• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riders Republic beta keys going out (NDA)

drotahorror

Played for two hrs , now deleted, not for me, glad i got to play as saves me some money, looks like wont be getting my snowboardin fix on ps5, good job can still play ssx on pc and xbox x

SSX 2012 or the old ones? I'd love to play 2012 on PC.

What do ya know, looks like it runs @ 60fps on PC via 360 emulator

Last edited:

nbkicker

Ive Got a ps2 and gamecube emulator on pc with ssx, ssx tricky and ssx3 and ssx on tour on roms on a harddrive and also ssx3 and the newer ssx 2012 on my xbox x, for me i didnt like the reboot 2012 game or ssx on tour, i preferred ssx tricky and ssx 3

Last edited:

Larxia

I really don't like it, really awful in my opinion.
The visuals are really disappointing, it's just straight up ugly, everything looks kind of plastic / fake, especially in the desert, I think Steep looked a lot better. I wish we could at least turn off the chromatic aberration.
Also who thought it was a good idea to make that laser thing connect two friends when they are close to each others? It looks terrible and is super distracting.

Gameplay wise it's not much better, controls are weird, heavy, it feels like a huge input lag in everything and it's just really limited in what you can do.
Atmosphere is really not for me either, while Steep was at least great for its atmosphere and visuals.

People who say Riders Republic remind them of SSX clearly don't remember how SSX played like.

I LOVE SSX 2012, never understood the hate for it, the gameplay is so perfect and satisfying. I really wish it was on PC too. I did try it on Xenia, but it constantly drops, holding 60fps isn't possible for me with a GTX 1080 (Xenia relies heavily on GPU), and that's at 720p. Maybe a 3080 or 3090 could hold the 60 fps, though I wish it was possible to play it at both 60 fps and at least 1080p.
But I also really liked the online features of it back then, and we will never get that with emulation sadly.

drotahorror

I played for a bit until my controller died. I can see it getting old real quick. All the sports I tried had very little depth imo. If you want to mountain bike, Descenders is way better, and if you don't mind an isometric view, Lonely Mountains: Downhill is top fucking notch. Steep is more technical and a better game for snow sports. SSX is still the best snowboarding arcade series.

drotahorror

I LOVE SSX 2012, never understood the hate for it, the gameplay is so perfect and satisfying. I really wish it was on PC too. I did try it on Xenia, but it constantly drops, holding 60fps isn't possible for me with a GTX 1080 (Xenia relies heavily on GPU), and that's at 720p. Maybe a 3080 or 3090 could hold the 60 fps, though I wish it was possible to play it at both 60 fps and at least 1080p.
But I also really liked the online features of it back then, and we will never get that with emulation sadly.

Damn, I was going to try it too with my 1080. I actually never really played it on console, just for a few minutes. Always wanted to get into it though.

Larxia

Damn, I was going to try it too with my 1080. I actually never really played it on console, just for a few minutes. Always wanted to get into it though.
You can play it at 30fps / 720p, basically just like the original on 360, I did it for a few hours, but if you really want to discover it in good conditions, I think you should wait until it runs better, the game is really good and deserves a better quality / framerate.
I'm in the same boat with Tony Hawk's Project 8 too, I love this episode, but it never came on PC, it doesn't run on Xenia, and on RPCS3 you can only really play it at 30 fps, with some drops... I would really like being able to play it at a solid 60 fps one day.

wipeout364

I'm not in the beta but the game completely turns me off with it's ads that are trying to be edgy and cool. The one with the guy with the rainbow smoke coming out of the gas mask, and the guy with the panda mask and the dancing is a serious cringe fest. I don't know who they think would be excited to play the game after that. It sounds like it is disappointing so I am glad I passed on pre-ordering.

Whitecrow

Banned
Well, I love it. Races with multiple disciplines together are so fun.
The game have a lot of potential.

Performance is horrible tho.
Hope it gets fixed on the final release.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Not gonna lie, this game looks fun as hell.

Quick question, does the NDA mean we can't stream this game?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
If you are enjoying the biking in this game, you should really check out Descenders, especially if you are a Game Pass subscriber.

SSX 2012?

200w.gif

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

I’ll have more of a go later but my initial impressions are disappointing. It’s a cross gen game and it shows. Gutted really as it has all the sports I love. Still, it’s made me more excited for Shredders later this year.

saintjules

I’ll have more of a go later but my initial impressions are disappointing. It’s a cross gen game and it shows. Gutted really as it has all the sports I love. Still, it’s made me more excited for Shredders later this year.

Interesting. Looks like it will be a while longer before we see true new-gen looking sports games.

Pejo

I used to play the shit out of 2Extreme on PS1, so this might be right up my alley. I wish you could subtract all the Fortnite inspiration out of it, but as long as it's fun to play I can look past it.

