• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Hands-On Impressions (PS5) – A Roguelike Of AAA Quality That Isn’t Pulling Any Punches

Bo_Hazem

Banned
i don't care of what the source im talking about the video i don't think he modified the video.....there hard pop in ...wow even with that i/o ?

It's using traditional LOD system, UE4. Different from engine to engine with Insomniac being the best. AC Valhalla has that without raytracing. Also it has nothing to do with i/o speed.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Looks like Sony have struck gold again. I’m drowning in all these games Sony keep delivering

Damn it’s easy being a PlayStation fan

HU4Riqg.gif

i don't care of what the source and the analysis that could be wrong... im talking about the video i don't think he modified the video.....there is visible hard pop in ...wow even with that i/o ?

Well just imagine if the I/O was a lot slower.

It's using traditional LOD system, UE4. Different from engine to engine with Insomniac being the best. AC Valhalla has that without raytracing. Also it has nothing to do with i/o speed.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem yes it does seem like a LOD thing and not an issue with streaming.

Edit: This is an extreme example of popin.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
That's kind of funny because they made Returnal look better. Still really puzzled at what they were trying to do.

They either read GAF or are a member. Someone mentioned being reminded of Recore in one of the Returnal threads (maybe this one). The character animation and locomotion are similar.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The only thing that I'm seeing is that they are proving that Returnal looks better than Recore. Which probably goes against what they are trying to do.
True lol. Some are just so blinded by their fanboy goggles that they really thought that Recore looked and played better than Returnal.

Returnal could not even run on PS4 otherwise Sony would have released it on PS4 and tapped into that 114 million userbase. The game would have been an instant commercial success.

Last edited:
Anyone comparing it to Recore is insane. I liked Recore but, let's be honest, it was a bit shit.

Without shitting on Returnal (as it looks really well made) these previews do nothing for me as every Roguelike I've played has been the best game I've ever played for about a week until I got bored of the gameplay loop then it gets dropped never to be played again. If you are the kind of player that played Binding of Isaac or Hades for 100+ hours then, assuming this has the same level of content, it's hard to argue that $70 isn't going to be money well spent.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
why ? i was onestly shoked..to me the game a part from the beautiful effect and art direction is not very graphically intensive being very,very darkish can hide lots of the screen saving resources ..of all the games I would certainly not have expected in this one to see the ps5 with evident streaming / pop in problems
That's to set the tone of the game -- not to save resources. Also, it's just the first biome. There is also a 'snow' biome -- which is .... white.

sircaw

Banned
In terms of quality Returnal looks like it's far ahead of Recore. Why are people even comparing the two?

It's the typical, let's try and discredit the game, typical fanatical fans, etc.

It really peeves some people that the game might be a gigantic hit.

If the game is good, no matter on which piece of hardware we should all be happy, it pushes the other manufacturers to raise their standards in what they create.

geordiemp

why ? i was onestly shoked..to me the game a part from the beautiful effect and art direction is not very graphically intensive being very,very darkish can hide lots of the screen saving resources ..of all the games I would certainly not have expected in this one to see the ps5 with evident streaming / pop in problems

Try watching a non youtube compressed stream for starters, then you can see the dark levels look great in the neon effects, the sand areas, the whiter areas etc

tommib

Try watching a non youtube compressed stream for starters, then you can see the dark levels look great in the neon effects, the sand areas, the whiter areas etc

Bloody hell that 4K footage. It’s like a wet dream come true for Metroid Prime fans. The textures!

Mahavastu

No, it's quite easier than you think. :messenger_beaming:

I'm not/from Arab but I had to learn Arabic to read the Qur'an because I'm a Muslim.
I don't know, I tried to learn arabic several times but I already failed in learning the alphabet. For me a lot of letters look just the same and hard to decipher :messenger_neutral:
I spend a lot of time in an arabic speaking country (egypt) and being english only is quite some barrier when speaking to locals

ANIMAL1975

I don't know, I tried to learn arabic several times but I already failed in learning the alphabet. For me a lot of letters look just the same and hard to decipher :messenger_neutral:
I spend a lot of time in an arabic speaking country (egypt) and being english only is quite some barrier when speaking to locals
Try to learn portuguese mate and then come back to me, it's a focking nightmare.... and we natives.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Glad to see you around, brother. This website has been the best in quality, even though this video is only 29K bitrate which is usually pretty low! But seems to reflect the game as best as possible. Used the Pulse 3D headset to enjoy the sounds in that clip! From different clips seems like each rain droplet is generating a sound as you feel the separation between them even though we're talking about hundreds!

This game is confirmed to be using raytraced 3D audio, also GI RT. RT reflections can be found inside the house (mirrors) and probably selected places later on?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Start by learning slang vocally, although Egyptian slang is a far cry from formal Arabic but it's a good start ;). Start with simple verbs/nouns and it'll build up eventually. The biggest linguistic barrier is being "shy", trust me. Arabic teacher here if you need anything.

"But how returnal is getting a lot of praise and recore got a bad reception? Media is sony bias"

That's pretty much what's come down to

It's going to get annoying if Retural gets a higher MC than Recore. Doesn't mean the media are "paid by Sony" but Returnal can be a high quality game. I just hope they can see past their hate for Sony and just appreciate the game for what it is.

All I know about Recore is being one of the worst games last gen. Let's just move on.

The only thing people are doing with the comparison is showing how good Returnal looks. Once the reviews come out we will have comparisons between the critics. I really don't think Recore fans want that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom