• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returned my Series X today...

Handy Fake

We've never had an issue with our launch consoles. I suspect this time around it might be different for many though. The Rona will have put a dent in QC and supply lines no doubt.

Yep. Got a call on Saturday from our local EB games in Melbourne saying my pre order arrived! My wife was at the shops so she picked it up. Was so stocked to get it so early after just missing the initial launch units.

Anyway, issues started straight away. Hooked everything up- external drive, my 1tb expansion drive I purchased for the series x. Turned on the console and just had a black screen. Thought it might’ve been my external drive with all my old games on there so I unplugged it and turned the unit back on. All good. Everything seemed fine.

Turn it back on next morning. Black screen. Funny thing was, I turned on the console through my controller and it turned on, Xbox symbol flashed on my screen then disappeared. Then my controller flashed on and off about 5 times and my console Xbox on/off button did the exact same thing, then it went solid white, flashed the Xbox logo up again and started up.

This continued all day yesterday and so I looked up trouble shooting issues. Turns out my LG CX might have been the issue so it was recommended to turn off AMD freesync and disable 120hz mode and vrr through the console. I did that. Turned it on this morning. All great. Working fine.

Turned it off. Ate lunch. Turned it back on. The fucking black screen straight after the logo. I changed hdmi ports. Nothing. Turned off the console. Unplugged everything from the wall and from behind the console. Turned it back on. Again, Xbox logo then black screen. Tried it again after that. Black screen. Finally on the 5th attempt it started up. I got it, deleted all my stuff off the console, called the store and refunded it.

So very disappointed. Really loved it whilst it was working. Ultra quiet. Games looked great in 4K. Loading was vastly improved. Just can’t believe I got a console that was stuffed.

Just here to vent. I’ll wait until they either get stock in that I can buy from the shelf so if there’s another fault I can swap straight over OR, I’ll wait for a revision of the series x. Or until the get some exclusives.

Theres a problem with the expansion card when plugged in on bootup of the console, it crashes the console if its plugged in on start up. They know this, a fix is coming with the next FW updates. What I do is unplug the card when i turn on the console (or leave it on standby) and it works perfectly.

I posted this issue on reddit and MS got in contact with me. They are working on a fix.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

Got most of consoles at launch since 25 years and never had an issue except for the Wii that died 2 months after release (and got exchanged in a couple of weeks).
Luck is the magical word
Mine works perfectly so far (tv is LG B8). So did my ps4 at launch and ps4pro. None of my launch consoles was faulty.
Luck is the magical word
Switch was fine 🤷🏻‍♂️
I watched videos telling otherwise
Well, someone needs to buy them at launch...
Good if they get an unfaulty device
I always buy at launch. Never had a single hardware issue. Not even my launch 360 which were plagued with rrod issues. While you wait for a magical time where zero units slate ever effected, I’m enjoying the hell out of my series x and PS5.
REDRZA MWS REDRZA MWS You're assumption is completely wrong if there was a console I would definitely buy one I got my og PS4 in March 2014 and I really wanted to snag a ps5 on launch day but the morons didn't gave me the opportunity and fucking covid destroyed my plans so I will wait till march 2021 to get one
3rbqEdt.jpg

Thanks to this guy I didn't got a ps5

Last edited:
Color me shocked.

The responses and overall tone between this thread, and the one a couple of days ago, with the guy that had coil whine on his PS5 is stark.

Just be thankful you didn't buy the PS5 OP. Nobody would've believed you.

DrAspirino

Banned
There aren't anymore issues for the PS5/XSX than there usually are for a console launch(Excluding 360). The fact that stuff gets tweeted constantly and picked up on blogs and tech sites doesn't equate to mass problems. Even if you saw a 100 or 300 videos of PS5s/XSX's having issues it still wouldn't mean anything. It's a drop in the bucket.
Even then, buying any electronic device on the 1st batch is risky, as the manufacturing process isn't "fully installed" (you know...technicians knowing every quirk, every point of failure, etc).

In fact, I've always waited for second or 3rd batches with any electronic device I've bought (cellphones, consoles, pc components, etc) so I know that I'm getting a reliable product and that its manufacturing process has been polished.

This is one of the down sides of having low stock, when something goes wrong it’s hard to exchange for a new console.

it’s best to turn off rest mode and instant on for both consoles right now until updates come out because most problems come from overheating issues.

I have not had any issues with both my series x and PS5 because I allow them to rest with a complete shut down.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
If you have a day 1 OG Xbox it's just a matter of time before caps fail unless you just don't use it.

