• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

River City Girls announced. Arc System Works/Wayforward

Vlaphor

The next game in the Kunio Kun/River City Ransom series, but with female delinquents in the lead role. As someone who loves both the Kunio Kun series and the works of Arc/Wayforward, I'm pretty excited for this.

Hmmm, I'm worried. How will they do River City Ransom modernly? I fear for the style. Almost all the old games companies try to bring back, seems to be met really sourly in terms of art especially. Worried, but will have to wait and see, of course.
What I really want is Nintendo World Cup/Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club: Soccer as well.

Shifty

So a River City version of SNK Heroines? Tell me more.

Hmmm, I'm worried. How will they do River City Ransom modernly? I fear for the style. Almost all the old games companies try to bring back, seems to be met really sourly in terms of art especially. Worried, but will have to wait and see, of course.
What I really want is Nintendo World Cup/Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club: Soccer as well.
River City's been rolling on for a while now- it got entries on 3DS and PC over the last couple of years, and has largely stuck with the retro look they established on the NES with some refinements to the animation and shading here and there.

I don't imagine this one will deviate too hard from that outside of the female-led cast.

Pejo

This could be really fun. I love the old River City games.

Also, this makes me again miss Hard Corps: Uprising. Why did we never get a PC version ; ;

Banned

the series is still getting new games every other year.
so I also don't get what modernising means here as it's not a comeback by any means.

So a River City version of SNK Heroines? Tell me more.

River City's been rolling on for a while now- it got entries on 3DS and PC over the last couple of years, and has largely stuck with the retro look they established on the NES with some refinements to the animation and shading here and there.

I don't imagine this one will deviate too hard from that outside of the female-led cast.
the series is still getting new games every other year.
so I also don't get what modernising means here as it's not a comeback by any means.

I'm worried about potential 2D, flash game-like art..

I've only followed the series on NES and GBA though.

Shifty

I'm worried about potential 2D, flash game-like art..

I've only followed the series on NES and GBA though.
Here's how River City Random Underground on PC looks, circa 2017:

River-City-Ransom-Underground-download.jpg

I reckon it's safe to assume all's well unless they put out screens and we see otherwise.

(Also the GBA version was godlike, might root that out and do another playthrough of it. Hmm...)

Banned
Here's how River City Random Underground on PC looks, circa 2017:

River-City-Ransom-Underground-download.jpg

I reckon it's safe to assume all's well unless they put out screens and we see otherwise.

(Also the GBA version was godlike, might root that out and do another playthrough of it. Hmm...)

this is not really part of the main series. it was a mediocre cash grab fueled by nostalgia, developed by a team that licensed the IP.
meanwhile the main series is getting sequels still, but many sadly japan exclusive.

Last edited:

Shifty

this is not really part of the main series. it was a mediocre cash grab fueled by nostalgia.
True re it not being mainline, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it a mediocre cash grab. It launched pretty rough, but it's been patched up into a solid state at this point.

meanwhile the main series is getting sequels still, but many sadly japan exclusive.
I'm still hoping Downtown Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou! (the feudal japan stage play one) gets a River City Ransom EX style remake someday. Lots of interesting stuff in this series that we never got.

zenspider

After Contra 4 and Duck Tales, I have nothing but faith in WayForward taking on established franchises.

Last edited:
Shifty Shifty & 01011001 01011001 Do any of you know whether there's a modern(er) sequel to Nintendo World Cup/Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club: Soccer?? I'm a bit busy, but wanted to know if that series has continued.

Shifty

Shifty Shifty & 01011001 01011001 Do any of you know whether there's a modern(er) sequel to Nintendo World Cup/Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club: Soccer?? I'm a bit busy, but wanted to know if that series has continued.
Not off the top of my head I'm afraid. I've only really followed the dodgeball sub-series as far as the sporty stuff goes.

Do they launch eachother into space in the soccer titles too? :messenger_open_mouth:

PerfectWarrior

Neo Member
ASW + Wayforward is a crossover i would love to watch. I hope that this doesn't end like that mediocre nightmare that was Double Dragon 4.

Top Bottom