• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal falls to #15 in Week 2 | UK Boxed Charts

Bodomism

Banned
What are you talking about?
UK isnt the weakest market for Nintendo at all it never was. Other than the wii u disaster

And how many people bought snap thinking that's actually a real game?

Bomba
UK is the weakest amongst top 6 market.

For Nintendo
1.US
2.Japan
3.France
4.Germany
5.China
6.UK

Some games like Astral Chain and etc sold more in small market like Spain than UK.

Andodalf

Banned
So as expected, digital distribution taking over the market.

Uhhh, wouldn't that also be true for the 14 games ahead of returnal?

Many of which are older games and therefore the people who want their physical copy already bought them. And which also now go on sale digitally? But they still outpace returnal.

This is just a niche game and people need to accept that

SLB1904

Banned
UK is the weakest amongst top 6 market.

For Nintendo
1.US
2.Japan
3.France
4.Germany
5.China
6.UK

Some games like Astral Chain and etc sold more in small market like Spain than UK.
Dude check nintendo numbers in uk. Animal crossing sold a million copies there what Sony game did that?

Jaysen

Banned
Now Nintendo can snap them right up and have them make a Metroid game that doesn’t suck. Returnal is a great game with a stupid price, a stupid save mechanism, really difficult, and in a very niche genre. Doomed even moreso by being exclusive. HM can’t catch a break. But sometimes you have to be smart enough to make your own breaks.

Bodomism

Banned
Dude check nintendo numbers in uk. Animal crossing sold a million copies there what Sony game did that?
AC sold around 810K in UK last year.

ACNH physical sales last year.
Japan - 6M
US - estimated around 4.5M
France - 1.1M
Germany - over 1M
UK - 810K

UK is the weakest amongst top 6 gaming market for Nintendo.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Uhhh, wouldn't that also be true for the 14 games ahead of returnal?

Many of which are older games and therefore the people who want their physical copy already bought them. And which also now go on sale digitally? But they still outpace returnal.

This is just a niche game and people need to accept that
Man... what take lol

CoD is usually the TOP seller in these ranking... you can see it was the TOP seller in March.
Now CoD dropped to 6th (it was 1st in January, 2nd in February)... do you think it is selling less? Or the others titles had good sales?

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
AC sold around 810K in UK last year.

ACNH physical sales last year.
Japan - 6M
US - estimated around 4.5M
France - 1.1M
Germany - over 1M
UK - 810K

UK is the weakest amongst top 6 gaming market for Nintendo.
Dude just because the uk is the weakest compared to other market doesnt mean is weak by any stretch of imagination

Context is really important here.
-Spin off Pokemon game isn't the same tier as mainline Pokemon game in sales.
-UK is the weakest market for Nintendo amongst top 6 gaming markets and yet Snap outsold it 3 to 1 in a launch week. It would be much bigger in other countries like US, Japan, France, and Germany.
-Leg is also an important metric to measure the sales as you can see Snap only down 63% after a huge launch while Returnal down 84% indicating words of mouth isn't good as Snap.

Are you actually stupid?

It doesn't matter if PS4 is bigger in the UK than the Switch. Returnal, a new IP for the PS5, was never, ever going to be bigger than Pokemon. Whatever metrics you want to try and use

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not every game will be 100 Million in budget. RATCHET was made with really very little to no mo-cap is all hand animated. And was made in like 3-4 years. While making another title at the same time. #Employee's does not always = games budget.

That can go else where. Returnal though not as expensive to make as others, still is in the AAA budget because there is some mo-cap, actress scans, voice over work. Also this game from my understanding has been in the works longer than 3 years.

It is up to Sony and the developer on what they feel they want to price the game at. Do I think this should have been $60? Yes.

Do I think this is possibly a GOTY contender? 100% yes.

There's people that have 30-40 hours into this game. There's a lot of content to keep playing after the first time you see credits. The story doesn't stop there. Has a ton of replayability.
I can vouch for that. I just finished the game a couple of hours ago in 32 hours (with 42 deaths).

