• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reuters] Tencent seeks to raise stake in 'Assassin's Creed' maker Ubisoft and become the single largest shareholder

Leyasu

Banned
HONG KONG, Aug 4 (Reuters) - Tencent Holdings Ltd plans to raise its stake in French video game group Ubisoft Entertainment SA as the Chinese gaming giant pivots to the global gaming market, four sources with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters.

China's largest social network and gaming firm, which bought a 5% stake in Ubisoft in 2018, has reached out to the French firm's founding Guillemot family and expressed interest in increasing its stake in the firm, the sources said.

It is not clear how much more Tencent plans to own in Ubisoft, valued at $5.3 billion, but Tencent aims to become the single largest shareholder of the French company with an additional stake purchase, two of the sources said.

Tencent plans to buy a part of the additional stake in Ubisoft, the maker of the blockbuster "Assassin's Creed" video game franchise, from the Guillemot family, which owns 15% of the firm, three of the sources said.

Tencent could offer up to 100 euros ($101.84) per share to acquire the additional stake, two of the sources with knowledge of the internal discussions, said. It paid 66 euros per share for the 5% stake in 2018.

At the top end of 100 euros per share, Tencent's offer will be a premium of 127% to the stock's 44 euros average price over the past three months, and is close to its historical price ceiling at 108 euros in 2018.

Tencent has submitted to the Guillemot family a term sheet - a non-binding offer describing the basic terms and conditions of an investment, said one of the people, with a price "way above" the company's current price to ward off potential competition.

The aggressive offer also comes as global gaming power houses have been rushing to snap up quality independent game makers in recent years, which are in scarcity, two of the sources said.

www.reuters.com

Exclusive: Tencent seeks to raise stake in 'Assassin's Creed' maker Ubisoft - sources

Tencent Holdings Ltd plans to raise its stake in French video game group Ubisoft Entertainment SA as the Chinese gaming giant pivots to the global gaming market, four sources with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters.
www.reuters.com

Another publisher getting acquired possibly.

Shamelessly ripped from another forum

Last edited:

Elios83

They are the ones selling their shares to Tencent. They are getting over 2x the value for each share.
Ah I missed that (still at work..) that's really interesting...to convince them to sell even if they got offered a lot of money it means they probably believe the ship is sinking....

Shut0wen

Honestly id much rather tencent then sierra, hopefully force ubi to avoid GAAS trend and actually go back to making something decent but thats hopeful thinking since no one talented actually works there and they employ nothing but script kiddies

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
100 per share?
In 2022?
Does Ubisoft even have a big game lined up for 2022?

Sell!
SELL!

I couldn't care less what happens to publishers like EA, Activision and ubisoft. I haven't played a game from any of these publishers in years and I doubt I will, anytime soon. What am I missing? Fifa, cod and AC? I'm actually gaining by not playing these shite games.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Honestly id much rather tencent then sierra, hopefully force ubi to avoid GAAS trend and actually go back to making something decent but thats hopeful thinking since no one talented actually works there and they employ nothing but script kiddies
Sierra? Didn't they stop making games years ago?

Episode 4 Movie GIF by Star Wars

xrnzaaas

Remember when players were upset about plans of Ubisoft's aggressive takeover some years back? Couldn't care less about what happens to them right now.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Would much rather have Vivendi than commies.
Yes this is worse even if you're under the illusion of having creative freedom from Tencent. They definitely picked a good moment with Ubisoft being weak from not having successful releases (except for AC).

Yes this is worse even if you're under the illusion of having creative freedom from Tencent.
There can be creative freedom under Tencent. My favorite game is 100% owned by Tencent and there was zero impact on the game's development. The Chinese version of the game is an entirely seperate entity and is obviously quite different from the original, but that hasn't impacted the original at all.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

There can be creative freedom under Tencent. My favorite game is 100% owned by Tencent and there was zero impact on the game's development. The Chinese version of the game is an entirely seperate entity and is obviously quite different from the original, but that hasn't impacted the original at all.
I know things won't change right away but I'd still hold my reservations for the future, especially censoring stuff if Tencent demands it for regions outside of China as well.

The Guillemot Family will sell their souls even to the Devil if it makes them that much money. Well, if they still have souls by this point.

Fuck Ubisoft.

Could tencent make their own console?

Why would they? There is zero need for them to invest billions of dollars to make the kind of money they are raking in right now. The barriers of entry are tough to crack when it comes to launching a console, and the videogames industry is headed toward a platforms "agnostic" approach anyway, with the rise of mobile, services, streaming and PC convergence. Tencent is at least 10 years late to the hardware market, and, frankly, they could not care less about it right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom