• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Is A “Mega-Hit” In Sony’s Eyes

saintjules

I said this on my Twitter - "Every generation there's games that make it as best game of the year, then there's the few that are once in a lifetime experiences."

Last game like that for me was Hellblade. There's something that these games do that make you kind of sit back and think about what you've experienced. But that's just me of course.

Raekwon26

It's amusing watching the usual suspects struggling to cope that Returnal wasn't the bomba they had predicted.

The game led to the studio being purchased and superlatives from Sony about sales.. just what more evidence do the doubters need exactly? It's a little sad.
Usual suspects?

I would be surprised if developers weren't already working hard enough to be close to breaking point.

All 70$ does is make me wait a couple of months more. They get same amount from me.

I honestly don't believe this price increase was due to greed. There's probably extra costs associated with current gen games that they need to account for.

Plus the nice thing about games is that the price drops soon after unless it's a Nintendo game. That's always an option that I use when I think the launch price is too high for it.

Definitely not a bad thing if a 70$ game sells well. It would be much worse if it didn't.

Three

Huh? Some marketing speak on a website is enough to make people believe this?

The game didn’t sell well. It’s been seen in all the usual charts. It dropped off the face of the Earth. It went on sale faster than any other Sony first party PS5 exclusive and it’s still a game many are waiting to purchase due to lack of mid run save that Rogue Likes have had since the 1980s.

It is a great game but it didn’t really light up the sales charts or really make a big impression. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart sold extremely well so I don’t want to hear the usual excuses of “not many PS5s out there”. There are likely more than 10 million PS5 owners out there now.
April:

May

June

Why are people trying to paint this as some kind of flop? It's actually hanging in the top charts better than other big releases.

fermcr

Nobody expects Sony to claim Returnal as a flop.

... same goes for every other developer out there. Developers rarely claim their games as flops.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
April:

May

June

Why are people trying to paint this as some kind of flop? It's actually hanging in the top charts better than other big releases.
That goes against the narrative.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Nah it would just be another AA from an indie studio.
wrestling beat up GIF

Act1 last of us 2.

Joe and his brother gets to the settlement. Joe visits a house. Plays a guitar. Talks to ellie. Leaves ellie. Ellie wakes up. Sees a guy coming to her house. Turned out she kissed the guys ex girlfriend in the party. So both of them get out of the house. They come to a bar. Ellie meets an old guy. He apologizes to her, and gives her a sandwich. She gives the sandwich to the guy. Ellie sees a girl. She talks to her. Turns out this girl was the one ellie kissed. They talk around. Sees a bunch of kids. Play a snowball fight, until they are done having fun. Then they head out to a stable to see a horse. They try to exist the settlement.

P2: Abby.

Abby suddenly awakens from a nightmare. She sees a guy next to a window. Talks to him. He tells her he saw something. And tries to show her. They head out to that area. Sees the settlement. The guy brings some topic about someone that they have been looking for. He says he might be there. They try to come up with a plan to get in to the settlement. The guy brings up a girl name. He tells Abby that the girl is pregnant, and that they can't keep doing what they were doing. The need a place to settle down.

Abby furiously tries to take a detour. That is when your actual game starts.

Now tell me, how long does these scene takes to happen.

My memory is little bit hazy, since I was getting sleepy from the boredom of not touching my controller that much.

This is my complain about cinematic. All it does is nothing but waste time. Either get to the point, or stop using these shit long scenes to show about stuff we don't care.

When Abby was alone, that is when the game started for me. The bullet was scarce. I had to be careful. The house was really creepy. I was afraid of getting scare jump, when I was in the attic. The game was all about thinking.

you watched it on youtube didnt you? dont bother actually replying becuase your the first user to go on my ignore list.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Haven't played this yet, but definitely want to at some point. Can you still not save in it? I never understood that decision nor any of the arguments people use to defend it. Obviously you should not be able to abuse saving and loading, I'm talking about save and quit only.

Is anyone else holding off on playing this in the hope that a Save and Quit feature turns up?

RoadHazard RoadHazard Duchess Duchess I don't really know what you have heard, but you really aren't missing much ending a run if you wanted to switch games. Ether is saved between runs, perk unlock progress is saved between runs, shortcuts are saved between runs, key items are saved between runs, beaten bosses don't have to be beaten again to progress between runs, cyphers and logs are saved between runs. When you progress to the next biome in a run you immediately get a caliper to make sure your proficiency is high enough to get the right level of weapon drops even if you skipped the earlier biomes. I know you both think it is an oversight, but really the game is designed around the concept of not emphasizing a single run.

Some random editor at Sony picked a random phrase making this page and now guys are stroking off to it. Wack.
Yeah, if you look at all the descriptions on the OP, they sound like the intern just wrote some generic copy for each studio. Doesn't stop Returnal from being a gem though.

Bartski

Gold Member
Every Returnal thread needs a reminder of this awesome interview with the game director, so that anyone who still doesn't understand why the game has no mid-run save can gain some insight and why it's likely never gonna happen.

Sony could probably enforce it for commercial reasons but if they're happy with how the game did commercially without it - It doesn't sound like the studio will ever do that on their own accord.

Dr Bass

Nobody expects Sony to claim Returnal as a flop.

... same goes for every other developer out there. Developers rarely claim their games as flops.
Yep, this game had a better base formula for 3D Metroid these days than 3D Metroid. Kinda sad for us Nintendo fans. So close but so far. If the game had been a Metroid style game it would have been better than any of the prime games, at least IMO. Such a great game.

MrS

Banned
Is this a joke post or you living under a rock??
What's funny exactly? Internet forum chatter does not a sales phenom make. If Returnal is the megahit Sony have proclaimed it to be, show me some sales figures that bolster that claim. The game has been out since April 30th and is already 25% discounted while it also fell off sales charts real quick. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:

alienator

just made it to the last level, still not completed the game.. its a mega hit in my world, most played ps5 game up to now (mind u i only have my ps5 2 months now...) its gameplay loop is addictive, its supertight controls with the haptics and dual sense is very well done, the silent hill'ish vibe in the story and great graphics with impressive particles , id easily pay 90 dollars for this level of quality in a game. (but i got it at 56euro! :) )

kingfey

Banned
you watched it on youtube didnt you? dont bother actually replying becuase your the first user to go on my ignore list.
Good for me. Less annoying person for me to debate.

Its funny, that you mentioned me watching on youtube, yet ignored my frustration of the game. I doubt you can see this though, since you put me on your ignore list.

Have a good day stranger.

Last edited:

The Shepard

It should be.

People want a gameplay game, not stupid cinematic shit.

Returnal makes players feel like they are getting a challenge. Its hard game, and fun at the same time. Very rewarding.

This is the ps2 sony game. Not the boring ps4 sony game.

I hope they ditch the useless cinematic, and focus more on gameplay, like returnal, last of us 2 (less cinematic).

Gamers are bored from too much talking, no action game. They want to get lost in the game's world. Having fun, while playing the game.

Obviously not true as they wouldn't sell the numbers they do and Sony ps4 exclusives sold way more than there ps2 exclusives and the ps2 is the best selling console of all time. I'm all for more gameplay focused games but there's no need to get rid of the more cinematic games as Sony are the best in business at making them. Would be a stupid move.

Duchess

I know you both think it is an oversight, but really the game is designed around the concept of not emphasizing a single run.
Oh, I only consider it an oversight in the case of forced system restarts (such as a firmware update) or if you have a power cut or something.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
RoadHazard RoadHazard Duchess Duchess I don't really know what you have heard, but you really aren't missing much ending a run if you wanted to switch games. Ether is saved between runs, perk unlock progress is saved between runs, shortcuts are saved between runs, key items are saved between runs, beaten bosses don't have to be beaten again to progress between runs, cyphers and logs are saved between runs. When you progress to the next biome in a run you immediately get a caliper to make sure your proficiency is high enough to get the right level of weapon drops even if you skipped the earlier biomes. I know you both think it is an oversight, but really the game is designed around the concept of not emphasizing a single run.

Yeah, if you look at all the descriptions on the OP, they sound like the intern just wrote some generic copy for each studio. Doesn't stop Returnal from being a gem though.

Ah ok, didn't know it works like a roguelite. Seems ok then.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I know that these numbers don't mean much, but Returnal has roughly the same number of players on psnprofiles as Sackboy (~18-19k). They are not Demon's Souls (~42k) or R&C Rift Apart (~25k) numbers, but it's better than many people probably expected (myself included). I do wonder however how many more copies were sold through PS5 bundles. In my country a lot of the stores are selling more games this way, because people don't want to wait for the PS5 to become more accessible.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've bought it but I also got FF 7r at the same time and decided to play that first.... I loved it and now I am playing ff xv.
Returnal is not calling to me but I am interested if it's really any good

In just 8 months into the generation PS5 and PlayStation have 3 Mega-hits of their very own with Spider-Man Miles Morales, Returnal, and Ratchet & Clank. Others like Demon's Souls, Sackboy Adventure and Astrobot's Playroom have been also critically acclaimed and had strong engagement.

Then there's the 3rd party games timed console exclusive or simply exclusive like The Pathless, Bugsnax, FFVII Intergrade and Nioh Collection to name a few that have also been very well recieved. Don't need to name the few but fantastic 3rd party multiplat games already released.

Stuff like Deathloop and Kena will help keep up the pace and spice up even more the characteristic variety present on PS5 in its debut year. You can't fault Sony, they're kicking ass and they're just revving the engines up.