By the way, I just ended Act 2. There is still Act 3 that I have to play for the true ending. That'd push the game into that 40-45 hour mark.

For comparison, Resident Evil Village can be finished in roughly 10 hours.

Bodomism

Banned
Are you actually stupid?

It doesn't matter if PS4 is bigger in the UK than the Switch. Returnal, a new IP for the PS5, was never, ever going to be bigger than Pokemon. Whatever metrics you want to try and use
I'm not comparing it with pokemon spin off but I'm stating the chart interpretation by some users here are very misleading.

What some people were saying " Returnal is second only to Pokemon "

What is the real situation based on the chart " Returnal nearly outsold by XXX game on week 150th of the chart by a few units "

Using Pokemon to shield Returnal sales performance is really wrong.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Are you actually stupid?

Plus, 80 million Nintendo Switch vs. 8 million PS5s.

It'd be super embarrassing for Nintendo if it sold more than Snap. I still think it kind of us considering Returnal came so close.

I'm not comparing it with pokemon spin off but I'm stating the chart interpretation by some users here are very misleading.

What some people were saying " Returnal is second only to Pokemon "

What is the real situation based on the chart " Returnal nearly outsold by XXX game on week 150th of the chart by a few units "

Using Pokemon to shield Returnal sales performance is really wrong.

No one did that. You're just drumming up conjecture to flex pokemon of all things

Sony does unfortunately. Wish it was a million seller but i knew its never happening.
It might be a million seller (once more people can have a PS5 to being with). This game is very niche so even Sony knows that it wouldn't sell like Horizon or God of War (also this game was much cheaper to produce). Also word of mouth will do wonders for this game.

Haggard

Banned
So as expected, digital distribution taking over the market.
Digital store employee of the month (and year) :

Bild_Corona_CDC-w9KEokhajKw-Unsplash.jpg

Mikey Jr.

I bought the game and beat it.

Even did a few more biomes after.

Great game,and gladly paid full price to support house marque.

But, for what this game was, it was WAY too much at regular last gen price.
Then they had the balls to tack on ANOTHER 10 bucks onto that?!

I'm sorry,but no.

This news does not shock me in the slightest.

Sony needs to cut ties to Housemarque. Reflex based, twitchy, arcade style DNA can't compete in today's market. It ain't 1996 anymore.

It's starting to feel like Returnal is the biggest commercial flop in the companies existence. We'll know soon enough.

Your opinions should be a criminal offense. If I saw your posts while I was still a developing child i'd probably be a retard

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looking forward to picking this up soon, but a drop to 15th must only be a few hundred copies sold?

Going to be interesting to see how Ratchet does at 70 bones in the UK. I think it will be fine, but it's a good test

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony needs to cut ties to Housemarque. Reflex based, twitchy, arcade style DNA can't compete in today's market. It ain't 1996 anymore.

It's starting to feel like Returnal is the biggest commercial flop in the companies existence. We'll know soon enough.

Despite releasing on the last day of the month (30th), It sold better than:
  • Fifa
  • Call of Duty
  • NBA
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Spider-Man
  • Madden NFL
  • Rainbow Six Siege
That is just 1 day of sales.
Source: https://blog.playstation.com/2021/05/10/playstation-store-april-2021-top-downloads/

Pass me some of that stuff, too, bruh!

Andodalf

Banned
Looking forward to picking this up soon, but a drop to 15th must only be a few hundred copies sold?

Going to be interesting to see how Ratchet does at 70 bones in the UK. I think it will be fine, but it's a good test

Ratchet is a bigger name in a bigger Genera, with an artstyle that looks great in ads. I think it won't be hurt too bad. Being PS5 only obvious does limit the potential though.

Zimmy68

Hate to say it, hope this "experiment" fails miserably. Nothing against Housemarque but releasing a game like this at $70 was crazy.
I will support when the price is brought down to earth. Until then, keep dropping like a rock!
I happily bought RE8, a game that probably could have gotten away with the $10 idiot tax but didn't.

