• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retroarch on Series X and S |OT| Too many games

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
So this retail version, is it safe? I won't get banned? I can just play it in standard mode (not dev mode) normally? Then why the hell did I get the Dev version? :|
I don't know if it's safe. We'll find out here soon enough, but at least you have the dev version if you don't want to get manually whitelisted(email for Xbox+Discord name), or if they somehow pull the retail version. I decided to try this since the guy is supposedly the developer behind the Xbox/UWP version. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: TLZ
i have dev mode and the whitelisted version installed. for the dev mode version, i was just loading games off of a USB stick

is that possible for the whitelisted version? or do i need to copy them to the ssd? i dont see the USB drive available when i go to load content in the whitelisted version

Last edited:
So this retail version, is it safe? I won't get banned? I can just play it in standard mode (not dev mode) normally? Then why the hell did I get the Dev version? :|

I don't think MS would bother since it's likely only a couple thousand accounts. At worst they'll remove it with a future update. But if you have it already set up using dev, I wouldn't bother switching. It's only little bit more convenient with more risks attached to it.

btw MGS HD collection is on sale right now for 50% off and it's backwards compatible. No enhancements though

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I don't know if it's safe. We'll find out here soon enough, but at least you have the dev version if you don't want to get manually whitelisted(email for Xbox+Discord name), or if they somehow pull the retail version. I decided to try this since the guy is supposedly the developer behind the Xbox/UWP version. 🤷‍♂️
I don't think MS would bother since it's likely only a couple thousand accounts. At worst they'll remove it with a future update. But if you have it already set up using dev, I wouldn't bother switching. It's only little bit more convenient with more risks attached to it.

btw MGS HD collection is on sale right now for 50% off and it's backwards compatible. No enhancements though
Thanks. I submitted to be whitelisted. Will check it out whenever it works. I'd rather the convenience tbh.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Final Fight 3 running on RetroArch(bSNES core) on Series S...

I switched over to DX12 mode and did every update they had available from within RetroArch. They have shaders you can download then load up for use in a variety of emulators. I can't remember what I had here...something like bicubic + 5xBRZ.

What’s all the talk of retail? Is there a paid version?

Technically the Dev mode version is the paid version, since the app costs $20 from the MS Store.

Dom's discord released a limited number of Retroarch and PPSSPP to use in retail mode, on a pre-approved whitelist, for free. It's moderately more convenient but I personally wouldn't recommend it as Dev mode is safer and has zero chance of getting removed at some point in the future.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I've tried to emulate a couple of N64 games over the last few days and have run into a couple of glitches, I wonder if anyone can help?

On Goldeneye, all the textures placed on the environment, door handles, locks, buttons, bullet holes etc are flickering.

On space station silicon valley, none of the collectables appear (they were 2d sprites from what I remember)

I would be eternally grateful if anyone has any advice for fixing these issues.

Edit: also is it normal for the whole app to close when changing games or using the quick menu to close a game?

Last edited by a moderator:

wvnative

Anyone try this on xbox one? Can't get a Series X right now.

Also, via retail mode, does retroarch have access to the full Series S/X hardware? I heard something about in dev mode it couldn't use the full power.

And, does the 2GB rom limit via external drive still apply?

Hostile_18

Banned

Also, via retail mode, does retroarch have access to the full Series S/X hardware? I heard something about in dev mode it couldn't use the full power.

Pretty sure this has been broken now. Not sure how though.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Holy shit! Just got whitelisted for retail and the version of PPSSPP provided doesn't have that 'O' button(Xbox pad 'B') problem, it just works AMAZING! Thank you Dominater01 on behalf of all Xbox and Retro GAF!

Oh lordy, it's even got the post process shaders included and it's stable! and FTP portal?!?
tenor.gif

P.S.- Thanks to quickwhips quickwhips for bringing this to our attention. This is fully fucking amazing!

FF: Crisis Core PPSSPP retail Xbox release(4xPSP, Sharpening filter, x16 AF, loaded from USB)...
FFCC3.jpg

Last edited:

quickwhips

I think dev is capped at 2gb for wii games but that doesn't apply with retail.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Holy shit! Just got whitelisted for retail and the version of PPSSPP provided doesn't have that 'O' button(Xbox pad 'B') problem, it just works AMAZING! Thank you Dominater01 on behalf of all Xbox and Retro GAF!

Oh lordy, it's even got the post process shaders included and it's stable! and FTP portal?!?
tenor.gif

P.S.- Thanks to quickwhips quickwhips for bringing this to our attention. This is fully fucking amazing!

