• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retroarch on Series X and S |OT| Too many games

Hostile_18

Banned
I had an issue with God Hand where the screen is small on the top left and if you open the emulator menu it is squished and almost impossible to navigate.
to fix this you sadly have to change the resolution every time you play. only after you change the resolution does it diplay correctly

so a small PSA for everyone facing that issue in PS2 games:

open the emulator menu with your set shortcut,
press down 10x (this will highlight the video settings),
press A,
press up 2x,
press A,

now you are in the resolution settings, change that one up or one down and try to navigate back to the resume button.
after you hit resume your screen will go black for a second and when it comes back should be normal size

ANOTHER PSA different isssue tho:

if you notice slowdown during curscenes or other scenes where you didn't use or press anything on your controller in a while... move the right or left stick and it should return to normal speed.

yes, it seems that not using any controller inputs actually causes slowdown.
I just played GodHand and the cutscenes always slowed down during some scenes. then it happened after I exited a challenge mission. my character was standing there and all on screen was a wall but still massive slowdown!
AS SOON AS I MOVED MY LEFT STICK it went back to normal speed!

and sure enough from that point on I tried simply moving the left stick a bit during cutscenes, AND NO SLOWDOWN IN ANY SCENE!

so, it's weird, but not using your controller after the game does either a camera cut or loads something in seems to caise slowdown. just moving the sticks around a bit every so often fixes this.

I had both of those issues last night. So glad you found that fix. Someone on the Discord said PS2 emulation only supports up to 1080p at the moment. Seems to be on a per game basis as Silent Hill 2 for example has no issue at 4k 60.

Maybe I should change all the PS2 recommendations to 1080p for now until it's fixed?

hiya all new here, i have the retail version installed on my xbox one x but require a little help, i have a ps2 bios sorted and it loads up games but framerate and the look is terrible.

also whats the best ps1, dreamcast,n64 bios's to use

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
hiya all new here, i have the retail version installed on my xbox one x but require a little help, i have a ps2 bios sorted and it loads up games but framerate and the look is terrible.

also whats the best ps1, dreamcast,n64 bios's to use

Welcome to the forum 😊. I think that's just the performance with one x as the cpu in the new consoles is alot faster.

The discord is saying this should be enough to fix the PS2 games;

From the Retroarch Main Menu, enter Settings then the Video tab. Scroll down and change the options to resemble these; "Fullscreen = ON", "Window = OFF", "Aspect Ratio 16.9.

Seems almost too simple, pretty sure I tried this and had to do the button prompts posted earlier. 01011001 01011001 what do you think? I'm at work at the moment and can't test it.

Last edited:

Banned
Welcome to the forum 😊. I think that's just the performance with one x as the cpu in the new consoles is alot faster.

From the Retroarch Main Menu, enter Settings then the Video tab. Scroll down and change the options to resemble these; "Fullscreen = ON", "Window = OFF", "Aspect Ratio 16.9.

Seems almost too simple, pretty sure I tried this and had to do the button prompts posted earlier. 01011001 01011001 what do you think? I'm at work at the moment and can't test it.

I'm going to try this later, wonder if it helps

ksdixon

What's the chances of MS just revoking the license to run retail Retroarch, or Retroarch in Dev mode, in due time? Say, if other companies make a stink?

ah thats a damn shame, ill have to get a series s or x then.

ill try those options thankyou.

jaysius

Banned
01011001 01011001 I see streamers playing Super Mario Galaxy on a Series X flawlessly at 4k while at 1080p I'm trying to play it and I'm getting occasional slow down and chunking up of the audio. What settings do I need to set to make mine play smoothly. I've tried CPU rate at 20% and other % and it's not making it super smooth, but that's the best the discord could come up with. Also if you want to give me advice just tell me where to go, not a button combination thanks. I'm in retail mode too.

Last edited:

wvnative

01011001 01011001 I see streamers playing Super Mario Galaxy on a Series X flawlessly at 4k while at 1080p I'm trying to play it and I'm getting occasional slow down and chunking up of the audio. What settings do I need to set to make mine play smoothly. I've tried CPU rate at 20% and other % and it's not making it super smooth, but that's the best the discord could come up with. Also if you want to give me advice just tell me where to go, not a button combination thanks. I'm in retail mode too.

I, too, would love to know. Don't have a series X but am jotting down proper info for when I score one.