Last edited:
How big of a hit it was all depends on what their expectations were, I can't imagine they thought a game in that genre was going to be a multi million seller plus it was sold at $70.00

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
In other news, thank you, we now know crow does not taste like chicken nor it is sweet, but it is apparently very salty :p.

Seriously, if you find fans of the game which some warriors were treating as a sure bomba happy because it has all the signs of not being such… what does it make you?
Exactly.

I'm just here for the incoming salt.....

Nah it would just be another AA from an indie studio.
Well I do remember someone saying its just Recore with neon effects.....

So the devs themselves calling it AAA doesnt have any weight....

Cool.

Let me know when we can take devs words at face value again. I swear it changes up from platform to platform, game to game........

Dunno who they're trying to fool. Every indication is that sales were poor.
Really?

I would love to here these indications......

Last edited:
They also said destruction all stars was a global phenomenon…..

You mean the games description? From the links that people showed me the "global phenomenon" is the sport itself.

Dominate the glittering global phenomenon of Destruction AllStars – the spectacular prime-time sport for dangerous drivers!

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You mean the games description? From the links that people showed me the "global phenomenon" is the sport itself.

Its just the usual suspects with the usual disingenuous posts....

This is from Amazon:

Product description​

Heroes… icons… global sensations - sixteen fearless, charismatic AllStars make up the roster of international competitors vying for the Global Destruction Federation Championship. These guys are pay-per-view and pay-per-wreck quality. Main eventers and headliners. Known across the world. Utilize each Allstar’s abilities to tailor your tactics and play style – exploit their agility, speed or strength to wreck and evade rivals with powerful skills and parkour, switch between vehicles or leap onto speeding cars in heart-stopping takeover attempts. Pile-on the destruction from behind the wheel or leap into the arena with a breath-taking reel of parkour action by dodging attacks, taking over vehicles or using abilities to disrupt the onslaught of incoming vehicles. Cause enough mayhem to power up your Destruction AllStar’s game-changing hero vehicle fueled with special abilities. The AllStars roster is packed with fearless daredevils who fought to get to the pinnacle of their sport through masterful skills, precise timing and cunning tactics. Each competition features specific objectives and targets you need to hit as you direct and tailor the force, impact, speed and power of your destruction. Experience unique single-player game modes based around an AllStar and their Rival to earn valuable skins and cosmetics for the featured AllStars.**(**Internet connection required for voucher redemption)

Global [insert word here] is part of the product description.....

Last edited:
It's amusing watching the usual suspects struggling to cope that Returnal wasn't the bomba they had predicted.

The game led to the studio being purchased and superlatives from Sony about sales.. just what more evidence do the doubters need exactly? It's a little sad.
Some numbers would be nice :messenger_beaming: Because sales charts don't show Returnal being even close to a megahit. If Sony PR is enough for you, fine. I'ma stay doubting.

Its just the usual suspects with the usual disingenuous posts....

This is from Amazon:

Product description​

Heroes… icons… global sensations - sixteen fearless, charismatic AllStars make up the roster of international competitors vying for the Global Destruction Federation Championship. These guys are pay-per-view and pay-per-wreck quality. Main eventers and headliners. Known across the world. Utilize each Allstar’s abilities to tailor your tactics and play style – exploit their agility, speed or strength to wreck and evade rivals with powerful skills and parkour, switch between vehicles or leap onto speeding cars in heart-stopping takeover attempts. Pile-on the destruction from behind the wheel or leap into the arena with a breath-taking reel of parkour action by dodging attacks, taking over vehicles or using abilities to disrupt the onslaught of incoming vehicles. Cause enough mayhem to power up your Destruction AllStar’s game-changing hero vehicle fueled with special abilities. The AllStars roster is packed with fearless daredevils who fought to get to the pinnacle of their sport through masterful skills, precise timing and cunning tactics. Each competition features specific objectives and targets you need to hit as you direct and tailor the force, impact, speed and power of your destruction. Experience unique single-player game modes based around an AllStar and their Rival to earn valuable skins and cosmetics for the featured AllStars.**(**Internet connection required for voucher redemption)

Global [insert word here] is part of the product description.....

Exactly with Returnal megahit isn't part of what the game is about. It's related to the success of the title. Now I don't know what they mean by it but it doesn't scream horrible flop or a critically shamed game to me. It's either they are happy with the critical reception (which was good) or they are happy with the games sales performance (assuming it's above their expectations). It could also be a combination of both.

THEAP99

Banned

I'd assume that the acquisition was in the works prior to the game releasing, no?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
by the end of this gen, housemarque will be one of the best studio's in the world imo. these guys have it all now. they were always super talented and now have the full backing of sony.
I agree. I think Sony saw huge potential in Housemarque during the development of Returnal when Shuhei Yoshida would fly out to check the progress of the game and talk to the developers

Top Bottom