doing exactly what your so offended by and incredulous of.

Hell, young kids being left with games and not interacted with is literally one of the key and common warning signs of neglect those working with children and families in the UK are told to watch put for.

And if you want personal anecdotes, I have twice seen a child out in public, unwatched by their parent, hurt themselves because they were too engrossed in playing a game on a tablet, both of which resulted in the terrible parent shouting at their screaming child for causing a fuss and damaging said tablet.

Last edited:
all VR kids are playing it, Rec Room and Minecraft

VR future is truly bleak: either we'll be batteries while playing a boring hyperrealistic job simulator or we'll be bored poor brats playing boring pointless sandboxes all day long to get credits

and that's your fault, AAA studios for your lack of vision and commitment

Last edited:

kiphalfton

It's trash, but i get it. My son showed me and it's like the modern equivalent of a bunch of free internet flash games crammed into one interface. I wasted plenty of time on kongregate, newgrounds, etc playing low quality stuff.

Those sites ate up like 95% of the class time whenever I had computer/typing class. Probably why I have such low words per minute typing.

Mozza

Your personal experience with it, by your entirely biased and unreliable accounting, does not outweigh the huge number of studies into how incredibly widespread childhood gambling has become due to these types of games, nor the increasing behavioural and development problems directly linked to common bad parenting practices of doing exactly what your so offended by and incredulous of.

Hell, young kids being left with games and not interacted with is literally one of the key and common warning signs of neglect those working with children and families in the UK are told to watch put for.

And if you want personal anecdotes, I have twice seen a child out in public, unwatched by their parent, hurt themselves because they were too engrossed in playing a game on a tablet, both of which resulted in the terrible parent shouting at their screaming child for causing a fuss and damaging said tablet.

Those studies are never biased are they, put it this way if there was a study into violence caused by a medium you personally liked, you would be defending it to death, the fact of the matter is there is good and bad with all forms of entertainment mediums, and a lot of the time it's easy to point out the worst case scenarios, but there will be millions of kids playing these games with no issues.

A lot of core video gamers do not like these sorts of business as they are scared their sacred hobby could go this way, which won't happen as I am sure the core video gaming market is making enough money out of all of these micro transactions and loot boxes, which are of course o.k. ;)

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
I believe it! Sister asks for gift cards to buy Roblox credits, to buy...accessories for their character...that cost so much Roblox credits for one single item...🤦🏾‍♂️

Ballthyrm

It's now 42 Billion.
I don't understand what children see in it TBH.

I started it and I could understand Minecraft but not this.

lachesis

When I first saw my daughter playing Roblox on her iPad mini a few years back, I really thought this software is a malware/spyware filled knockoff game.
(I'm actually surprised that Lego didn't file multi-billion lawsuits that Roblox characters look like Lego characters to begin with)

I guess that game must have evolved quite a bit since then. Pretty impressed.

Blade2.0

I don't get it. Roblox's game mechanics are absolute dog shit. I can usually understand why something is popular even if I myself don't like it ...but roblox...

bitbydeath

It's now 42 Billion.
I don't understand what children see in it TBH.

I started it and I could understand Minecraft but not this.
My kids play it all the time. You can pretty much make anything in this game. So one world could be similar to Minecraft and the other millions of worlds is everything else.

Pretty much what Dreams aspires to be but they have multiplayer at the forefront.

Last edited:

RPSleon

They are currently actually losing money though. Im really tempted to invest, but ita not clear enough to me yet whats gonna happen.

Top Bottom