Hustler

context matter so much in these discussions when comparing historical numbers and launches. Digital is widely supported nowadays and not to mention this game was underdeveloped by Sony for physical copies. In my area, I couldn't find copies for the first week in stores anywhere and if they had stock, it was limited to a few copies. These few factors make it hard to gauge just how successful of a launch this game has been.

even at 60 I don't think it would have changed much. I am enjoying it, but this is totally a niche title at best.
I think $40 was as high as they could have reasonably gone with it based on their previous titles.

I'm not the only person I know who wants to play it but is waiting for a sale.

Derift

at this point yall are just being willingly obtuse...i miss the regulars in the ps5/xbox tech thread :( they spoke more sense than what im seeing in these comments

Last edited:

Hustler

Hate to say it, hope this "experiment" fails miserably. Nothing against Housemarque but releasing a game like this at $70 was crazy.
I will support when the price is brought down to earth. Until then, keep dropping like a rock!
I happily bought RE8, a game that probably could have gotten away with the $10 idiot tax but didn't.
What is stopping you from waiting for the game to go on sale or buy 2nd hand in a few weeks / months? The whole $70 push back is insane to me, vote with your wallet if you want, this is as expensive or as cheap as a hobby as you want to make it. Just depends on how long you're willing to wait for price drops, or would you like to compare how Nintendo 1st party games stay at full price besides a few sales per year, if ever? If you can't afford $10 to pay day one, you most likely wouldn't have bought day 1 at $60 anyway. $10 is not a deal breaker for me, but then again I don't buy every single game day 1.... nor should anyone.

And I'm having a blast with Returnal btw and happy to support the developers.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I wonder how big the budget was for this game?

4 year dev time.
~80 employees right now.

I assume a chunk of that 4 years was spent with a leaner team size though.

It Takes Two sold over a million copies. Returnal probably sold a bit more than that.

Maybe it eeks out profit eventually, but it certainly doesn't look like a needle mover for Sony.

Zimmy68

What is stopping you from waiting for the game to go on sale or buy 2nd hand in a few weeks / months? The whole $70 push back is insane to me, vote with your wallet if you want, this is as expensive or as cheap as a hobby as you want to make it. Just depends on how long you're willing to wait for price drops, or would you like to compare how Nintendo 1st party games stay at full price besides a few sales per year, if ever? If you can't afford $10 to pay day one, you most likely wouldn't have bought day 1 at $60 anyway. $10 is not a deal breaker for me, but then again I don't buy every single game day 1.... nor should anyone.

And I'm having a blast with Returnal btw and happy to support the developers.
Again, it has nothing to do with being able to afford another $10, it is accepting an unnecessary price increase. They are testing the waters to increase the price and I wouldn't support it. There is nothing wrong with the already expensive $59.
Everyone that is buying this at $70 is voting with their wallet that it is ok, let's make all games $70.

[Sigma]

I expected it. The genre+difficulty scaring folks. Some of it is with problems the game was having but plenty of games have had those but it didn't effect them as much so it's more so the former I think. Makes me nervous though for Housemarque, it's fantastic game and Jim's crew has me worried they won't give them more support for another game.

Last edited:
Again, it has nothing to do with being able to afford another $10, it is accepting an unnecessary price increase. They are testing the waters to increase the price and I wouldn't support it. There is nothing wrong with the already expensive $59.
Everyone that is buying this at $70 is voting with their wallet that it is ok, let's make all games $70.

if the $70 provides a better ROI then i'm all for it.

If not then go back to $60, which they will if it fails.

THEAP99

Banned
4 year dev time.
~80 employees right now.

I assume a chunk of that 4 years was spent with a leaner team size though.

It Takes Two sold over a million copies. Returnal probably sold a bit more than that.

Maybe it eeks out profit eventually, but it certainly doesn't look like a needle mover for Sony.
Yeah. This plus the whole update causing issues idk if Sony is gonna work with them again. I hope they do work with them again though

[Sigma]

At this point, I rather see Jim let them port this game to PC just so it has a chance to get decent sales overall with the PS5 being hard to get and with no end in sight to the shortage, it's probably for the best when it comes to this games specifically.

Last edited:
Top Bottom