• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Review Thread (PS5)

Unknown?

She is right that most game protagonists are white. But that is because most people are white. 72 percent of Americans are white. Finland is like 90%. This is reality. Sorry to burst anyone’s SJW bubble.

What is unreasonable is demanding that games not reflect reality. She wants not a majority of white people but lives in that world. Sorry lady at some point you have to accept your place. Finland is mostly white that means the majority. Minority means that yes you are not in the majority. Duh.

If u gonna get triggered that a Finish game company made a game with a white protagonist then you are the unreasonable one.
What are you talking about? In the world's 7 billion people most are not white.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Then I have a problem with her with this point too. It's complete BS to say, "I want a black woman to be a main character but she can't have 'white features' because that doesn't count". No you don't get to play the colorism game here amongst us black people. If you black, you black. End of story.

So in my mind, she isn't helping the cause at all. And to some degree, she's making things worse.
I know it's a controversial subject among black folks as well and there are issues there.

But it's really about asking for representation when there is none, not demanding no other representation.

It's not a mystery why Hollywood/other media have favored black people with certain features..or black women who straighten their hair.. not that they aren't black, but it's still a sub-group that goes ignored (blacks with non-european features.)

Last edited:

vpance

Just caught the ending (an ending?) on Fextralife stream

200.gif

Gaming Media and Gaming discussion has become so annoying to consume.

Who the fuck cares if a character is white, Black, Gay Trans etc etc etc.

Let the dev make whatever they want to make.

If the games is good it has no bearing on anything. A game can't be bad Simply because a character is White Black or whatever.

Its absolute nonsense. Imagine reading a book and deciding you didn't like it one page in cause the main character was a certain colour. You'd be classed as an absolute nut job.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I know it's a controversial subject among black folks as well and there are issues there.

But it's really about asking for representation when there is none, not demanding no other representation.

It's not a mystery why Hollywood/other media have favored black people with certain features..or black women who straighten their hair.. not that they aren't black, but it's still a sub-group that goes ignored (blacks with non-european features.)

You are 100% correct. It's just comes off bad when a person like her writes like that. She will easily offend people that more than likely are also in her family. It's such an odd thing to bicker over in 2021. Like yeah, in the 70s and 80s she could make that claim. But things really started to change, in that respect in the 90s. Almost every famous black person in America had (so called) black physical features in the 90s in media.

IntentionalPun

You are 100% correct. It's just comes off bad when a person like her writes like that. She will easily offend people that more than likely are also in her family. It's such an odd thing to bicker over in 2021. Like yeah, in the 70s and 80s she could make that claim. But things really started to change, in that respect in the 90s. Almost every famous black person in America had (so called) black physical features in the 90s in media.
Not quite the same for black women though.

Calverz

I cant in good conscience reccommend this game especially at the new price. Iv played just under 6 hours today and its quite repetitive tbh.
It can also be really really punishing. The RNG can completely screw you over and finding health can be a constant struggle.
Wait until its cheaper.
I know some will say well dark souls etc is punishing but not like this. Trust me lol

what the hell happened to the days when we would simply talk about if a game was good or not? now its about the colour and etnicity of the characters in the game. am i missing something here? like, i actually dont get it? why cant people just chil and enjoy themselves instead of always looking for something to whine and complain about?

IntentionalPun

I cant in good conscience reccommend this game especially at the new price. Iv played just under 6 hours today and its quite repetitive tbh.
It can also be really really punishing. The RNG can completely screw you over and finding health can be a constant struggle.
Wait until its cheaper.
I know some will say well dark souls etc is punishing but not like this. Trust me lol
Yeah I'm turned off by the RNG aspect; I don't mind randomized things as a game mod, but I feel like a more properly designed world would be more fun... randomized room placement / items sounds like the kind of thing I'd enjoy as an extra mod for a game not the main thing. (I know, I know, it's the genre)

Ogbert

Wait until its cheaper.
I’d still recommend it, but people need to be very clear what it is.

This is a genuinely difficult AAA rogue like. Massively more difficult than Hades. And it’s often genuinely unfair (as per the genre). You’ll just get killed. You won’t learn anything or git gud. It will just kill you.