FF: Crisis Core PPSSPP retail Xbox release(4xPSP, Sharpening filter, x16 AF, loaded from USB)...
FFCC3.jpg

I got white listed as well 😁. Thanks quickwhips quickwhips

Big difference in file size like roughly 1.4 gig vs 400mb dev version (approximately). Haven't had chance to dig into it but menus are completely different. Looks alot more advanced at a glance.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Def Jam: Fight For NY running via retail PPSSPP on Series S...

Runs great. I notice a little hitching when the music switches tracks just for a split-second. Might work better from the SSD, but I like having it boot from my 2TB external hard drive.

Hostile_18

Banned
Def Jam: Fight For NY running via retail PPSSPP on Series S...

Runs great. I notice a little hitching when the music switches tracks just for a split-second. Might work better from the SSD, but I like having it boot from my 2TB external hard drive.

How do you boot from the external ssd on the retail version? I couldnt find the option last night just a long list of drive letters.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
How do you boot from the external ssd on the retail version? I couldnt find the option last night just a long list of drive letters.
It should be one of the drive letters once you plug in the external drive. The D: drive is assigned to my external USB when I use the front usb port on Series X.
There's also an option in settings, I believe under 'Directories', that will allow you to set the 'Start Directory', then when you go to load content you click that option(1st option) and it will go to the USB emu folder.

dan76

I'm just going to chime in here and say this is amazing. I had zero interest in a new console but this changes things somewhat. I wonder if stuff like Teknoparrot could run, or how about hooking us a USB dolphin bar for light gun games.

Hostile_18

Banned

It should be one of the drive letters once you plug in the external drive. The D: drive is assigned to my external USB when I use the front usb port on Series X.

Interesting I don't have a D (Cant believe I just said that lol). Had no issues detecting it in developer mode.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
A ~$350 emulation box with HDMI out and the run-ahead features of Retroarch might be worth getting an XsS for emulation alone, in my opinion. Me and my buddies have followed the various aftermarket consoles, the "Pi arcades", the beefier Pi alternatives, as well the cheap PC route, and this is in line with what we've seen.

TLZ

Banned
Anyone know how to play Sega CD games? I've put my bios files in the system folder in retrospect. I tried 2 emulators, one didn't work and the other loaded for 2 secs and crashed to Xbox dash.

Hostile_18

Banned
Zelda Ocarina of Time is native 4k 60fps, some drops in cutscenes.

If anyone has any games to list for the OP please state;

1: The machine (Series S or X)
2: The maximum resolution (up to 4k)
3: The average FPS.
4: Which build (Retail or dev)

😊

Last edited:

nkarafo

I've tried to emulate a couple of N64 games over the last few days and have run into a couple of glitches, I wonder if anyone can help?

On Goldeneye, all the textures placed on the environment, door handles, locks, buttons, bullet holes etc are flickering.

On space station silicon valley, none of the collectables appear (they were 2d sprites from what I remember)

I would be eternally grateful if anyone has any advice for fixing these issues.

Edit: also is it normal for the whole app to close when changing games or using the quick menu to close a game?
Are there any core options?

Is there a GL/Vulkan option? Or just D3D? GL is the best for N64, then Vulkan i think.

Make sure you are using GlideN64 as the plugin.

If there is no improvement, try using the Parallel plugins, if they are available in the core options (you need both RDP and RSP).

I get no such glitches in Windows/PC version of RetroArch but i'm using GL as the backend.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

It really is amazing been able to play all these games with improved graphics and framerates. 🤯

I honestly just want to play Dragon Quest VIII. The 3DS version is alright but I just had the midi with a passion. That and Project Justice and other obscure fighters...speaking of which do fightsticks work?

Last edited:

Banned
so PS2 doesn't run that well from first tests. Urban Chaos Riot Response was the first I tried and it had massive slowdowns as well as an issue where as soon as something triggered controller rumble the controller didn't stop to rumble until I opened up the system menu.
it seems only select games run full speed or close to it on that core as of now and Urban Chaos is a bit niche I guess lol.

next thing ima try is Wii, with The Last Story! Since it has classic controller support that should be no issue :)

Hostile_18

Banned
so PS2 doesn't run that well from first tests. Urban Chaos Riot Response was the first I tried and it had massive slowdowns as well as an issue where as soon as something triggered controller rumble the controller didn't stop to rumble until I opened up the system menu.
it seems only select games run full speed or close to it on that core as of now and Urban Chaos is a bit niche I guess lol.

next thing ima try is Wii, with The Last Story! Since it has classic controller support that should be no issue :)

Is that on the S or X? Retail or dev? 😊

Quasicat

My Nvidia Shield tv came out in 2015 and does all of that. So what?
I tried Retroarch and PPSSPP on my One X to see how they run; not great, but they will get better over time. In the mean time, I agree that I will continue to use the Shield TV since it also doubles as my dedicated Plex server, so that’s not going anywhere.

