• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retroarch on Series X and S |OT| Too many games

is there a ps1 guide, ive added what i beleive to be 2 ps1 bios so far and everytime ive loaded a ps1 game it says no bios deteced......Scph1001.bin is the one i tried

Last edited:

nkarafo

Where did you find the PCSX2 core? There is none such thing in the official buildbot.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Is anyone able to get the in game menu working on PS2 games and how do I remove vibration?

Ok so when you first start up ps2 games you should have access to the quick menu. There set it to a resolution your happy with (1080p is safe for all games). After you've set it change your video options to Full screen on, window mode off, scale 16.9 (or whatever you want). Then you'll lose access to the menu but all games should hold to those settings.

If you ever need to change it take it back to window and core set ratio (instead of 16.9). Then it will boot up in a small window. Press the button prompts listed earlier to bring up the settings again (I believe it was 10 down, A, up, up, A).

Then repeat the process at the start of the post. This is just a work around until it is fixed.

Save yourself the trouble and chose 1080p or 1440p at the start and you should never need to mess about with the PS2 quick menu again (until its fixed).

Vibration remove in the in game options. If not access the quick menu and it should stop (even if you cant see said menu due to the bug). Worst case scenario take out the controller batteries for a second).

In other related news I am happy to confirm Silent Hill 2 is playable native 4k 60fps all the way through (unlike many other PS2 games), so that's the setting I'm going to recommend as optimum quality in the settings post #2.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
is there a ps1 guide, ive added what i beleive to be 2 ps1 bios so far and everytime ive loaded a ps1 game it says no bios deteced......Scph1001.bin is the one i tried

I'm having same issue but was only trying PS1 games out of curiosity. I think it has to be seated in a different folder to the PS2 one. Where I'm not sure. Try asking in the discord (and report back 😉).

Dolphin is being worked on for Series X as well.

Also someone is trying to run PS3 stuff, some guy apparently got some Fps PS3 game to run, would be crazy if you could play a good chunk of PS3 and PS2 library on the Series X.

Teslerum

I'm having same issue but was only trying PS1 games out of curiosity. I think it has to be seated in a different folder to the PS2 one. Where I'm not sure. Try asking in the discord (and report back 😉).

The two best ones on Retroarch (Duckstation and Beetle) require the following bios images: scph5500.bin scph5501.bin and scph5502.bin

Emulation is the primary reason I picked up a Series S to go next to the Series X. It runs with ultra low power draw/heat generation and the small size of the SSD is irrelevant for this purpose as you can fit literally thousands of old school games on 360GB. I dare say the Series S is the best "emu station" ever released. It's pretty awesome for this purpose alone.

no i have the bios in the same folder, all i did was update retroarch somehow lol from within the app

YCoCg

Tekken 4 (and most Namco games really) doesn't take well to custom resolutions, it only displays properly in scales of native, not sure if RetroArch version will allow that in the options though.

Teslerum

Tekken 4 (and most Namco games really) doesn't take well to custom resolutions, it only displays properly in scales of native, not sure if RetroArch version will allow that in the options though.

PCSX2 standalone doesn't support custom resolutions for a while now, so I gotta admit I was surprised when I read 1080p while browsing this thread. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Hostile_18

Banned
PCSX2 standalone doesn't support custom resolutions for a while now, so I gotta admit I was surprised when I read 1080p while browsing this thread. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

They took out custom resolutions because a few games didnt play well with it? Kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. 🤯

Teslerum

They took out custom resolutions because a few games didnt play well with it? Kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. 🤯

Not really, there's no real reason for custom resolutions in the first place. After all it only determines internal resolution. What's the point in setting it to exactly 1080p except provoking bugs.?

Also its not just PCSX2 that does that, for example Dolphin and Duckstation do exactly the same thing and so does every other modern emulator really.

Edit: Or are we talking about different things right now?

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Not really, there's no real reason for custom resolutions in the first place. After all it only determines internal resolution. What's the point in setting it to exactly 1080p except provoking bugs.?

Also its not just PCSX2 that does that, for example Dolphin and Duckstation do exactly the same thing and so does every other modern emulator really.

Edit: Or are we talking about different things right now?

Maybe different things? I've had PS2, N64, Gamecube all playing in native 4k. They look so much better than the original release resolution.

Teslerum

Maybe different things? I've had PS2, N64, Gamecube all playing in native 4k. They look so much better than the original release resolution.

Did you have 4k or did you have a resolution like 6x *something 4k*? Because in Dolphin's case that's for example 3840x3168. Or in PS2's case that can be 3720x2976.

Hostile_18

Banned
Did you have 4k or did you have a resolution like 6x *something 4k*? Because in Dolphin's case that's for example 3840x3168. Or in PS2's case that can be 3720x2976.

As far as I'm aware full 4k resolution is 3840 × 2160, that's what I've been selecting for PS2 and N64 games. Where I got slow down or artifacts I drop down to 1440p or 1080p.

I have only play tested a few Gamecube games but if it wasn't exactly full 4k it will of been very close (can't recall exactly). In the Gamecubes case resolution didn't really affect performance too much high or low.

Hostile_18

Banned
The menu doesn't even open up for me just pauses the game, I'm gonna have a play around.