To be honest, the only think I genuinely dislike at the moment is the malignancy mechanic. It’s an unnecessarily punishing mechanic on top of an already difficult game.

HAL-01

She is right that most game protagonists are white. But that is because most people are white. 72 percent of Americans are white. Finland is like 90%. This is reality. Sorry to burst anyone’s SJW bubble.

What is unreasonable is demanding that games not reflect reality. She wants not a majority of white people but lives in that world. Sorry lady at some point you have to accept your place. Finland is mostly white that means the majority. Minority means that yes you are not in the majority. Duh.

If u gonna get triggered that a Finish game company made a game with a white protagonist then you are the unreasonable one.
The kotaku article is silly but this is equally as cringey to read

fallingdove

Wait until its cheaper.

And I would easily recommend it, even at $70.

GymWolf

He did quote the full sentence. It looks bad thanks to Jeff alone.
No he did not, the phrase clearly continue to explain the first part, even an infested sony site like reeee called out one guy for quoting the incomplete phrase to make it look worse.

I'm not defending this grubb woke cunt, but you know that quote is in bad faith if you have a bit of moral honesty.

That first part maybe has a shitty choice of words i get it, but he clearly explain what he is trying to say later in the same paragraph.

Last edited:

Calverz

I’d still recommend it, but people need to be very clear what it is.

This is a genuinely difficult AAA rogue like. Massively more difficult than Hades. And it’s often genuinely unfair (as per the genre). You’ll just get killed. You won’t learn anything or git gud. It will just kill you.

To be honest, the only think I genuinely dislike at the moment is the malignancy mechanic. It’s an unnecessarily punishing mechanic on top of an already difficult game.
100% agree with this. You have been warned people!

Bergoglio

Not progressive enough!
They shall see him, and shall despise him: but the Lord shall laugh them to scorn. And they shall fall after this without hon- our, and be a reproach among the dead for ever: for he shall burst them puffed up and speechless, and shall shake them from the foundations, and they shall be utterly laid waste: they shall be in sorrow, and their memory shall perish. They shall come with fear at the thought of their sins, and their iniquities shall stand against them to convict them.

Book of Wisdom,
Chapter 4, 18-20.

kyoji

Wait until its cheaper.
repetitive? lol.... cant really take you serious after that one but ill continue anyway. I do agree its a very challenging game but thats all we agree on.

Why wait till the game is cheaper if one is interested? is that going to make the game less challenging? lmao..

These type games not meant for everyone, its definitively a 9/10 game from what ive personally experienced so far but thats my opinion just like you have yours but your logic is fuked. Souls games are great quality games too and there are people whom cant vibe with those either.

I feel like games shouldnt be punished for being to difficult, theres enough easy mode games out there

Last edited:

Calverz

repetitive? lol.... cant really take you serious after that one but ill continue anyway. I do agree its a very challenging game but thats all we agree on.

Why wait till the game is cheaper if one is interested? is that going to make the game less challenging? lmao..

These type games not meant for everyone, its definitively a 9/10 game from what ive personally experienced so far but thats my opinion just like you have yours but your logic is fuked. Souls games are great quality games too and there are people whom cant vibe with those either.

I feel like games shouldnt be punished for being to difficult, theres enough easy mode games out there
How much of the game have you played?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Here are my "Pro" tips::messenger_sunglasses: (click on the links for the photos)

