• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risitas has passed away

Jon Neu

Banned
Rest in peace, sweet prince.

tenor.gif

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
R.I.P.

I have seen the video countless times and i laugh every time.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Man El Risitas... Rest in Peace...

giphy.gif

Affectionally known as "El Risitas" ("The Giggles"), Borja obtained his infamous nickname after appearing on a Spanish variety show from Jesus Quintero called Ratones Coloraos. While telling a story about working at a restaurant and throwing 20 paella dishes into the ocean — only to find them swept away the next day — Borja started laughing and couldn't stop. The moment almost immediately went viral, earning Borja his nickname and also an abundance of devoted fans who delighted in his sharp personality.

Spanish actor and director Santiago Seguro shared a tribute to Borja on Thursday.
"Sad news...Juan Joya has died," he posted via Twitter in Spanish. "Known as 'El Risitas,' Juan's good humor and his laugh were well known across Spain after his appearance on Jesus Quintero's TV show. He was an endearing man. May he rest in peace."

Although Borja became famous in his native country almost immediately due to this interview, his second life as a meme (and as a widely known viral sensation) came in 2014, when the world found the clip on YouTube and uploaded it using their own captions to tell their own stories. Whatever the reason for someone to laugh — whether it was an Apple engineer reacting to the new iPhone or a fight about Brexit — Borja was there to add laughter to the moment. He appeared in parody videos and comedic skits online, particularly in the world of gaming and Esports, where his likeness became a Twitch emote.

Last edited:
Top Bottom