Larxia

It’s a cross gen game and it shows
I really don't think the issue lies with it being cross gen, there are tons of last gen games that look 100 times better than this, even ps3 games, like SSX 2012 we talked about earlier here, looks a lot better than this for example.

This game really has a weird... prototype, unfinished look. It also really lacks a good art direction, it just feels dead and ugly. Steep looked 2 generations better than this.

Larxia

SSX 2012?

200w.gif
Did you actually really play it, and I mean really, not just quickly looking at it, or do you just repeat what many people do about this game for some reason?

SSX 2012 has a fantastic core gameplay. It controls perfectly, it's reactive, it's crazy fun with great tricks and combo system, it's a perfect old school type of arcade sport game.

I get that many people don't like the deadly descents, but hating the game for that is crazy, the deadly descents were only a very minor part of the game, they acted as boss tracks for the end of each mountain, but the whole rest of the game had all the classic SSX stuff, with regular races and trick challenges.
I'm a huge fan of SSX 3, but I also totally love SSX 2012, and I really can't see how someone who enjoy SSX Tricky / 3, can also hate SSX 2012, it just doesn't make any sense to me given how great it is gameplay wise.

I'm really sad that people hated on this game, because I think it led to this genre dying. SSX 2012 was really the last game that was ever created like this, the previous one being Tony Hawk's Proving Ground back in 2007 which was the last tony hawk by Activision. I was so happy when SSX 2012 happened, because it's my favorite genre of video game, and I loved the game, but sadly it wasn't a success, and we never ever got another game like this, I really miss these old days of extreme arcade sport games, based on scoring, multiplier, combo etc, rather than the more "realistic" stuff we got later with Skate and others (I do like Skate too, but it's really different and I miss the crazy over the top scoring games).

Last edited:

Larxia

So, those who played, is it really that bad? >_< The trailer was cool =(
If you liked the trailers, I guess that means you might at least like the "cool and hype" atmosphere, so that would be a positive for you, it's something that I personally don't like and I prefered the atmosphere of Steep.

But gameplay wise yes it's quite bad, especially the mountain bikes. Snowboards / skis control a bit better but the gameplay is extremely limited, even compared to Steep.
Also I don't know if I missed it but it seems like regular wingsuits are gone and it's only rocket suits now? But maybe I just didn't unlock it.

Inviusx

It's pretty smooth on PS5, 60fps for sure but absolutely nothing next gen about it and there are some serious frame drops at the start of a mass race.

It basically looks like a last gen game running at 60fps which is fine I guess.

I don't understand why they feel the need to show hundreds of NPCs on the map though, I don't know if it's to give the illusion of more players or something? I would like to be able to turn that off to only show real players.

It is pretty fun though, I won my first mass race.

Last edited:

drotahorror

If you are enjoying the biking in this game, you should really check out Descenders, especially if you are a Game Pass subscriber.

SSX 2012?

200w.gif

I never played 2012. And the only way I would play it is if /when I can emulate on PC at 60fps.

I mentioned Descenders and Lonely Mountain Downhill over Riders Republic as well in an earlier post. My taste in games isn't that questionable. I just always wanted to try 2012 but never had the chance. I thought the idea of avalanches happening while playing sounded cool. Kind of like NFS The Run had similar action-y events happening. The Run was pretty underrated in terms of track design. People shit on it for the story (who gives a fuck about story in racing games?) The tracks and racing were very fun though.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I never played 2012. And the only way I would play it is if /when I can emulate on PC at 60fps.

I mentioned Descenders and Lonely Mountain Downhill over Riders Republic as well in an earlier post. My taste in games isn't that questionable. I just always wanted to try 2012 but never had the chance. I thought the idea of avalanches happening while playing sounded cool. Kind of like NFS The Run had similar action-y events happening. The Run was pretty underrated in terms of track design. People shit on it for the story (who gives a fuck about story in racing games?) The tracks and racing were very fun though.

Don't care about the story. It's not a good SSX and should be the last game in the series anyone wants to go to.

drotahorror

Don't care about the story. It's not a good SSX and should be the last game in the series anyone wants to go to.

I didn't mention the story of SSX, there is one? Lol

I said NFS The Run was criticized for it's story when no one should care about a story in a racing game.

I only mentioned SSX 2012 because I never played it. I grew up with SSX on PS2 and played the shit out of all those classic arcade sport racing games. From Downhill Domination, to Freekstyle, to all the SSX games.

CamHostage

I really don't think the issue lies with it being cross gen, there are tons of last gen games that look 100 times better than this...

This game really has a weird... prototype, unfinished look. It also really lacks a good art direction, it just feels dead and ugly. Steep looked 2 generations better than this.

