• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riders Republic - does it get better?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Let me start by saying that I loved Steep. It was a chill game that captured the mountain environments well and balanced exploration with intense runs through crazy terrain. I should also say that I'm mostly interested in snowboarding, since I do that in real life.

I picked up Riders Republic on PS5 the other day and so far am very disappointed. Here are the issues I have so far:
  • Forced intro that takes you through specific events for way too long before you get to open world
  • Different "careers" (i.e. sports) must be unlocked over time as you progress through ones you might not care about as much
  • Lack of focus (mountain biking and snowboarding in the same area?)
  • Absolutely horrible dialogue and characters. Makes Forza Horizon's dialogue look like Schindler's List.
  • Strange physics. Granted, this was when mountain biking, but it felt twitchy and odd as I rode down a stretch of mountain. Just didn't feel right.
  • Seems to focus just on US national parks? Would much prefer more global locations instead a mashed together larger world in the US
  • Marketplace that is way over the top. Instead of normal gear, you get massive dinosaur heads, etc. Feels like it's trying to mimic Fortnite.
  • Basically, instead of a realistic mountain experience, it's more like a circus.
I've only played for like 2 hours, but I'm seriously thinking of selling the game. Does it get better? Are there at least some really good open world environments for snowboarding?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Satisfying Assembly Line GIF

The Ubisoft conveyor belt continues. I see this game on heavy discount already, same as Far Cry 6. They both look really fun to be honest but these games are generally nearly half price after a few months. This strategy can only work for so long and I think Ubisoft will eventually have to change it up. But as long as they’re raking in the bread, I doubt it.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

I dunno I never bought the game but what you just described sounds like my beta experience in this game lol. I steered clear of buying this after I played that.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ouch. That doesn’t sound all that amazing. I guess that’s why there’s still a market for dedicated hiking and biking sims. When I saw the trailer I felt like I was seeing some game celebrating its anniversary. It didn’t look appealing for a new comer, which makes me stay far away. It looked like it has a fan base already. Which is probably them trying to gain that Fortnite success. That whole punk character rocking down a mountain side doesn’t look appealing to me.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Black Friday
Sure I understand that, I think even without that though they would have already dropped it. I’m not dissing the game, I’m just saying it looks fun and they had this emphasis on “large events” like fall guys. I think this would have been an awesome free to play game and make their money on micro transactions.

Beechos

Also is it just me or the graphics look like shit. If someone told me this was a 360 game it wouldnt surprise me. I stopped playing after the forza like intro.

Tommi84

Yeah, the forced intro to all activities felt like a slog. Thankfully, I only played this game during the free weekend

Ogbert

Not really.

Ubisoft are an odd company. They try way, way, WAY too hard with their games.

You could strip out half the content and their titles would improve massively.

Division 2 was legitimately good though.

Buki1

• Marketplace that is way over the top. Instead of normal gear, you get massive dinosaur heads, etc. Feels like it's trying to mimic Fortnite.
  • Basically, instead of a realistic mountain experience, it's more like a circus.

Ubisoft tries the "hello fellow kids" tactic way too hard nowadays to pull some Fortnite audience. I swear all their new games are starting as somehow realistic in setting (like Valhalla, Far Cry and this) only to throw some goofy as shit at you all the time in hope some youtuber will upload it to their channels and make 12 year old viewers laugh and buy that game. Its hard to take a story about the Vikings serious if the merchants in your settlement tries to sell you a damn unicorn to ride on, a lightsaber and a robot costume.

You want to make a silly game? Cool, I like Fall Guys too. You want a game in real world setting? Thats cool too, I like RDR2.

But those things just don't mix. Decide what kind of game you want to make instead trying to cater to every demographic possible at once. Game world needs to be consistent to make you sink in.

Bluecondor

Ubisoft tries the "hello fellow kids" tactic way too hard nowadays to pull some Fortnite audience. I swear all their new games are starting as somehow realistic in setting (like Valhalla, Far Cry and this) only to throw some goofy as shit at you all the time in hope some youtuber will upload it to their channels and make 12 year old viewers laugh and buy that game. Its hard to take a story about the Vikings serious if the merchants in your settlement tries to sell you a damn unicorn to ride on, a lightsaber and a robot costume.

You want to make a silly game? Cool, I like Fall Guys too. You want a game in real world setting? Thats cool too, I like RDR2.

But those things just don't mix. Decide what kind of game you want to make instead trying to cater to every demographic possible at once. Game world needs to be consistent to make you sink in.
I agree!

I am playing through the Discovery Tour on Valhalla right now. While I really enjoy this, there are some really cringy parts to the dialogue with references to gender and religious tolerance that have clearly been included to make the game look like it's edgy. The whole vibe is "Hey kids, the Vikings launched terrifying surprise attacks on weakly defended monasteries along the English coast, but they partied hard and all faiths, creeds and genders were welcome at their feasts."

Bluecondor

• Absolutely horrible dialogue and characters. Makes Forza Horizon's dialogue look like Schindler's List.
I keep laughing at this line. I've never even played a Forza game, but I played the Riders Republic demo. The dialogue is absolutely brutal. I can't even imagine having real life conversations like these with actual people, especially when Suki and "Triple OG" Brett start bantering back and forth with lines like "“hotter than a goat’s butt in a pepper patch.”

• Lack of focus (mountain biking and snowboarding in the same area?)

I think it's meant to take influence from these types of events that actually do happen in the real. As for the physics its kinda like this so the game doesn't become unforgiving when smacking into something because I guess they want the gameplay to still be fun.

The Ubisoft conveyor belt continues. I see this game on heavy discount already, same as Far Cry 6. They both look really fun to be honest but these games are generally nearly half price after a few months.

The Ubisoft conveyor belt continues. I see this game on heavy discount already, same as Far Cry 6. They both look really fun to be honest but these games are generally nearly half price after a few months.

Where can I get this for Half price. I checked the MS store thinking about getting it on my XSX but the game is still like £40.

RavageX

Was in the beta. I have to agree, the game tries too hard to be cool. Forza does the same, but thankfully i can avoid most of it there.

I just get tired of all the "cool" terms and clothes when i just want to have fun racing or exploring.

Now that i think about it, im tired of wacky shit in games period.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Forget decking the halls – time to hit the slopes in Riders Republic's Winter Bash event! Join all-new holiday season activities, compete in new events, unlock new outfits, and much more. The Winter Bash event is available in Riders Republic through March 21.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How I wish they had just made Steep 2. I loved the original. So chill just zening out down some mountainside. I hate that they went all "RADICAL DUDE!" with this.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Riders Republic is having their first Winter Bash event for the holidays and with it players are getting a new Toy to ride: The Jumbo Bike. Jumbo Bikes have high shock absorption and are perfect for getting over rough and snowy terrain that you couldn't with your other bikes. Riders Republic Holiday Bash also features new Jumbo Bike events to earn more stars.

N° 2048

after the tutorial it opens up but it's pretty much only good for "I'm bored let's put a podcast or an album on and bike/snowboard or whatever"

there's no story, the dialogue is a bit try hard as well

I really regret buying this at non discount price

Top Bottom