• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ring Fit Adventure is pure Nintendo magic (Pilates Wings)

supernova8

Banned
These workouts are intense... I figured they'd be weak but I set mine to the 2nd hardest difficulty and I'm going to have to tone it down a bit tomorrow before I end up injuring myself

I wanted to buy a copy when quarantine first started but I wasn't putting up $400 or whatever idiotic price the secondary market had reached. But I wish there hadn't been a shortage. Maybe I wouldn't be such a fat shit now.

One thing I'm happy to see is that it's a quality product for the money. The game itself has really nice graphics and sound, and the joycons seem to do a fine job of picking up movements which can sometimes be subtle. Jogging through the levels collecting coins and medals is an enjoyable experience. The ringcon is well built and sturdy, and offers a fair bit of resistance when you're squeezing or pulling it.

And as I said before, the workouts are no joke at their hardest, but they're scalable for a range of fitness levels.

Good job Nintendo

Yeah I keep seeing reviews with people saying it's actually a genuine workout. Sure not a subsitute for a proper weight training regime for any fat shits who needs to lose a few pounds (ie me) it seems perfect. Play games AND lose weight - yes please.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Do players customize their moveset for each stage, or do you stick with favs and maintain a move in each "type"?

The game keeps adding new moves and I feel like building a few loadouts to switch between. I'm guessing at some point you'll have enough yellow / red / etc moves to make all your moves one color?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
80 dollars? OOOOOOOOF

fbtAZN1.png

g0ndzpn.png

zPMQ952.png

awkwardmonkey.jpg

Amory

So here's a critique: the game should just let you have all unlocked exercises "equipped" simultaneously.

Some of the easiest exercises are the most effective in terms of the game mechanics, but they don't provide a good workout. And vice versa. There's no need to restrict the player to 6

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
So here's a critique: the game should just let you have all unlocked exercises "equipped" simultaneously.

Some of the easiest exercises are the most effective in terms of the game mechanics, but they don't provide a good workout. And vice versa. There's no need to restrict the player to 6
If you want a workout, I think one of the side modes allows you to mix and match all exercises in any configuration.

Locking moves in the RPG Adventure mode makes sense to me. Brand new fatties will stick with those "easiest" exercises for awhile, and that's probably on purpose. I'm not very far into the game (just finished Sporta and reached Ch. 5) but the newer moves I've unlocked deal far more damage and sometimes multi-hit.

Just personal opinion. Lots of RPGs limit what you can equip and how many, so it didn't feel out of place.

An "auto match" button on the screen just before beginning a mission would be nice. Auto-assigns the proper arrangement/color of moves to match the enemy types in your stage would be handy, though the game does let you build "sets".

TriSuit666

Banned

You can let it create 'random' workout sets with all the moves available in the workout section. Just make sure you set it to 'Hardcore' else the other settings aren't sweaty enough.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What difficulty are you all setting yours to in Adventure mode?

I'm at 23. Each stage lasts between 6-10 minutes so the difficulty seems about right. I'm not rushing through and it is tough for me.

Nintendo EPD should reexamine the RPG side and turn it into something a bit more respectable for the sequel. The re-theme doesn't have to be completely serious, but a Dragon Quest-style fantasy would do nicely. The mechanics and the "RPG loop" are addictive. Getting held back by your weak plank or dominating because of your strong arm presses is brilliant.

Gimme Fantasy RingFit RPG and I'd be an adonis. Also replace the SMB 3 overworld map with an actual map. Even if the character is still on rails, let me pick a destination from a list of "paths" and then I get to run/fly/swim to it.

Amory

I'm at 23. Each stage lasts between 6-10 minutes so the difficulty seems about right. I'm not rushing through and it is tough for me.

Nintendo EPD should reexamine the RPG side and turn it into something a bit more respectable for the sequel. The re-theme doesn't have to be completely serious, but a Dragon Quest-style fantasy would do nicely. The mechanics and the "RPG loop" are addictive. Getting held back by your weak plank or dominating because of your strong arm presses is brilliant.

Gimme Fantasy RingFit RPG and I'd be an adonis. Also replace the SMB 3 overworld map with an actual map. Even if the character is still on rails, let me pick a destination from a list of "paths" and then I get to run/fly/swim to it.
I think I did 23 for the first 2 days and then scaled it back to 20 so I could do longer sessions. 20 feels about right to me, maybe i'll try 21 or 22 tomorrow since I'm starting to get the hang of things

I agree that there's a lot of potential to be explored with this concept, but knowing Nintendo this is all we'll ever get from them and I'd be fine with that. It's a good product. Maybe a 3rd party could push the envelope now that Nintendo showed them the path

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think I did 23 for the first 2 days and then scaled it back to 20 so I could do longer sessions. 20 feels about right to me, maybe i'll try 21 or 22 tomorrow since I'm starting to get the hang of things

I agree that there's a lot of potential to be explored with this concept, but knowing Nintendo this is all we'll ever get from them and I'd be fine with that. It's a good product. Maybe a 3rd party could push the envelope now that Nintendo showed them the path
A RingFit 2 (or any game that competently uses the ring con) before the end of the Switch's lifespan is one of my most-desired games, no lie. It's great that you can scale up and down the difficulty. The minigames were the sleeper surprise for me.

I started around 20 and gradually moved up to 23 (was at 22 for several months). I've been playing since launch. Easily one of my top Switch titles, if you couldn't tell 🤓

TriSuit666

Banned

27. So much so I've bent the ringcon, so that it doesn't register on one side.

But yeah, just checked. Go to 'Custom List' and select one of the Fitness Workouts, you can keep randomising the list based on what area you want to target, until you see a set you like the look of.

Chiggs

I just played this for the first time today and it made me realize two things:
  1. I am out of shape.
  2. Those overhead squeezes are harder than I thought they would be.
All in all, it's kind of fun, even though I would pay a blackmailer literally anything to never release a video of me playing it.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
LTTP here but I ordered one of these last week and it just showed up. I’ve done a handful of quick play exercises as well as a mission in the Adventure Mode and I really love this. Adventure mode was so cool, it took my heartbeat before and after missions, so I could monitor impact in real time. Hell it told me how many calories I just lost! That’s a high score you can really strive for.

At first it was a lot of resistance training that worked out my arms and chest. The ring itself is really a cool idea and I love how you use it to go through menus as well. You use up energy just pressing buttons. I only played a handful of things but overall this looks like a gym in a box. I could immediately feel the workouts and was playing on novice. It’s just real fun to challenge yourself and get a good score, the videogame elements are simple and rhythm gamey but they work and make it fun. I’m really looking forward to using this daily.

Last edited:

Bluecondor

Great game! I just started it over the weekend. I am still trying to do my daily workouts outside, but this will be my go-to daily source of 30 minutes of exercise once it gets cold in late October.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've fallen off the RingFit bandwagon for the past 2 weeks pls forgive 🙏 :lollipop_weary:

I kept up on other exercises, though, exercises that are more challenging in every measurable way compared to RingFit. Hopping back into the game would be a snore, right?

Yet, I picked up RingFit today and still got a decent burn going. This thing just won't quit. It's one of those "it gives back what you put into it" sort of tools. Isometrics are criminally underrated and ignored, generally speaking, and this game uses them on the regular.

I think the major advantage is the upper-body exercise potential from the ringcon. Wii Fit was also a good exercise tool, but it was mostly cardio, calisthenics, and balance work. Those aren''t bad at all, but RingFit is objectively better on all counts. The resistance means you can actually get a full-body workout, no gimmick or compromise.

Killer app for Switch.

Bluecondor

This thing just won't quit. It's one of those "it gives back what you put into it" sort of tools. Isometrics are criminally underrated and ignored, generally speaking, and this game uses them on the regular.