- Use Dash to get through laser barriers and most of the enemy attacks. Some bullets and lasers you can't do that and would end up getting hurt later on.
- Don't fucking gamble with your Ether: You can turn Ether to Obolites to buy a large medkit from that fabricator, knowing exactly what you want.
- Don't pick up Malignant stuff: It's not worth the negatives, some are doable some are pretty tough, unless you have malfunction fixer (if you have 2 malfunctions the next malignant you pick is broken/lost, so don't over do it).
- Spend 6 Ether on each level on the Reconstructors: This gives you a second chance on each level as you respawn again without losing anything. You can't spam it, only once on each biome.
- Collect Resin for maximum Integrity "Health".
- Don't be a fucking hero: If you think you're being overwhelmed with the goons, just run for your fucking life. Don't be shy to exploit some weakness sometimes as I use the doors to block the enemy and as a shield for the counter.
- Use the good Parasites: I've used one for autorepair at low health, and max integrity, and damage. Some raise malfunction probability buy you should not pick malignants to begin with. Some enemy attacks cause malfunctions though.
- Buy Augments: Those stack up and end up making you OP, like 10% protection, 25% max integrity, more damage caused, autorepair at low health "same as the parasite with no negatives", etc.
- You can stack as consumable as you like from the same kind: If you have one large health medkit, you can stack another one over it. Same with other consumables as I've stacked once around 3 consumables in one slot.
- DON'T FUCKING GO TO THE GOLDEN GATE IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO: Those are wave-based and could end up fighting 3 bosses simultaneously. Rewards can be good, but tried one and wasn't that good as I was forced to do so in one mission. It looks like the same main mission door but yellow with a star above. Had my early second death there.
- Don't pick up a higher level weapon "just because": Check the stats, and understand what you need. To me, there is that machine gun I prefer "Hollowseeker", carbine "Tachyomatic Carbine" comes second, and the pistol "Modified Sidearm SD-M8" third. The rest are pure garbage to me in the long run.
- Permanent suit upgrades are crucial: Because you can reach areas you usually can't without them and could mean getting some health regain or better loot.
- In worst scenario, go back to the SHIP to sleep and regain health: Don't be afraid to go all the way back to the ship before proceeding to fight a boss with low health. It might be within your radius or you might have to go through biomes to reach it, but it's better than being forced to with zero stats. There are different beds that you can sleep "green bed" and regain health and even upgrade max integrity, also don't be afraid to sleep on the "red bed" ones that take some health but gives a very rewarding loot.
- Explore all the blue gates as much as possible: You usually get the green/red beds there, the reconstructor "second chance" machine, and other rewarding/permanent upgrades.
- Lastly, don't be afraid to die: The game makes it so easy get back to the level, and ones you enter you get a weapon level pass "Proficiency" that matches the biome right away. You can manage even with 0 level guns because the leveling isn't steep in the game.

I think that's about most of it. Hope this helps. The game isn't hard if you're good in gaming in general. I can say it's about medium. Goons can be harder than main bosses as well when you're overwhelmed or cornered. After beating the game you should still go after some story elements.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
i got close to the 3rd biome boss before getting my shit pushed in, not yet once have i felt the game has been 'repetitive'

I honestly respawning more from the ship adds more exploration possibilities and opens more story elements. I think I missed things due to being OP. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: After beating the game you get notification that you should explore more for the story/secrets. I'll check it out.

Last edited:

FranXico

No he did not, the phrase clearly continue to explain the first part, even an infested sony site like reeee called out one guy for quoting the incomplete phrase to make it look worse.

I'm not defending this grubb woke cunt, but you know that quote is in bad faith if you have a bit of moral honesty.

That first part maybe has a shitty choice of words i get it, but he clearly explain what he is trying to say later in the same paragraph.
No, Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 quoted complete sentences, or phrases, if you will. If there's more sentences that manage to change the context or meaning of those sentences (which read very clear to me), please quote them as well.

Last edited:

GymWolf

No, Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 quoted complete sentences, or phrases, if you will. If there's more sentences that manage to change the context or meaning of those sentences (which read very clear to me), please quote them as well.
This would not be necessary if people would read reviews instead of a single line but there you go:

The art of building a quality roguelite is in the sleight of hand. In order to finish the game, the player needs to improve their skill. But that is a tedious and laborious process. A good roguelite, however, distracts the player from this process. Instead, it puts the focus on smaller tasks to unlock new weapons or tools. The idea is that if only you can unlock that next weapon, maybe you’ll have what you need to progress — but in reality, you are actually learning the way the game works and getting better at playing it. Returnal’s biggest weakness is a dearth of compelling progressions to distract you from its learning curve, and that is detrimental to its pacing and sense of momentum.

if you don't think that the first line is connected to the rest of the phrase, then i have nothing more to say.