Banned
Is that on the S or X? Retail or dev? 😊

Series X retail.

I just tested Shadow of Rome which runs absolutely perfectly so far.

intro level in the arena and the first bits running around in the forest after that ran at full speed.

too bad the game had that weird fake motion blur effect which looks really weird on a 4k panel blown up to 4x resolution lol.

edit: slight texture flicker issues in faces in Shadow of Rome.

seems to be connected with increasing the internal resolution.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Games tested by users;

Series X (Retail app)
Goldeneye 4k 60fps*
The Legend of Zelda: OoT 4k 60fps
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 4k 30*
Mario 64: 4k 55-60fps.
Mario Party 2 4k 60 fps
Shadow of Rome 4k 60fps

Series S (Retail app)

*minor issues

More added. If anyone has any further ones I'll add them tomorrow 😊

Banned
Can confirm that Zelda: Wind Waker 4k 30fps 😁. Resolution dosnt seem to affect frame rate much.

on GameCube that's also what I noticed. but on PS2 that can actually slow things down
as soon as I go above 4x resolution in Shadow of Rome the game slows down.

at 4x or below it runs at full speed from every scene I played.

which brings me to your list, edit that Shadow of Rome to 1440p :messenger_downcast_sweat:. at 4k it slows down on Series X in heavy scenes. at 1440p it runs well from what I've played so far. minor texture flicker on Octavianus' face

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
on GameCube that's also what I noticed. but on PS2 that can actually slow things down

which brings me to your list, edit that Shadow of Rome to 1440p :messenger_downcast_sweat:. at 4k it slows down on Series X in heavy scenes. at 1440p it runs well from what I've played so far. minor texture flicker on Octavianus' face

Quality mode 4k 30
Performance mode 1440p 60

Haha 😂 Will do 👍

More testing tomorrow. Going to play the games locally as the PS2 ones won't boot unless their stored on the internal as far as I can tell.

Teslerum

which brings me to your list, edit that Shadow of Rome to 1440p :messenger_downcast_sweat:. at 4k it slows down on Series X in heavy scenes. at 1440p it runs well from what I've played so far.

That's because it's useless on Gamecube. Resolution scaling on Dolphin (and thus the dolphin core) doesn't actually upscale the resolution past your native one. This is why you still have jaggies on Dolphin on high resolution. Apply anti-aliasing instead and keep the internal resolution on something around your native one.

PCSX2 on the other hand will downsample.

Last edited:

Banned
That's because it's useless on Gamecube. Resolution scaling on Dolphin (and thus the dolphin core) doesn't actually upscale the resolution past your native one. This is why you still have jaggies on Dolphin on high resolution. Apply anti-aliasing.

well my native resolution is 4K and I got Sunshine running at a pretty high resolution (can't remember how high I went tho tbh) and the framerate remained stable

which reminds me: Hostile_18 Hostile_18
Mario Sunshine, Series X, 30fps 1080p (very possibly higher, pretty sure I went with 1440p or even higher, but I am not sure about it)
minor loading stutters after some (not all) level transitions and cutscenes

Last edited:

Teslerum

well my native resolution is 4K and I got Sunshine running at a pretty high resolution (can't remember how high I went tho tbh) and the framerate remained stable.

Yes, as I mentioned that is because the dolphin (Gamecube and WII) core doesn't downsample in the first place (so it doesn't really tax the XBOX). So, for better image quality, just set the resolution to 4k (6x Native) and activate MSAA or SSAA. (if that's possible, I don't actually have an XBOX to test).

Further information here

Note: Please remember that internal resolution does not equal SSAA. Dolphin does not have the filtering that SSAA has, so setting the internal resolution well beyond your display's resolution will create more aliasing, not less. For best results, please set the internal resolution to the maximum resolution of your display and then add MSAA or SSAA. You should only go beyond the maximum internal resolution of your display for specific situations, such as reducing fullscreen blur in certain games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom