• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Is A “Mega-Hit” In Sony’s Eyes

Jaysen

Banned
Yes, and the NPD charts of the recent months are a proof of that. I think the game managed to stay in the top 20 for two consecutive months before falling off the radar, which is not an easy feat.
Top 20 two months in a row is impressive? Nintendo has games in the top ten for years. Returnal came out at the very end of April, which is how it charted two months in a row. On actual sales charts like the daily chart at Amazon, Returnal was a huge bomb. It fell out of the top 100 within days of release.

Reactions: MrS

SLB1904

Banned
Top 20 two months in a row is impressive? Nintendo has games in the top ten for years. Returnal came out at the very end of April, which is how it charted two months in a row. On actual sales charts like the daily chart at Amazon, Returnal was a huge bomb. It fell out of the top 100 within days of release.
Astral chain stayed for years?
Arms?
Labo?
Starfox?

Lmfao

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
When you stop coming into these threads being a retard i'll stop calling you a retard

Happy I Love You GIF by Life of a Potato

Jaysen

Banned
Thanks for agreeing if not Mario or zelda everything is crap coming from Nintendo
Or Animal Crossing. Or Pokémon. It’s almost as if Nintendo has a bunch of franchises that do incredibly well. Returnal is a good game, but it sold poorly. Why does that bother you? It had a stupid price and stupid game design decision that turned a lot of potential customers off.

SLB1904

Banned
Or Animal Crossing. Or Pokémon. It’s almost as if Nintendo has a bunch of franchises that do incredibly well. Returnal is a good game, but it sold poorly. Why does that bother you? It had a stupid price and stupid game design decision that turned a lot of potential customers off.
A bunch. That's it.

nbkicker

Hmmm well they not gonna say otherwise after purchasing the developers, anyway this games not for me,dont like the look of the main character, so even if it was given away for free wouldnt be downloading

Goalus

It was sarcasm. I admit it sounds serious now that I am reading it again.

Jaysen

Banned
I mean if that isn't a gotcha I don't know what it is. Maybe you are masochist and for that I'm sorry
It’s as cool a gotcha as someone saying he understands why Demons Souls doesn’t sell millions of copies due to its well known difficulty, and also saying he loved and beat the game. Acknowledging truths about games you really like isn’t a gotcha. It’s called perspective. Get some.

SLB1904

Banned
It’s as cool a gotcha as someone saying he understands why Demons Souls doesn’t sell millions of copies due to its well known difficulty, and also saying he loved and beat the game. Acknowledging truths about games you really like isn’t a gotcha. It’s called perspective. Get some.
That really wasn't what you said. Come on. Anyway let's move on I don't think you are a bad poster or anything.
It boring argue with someone where you have no beef with. Peace and love

GHG

Gold Member
Got to love it when these guys miraculously have PS5's and have played all the games on it despite never actually discussing the games in question in the relevant threads.

No wonder the PS5 is doing so well when even the haters can't resist buying the console along with a bunch of games.

You're comparing Returnal sales to the likes Spider-Man and other triple A titles. That's really the biggest flaw in your argument.

Guilty Gear sold 500k copies in one month and this game is considered a success in the eyes of ASW. The budget between these two titles are probably similar and yet only one can be considered a success? lol

There's a difference between success and mega-hit. I think Returnal might be a success, Sony made their investment back and long-term they're gonna make a decent profit.

Justin9mm

I thought it was really good for what little I played of it. I think I put a few hours or so into the start and didn't get that far. It was very clear to me I am not good enough to play this game and I didn't have time to keep dying over and over as I don't have a lot of gaming time these days.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
There's a difference between success and mega-hit. I think Returnal might be a success, Sony made their investment back and long-term they're gonna make a decent profit.
Everything is relative to the budget. You're taking the word mega hit to mean massive sales.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Gonna piggyback a little to ask: which game would you guys recommend to play first out of current PS5 exclusives? The ones that pique my interest the most are Returnal, Ratchet, and Demon's Souls.

GHG

Gold Member
Gonna piggyback a little to ask: which game would you guys recommend to play first out of current PS5 exclusives? The ones that pique my interest the most are Returnal, Ratchet, and Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls, Ratchet, the pathless, returnal. In that order. Also check out Judgment if you haven't already.

Last edited:

Unknown?

gamestop dropped the used price to $30

Thats $2 more then Spider Man MM a retail $40 game($28 used). If that’s not a sign they are sitting on a load of stock I don’t know what is.

Miles Morales is a $50 game, not $40. Returnal is on sale right now for $60 making it half price used($30). So your proof that there's a ton of stock is that both are half price used?

