• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal 2.0 update - incl Suspend Cycle and photo mode

skit_data

Good update for people playing several games/having more than 2 people in their household using their console. Can’t say I needed it but I also felt a little stupid saying ”Nah, we can’t watch Netflix while eating cause you can’t save the run in Returnal” to my SO.

Ozriel

M$FT
I feel sorry for the posters who have to find a new reason to hate the game.

i feel sorry for those who claimed there was no issue with the previous arrangement, now that the devs themselves admit suspend is a well requested quality of life feature.

It will remain the weirdest, most puzzling and completely daft storyline of the year that people were ACTIVELY against quality of life features in this game. Christ.

I’ll definitely be buying this game now. Probably during the Black Friday sales.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I finally feel comfortable buying the game now. I'm glad they listened and came up with a good solution.

FrankWza

Finally imma use that Usb save scum exploit.

to play the game in a way the devs never wanted me to do.

kinda like the day 1 keyboard trick 🤣😂👋

watch me CHEAT my way to the finish
angry marlon brando GIF

i feel sorry for those who claimed there was no issue with the previous arrangement, now that the devs themselves admit suspend is a well requested quality of life feature.

It will remain the weirdest, most puzzling and completely daft storyline of the year that people were ACTIVELY against quality of life features in this game. Christ.

I’ll definitely be buying this game now. Probably during the Black Friday sales.
I don’t think many people were against it. I think most people that played it just found it not completely necessary to fully enjoy the game.

It’s certainly a welcome feature and will seriously help the less time fortunate or casual audience for sure. Hell I beat the game and I will certainly use this to casually go back and do some stuff in the biomes

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I think the point a lot of people made was that the "issue" was overstated. Kind of like calling this the "most puzzling and completely daft storyline of the year". Come on. That's pure hyperbole.

B23

Neo Member
Maybe now people will actually play the game and realize that a run usually doesn't last much longer than an hour :messenger_grinning_smiling:

tommib

FFF right off with that bs
I've finished the game but inability to stop the run and go to sleep does not work well with my work schedule.
A good run can be easily 5-6 hours. I finished that game 2 am
Same here. I would start at 9 pm and would end up my runs at dawn. I don’t regret one minute of it but I totally get why someone who just wants to turn their console off appreciates this change.

I’m not an easy mode advocate but this is the bare minimum to make the game more accessible. I’m ok with this.

Belthazar

What is it with games and photo modes?

This is NOT a critic to the game, but to photo modes in general...
Only game I ever took screenshots was fh4 and just because I would get $$ to buy cars, I never even saved them

Feel like every game today has to have photo mode...
People like sharing pictures on social media and photo mode helps them look better. It's not detrimental to people that don't use the feature, so there's really no reason to be salty about it.

Lognor

Banned
The mad lads did it. Wonder if this will make a material impact on its sales. Might be too late for that?

[Sigma]

So it turns out that you may be able to save scum it to a degree lol. I have not tested it out myself, it will be a while before I download it.

Bartski

Gold Member
So it turns out that you may be able to save scum it to a degree lol. I have not tested it out myself, it will be a while before I download it.
to what degree? They would have to make the world and location state stored elsewhere than your save file, I thought that is the case?

[Sigma]

to what degree? They would have to make the world and location state stored elsewhere than your save file, I thought that is the case?
I guess I shouldn't have put "degree" on that. But basically it seems you can put the save in the cloud once you shut down the game and download again after you die. So technically, you'll never have to start the biome completely over.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I guess I shouldn't have put "degree" on that. But basically it seems you can put the save in the cloud once you shut down the game and download again after you die. So technically, you'll never have to start the biome completely over.
so that tweet from Mystic Ryan was all bullshit and it works just like in any other game

kyliethicc

Blog says the suspend save can only be used once and is deleted after its used.

They surely would know people would try to use the cloud to work around this. Idk.

Bartski

Gold Member
Blog says the suspend save can only be used once and is deleted after its used.
that doesn't matter, OS backup works independently from the game while the game is closed. For a moment I thought they actually developed a way to store that info outside of your save file, that would have been amazing and a tech to solve to roguelike save scumming in general.

kyliethicc

that doesn't matter, OS backup works independently from the game while the game is closed. For a moment I thought they actually developed a way to store that info outside of your save file, that would have been amazing and a tech to solve to roguelike save scumming in general.
Sure they allow this suspend save file to be uploaded?

Bartski

Gold Member
Sure they allow this suspend save file to be uploaded?
You can't really choose or browse save files or types on the PS5, there is one save "package" per game. If this save state is part of the package it works like every other game meaning abusing it ("loading") takes about 30 seconds, as opposed to PS4 where scumming was a huge pain in the ass and took ages.
This means they would have to make this feature somehow independent from your save file available for backup, looks like it's not the case. I'm also downloading to test.

Topher

Gold Member

Pardon my ignorance......what is "save scumming"?

kyliethicc

You can't really choose or browse save files or types on the PS5, there is one save "package" per game. If this save state is part of the package it works like every other game meaning abusing it ("loading") takes about 30 seconds, as opposed to PS4 where scumming was a huge pain in the ass and took ages.
This means they would have to make this feature somehow independent from your save file available for backup, looks like it's not the case. I'm also downloading to test.
Maybe it gets saved somewhere else as part of the game package. Idk.

Top Bottom