Banned

well my button combo is for the specific case where the retroarch menu on PS2 games is so distorted that you can barely read it or the text is not synced up with the actually menu.

the options are "video" and then "resolution" I think they're called.

the dolphin core in the retail version seems to miss features of standalone PC dolphin (I can't speak for dev mode)
it's hard to tell why some people can play games without issue but others can't.

there is a dolphin wiki tho where many games have listed issues and how to solve them.

with that said, I tried fixing The Last Story texture glitch following the guide on there and I couldn't get it to work.
either the option I changed was the worng one (it was the only one remotely sounding similar to what the guide said), it's not here at all or maybe the changes don't get applied properly.

Last edited:

ksdixon

I'm somewhat late to this, but does anyone else's PS2 games stop transferring over ftp? I don't know what to do to make them move.

Is this that 2GB limit I read something about the other night?

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm somewhat late to this, but does anyone else's PS2 games stop transferring over ftp? I don't know what to do to make them move.

Is this that 2GB limit I read something about the other night?

It's a nightmare. Mine kept disconnecting or not connecting at all. I did find one that worked eventually, I can't recall the name. Try a file at a time, if one keeps failing move to the next one.

ksdixon

It's a nightmare. Mine kept disconnecting or not connecting at all. I did find one that worked eventually, I can't recall the name. Try a file at a time, if one keeps failing move to the next one.

I think I may be hitting the other 16GB limit I read about late last night.

When I removed some N64 roms, I at least managed to get the 4kb Shadow Of Memories/Shadow Of Destiny .md5 file loaded onto the ftp, and have the ftp window refresh itself to show that much. Then I got about 9% of God Hand to transfer, before it froze up and stopped transferring. I guess I need to be a little more selective with what I put onto the XBSX if I only have 16GB space for roms to play with.

I, too, would love to know. Don't have a series X but am jotting down proper info for when I score one.

Load the game, go to Quick Menu > Options > Shader Compilation Mode > change to 'a-sync UberShaders'. This is known to solve stutter issues in Dolphin.

Hostile_18

Banned
I think I may be hitting the other 16GB limit I read about late last night.

When I removed some N64 roms, I at least managed to get the 4kb Shadow Of Memories/Shadow Of Destiny .md5 file loaded onto the ftp, and have the ftp window refresh itself to show that much. Then I got about 9% of God Hand to transfer, before it froze up and stopped transferring. I guess I need to be a little more selective with what I put onto the XBSX if I only have 16GB space for roms to play with.

Aw is that 16gb even in Retail mode? Maybe that's why my files were failing eventually. Tbh might be good in narrowing my focus a little 😂.

Teslerum

with that said, I tried fixing The Last Story texture glitch following the guide on there and I couldn't get it to work.
either the option I changed was the worng one (it was the only one remotely sounding similar to what the guide said), it's not here at all or maybe the changes don't get applied properly.

Potentially you could use a .ini file to fix it. Create an ini called SLSEXJ.ini (US Version) and copy the following into it.

[Video_Hacks]
EFBToTextureEnable = False

[Video_Settings]
SafeTextureCacheColorSamples = 512

The location should be

saves\User\GameSettings

in the Retroarch folder. Put it there if that's possible.

Hostile_18

Banned
The X Files Resist or Serve 1080p 60 fps.

I've revised all PS2 listings to be 1080p. Theres no graphical errors in this resolution and a lot fewer areas of slow down and it's still 4 times better than native. The best compromise IMO.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Is anyone able to see if theirs still works? I just turned mine on to set up some more games, was going through menus and it just exited abruptly. Retrospection then had been deleted from my console, and the download link in Edge now takes you to a "something went wrong" page in the store :(. I think MS have removed it and revoked access.

Hostile_18

Banned
Is anyone able to see if theirs still works? I just turned mine on to set up some more games, was going through menus and it just exited abruptly. Retrospection then had been deleted from my console, and the download link in Edge now takes you to a "something went wrong" page in the store :(. I think MS have removed it and revoked access.

I've heard of this error before, its fixable. Just a bad type of crash.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Not sure, worst case a complete format I guess. Try asking on the discord first 😊.
Yeah I'm asking on there now and getting lots of idiots going "apps cant delete themselves" lol. Why would I lie about this and go on there asking for help?

I've done 3 full power cycles, tried the link again, it's gone. Cannot get it back :(. A few other people now saying the download link doesn't work and they've lost access too.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Damn, I guess it's just dead for me permanently. Store page just says it's "installing view in queue" but it's definitely not. Other people have tried uninstalling and re-installing and its fine for them. Guess it's back to my PC for retro gaming then.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Thats strange I'm going to check mine still there when I get home
I think it had something to do with it just crashing while i was in the settings. That seems to have corrupted mine or something - I can still see what I think is the retrospection folder structure on my xbox when I ftp, but it doesn't have the name retrospection anymore, or my bios files etc. I think deleting it would probably fix the issue, but i don't want to delete it because im not 100000% sure that it is retrospection.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Same, the shield pro works pretty well but was hoping to be able to run PS2 potentially with the new core
Well, I tried to play the PS2 Wizardry game, and it just fails to load. Probably won't mess with PS2 until I score a Series X. To much of a hassle for something that won't work well anyway.

ksdixon

Bit of advice for others. If you're struggling to find the bios or run games, update your assets on the Retroarch menu. Once I did this, the entire menu structure changed to a nice icon one, and all the bios files seemes to be found aautomatically.

