• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

returning to a game you haven't played in a long time...

Kuranghi

Whenever I go back to Phantom Pain I always dive on the ground instead of punching/grabbing someone from behind and its funny every time. Just used to square being grab and circle being punch in MGS since forever, it does make more sense to have dive on face button instead of grab in PP though since you use it way more often, ime anyway.

Toots

Gold Member
It happens to me often when i'm nearing the end of a game.
I tell myself "ok i'm almost finished, lets take some time, maybe play some other game for a bit, and when i'm ready i'll finish it".
When i go back to the game 6 month later, i'm a beginner again but with a final boss save state, just like in the good old days when you bought a second hand snes rpg and the previous owner did not wipe his saves.

Right now i have this very problem with Yakuza 6 ( save state just before the last taxi ride), Day's gone (save state just before the windmill horde clean up), Persona 5 (just before the politician boss), and surely others i forget.

intbal

I would have to say Fallout 3 and Skyrim and Witcher 3.

After I beat the main game in Witcher 3, I stopped playing it for a year. When I finally returned to begin the expansions, it took me 3 or 4 days to fully reclaim all the playing skills required by the game.

After a year long break in the middle of Divinity 2 (Ego Draconis, not Original Sin), I'm completely stuck. I'll have to start that one over from the beginning.

Some games are just easier than others for this.

Rayderism

This problem happens to me too many times to count. I buy way too many games and finish far too few before moving on to the next one. Then, when I try to go back to a game somewhere in the middle of it, I forget how to play it....necessary controls, tactics, WTF I was doing.....stuff like that, and then the game seems 10x more difficult than when you originally stopped playing it. The game then ends up never being finished because starting over feels like too much of a hassle.

DeepSpace5D

I’ve had this happen to me many times before. At first the game feels overwhelming when you jump back in after a long break not playing it.

But usually I found it’s like riding a bike, spend a few hours with the game and it all comes back to memory.

Derktron

Banned
After I beat the main game in Witcher 3, I stopped playing it for a year. When I finally returned to begin the expansions, it took me 3 or 4 days to fully reclaim all the playing skills required by the game.
I had many hours from my first playthrough and I lost my data and account (Xbox Live) and I couldn't get myself to play it again. Amazing game in my opinion. But for me, it's a one time experience

Last edited:

Cherrypepsi

I just had that with Guitar Hero...

We went to this Arcade hall last weekend and I spotted the guitar hero machine and told my friend, hey lets check this one out.
(I played GH3 in the past and was pretty good at it) - turns out I didnt even hit 60% of the notes on a medium difficulty song

I kept my tokens and went to a pinball machine

FrankieSab

Agree with you, I continued Vampyr after a long period. I was kind in the middle of the story. Was tough to get familiar again with about everything. But it was now improved on the newer consoles (60ftp), so I finally finish it.

AndrewRyan

I wish someone would make a website called GameControls.com that makes it easy to lookup the controller layout for any game. It's the thing I miss most from physical game manuals. I'd usually store them with the controller layout section opened.

anthony2690

Banned
I did this with recore when they gave it an fps boost on series X.

Ended up really loving the game, beating it and the expansion thing.

Other games I want back to after many many years are vampyr and lords of the fallen, no idea why I wouldn't say they were particularly good games, but I just wanted to see the end of them.

I very rarely drop games though tbh

Last edited:
Top Bottom