It will fail no matter if you use it or not. It's a design problem with those aerogel caps and the degradation mechanism is not related to time they were under bias. It also wasn't limited to the Xbox - one of my friends was telling me about a rather worrying situation where those same caps were being used in AEDs and they started to leak and destroyed the boards. So they installed spare boards - and they were destroyed too, despite the fact that they had just been sitting in storage ever since they were made.

Luckily the failures were detected during regular testing and not when someone just had a heart attack.

saintjules

I always buy at launch. Never had a single hardware issue. Not even my launch 360 which were plagued with rrod issues. While you wait for a magical time where zero units slate ever effected, I’m enjoying the hell out of my series x and PS5.

Same - for both Consoles.

I only had the RROD on the 360 about 7 months in. Other than that, I got the PS1 a year after release, no issues. All other launch units worked fine for me.

FrankWza

Fair enough. Social media is weird in how it alters our perceptions based on the squeaky wheel principle.

it does, but there would be professional media coverage for both consoles regardless. It would still be looked at as a bigger deal than it is or at least more of a widespread issue than it is. There’s also the common saying that you only hear the negative aspect too since generally people that are happy don’t post about great experiences. If you took a 3 month period at any point during a consoles run the number of issues would be similar hardware wise. Software at launch is now more of a thing than ever and a lot of issues that we’re seeing can at least be patched.

it does, but there would be professional media coverage for both consoles regardless. It would still be looked at as a bigger deal than it is or at least more of a widespread issue than it is. There’s also the common saying that you only hear the negative aspect too since generally people that are happy don’t post about great experiences. If you took a 3 month period at any point during a consoles run the number of issues would be similar hardware wise. Software at launch is now more of a thing than ever and a lot of issues that we’re seeing can at least be patched.

Yeah, people generally dont rush to social media for good news. If its good, you generally dont hear about it. Im loving my XSX.

As for the OP, i had his issue as well and its gonna be fixed via FW soon. As long as its FW fixable, im ok with that. As long as its not HW problems.

Allandor

That can happen. Happens to me every few years with PC hardware. That's where warranties come into play (e.g. 2 years here in germany ... more or less).

But why the own thread for something like this, which can just happen.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
We thank you, beta tester. You are doing great work.

Like many have said, I also never purchase products at launch for the same reason. It's not worth the risk with any electronic that is in high demand. Manufacturers aren't familiar with the devices yet and design flaws haven't been figured out.

With pressure from the companies to churn over devices, further mistakes are made.

I feel bad for OP, I have been there.

Op I think its a hdmi handshake issue ,or hdmi cec
My launch day ps4 to this day is 7 years old beaten and battered by my toddler and its still going strong, it does sound like a jet engine though but I've learned to live with it works as a heater too

sn0man

The question in this case is if it's a real issue with the console or the TV. The LG CX is known for having a broken HDMI 2.1 support. It is only possible to transmit 40 GBit/s, instead of the specified 48 GBit/s. Only the ZX, Nano 99, Nano 97 and Nano 95 models support the full HDMI 2.1 specification with 48 GBit/s.

And even LG has created a Troubleshooting Guide: https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/15285/lg-troubleshooting-guide-xbox-4k-120hz
Not only that but your article (good find by the way) says LG are going to try and fix it.

“2020 OLED CX, GX, WX Series Only

There will be just black screen when you switch color depth to 12 bits on 4K 120 output on current production TV SW V03.11.25 (As of today, Nov 12th 2020). Please stay tune for next SW update. You will be able to enjoy in 4K120 VRR in 12 bit within a few weeks.”

CthulhuPL

Luck is the magical word

Luck is the magical word

I watched videos telling otherwise

Good if they get an unfaulty device

REDRZA MWS REDRZA MWS You're assumption is completely wrong if there was a console I would definitely buy one I got my og PS4 in March 2014 and I really wanted to snag a ps5 on launch day but the morons didn't gave me the opportunity and fucking covid destroyed my plans so I will wait till march 2021 to get one
3rbqEdt.jpg

Thanks to this guy I didn't got a ps5
I see what you did there :) I didn't got it either also thanks to this guy :)

Arkam

Sorry to hear OP. Hope you get a replacement soon. New product failure rates can be a real pain in the ass, especially when said HW is hard to acquire in the first place. Stay strong and know you are likely not alone.

MacReady13

Theres a problem with the expansion card when plugged in on bootup of the console, it crashes the console if its plugged in on start up. They know this, a fix is coming with the next FW updates. What I do is unplug the card when i turn on the console (or leave it on standby) and it works perfectly.