Onto the games:

Resident Evil 2 on gamecube was a black screen, but had RE noises responding to my button presses.

A LOT of PS1 games just refused to run for me. A damn shame I couldn't get Die Hard Trilogy 1 or 2 to run, nor Dino Crisis 2. I kept trying each of the PS1 bios's had (rearmed, duckststation, beetle, beetle + hw). Quite disheartening.

How can one pull up an in-game overlay menu, you know for editing the resolution/visual settings? Some PS1 games that I did get working look horribly pixelated on my TV, for example.

Also, is there a way to exit the rom that's running without having to go to main XB dashbaord, quit Retroarch retail, then go back in and select a new game?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
After some trial and error, I wouldn't bother with PS2/GC/Wii on Xbox One X or lower

PS2 didn't load at all, GC was super slow and Wii just Froze damn Jaguar CPU

Everything else is working great!

Hostile_18

Banned
Bit of advice for others. If you're struggling to find the bios or run games, update your assets on the Retroarch menu. Once I did this, the entire menu structure changed to a nice icon one, and all the bios files seemes to be found aautomatically.

Onto the games:

Resident Evil 2 on gamecube was a black screen, but had RE noises responding to my button presses.

A LOT of PS1 games just refused to run for me. A damn shame I couldn't get Die Hard Trilogy 1 or 2 to run, nor Dino Crisis 2. I kept trying each of the PS1 bios's had (rearmed, duckststation, beetle, beetle + hw). Quite disheartening.

How can one pull up an in-game overlay menu, you know for editing the resolution/visual settings? Some PS1 games that I did get working look horribly pixelated on my TV, for example.

Also, is there a way to exit the rom that's running without having to go to main XB dashbaord, quit Retroarch retail, then go back in and select a new game?

With Gamecube games you need to run it in DX11 mode, otherwise you get the black screen.

Apparently you can increase the PS1 resolution as well but you need a bios and to load up the right emulator (I believe there is 4 to choose from).

Overlay menu you have to assign in the controller inputs menu. Same with the exit game button. Then you can change the resolution (note the PS2 games quick menu is buggy, set the resoution once to 1080p and leave it at that, you will probably lose access to it after that till its fixed).

MrFunSocks

Banned

Onto the games:

For any game that has a black screen but sounds, or even that just straight up doesn’t work, before you load the game try changing to dx11 or dx12 instead of go via the drivers menu.

To bring up the in game menu, go to input -> hot keys. It’s like 3rd option down for quick menu I believe. I set it to start + select. In that you can change the resolution etc while in game if the core supports it. Pcsx doesn’t, but duckstation does. Can run up to 4K with all sorts of enhancements. As before, try dx11 or 12 if gl doesn’t work.

I haven’t found a way to exit the rom yet without quitting the whole app unfortunately.

Last edited:

Rob_27

Can you still download it from the store?

I entered email and gamer tag correctly but just says something went wrong in link further back. I've not beed added to discord though either 😢

Hostile_18

Banned
Can you still download it from the store?

I entered email and gamer tag correctly but just says something went wrong in link further back. I've not beed added to discord though either 😢

You can download it still. Did it myself this morning from a fresh install. 😊

Hostile_18

Banned
I guess I'm not on a white list as it says 'something went wrong'

Nevermind

When did you request? Hes been approving them multiple times a day (plus it's been extended ANOTHER week). Maybe try again, it had to be the email linked to your xbox account.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Requested Sunday. Will try again cheers
If you have a PC with the same email linked to Windows/Store, try doing it there first. It seemed to work that way for me. First on Xbox/Edge it didn't work, then I did it on my PC and it came up with the app in the store, then I went back to the Xbox and it worked. I've seen stupider things.

Hostile_18

Banned
Well I think I'm sorted with this now. Smooth sailing. Boy was it a learning curve though, hurdles at every step 😂 and took ages to learn all the options. Must of wasted 3 days but I think I can trouble shoot and investigate problems as they occur now. When I started I had no idea.

Chose my 16gb of games. Starting with Silent Hill 2. Its only going to get better as they develop it. The fact it runs like this at all given its on a machine it was not developed for is amazing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom