• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Hands-On Impressions (PS5) – A Roguelike Of AAA Quality That Isn’t Pulling Any Punches

Max_Po

Banned
returnal-hands-on-impressions-ps5-a-roguelike-of-aaa-quality-that-isnt-pulling-any-punches-1.jpg

UMMHHH, just no, it looks like upscaled face from PS2, does not look 3D or how to put it, otherwise games looking good.

I know its easy to talk shit ...but perhaps why don't you actually load a ps2 game in 2021.... ps2 hasn't aged well.....

Every game has an ending, unless we're talking about simple games like Tetris or Chess.
I 'beat' Hades. After his defeat I was returned to the beginning of the game. I lost even when I won. I suppose it's a way to have infinite replayability. Was curious if this was the same thing since both are rogue games.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I 'beat' Hades. After his defeat I was returned to the beginning of the game. I lost even when I won. I suppose it's a way to have infinite replayability. Was curious if this was the same thing since both are rogue games.

Hades then is your typical indie/small roguelike. This is a triple A game, and you try reaching "White Shadow" signal to get the answer/story ending with many story parts around the world of Atropos.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Have they said what happens once you complete your first run? I mean, in what manner does the game change from that point on.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Hades then is your typical indie/small roguelike. This is a triple A game, and you try reaching "White Shadow" signal to get the answer/story ending with many story parts around the world of Atropos.
The main thing that set Hades apart aside from heavy story progression was how much you saved in between runs. Basically every run you did, you got a tangible reward in terms of permanent progression and story progression (even in the losses). It's one of the friendliest roguelikes around. The main character is never really frustrated, and the lobby area is a basically a friendly dating sim you return to over and over.

Returnal sounds a lot more punishing from the previews. Probably some consistent story progression even on losses, but virtually zero stat progression aside from teleport stations and environmental items.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Err not really. Portuguese here also, i don't agree that is the reason at all why this is Sonyland. In fact most people here just enjoy subtitles and not voiced characters be it in movies or games.
Portugal is Sonyland since the boom of the PS2 and Xbox never really got traction here. People, that don't have knowledge of gaming, refer to consoles as playstations even if it is a nintendo console. Xbox is pretty non-existant here and it always was like that. I had to order games from uk, because when i went to any store there was a small rack with xbox games, the rest were playstation games. This during the most successfull gen for MS (X360 era)
I'm one of those people _ don't even use subtitles anymore, don't need to, and prefer original voices. But you missed my point, of course the boom was with ps2 and its glorious library _ and dare to say that it began with the psOne and the CD player _ what i meant was that it's all the other little things (like total localization), added to an ecosystem through the years, (that alone maybe don't mean much) but combined make all the difference to maintain your fanbase in a market with stronger competition Gen after Gen.

Last edited:

kyoji

Sounds pretty rough for $70. I wonder how long he's played the game and only played level 1 and 2?

I get that roguelikes are a style, but a very harsh roguelike is designed this way specifically because you have less art assets in the game and it's usually much shorter than a normal campaign. You spend 60%+ of you total playtime playing the first two levels over and over.

From the 45 min of gameplay I saw in the intro, actually the story was the most interesting part for me. I'll definitely pick this up at some point, further down the road after some sales.
one preview guy said he spent 6 hours in just the first two biomes make of that what you will.

Last edited:

GymWolf

You have to beat the game 10 times for the real finale, the game is overloaded with voiced lines and stuff for every run you do.

I have like 300 runs and i still hear new dialogues.

kyoji

Sounds pretty rough for $70. I wonder how long he's played the game and only played level 1 and 2?

I get that roguelikes are a style, but a very harsh roguelike is designed this way specifically because you have less art assets in the game and it's usually much shorter than a normal campaign. You spend 60%+ of you total playtime playing the first two levels over and over.

From the 45 min of gameplay I saw in the intro, actually the story was the most interesting part for me. I'll definitely pick this up at some point, further down the road after some sales.
Y7pjkwL.jpg

GymWolf

That's a false equivalency.

Indie roguelite games probably have far more content than returnal because the graphic fidelity is much lower.

The small indie isaac probably has 100x times the content of returnal.

Last edited:
I like how you can sense he’s enjoying every second of the game. Pure joy with no bitching about how much it costs.
I mean if I were paying $100 for a game like some other poor Canadian poster here, I would be bitching too. Fuck outta here with these corporate greed prices.

Cyborg

Why is the OT title suggesting the game is nothing special while a lot of previews state the opposite. Am I missing something?

SinDelta

Huh. So for me Returnal is actually looking like the second game of the general 5 game rule of thumb before getting a new console. Hopefully by then there are some nifty PS5 slim bundles.

Demon Souls Remake
Returnal
Kana Bridge of Spirits
Deathloop
Horizon Forbidden West - ETA2021???
Final Fantasy XVI - ETA???
God of War Ragnarok - ETA???
Whatever Vanilawares next project/port is - ETA???

E3 can't arrive fast enough.

Last edited:

tassletine

Judging by amazon.com bestseller charts, the hype is mild at best. Returnal is way behind Nier Replicant, for example. I really hope this game doesn't bomb because of its price, because it looks pretty good.
It'll be superb. They really don't make bad games, but it's a lot to ask for a shooter like that.

I have more of a problem with ANY game costing that much, but this one could anger a few as it's not in the traditional AAA mould.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Has anybody ever died doing this?

Nothing I heard of, but now police would give you some serious punishment if you try so, not sure how big the fine and how many days in jail or one of them. I remember a German stunt tried to debunk the video, but it's try and he's just dumb, lol.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I am skeptical of this game at this price point, however I'm open to be proven wrong. If it really is this good, then I'll probably take a chance on it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The main thing that set Hades apart aside from heavy story progression was how much you saved in between runs. Basically every run you did, you got a tangible reward in terms of permanent progression and story progression (even in the losses). It's one of the friendliest roguelikes around. The main character is never really frustrated, and the lobby area is a basically a friendly dating sim you return to over and over.

Returnal sounds a lot more punishing from the previews. Probably some consistent story progression even on losses, but virtually zero stat progression aside from teleport stations and environmental items.

Yup, There are like 4 worlds and we only saw 2, the second crimson one is much harder, not sure about the rest but expect even harsher. Well, they might tweak it after release if reception isn't good enough from casuals, this seems to be harder than Souls games but 10x more fluid and zero clunkiness. Never tried Hades because such camera angle is actually something I've never played since Sega MegaDrive, and I have a bad tolerance to old games/designs.

Thanks for the details, mate. 🙌

Dr Bass

No wonder MS doesn’t even try, their fans can’t tell trash from quality.

Are you saying Recore was trash and this guy can't see that when making his comparison, or that Recore was good and it failed because Xbox fans can't tell what's good?

Recore was one of those games I really wanted to play when it came out, and I ended up not doing so because of the feedback. I also seem to remember it was made by some Metroid Prime people? I might give it a shot when I get the SX.

Either way I think your post is lame.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Are you saying Recore was trash and this guy can't that when making his comparison, or that Recore was good and it failed because Xbox fans can't tell what's good?

Recore was one of those games I really wanted to play when it came out, and I ended up not doing so because of the feedback. I also seem to remember it was made by some Metroid Prime people? I might give it a shot when I get the SX.

Either way I think your post is lame.

You can think the sky is purple and it still won’t change the fact that Recore is trash.

Top Bottom