I posted this issue on reddit and MS got in contact with me. They are working on a fix.

Too late now. But it wasn't crashing my console at all. It would actually boot up. Just after the initial Xbox logo comes up it went black. Now I know it was outputting something as when I changed HDMI ports, the screen would tell me the Xbox was plugged in elsewhere yet when I changed channels, black screen. Infuriating issue. I am happy to wait it out till stock is more readily available. We are flat out at work right up to xmas, and I have 5 weeks off during Jan/Feb, so hopefully can grab another unit by then. All (most) issues should be solved by that stage...

Too late now. But it wasn't crashing my console at all. It would actually boot up. Just after the initial Xbox logo comes up it went black. Now I know it was outputting something as when I changed HDMI ports, the screen would tell me the Xbox was plugged in elsewhere yet when I changed channels, black screen. Infuriating issue. I am happy to wait it out till stock is more readily available. We are flat out at work right up to xmas, and I have 5 weeks off during Jan/Feb, so hopefully can grab another unit by then. All (most) issues should be solved by that stage...

Yes, thats the crash.

I have the same thing. It doesnt happen if you just not plug the 1TB expansion while its booting up.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Sucks when something fun turns into a hassle. I would have just sent it in for warranty replacement, but I understand if you'd rather just redirect those funds into something else with Black Friday and Cyber Monday just around the corner.

MacReady13

Sucks when something fun turns into a hassle. I would have just sent it in for warranty replacement, but I understand if you'd rather just redirect those funds into something else with Black Friday and Cyber Monday just around the corner.

I was offered to get my unit taken in for repair, but that just pissed me off even more! Considering it happened on the day I picked it up, a $750 piece of equipment shouldn't fuck up like that. So it was a no brainer to get my money back and wait for more stock on hand. I hear everyone say these things happen, but it doesn't make it any easier when it happens to your console...

MarkMe2525

I didn't know what to put in for the tag! I thought most people wouldn't notice!!!
"Just breaking news coming in, we will now direct you to our on the scene correspondent."

"Mass hysteria and confusion are the general feelings in the community Jim. What started out as a day of celebration quickly turned into a day in hell as a unlucky owner of a new xbox found out first hand, you don't always get what you pay for."

Cheers, it's just for laughs 😁 I would be disappointed as well. Hope you have a better day.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I hear everyone say these things happen, but it doesn't make it any easier when it happens to your console...
Yeah, it's not really any consolation when you draw the shortest straw like that. Sad but true, it really does happen. I posted a link from a warranty company in the 360/PS3 era with consoles from 2007-2009(not launch units), and 23% of 360s and 10% of PS3s they warrantied needed repair or replacement.
Electronics-warranty company SquareTrade has issued a survey of 16,000 game consoles it serviced from the second quarter of 2007 to the first quarter of 2009. The report analyzed approximately 2,500 PlayStation 3s, 2,500 Xbox 360s and 11,000 Wiis selected at random. (The company found Wii owners much more likely to buy warranties.) All consoles had been purchased new and had not been damaged by their owners.
SquareTrade found that the Xbox 360's failure rate was far higher than its rivals. Some 23.7 percent of those surveyed failed within two years of purchase: 12 percent from the infamous "Red Ring of Death" and 11.7 percent from other problems, including the "E74" error.
By contrast, the study found 10 percent of PlayStation 3s surveyed failed within two years of purchase, as did 2.7 percent of Wiis. However, SquareTrade pointed out an April survey by media-research firm Nielsen that concluded the Wii is the least played of the three major consoles, being used for only 516 minutes per month. By contrast, the Xbox 360 is played over twice as much (1,191 minutes per month), with the PS3 lagging slightly behind it (1,053 minutes per month).
I bought my XSX from MS Store in the US and immediately slapped a 3yr extended warranty on it. Still, it sucks that happened. I remember when Wii came out the Wii Sports discs were having widespread issues being read, and we had to wait for a replacement from Nintendo. It absolutely killed our vibe for days. Good luck, man!

Last edited:
Mine completely died on day 2. Luckily Best Buy has a quick replacement program for those who pre-ordered with them and I got a new retail unit in 5 days.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to hear this OP. Its very disappointing to look forward to getting something and then end up getting a bum model.

GriffinCorp

Glad you returned it. Reminds me of buying the Xbox One at launch. I was so disappointed in that experience. I'll never forget it. The One X was fine at launch, I still have it. Maybe in another couple of month they will have everything working for the Series X.

Top Bottom