Depending on how much of an issue it is try a fresh retail install, full update, latest none testing bios and Silent Hill 2 on Series X as that works every time for me. Then you'll be able to set a resolution every PS2 game will launch at.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yes it does. I’ve been playing ps2 games in higher resolution on my pc for months.

edit: or are you talking about just letting you do whatever resolution you want and not picking from a set list of higher resolutions?

saw the answer, should read whole thread before responding haha

Last edited:

HUELEN10

Still debating this... I don’t wanna get my Xbox Live Account and purchases banned.

Is the dev mode one really that much slower than retail?

YCoCg

No, instead most emulators fall back on scales of Native and then either upscale or downscale to the output resolution. So, e.g. 3x Native Resolution on most PS2 games would be 1920x1344, and that would be used for 1080p as it would downsample to that.

Setting a custom resolution worked fine for a handful of games but caused major issues in most others, as pointed out above most Namco games would generate screen garbage and black lines on the screen if it was rendering outside of a native scale.

Fredrik

Resident Evil Outbreak

Star Fox Adventures.

Project Zero II

Tekken 4

Need For Speed Underground 2 (ps2)

Shadow of the Collosus.

Woah that’s crazy, seems to run pretty great.

Retroarch is like the best thing about XSX at the moment. I actually got an old Amiga game I made in my teens running on PUAE, awful game but that it even works is kinda wild and like stepping through a time-machine.

I thought MS had wiped the app yesterday, it couldn’t start and when I checked the app list it said it wasn’t installed. Apparently it wasn’t MS but the app itself, it can kill itself for some reason. So a tip for anyone who run into the issue, go into your apps and you’ll find a blank app icon, uninstall that then go to the github links again to reinstall.

Woah that’s crazy, seems to run pretty great.

Retroarch is like the best thing about XSX at the moment. I actually got an old Amiga game I made in my teens running on PUAE, awful game but that it even works is kinda wild and like stepping through a time-machine.

I thought MS had wiped the app yesterday, it couldn’t start and when I checked the app list it said it wasn’t installed. Apparently it wasn’t MS but the app itself, it can kill itself for some reason. So a tip for anyone who run into the issue, go into your apps and you’ll find a blank app icon, uninstall that then go to the github links again to reinstall.
i must admit my app icon keeps dissapearing from my pins...

Emulation is the primary reason I picked up a Series S to go next to the Series X. It runs with ultra low power draw/heat generation and the small size of the SSD is irrelevant for this purpose as you can fit literally thousands of old school games on 360GB. I dare say the Series S is the best "emu station" ever released. It's pretty awesome for this purpose alone.

Ehh, it's still pretty buggy with plenty of flaws. Especially if your interested in anything Dreamcast, PS2 & Gamecube. I'd still recommend paying more to emulate on PC.

There is severe size limitations in Retail mode (16gb internal storage, including retroarch app itself). Since PS2 is mostly only playable internally, we're talking about 3 full size DVD games, max. Gamecube games are bootable off a USB, but it's really copying over the iso to the hard drive the first time you boot up.

Some cores are not as good as standalone emulation. Dreamcast is particularly disappointing. It's literally near perfect on any 5 year old gaming laptop but is fairly mediocre in retroarch. Dolphin is also in much better state in standalone emulation as I'm getting frame drops or crashes in some games.

16 bit, MAME, PS1, are near perfect & N64 is great. A retropie with can get you similar results at 1/5th of the price minus good n64 emulation.

I was very impressed at first, but the more spend time with it, the more issues and limitations I come across.

Hostile_18

Banned
Don't forgot though it's still very early days with regards to Series X emulation. For day 1 and taken it is running unexpectedly I think it's great.

As for the 16gb limit couldnt you just buy a cheap usb stick and copy the games cover as and when you need them? That's what I'm planning to do. 16gb still allows for a few games to be played concurrently.

wvnative

Don't forgot though it's still very early days with regards to Series X emulation. For day 1 and taken it is running unexpectedly I think it's great.

As for the 16gb limit couldnt you just buy a cheap usb stick and copy the games cover as and when you need them? That's what I'm planning to do. 16gb still allows for a few games to be played concurrently.

Are devs planning to update each retroarch core to take advantage of Series X/S?

wvnative

Been playing some on my One X, just to figure it all out for when I upgrade to Series X.

y'all got tips? I got issues man, crashes a lot, in regards to PS1 games some cores won't load certain games and its all so inconsistent. PCSX Rearmed seems best but won't load .cue files for multi-track games. Duckstation won't load without the bios and can't seem to see my bios that i have.

I'm on retail, is there a general consensus on rather retail or dev mode is better?

Been playing some on my One X, just to figure it all out for when I upgrade to Series X.

y'all got tips? I got issues man, crashes a lot, in regards to PS1 games some cores won't load certain games and its all so inconsistent. PCSX Rearmed seems best but won't load .cue files for multi-track games. Duckstation won't load without the bios and can't seem to see my bios that i have.

I'm on retail, is there a general consensus on rather retail or dev mode is better?
I'm on retail and I'll have a look tomorrow for you on what ps1 bios I have to get it working! Although I did update the app internally so try that aswell....

Yeah I just go to online updater, but I think ya gotta load each core individually...
yeah thats what i meant buy updating sorry....altho my ps1 bios wasnt recognised until i did the online updates...my ps1 bios is called PSX if thats helps....ive only have a few games not many but i cant get tomb raider 1 or 2 to work...tomb raider 3 is fine

ok so if some games have 1 or 2 bin files they seem to run fine...i have tomb raider 3 which has one bin file...but my tomb raider 1 and 2 have like 50 odd bin files......is that why they dont work properly just to many files???

Top Bottom