Now, i don't know if this is completely true or even true at all, i played very little of the game (like 2-3 hours) but other reviews that LOVED the game had the same problem with the game, skill up for example, and he is enthusiastic about the game, he just doens't put to much weight on that type of flaw but he clearly says that the game is great but for modern standard it is not a really good roguelite, and for people like me who love a robust progression between runs and having always some objectives to unlock something, that could be a big\huge flaw for replaybility, he talk about that later in the review (grubb i mean)

His review really reads like a 7,5, the 6 is probably him being a M shill, but when you read kinda the same flaws in other reviews you start to have some doubts...

I don't trust reviewer so i'm gonna judge by myself, but his point is absolutely valid because that is how i played hades and why i started to love the roguelite genre, i never played to improve my skill directly, i was always aiming to something, the skill improved naturally in that way.

Btw the game is very good for the little i played, except some rare times when the camera goes dark souls tier against some wall, i can't wait to unlock the second more open area :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Pro tip: the green thing that heal you up become one of those things that level up your max health if are at full health, so when you see one of these don't pick up immediately if you can cure in another way, it is more usefull to upgrade your life bar than for an immediate small cure.

Same with weapon chests, the more proficiency you have the better weapon you find in those chest when you open them, if you find a good weapon in your first chest, keep that until the end of the biome before the boss when you have max proficiency, then turn back and open all the weapons chest, you are gonna end having better guns this way.-

Last edited:

John Wick

I don’t know - take it up with Jaffe how he knows that. I don’t see what incentive he would have to fabricate the information.

If you don’t want any to take expert testimony from a source like Jaffe - who not only has worked “on the inside” on major game franchises but these days is also still clearly in close contact with recently active and active game studios and personnel - then I guess you do you. 🤷‍♂️

Personally I’ll take him as a source before a random internet guesstimate. And his quote was “Returnal cost a lot”.

Oh and the final point - game studios have been and are disappearing...
That's the point isn't it? "Returnal cost a lot". What does that mean? Compared to what? There is no context or comparison to what? It might have cost a lot compared to Resogun or very little compared to The Last of Us 2.
The production values are nowhere near the cost of TLOU2 or something like Spiderman.
For a small independent studio it may cost a lot but for a Sony published title it's chump change.

Last edited:

Duchess

Seems that Housemarque are considering a Save and Quit option:

I've not played the game yet, but I think I'd welcome this. People will use it to save scum, though. Maybe they'll say if you use it it will disable trophies or something?

Edit: Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem - as you've finished the game, maybe you're a good person to lend your thoughts to this?

Last edited:

Caio

""
Conclusion
Housemarque’s Returnal is a brutal rogue-lite that constantly keeps the fun coming through its well-thought-through item system that is exquisitely balanced and its randomized gameplay design that feels fresh after every death. Definitely a must-have game for the PlayStation 5.""

Perfect score from DigitalChumps

you're tracking some random guy on the internet over multiple games where you perceive a slight against lord sony ... and you're asking me if you can help me ? Sony really did a number on some of its fanbase, didnt it ?

Nobody has to track you. Your obnoxiousness stands out. Congrats on being recognized for something.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Seems that Housemarque are considering a Save and Quit option:

I've not played the game yet, but I think I'd welcome this. People will use it to save scum, though. Maybe they'll say if you use it it will disable trophies or something?

Edit: Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem - as you've finished the game, maybe you're a good person to lend your thoughts to this?

Yes, imagine having 9+ hours from 11am till 7:45pm (beaten the game) because I didn't respawn back at the ship! I was so exhausted by 11am and wanted to just push a little and sleep. Nope, not happening. It's a big issue for advanced players with tight schedules.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

This is true but is basically entering "Western standard of beauty" territory, and if we go there then everyone living in western countries suffers from this. Everyone.

KingT731

Yes, Imagine having 9+ hours from 11am till 7:45pm (beaten the game) because I didn't respawn back at the ship! I was so exhausted by 11am and wanted to just push a little and sleep. Nope, not happening. It's big issue for advanced players with tight schedules.
Yeah. That was my issue yesterday. I had to keep leaving home to do shit lol.

Top Bottom