Last edited:

Warnen

Miles Morales is a $50 game, not $40. Returnal is on sale right now for $60 making it half price used($30). So your proof that there's a ton of stock is that both are half price used?
Most of GS used games are $5 lower then new counter part, but you know that. Spider man is $30 now and used is $27…. Returnal is $60(on sale)and $30 used. Speaks volumes really.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Demon's Souls, Ratchet, the pathless, returnal. In that order. Also check out Judgment if you haven't already.
I played a long-ass demo of that on PS4 a couple of years ago. Was good, will probably check it out considering that a sequel is coming out. Never heard of The Pathless but it looks interesting.

Anyway, thanks for the reccomendaesh.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Jaysen

Banned
Returnal is my favorite of those three. Then Demons Souls. Ratchet is really good, but compared to the other two, it just didn’t give me the value for the money. I have over 100 hours into Returnal, 80 in DS, and 11 in Ratchet.

GHG

Gold Member
I played a long-ass demo of that on PS4 a couple of years ago. Was good, will probably check it out considering that a sequel is coming out. Never heard of The Pathless but it looks interesting.

Anyway, thanks for the reccomendaesh.

Yeh the pathless is criminally overlooked IMO. Skill up did a good short review of the game that sums up my thoughts nicely:

Some of the best use of the DualSense features as well.

Unknown?

Most of GS used games are $5 lower then new counter part, but you know that. Spider man is $30 now and used is $27…. Returnal is $60(on sale)and $30 used. Speaks volumes really.
Was just going to edit that, saw that it was on sale too. When they go on sale they don't always change used prices. Many times you get new games cheaper than they sell used.

Spiderman being on a deeper discount is very telling, guess they can't move stock compared to Returnal that only needs a $10 discount.

Warnen

Was just going to edit that, saw that it was on sale too. When they go on sale they don't always change used prices. Many times you get new games cheaper than they sell used.

Spiderman being on a deeper discount is very telling, guess they can't move stock compared to Returnal that only needs a $10 discount.
Again kinda bad conclusion based on evidence. Spider man was a launch game, all the launch games have a deeper discount now (dark souls is another). Other games released in the same window like RE8 only have the $10 sales discount and used price is still only a few $$ off the sales price, not half it.

All indications is that people bought the game and retuned it for trade in in droves so they were over stocked. Not what you would call a Mega Hit really.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Again kinda bad conclusion based on evidence. Spider man was a launch game, all the launch games have a deeper discount now (dark souls is another). Other games released in the same window like RE8 only have the $10 sales discount and used price is still only a few $$ off the sales price, not half it.

All indications is that people bought the game and retuned it for trade in in droves so they were over stocked. Not what you would call a Mega Hit really.
Spider-Man was cross-gen and it was just a spin-off to the 2018 game. Kinda like Infamous First Light or Uncharted Lost Legacy. The full-on launch titles are exclusive to PS5 and are priced higher.

Unknown?

Right, because they're older and less in demand. Of course I don't really believe this but one bad argument for another.

Warnen

Right, because they're older and less in demand. Of course I don't really believe this but one bad argument for another.

Oh ok, shouldn’t have wasted time then. Guess GS dropped the price of this one game out of the kindness of there hearts. Must been fallout from all the meme stock, spreading the love.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck

Returnal is my favorite of those three. Then Demons Souls. Ratchet is really good, but compared to the other two, it just didn’t give me the value for the money. I have over 100 hours into Returnal, 80 in DS, and 11 in Ratchet.

You can platinum Ratchet in less than a dozen hours and there's no real reason to play after that. Doesn't mean it's a bad game, just be aware. I personally would say it's a toss up between Demons souls and Returnal. Just go with your personal preference and you won't be disappointed. Both are stellar games.

A lot of people in here are discussing the term mega hit and trying to qualify it, but did you all follow the link and read the page? It's pretty clear it's boilerplate generic marketing text. No one at Sony sat around and sweat over it. It doesn't mean anything!

One thing that does point to Returnal being a hit to some degree was that Sony bought the studio 2 months after it released. So they watched how the studio released the product, the initial sales, and the reception before finalizing that decision.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
You are a funny little guy. In the UK charts you talk about physical sales being limited. You at the same time praise Outriders as a "success" yet if you look at the PSN charts it fell off completely. Much faster than Returnal. It doesn't take a genius to understand why you take this "doubting" stance for returnal and somehow praise other MS marketed games.
Yup, I think we all know where he stands when it comes to Sony. This says it all

NW1tVLL.jpg

Top Bottom