• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rikers Inmate Streams to Facebook Live From Behind Bars: Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Rikers Inmate Streams to Facebook Live From Behind Bars: Report

New York’s Rikers Island is, a jails go, a complete shitshow. In illustration of that fact, a Rikers inmate allegedly smuggled an iPhone into the jail and streamed his living conditions to Facebook Live on July 22, in a video obtained by PIX 11.

Excerpts of the video posted by PIX show the inmate—who has since been released—removing a scalpel hidden inside his mouth, which he later claimed he made himself. He says the stream was meant to show the poor conditions within Rikers and believes the only way to fix the jail is to shut it down completely. PIX claims the video was viewed over 7,000 times, though it’s unclear if it was taken down by Facebook or the inmate himself.

Though there are metal detectors installed in Rikers, it seems they weren’t able to catch either the blade or the iPhone in this inmate’s possession. As a result, Rikers is seeking authorization to employ body scanners similar to those in use with the TSA. A spokesperson for the New York Department of Corrections has claimed that the former inmate has since been arrested as a result of posting the video and “is facing serious charges.”

Video in question at the link.

http://pix11.com/2016/08/01/exclusi...mate-streamed-on-facebook-live-while-in-jail/

In the video, the former inmate shows off his jail cell, uniform and food. It's alarming and concerning to anyone who watches, and it's not over.

He then reaches down and unwraps what he describes to be a blade. Many inmates inside Rikers call it "the chop."

PIX11 has concealed the identity of the former inmate, who has since been released from Rikers Island and said he is speaking to us to highlight issues he has with the jail.

"The officers feel we have no say, no rights, no freedom of speech," the former inmate said.

Our conversation with him, however, happened a day after a correction officer was slashed in the face by another inmate. That guard needed five stitches, raising serious concerns about how this former inmate was able to have a blade.

PIX11: "Did a guard give it to you?"
Former Inmate: "No."
PIX11: "How did you get it?"
Former Inmate: "I made it myself."
PIX11: "Were you going to use it?"
Former Inmate: "Oh no, I wasn't going to use it. I can fight. I can fight very well. I can defend myself. " I wasn't going to use the blade."

"Front gate procedures are more heightened," Ponte said. "Everything has to go through a metal detector."

Yet this former inmate said he was able to get his iPhone past security.

"I brought it straight in with me," he said. "The metal detectors ain't right, that is the only thing I can say."

Related:
craig-blankenhorn-hbo_wide-fa165fc5edc942fe66eee84248210ecd033bc07d-s900-c85.jpg

BokehKing

Banned
And he just made it worse for everyone else in there!
Great job!

Code:
[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/aU1YpuRpr4yw8/giphy.gif[/img]

NeOak

And he just made it worse for everyone else in there!
Great job!

Code:
[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/aU1YpuRpr4yw8/giphy.gif[/img]
Oh lol. So you're blaming him for the shit that is going on?

Whistleblower blaming. Congrats.

Social media claims another one!

Why you'd post that dumb shit is beyond me. You JUST got out, man. Just chill and you home free. Nope. Why post evidence of you committing a crime....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom