• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Review Thread (PS5)

Topher

Gold Member
They’re not actually. They shut the thread down to ban people who accused people of criticizing the review of being gamergaters.

Thread rebooted. Members are allowed to critique reviews, laugh at them, roll their eyes at them, and disagree with them; this has always been the case and rarely caused serious problems. In the previous version of this thread, one review raised some eyebrows due to a tangent about the prefix "xeno" in a game about extraterrestrials, relating it to United States immigration policy.

This was not an issue until a certain famous alt-right troll decided to highlight that same review and inspire his followers to start a harassment campaign against its author on Twitter. We will not name the troll because him and all his content is already banned here.

In the wake of that awfulness, members who had previously posted anything critical about the review became targets of personal attacks and inflammatory accusations, essentially painting them as alt-right when all they had done was disagree with a video game review. That is not acceptable.

To be very clear, there must be no personal insults or attacks against the reviewer. Given the situation, commentary about that review itself should be worded politely and delicately or not at all. This is a thread for all reviews about Returnal and its metascores. The thread should not be hyperfocused on a single review.
Returnal | Review Thread | ResetEra

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
clown GIF

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
this 3d audio is stressfull as fuck lol
not sure i like the 2 step trigger function..

i keep pressing it all the way when i get attacked my those hentai tentacle squid dicks.\

e&e

Banned
Man, I can't believe half this thread is dedicated to talking about resetera drama.....
This! I came back to thread to see people discussing the review, but reading about resetera. What is the obsession? It all sounds unhealthy especially in a review thread.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So...you are buying Returnal but won't touch Souls games? Is it because of their difficulty level? Because Returnal seems to be just as hard.

Borrow a copy of Dark Souls 1-3 or Bloodborne and play at your own pace...maybe it just clicks and you become a Hidetaka Miyazaki follower too. :)

The only Souls game I considered was Sekiro. I find them shallow and meaningless, something like PS2 era. Very minimalistic in story. Combat and animation looks clumsy to me. Difficulty isn't the issue indeed, I prefer hard games and that's one reason of why RDR2 is mediocre as fuck and one of the easiest games I've ever played. The Witcher 3 on Deathmarch is a joke as well but still one of my best games of all time.

ethomaz

Banned
The only Souls game I considered was Sekiro. I find them shallow and meaningless, something like PS2 era. Very minimalistic in story. Combat and animation looks clumsy to me. Difficulty isn't the issue indeed, I prefer hard games and that's one reason of why RDR2 is mediocre as fuck and one of the easiest games I've ever played. The Witcher 3 on Deathmarch is a joke as well but still one of my best games of all time.
Well I played both Demon’s Souls and Bloodborne and there is nothing minimalist in terms of story... the opposite... the story in both games are very rich and depth.

BTW PS2 era didn’t have any game like them.

Last edited:
They are good. Give them a shot!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well I played both Demon’s Souls and Bloodborne and there is nothing minimalist in terms of story... the opposite... the story in both games are very rich and depth.

That's my personal impression. Also asked about it and one of the extreme fans said I should read, and that what I saw. They just don't click. Sekiro looks nice but I always kinda forget to buy it, but now I won't buy it because I don't like playing old games.

ethomaz

Banned
That's my personal impression. Also asked about it and one of the extreme fans said I should read, and that what I saw. They just don't click. Sekiro looks nice but I always kinda forget to buy it, but now I won't buy it because I don't like playing old games.
Well indeed you need read... a lot of background story is tied to the weapons descriptions.

Except that the NPC dialogues are recorded audio.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
They are good. Give them a shot!

I wish, but even for free on PS+ back on PS4 I didn't even bother to add bloodborne to library, and now offered with PS+ Collection. Persona 5 nearly made me vomit while playing the first level (extremely hate turn-based combat), although I'm more than sure it has insane story according to friends. No need to force myself.

Last edited:
I don't remember the last time I was this conflicted about buying a game. This looks awesome, but there's RE8 next week, and the Mass Effect trilogy the week after. Both of which I'm super excited for.

ToadMan

BS the WONK rest mode was real with launch date consoles.

I never had a problem with it it. It seems to me it was the game rather than the console - specifically it seems like it was COD that had problems.

Either way, that issue is long gone so Returnal can be enjoyed by all gamers 👍

Last edited:

ToadMan

Returnal didn't cost Hundreds of millions to make. It's not GTA5 or RDR 2. It's on one platform with a pretty small efficient team. It should easily cover it's cost and then some.

I don’t have a feel for an actual number - I’m just going from Jaffe’s comment “a lot”. He didn’t say hundreds of millions for returnal and I didn’t interpret it that way either.

But what I can say is that just talking about HM as if they’re the only cost is incorrect.

The costs spiral out through other parts of Sony. HM might be a “small” and focused studio, but the support through the entire organisation can inflate that to hundreds of staff dedicating some or all of their time to it over the development and release periods.

ToadMan

I'm late to this, so this Jeff is getting attacked by Sony hardcore fans because he gave the game 6/10 and he apparently gave The Medium 10/10? Or is there any reason.
I think this Jeff guy is insufferable though, but i think meta scores are getting way way too much priority these days. People in forums always claim that review scores usually dont matter to them, yet everyday i see the complete opposite.

He’s getting grief because he played about a quarter of the game (perhaps less even), found it too hard and slapped a 6/10 on it.

Whether his name is Scrubb, Grubb or Wokebacca that’s not really an acceptable review policy is it?

More less every other review site seems to have played more and at least completed the main path. So what is his problem? If he can only manage walking simulators perhaps he isn’t cut out for reviewing games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom