• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returned my Series X today...

HotPocket69

Banned
Glad you returned it. Reminds me of buying the Xbox One at launch. I was so disappointed in that experience. I'll never forget it. The One X was fine at launch, I still have it. Maybe in another couple of month they will have everything working for the Series X.

Why disappointed?

soulbait

Yep. Got a call on Saturday from our local EB games in Melbourne saying my pre order arrived! My wife was at the shops so she picked it up. Was so stocked to get it so early after just missing the initial launch units.

Anyway, issues started straight away. Hooked everything up- external drive, my 1tb expansion drive I purchased for the series x. Turned on the console and just had a black screen. Thought it might’ve been my external drive with all my old games on there so I unplugged it and turned the unit back on. All good. Everything seemed fine.

Turn it back on next morning. Black screen. Funny thing was, I turned on the console through my controller and it turned on, Xbox symbol flashed on my screen then disappeared. Then my controller flashed on and off about 5 times and my console Xbox on/off button did the exact same thing, then it went solid white, flashed the Xbox logo up again and started up.

This continued all day yesterday and so I looked up trouble shooting issues. Turns out my LG CX might have been the issue so it was recommended to turn off AMD freesync and disable 120hz mode and vrr through the console. I did that. Turned it on this morning. All great. Working fine.

Turned it off. Ate lunch. Turned it back on. The fucking black screen straight after the logo. I changed hdmi ports. Nothing. Turned off the console. Unplugged everything from the wall and from behind the console. Turned it back on. Again, Xbox logo then black screen. Tried it again after that. Black screen. Finally on the 5th attempt it started up. I got it, deleted all my stuff off the console, called the store and refunded it.

So very disappointed. Really loved it whilst it was working. Ultra quiet. Games looked great in 4K. Loading was vastly improved. Just can’t believe I got a console that was stuffed.

Just here to vent. I’ll wait until they either get stock in that I can buy from the shelf so if there’s another fault I can swap straight over OR, I’ll wait for a revision of the series x. Or until the get some exclusives.

I didn't read anywhere in here where you contacted MS support to see if they have a solution for you.

I didn't read anywhere where you tried a complete factory reset and go from there.

Not saying you didn't have a lemon unit. Not saying any of those things would have fixed the issues (but at least MS support could have sent you a new one). Just saying, when debugging issues like this, I always try all avenues before returning.

soulbait

This is one of the down sides of having low stock, when something goes wrong it’s hard to exchange for a new console.

it’s best to turn off rest mode and instant on for both consoles right now until updates come out because most problems come from overheating issues.

I have not had any issues with both my series x and PS5 because I allow them to rest with a complete shut down.

MS will usually have some you can exchange with versus attempting to get an exchange from the store. Never be afraid to call customer service first.

gamer82

oof imagine paying scalpers prices and then getting a faulty machine. my heart goes out to you poor unfortunate souls

GriffinCorp

Why disappointed?
I waited outside of BestBuy for the launch, I did it for the 360 and loved it, great memories. So that was fine, but my console had a ton of OS issues and file corruption with game installs - I would have to reinstall the games a couple of times. I think I purchased 4 games too. I think wireless issues as well. It was a bit of a hot mess at the start and It tarnished my thoughts on the Xbox One for years. I was glad to see that console go, replace by the S and then the One X. I gave the S to my sister for Christmas with all my disc games, because I went digital with the One. I've enjoyed the Xbox One X a lot, plays great and I think I've only had 2 or 3 console crashes and I think it was from playing COD WWII. A solid console now.

Overall, I'm planning on holding off on getting the Xbox until Halo is ready to launch. I will get the PS5 first. If I have to wait until February or March to get one then that will work out just fine. Both of these consoles still have issues to work out.

MacReady13

I didn't read anywhere in here where you contacted MS support to see if they have a solution for you.

I didn't read anywhere where you tried a complete factory reset and go from there.

Not saying you didn't have a lemon unit. Not saying any of those things would have fixed the issues (but at least MS support could have sent you a new one). Just saying, when debugging issues like this, I always try all avenues before returning.

I did try all avenues, including speaking to MS. We tried everything with them to no avail.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yep. Got a call on Saturday from our local EB games in Melbourne saying my pre order arrived! My wife was at the shops so she picked it up. Was so stocked to get it so early after just missing the initial launch units.

Anyway, issues started straight away. Hooked everything up- external drive, my 1tb expansion drive I purchased for the series x. Turned on the console and just had a black screen. Thought it might’ve been my external drive with all my old games on there so I unplugged it and turned the unit back on. All good. Everything seemed fine.

Turn it back on next morning. Black screen. Funny thing was, I turned on the console through my controller and it turned on, Xbox symbol flashed on my screen then disappeared. Then my controller flashed on and off about 5 times and my console Xbox on/off button did the exact same thing, then it went solid white, flashed the Xbox logo up again and started up.

This continued all day yesterday and so I looked up trouble shooting issues. Turns out my LG CX might have been the issue so it was recommended to turn off AMD freesync and disable 120hz mode and vrr through the console. I did that. Turned it on this morning. All great. Working fine.

Turned it off. Ate lunch. Turned it back on. The fucking black screen straight after the logo. I changed hdmi ports. Nothing. Turned off the console. Unplugged everything from the wall and from behind the console. Turned it back on. Again, Xbox logo then black screen. Tried it again after that. Black screen. Finally on the 5th attempt it started up. I got it, deleted all my stuff off the console, called the store and refunded it.

So very disappointed. Really loved it whilst it was working. Ultra quiet. Games looked great in 4K. Loading was vastly improved. Just can’t believe I got a console that was stuffed.

Just here to vent. I’ll wait until they either get stock in that I can buy from the shelf so if there’s another fault I can swap straight over OR, I’ll wait for a revision of the series x. Or until the get some exclusives.
Damn that sucks dude. First adopter problems. What sucks worse is that you can't get a replacement for some time it seems. I remember when this happened to me on the 360. I was luckily able to get it replaced same day

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
4nljog.jpg

It really sucks, but faulty units is sadly very common when a new gen launches.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
What have we learned again never buy a console at launch
I learned this problem way back on the original Xbox with the infamous "Thompson Drive!" Then the xbox 360 RROD, The PS3 yellow light, etc etc. Knock on wood my 2014 ps4 is still going strong!

Hawk269

Hope you are able to get another one soon OP. With new tech things like this can and will happen as we see people posting about issues for both new consoles. But know that the majority of people are having zero issues and that there is just that chance of getting a bad unit....even when they do a revision, there will always be a percentage of units that die or are DOA or DOA soon after you unpack it...it is the nature for all electronics and the amount of issues is usually minimum compared to those that hare having no issues.

However at the end of the day..when it happens to you, it always sucks especially when you were waiting and anticipating it. I had a similar issue with my Day 1 PS4 Pro. Worked fine on day one, but on day 2 it was pretty much DOA. Had to take it back and wait a week for another one.

DinoD

Not trying to be a smart ass, but have you tried changing the HDMI cable?

Perhaps HDMI cable was broken. Happens all the time.

Good luck

Regards

Top Bottom