I think the major advantage is the upper-body exercise potential from the ringcon. Wii Fit was also a good exercise tool, but it was mostly cardio, calisthenics, and balance work. Those aren''t bad at all, but RingFit is objectively better on all counts. The resistance means you can actually get a full-body workout, no gimmick or compromise.

Killer app for Switch.

I agree! I actually went out last year at this time and purchased a used WiiU so that I could play Wii FitU. This turned out to be a great choice, as I played Wii FitU nearly every day from last August through April (it was so great to have it during the lockdown in March and April).

Now that I have tried RingFit and see the range of exercises (like you said - both cardio and upper bpdy/strength exercises) and the isometrics that you get throughout the game, I am going to move on from Wii FitU. RingFit really is the next gen version of Wii Fit. I hope Nintendo releases a bunch of exercise games that use the ringcon. Maybe we will even see some third party developers do something with it.

Now I am thinking about how EA released a version of the Godfather on the Wii that used the Wii motion controller in game. An organized crime game that uses the RingFit would be an absolute must-play for me.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
my only question is the stomach push/block. whenever i do an enemy guard i seem to lose hearts, even though it seems like i am doing it right. any tips?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
my only question is the stomach push/block. whenever i do an enemy guard i seem to lose hearts, even though it seems like i am doing it right. any tips?
Is your hair on super-fire while holding the abs? That indicates you are doing the "full" version of any move. Damage is increased for any move performed with the full range of motion (not sure how much extra dmg).

You will still lose hearts when blocking, but the damage is usually reduced to 1/4th or 1/2 of a heart

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i bumped up the difficulty to the next level and got more winded this time. yeah this thing is great. gives my arms and shoulders a decent work-out. i like how customizable it is. during Adventure mode you can pick what you want to do, squats, overhead crunch, chair stance, etc.

very curious about the workings behind the scenes. the stretching videos have been different, im guessing it puts together stretches based on the exercises you have done that session? maybe they just have rotate them?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
i bumped up the difficulty to the next level and got more winded this time. yeah this thing is great. gives my arms and shoulders a decent work-out. i like how customizable it is. during Adventure mode you can pick what you want to do, squats, overhead crunch, chair stance, etc.

very curious about the workings behind the scenes. the stretching videos have been different, im guessing it puts together stretches based on the exercises you have done that session? maybe they just have rotate them?
Yes, the stretches are loosely based on the muscle groups you exercised most during that session. If you do nothing but sets of upper-body minigames, it won't even suggest a leg stretch, for instance.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
There are som floor exercises right now I have knee lift, there are 40 exercises in total iirc

Day three and woke up sore in my arms shoulders and core. I didn’t even go all in, I imagine doing an hour or more would be super effective. Wow.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Just got this and a Switch for a family member, and I intend to steal it a lot...Wow, this can really kick your butt! Repeated exercises with the ring can really sneak up on you even if you work out regularly otherwise.

Cha

My most played game on switch. Although, I haven't touched this game for a while because of work stuff. Burnt myself out from pushing too hard about 2 months ago, and have very sparsely played it since. Perhaps I'll give it another go tonight.

Last time I played I dropped the difficulty from 26 to 23. Defeating things more easily actually made me feel more comfortable working out. I liked the challenge at the beginning when everything was new, but as it starts to feel more like a chore, I need quick victories, or the fatigue sets in.
Doing less is better than doing nothing, right?

Do you guys have calorie or time goals when playing?
I used to aim for 150-200kcal per session.
Now I settle for 60-100kcal (more if theres lots of running).

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
My most played game on switch. Although, I haven't touched this game for a while because of work stuff. Burnt myself out from pushing too hard about 2 months ago, and have very sparsely played it since. Perhaps I'll give it another go tonight.

Last time I played I dropped the difficulty from 26 to 23. Defeating things more easily actually made me feel more comfortable working out. I liked the challenge at the beginning when everything was new, but as it starts to feel more like a chore, I need quick victories, or the fatigue sets in.
Doing less is better than doing nothing, right?

Do you guys have calorie or time goals when playing?
I used to aim for 150-200kcal per session.
Now I settle for 60-100kcal (more if theres lots of running).

I just play for 30 minutes a day. Usually right after work.

Easy way to do some minor workout, have fun, and move on.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Cleared world 2 today in a 30 min long session that had me dripping w sweat from the half point on.

I’ve now completed 100 squats! Yay! The kind of game achievement you want to see.

Front Press is my new jam, love that exercise but it always knocks me the fuck out. This game will kick your butt.

Last edited:

kingwingin

Unintentionally lost about 100 pounds since the pandemic started and looking to lose another 60.

Picked this up not necessarily for weightloss but to workout my upper body. Was very worried the ring would be too flimsy for me as a grown man but it really works your stabilizer muscles. I goofed around for maybe 10 minutes and I can feel it in my delts.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Unintentionally lost about 100 pounds since the pandemic started and looking to lose another 60.

Picked this up not necessarily for weightloss but to workout my upper body. Was very worried the ring would be too flimsy for me as a grown man but it really works your stabilizer muscles. I goofed around for maybe 10 minutes and I can feel it in my delts.
You’ll definitely feel it. Eventually, the workouts will get easy, which is when you can slap in some wrist and ankle weights on.

Good luck and congrats!

TriSuit666

Banned
How could you seriously compare a gym to that funny thing.

PS
Oh, and based on me observing my wife: bodybuilding is the real stuff. Pilates/aerobics et al is just a waste of time in comparison.
As an accompished Ironman, allow me to mansplain at you…

Pilates/Yoga is about range of movement, recognise that there are several ‘levels’ to each move (and probably what you’re seeing is the easiest version of that particular move).

And done properly a full Pilates session is just as good for your training regime as a standard conditioning workout with weights.

You might find more worth looking into Plyo movesets.

Last edited:

mxbison

How could you seriously compare a gym to that funny thing.

Because excercises don't magically become more effective when you're doing them in a gym.

It's a nice HIT workout disguised as a video games which makes it fun and helps push people harder than they usually would.

You sound like your main interests are biceps curls and bench press though so it's probably not for you and you'd be exhausted after 20 minutes of Ring Fit.

Last edited:
I'm really tempted on buying this one. My gf keeps saying she wants to exercise but it's boring to workout and with me being busy all day and barely have time for working out, I was wondering if this can help us both do some exercise.

Shaqazooloo

I'm really tempted on buying this one. My gf keeps saying she wants to exercise but it's boring to workout and with me being busy all day and barely have time for working out, I was wondering if this can help us both do some exercise.
Its fun enough to get me motivated to do some exercise. It tries to be a game that you can get a quick 15 to 60 minute workout and it has a some side content thats pretty fun as well.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I played quite a bit early in the pandemic then I dropped it. I came back after about 11 months. Ouch!

I hope they come out with another title that just mixes things up a bit. Hopefully one that shuts the fuck up and brings me straight to the menu instead of making me put the controller on. It's like forcing me to put my sox on before my pants. It doesn't fucking matter so let me do what I want.

Marvel14

Banned
I have always struggled with exercise discipline. Ring Fit has helped a whole lot...still manage to do 1 or 2 sessions per week after a year playing..the rpg gameplay, variable difficulty and moveset variety really help to keep you going. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

llien

Because excercises don't magically become more effective when you're doing them in a gym.

It's a nice HIT workout disguised as a video games which makes it fun and helps push people harder than they usually would.

You sound like your main interests are biceps curls and bench press though so it's probably not for you and you'd be exhausted after 20 minutes of Ring Fit.
I just found "but you save on not having to go to a gym" to be... quite a bit over the board point.

That lady from the video on the first page... does not look fit at all.

For people of a certain gender there is this girl, I can confirm I saw how effective it is:

Top Bottom