• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RGT: Playstation 5 Pro Is COMING - PS5 Pro Performance, Ray Tracing Innovations, Release Date & Specs

What are you? 12?

I've bought and collected games for 30+ years. I no longer care. Hundreds mean nothing to me, convenience however.

Now that's worth a lot.
Hundreds multiplied over many times you don’t care?

I love finding clearance Nintendo games for like $5-15 at the end of a console’s life cycle only for them to be worth 10 times or more later.

To sell your collection for “pennies” as you put it only to praise streaming, just makes me scratch my head. Just get some storage bins and pack them
away ffs. 30 years of collecting, damn.

Have you seen some of these retro game prices these days? It’s literally better investment than stocks sometimes.

Anyways i’m talking so much about money but yes also owning the games and playing them locally is very important.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Hundreds multiplied over many times you don’t care?

I love finding clearance Nintendo games for like $5-15 at the end of a console’s life cycle only for them to be worth 10 times or more later.

To sell your collection for “pennies” as you put it only to praise streaming, just makes me scratch my head. Just get some storage bins and pack them
away ffs. 30 years of collecting, damn.

Have you seen some of these retro game prices these days? It’s literally better investment than stocks sometimes.

Anyways i’m talking so much about money but yes also owning the games and playing them locally is very important.
I just lost interest. I had games covering walls floor to ceiling, and it's like one day I just looked at it and thought "this is so fucking ugly" lol.

I dunno, the collector in me just kinda died. I have a good job so the money isn't a factor.

But it was fun seeing kids getting a lot of games for cheap though. Exacrly the excitement I've lost for it.

I just lost interest. I had games covering walls floor to ceiling, and it's like one day I just looked at it and thought "this is so fucking ugly" lol.

I dunno, the collector in me just kinda died. I have a good job so the money isn't a factor.

But it was fun seeing kids getting a lot of games for cheap though. Exacrly the excitement I've lost for it.
I can understand that but man it just hurts to think about you getting rid of them for so little. My apologies for being rude. I guess I enjoy collecting so much it upset me 😅

I make decent money too but I always look for wheeling and dealing opportunities. Don’t care if it’s a house sale, stocks or stacks of video games.

Kimahri

Banned
I can understand that but man it just hurts to think about you getting rid of them for so little. My apologies for being rude. I guess I enjoy collecting so much it upset me 😅

I make decent money too but I always look for wheeling and dealing opportunities. Don’t care if it’s a house sale, stocks or stacks of video games.
I had too many games. I just got sick of it.

I started selling individual games, but fuck, that shit eats time. So I went bulk instead.

I still have boxes of games in the attic and some select games fill a bookshelf still, but I'm out of the collecting game. I think I had thousands, no idea.

But I totally get the collecting bug. There's a reason I had so many games. I just kinda overdosed.

Dream-Knife

Banned
What? It’s mathematically the same percentage difference.

Don’t give me anecdotal results from games ; 30 to 60 is and identical leap as 60 to 120.

I would argue that any shortcomings 120fps modes have stem from the focus being less compared to the other modes.
Percentage wise, yes, a 100% increase.

Going from 30 to 60 requires hardware twice as powerful. Going from 60 to 120 requires hardware twice as powerful, or 4 times as powerful as the 30 fps machine.

Or alternatively you cut workload to the gpu by reducing settings, resolution, etc.

Can't happen soon enough.
To everyone saying there is no need:
If there was no need we wouldn't have quality and performance as separate modes.

We could have quality plus performance plus much more rt, and we can always have more 120fps
There will always be two modes if the developers want to give the consumer that option. It's a dumbed down version of having 50 settings on PC.

Would you rather not have any options?

Neo_game

It is fair guess that Pro will be 2x in rasterization, 2.5x in RT from the PS5. So around 6800XT with 72CU. I hope it is true but it is very unlikely they can release it in 2023 for 500$. PS5 Slim and PSVR2 is probably their priority anyways for now. Sony also claimed PS5 will last 10yrs which is pretty much impossible without a Pro some where in between.

Tqaulity

It is fair guess that Pro will be 2x in rasterization, 2.5x in RT from the PS5. So around 6800XT with 72CU. I hope it is true but it is very unlikely they can release it in 2023 for 500$. PS5 Slim and PSVR2 is probably their priority anyways for now. Sony also claimed PS5 will last 10yrs which is pretty much impossible without a Pro some where in between.
If we use the 6600XT/2070S as a baseline, a 2x improvement in raster perf will put it well beyond a 6800XT. In fact, even a 6900XT is not quite 2x faster than the 6600XT (Link). 2x raster and 2.5x RT would put perf at or slightly above the RTX 3090Ti (in terms of real world game perf not theoretical perf differences). Of course by the time the PS5 pro comes out ~2024, we'll have 1-2 more GPU generations on PC to make that level of perf look mid-tier. But that still would be a hefty amount of power to play with.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Please let it be smaller, quieter, and less ugly. I definitely want Pro models though. I already feel the SX and PS5 are just barely powerful enough.

Hezekiah

Banned
Man i want to want this but if the damn thing is as big or bigger than the current PS5 i just can't. I already have multiple full size tower computers in my house haha If they find a way to improve performance but slim it down i will buy one. Not buying a PS again until they figure out how to shrink the footprint.
You want a significantly more powerful version of the PS5 in a smaller package, in the near future? Not happening.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Glad to hear it, PS5 base will look old in two years.

2x GPU raster performance
2.5x RT performance
5nm TSMC
2023-2024
Why stop at 2x performance? If we are all wishfully thinking, let's shoot for 4x GPU raster performance and 5X RT performance 3nm TSMC with 32G of RAM.

aclar00

Given the state of cross-gen, what would you really get from a pro? I imagine just the upgraded res and framerate? I dont graphically fidelity or anything else would change.

Knightime_X

This is such a scam.
I'll be skipping ps5 pro and will not buy a ps6 until ps6 pro drops.

Either be transparent about these upgrades at the start of the new generation or don't do it at all.

I'm not buying the ps5 twice.
Fu sony. 😡

Javthusiast

Banned
Estoy Aqui Real Madrid GIF

Please let it be smaller, quieter, and less ugly. I definitely want Pro models though. I already feel the SX and PS5 are just barely powerful enough.
Function over form, especially for a Pro model.

I don't want a repeat of PS4 Pro. This obsession with wanting to shrink everything and have it look 'less ugly' on every new model for the sake of aesthetics has to stop. Consoles are already limited by needing to be small form factor.

Last edited:

I don't want a repeat of PS4 Pro. This obsession with wanting to shrink everything and have it look 'less ugly' on every new model for the sake of aesthetics has to stop. Consoles are already limited by needing to be small form factor.
That being said,

the ps5 didn’t have to be smaller but it is an ugly, unbalanced monstrosity.

S0ULZB0URNE

You have got to be mad to pay 800 for a 500 device especially when there are so few actual PS5 exclusive most can still be play on PS4

wqkIcNl.gif
Many do and some pay more.
It's a hot item.

People rather play the best exclusives on the PS5 not on PS4 that's why they are so sought after.

Don't know any reputable people who rather play those exclusives on PS4 than PS5.

vDQpDEv.gif

Many do and some pay more.
It's a hot item.

People rather play the best exclusives on the PS5 not on PS4 that's why they are so sought after.

Don't know any reputable people who rather play those exclusives on PS4 than PS5.

vDQpDEv.gif
people are fools seriously there is no way that make any sense paying scalpers over 300 more than retail price is insane

6hggX2E.gif

people are fools seriously there is no way that make any sense paying scalpers over 300 more than retail price is insane

6hggX2E.gif
its not like people can buy ps5 for retail price at the store. They sell out in seconds at Walmart, bestbuy, Amazon, etc.

Online is the same.

There are bots that buy them up.

You should be In the pc thread calling everyone fools because they can't get a graphics card at msrp.

its not like people can buy ps5 for retail price at the store. They sell out in seconds at Walmart, bestbuy, Amazon, etc.

Online is the same.

You should be In the pc thread calling everyone fools because they can't get a graphics card at msrp.
PS5 has sold over 17 million are you telling me it is all scalpers that is impossible at most scalpers account for like 2-3 million total that leaves 14 million for the public

PS5 has sold over 17 million are you telling me it is all scalpers that is impossible at most scalpers account for like 2-3 million total that leaves 14 million for the public
Go to eBay and type in ps5. Under each listing you will see how many ps5s sold at what price.

One listing says that 341 ps5s were sold at $999. another says 185 were sold at $899. It's not millions but I dont want to count.

It just proves that people are buying them at above msrp.

I'm not saying you're wrong about the numbers. You made it seem like no body was buying ps5s above msrp. Hence my post. I agree with you that probably 2-3 million were sold by scalpers.

S0ULZB0URNE

Online is the same.

Right the 3090 has been upwards of $3000 and is usually marked up above the $1500 retail price.

Last edited:

the_master

Percentage wise, yes, a 100% increase.

Going from 30 to 60 requires hardware twice as powerful. Going from 60 to 120 requires hardware twice as powerful, or 4 times as powerful as the 30 fps machine.

Or alternatively you cut workload to the gpu by reducing settings, resolution, etc.

There will always be two modes if the developers want to give the consumer that option. It's a dumbed down version of having 50 settings on PC.

Would you rather not have any options?

Since games are still released on PS4, we will need a "Performance mode" Because they are released in PS5, we will have a "Quality mode"
If we get a PS5 Pro, we can enjoy Quality mode at performance, that is what I want for the time being.

If not for this, I would also like Same curated experience from the devs where they tune the game for optimal settings in a console according tot heir vision, as it always was the case. But with the focus on 60 fps, the (sadly) imposed requirement of 4K and current time visual features.

DJ12

I don't get it, the ps5 looks beautiful hidden behind my TV.

Zeroing

Banned

What you mean less ugly? Original PS4 was beautiful, the pro model was ugly! Maybe this gen the pro model is the prettier console!

I get that some don’t care about design or how the console looks like but some people do.

if all the console manufacturers followed the form over fuction we would end up with all consoles that look like generic black boxes…

Bramble

Can't happen soon enough.
To everyone saying there is no need:
If there was no need we wouldn't have quality and performance as separate modes.

We could have quality plus performance plus much more rt, and we can always have more 120fps

Lol.

You can have a 100TF GPU with 128GB of RAM, if a dev chooses graphical fidelity over fps, you will still be stuck with 30 and 60fps. Are you new here?

We haven't reached the potential of PS5 yet, not even close.

That being said,

the ps5 didn’t have to be smaller but it is an ugly, unbalanced monstrosity.
Couldn't give an iota of a fuck on what it looks like.
If it's thermally effecient at getting rid of heat while keeping noise to a minimum then I'm all for it.
I don't want a repeat of the PS4 Pro where I'm forced to wear headphones to enjoy my games.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
It probably is, but firstly TSMC needs to establish the 5nm process, and then AMD needs to finalize RDNA3 GPU architecture.

And please stop giving RGT any clicks, he's as relevant as Patcher.

Couldn't give an iota of a fuck on what it looks like.
If it's thermally effecient at getting rid of heat while keeping noise to a minimum then I'm all for it.
I don't want a repeat of the PS4 Pro where I'm forced to wear headphones to enjoy my games.
It’s more than what it looks like it’s unbalanced when set horizontally and it is not a silent machine although my unit doesn’t have coil whine thankfully. And Headphones are the best thing anyways lol.

Its size would be less an issue if it weren’t so awkward.

Launch ps4 pro was so loud I had to sell mine but later units were ok.

Last edited:

McHuj

It probably is, but firstly TSMC needs to establish the 5nm process, and then AMD needs to finalize RDNA3 GPU architecture.

And please stop giving RGT any clicks, he's as relevant as Patcher.

Both of the have already happened, TSMC 5nm is used to produce Apple's M1 chips. They're big and very high performance. By the time PS5 Pro ships, Apple will be moving onto 3/4nm processes so in another year plenty of capacity should start opening up at 5nm.

RDNA3 is shipping this year and even if that's in Q4 of 2022, that means the architecture was closed last year. Specs and architecture are frozen 12-18 months before intended commercial production.

Top Bottom