Well, it is unfinished, so maybe the final package will have some of the issues ironed out. Videos do look a little more plain than the trailers (although sometimes that happens) and there's a lot of draw-in and fog and other technical issues, so it could be in need of more polish that's not included in this build or it could be just what it is. Also, I'm noticing that the animations seem incredibly canned, like too easy and devoid of physics (characters magnetize over to rails, or when they go into a flip trick they just twist immediately full speed a dozen times and pull out easy,) and maybe that's a high-level moveset or sometime in that video but when I look at Steep I see it had a more realistic and challenging technique to mastering tricks. It's a difference between arcade-style and more sports-style, but having less reality kind of makes the visual sheen less "realistic" to my eye.

Still hoping RR is good in the end, I want to like it, but I was hoping for a Crew 2-style Steep to-the-max sequel, and instead Riders is looking like it is different game.

If it doesn't work out, Shredders is supposed to hit Xbox Series in December (and I think PC too? it's coming "first to Xbox", so maybe other platforms too afterwards, but that'll be a wait,) so hopefully one of these will fill the void we've had in trickstyle games for too long now...

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
I start to understand why devs doesnt come here anymore.

People not knowing what a beta is and trashing the graphics without appreciating how massive the world and the population is and what the game achieved, can make any sane person want to punch faces.

Anyways, your loss.

AFMichel

Neo Member

People not knowing what a beta is and trashing the graphics without appreciating how massive the world and the population is and what the game achieved, can make any sane person want to punch faces.

Anyways, your loss.
To be fair, inn 99% of cases alpha = beta = final product, the beta is the nearly finished product. There are no big graphical or art direction changes coming

Larxia

Anyways, your loss.
The gameplay isn't good, the whole core gameplay is insanely lacking and not intersting, and this won't change in just 2 months...
It doesn't matter how big the world is if it's not interesting nor pretty to look at.

The game has big issues that can't be change in just 2 months, it's really the direction they wanted for the game so I hardly doubt it's because it's in beta.
It's not like if this was an alpha of something coming in 2 years.

VN1X

Banned
I forget but will this be free to play or no?

In any case after playing the closed test I was positively surprised so I'll definitely check out the full game when it''s out. Controls were tight and the sound design stood out as well with a lot of attention to to detail (especially on a bike when storming down a mountain and hitting fast turns, making big jumps, etc). The writing and characters are still of the 'cool & hip' staple of games we've come to expect of Ubi recently (ie: very awkward and cringy at times) but otherwise this seems very solid out of the gate.

To be fair, inn 99% of cases alpha = beta = final product, the beta is the nearly finished product. There are no big graphical or art direction changes coming
This.

I've never played a beta and then saw that the final version was vastly different. It's usually to stress test the servers.

Inviusx

Well I'm done with the Beta. Overall it was pretty fun but technically it was a bit of mess, especially from a server perspective where everything felt like it was barely holding together.

Despite being a shared world it feels very empty except for once an hour when the mass races were on.

I think I would have preferred the 3 stages of the race be split between locations and the whole crew had to travel between each stage as pack. When everyone is packed together thats when the game shines so sectioning it off to its own mode that only pops once an hour is kinda lame. I would prefer to just queue for mass races over and over again.

I think this is definitely one of those titles that is being shackled by the previous generation. They can't really do any more than what we already know is capable with this engine, which is a gigantic open map populated by like 24 people, kinda lonely.

I'll be keeping an eye on any changes they might make between now and launch but for me this is a deep deep sale / wait for the PS Plus version kinda game.

M.W.

The races are every 15 minutes. They last about 15 minutes too so you could conceivably just keep doing them over and over.

thatJohann

I played an hour of the PS5 version.

I love the first person biking view, you can even hear the breath of the biker and wind swooshing past you, very exhilarating, and you can see the different handlebars which I appreciate.

I like the feeling of skiing in the snow, the tracks it leaves as you swish left and right, reminds me of 1080 Snowboarding.

Graphics are OK, but I expected something more impressive. There's screen tearing on PS5 altho I realize this is is pre-release code.

The part I disliked is all the excessive tutorials on how to navigate the map and events. It's so cumbersome and drives me crazy that I can't make the bro announcer shut up.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

SquillieDee

Great song selection too. This game is a banger.

I think it's awesome. Not sure why some people have a stick up their ass.
Im with you man, I don't understand the hate. This game is fun as hell, way better than I was expecting to be honest. There is a TON of stuff to do, The 64 player racers are absolute madness, the other races feel fast and intense, the tricks are great, lots of variety, I love it!! I actually enjoyed it so much I'm considering buying it at launch, and I havent bought a game since Witcher 3 (gamepaaaaaass). I highly recommend that people try this game for their selves before they make an opinion on it.

Top Bottom