• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

Calverz

quick question regarding duckstation....i only have one bios in the correct folder, not all of my downloaded games run...i have alot more downloaded ps1 bios....do i need to put them all in the correct folder for all games to work??
Tbh it’s been a while since I set it up. I suggest you watch this:

It’s really worth it. The ultimate way to play ps1 games.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
glad to see it was simply a mistake and will be fixed
Looking at your first post and can see in red where it says the app has now been removed etc. Are there steps in this thread still about how to still get the app without having dev mode? Just so I know what page / post I’m looking at? Thanks.

Looking at your first post and can see in red where it says the app has now been removed etc. Are there steps in this thread still about how to still get the app without having dev mode? Just so I know what page / post I’m looking at? Thanks.

You just need to open this link with edge on your Xbox => "I have removed the link in case of but contact me if you want the link" and click on each app you want to install. It will directly open them in windows/xbox store ;)

edit: I have seen that there are older games converted in xbox app in the link, so I don't know if I can share it directly.

Last edited:

I just saw this on Twitter myself, pretty cool to have some clarification, and hopefully, this will put a lot of folks at ease.

Further clarification:

rAcFAXP.jpg

Last edited:

WoJ

Great news. But I already wiped out my Dev mode setup to free up space on my SSD. Oh well. I'll just have to set it all back up.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
You just need to open this link with edge on your Xbox => "I have removed the link in case of but contact me if you want the link" and click on each app you want to install. It will directly open them in windows/xbox store ;)

edit: I have seen that there are older games converted in xbox app in the link, so I don't know if I can share it directly.
Thank you for this another kind user sent me a pm with the same. Appreciate it.

Banned
so here is a way (from the same guy that previously was among the people that did Whitelist stuff) for now to get Retroarch and other emus without whitelist:

no guarantees on how long these will be up or how frequent they will be put up again (if at all) once they get taken down, but they should still work after Microsoft took them out of the store. they usually do, at least from my experience.

EDIT:
I updated the OP to reflect changes to how to install retroarch and other apps

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
so here is a way (from the same guy that previously was among the people that did Whitelist stuff) for now to get Retroarch and other emus without whitelist:

no guarantees on how long these will be up or how frequent they will be put up again (if at all) once they get taken down, but they should still work after Microsoft took them out of the store. they usually do, at least from my experience.

EDIT:
I updated the OP to reflect changes to how to install retroarch and other apps

Thank you so much for the video and the info. Worked for me last night.

Banned
Thank you so much for the video and the info. Worked for me last night.

I updated the OP as well a but should you need help with the setup and stuff. I added his link to the OP too
there are also videos I linked where people show how to set up different cores in retroarch.

Last edited:

MAtgS

OK, my computer is not doing the FTP thing at all after trying multiple methods, can I just stick some folders on a thumb drive & then stick that in the xbox?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wife the other day: "I want to play the old Gauntlet Seven Sorrows game, it was originally on PS2".

Me: "OK, cool I'm sure I can figure out how to play PS2 games on our modern TV".

(Proceeds to fuck around with hacked PS4 thinking that would be the best way)

(Gives up and loads the PS2 bios files into Retroarch on the Series X)

(Game runs flawlessly)

Banned
OK, my computer is not doing the FTP thing at all after trying multiple methods, can I just stick some folders on a thumb drive & then stick that in the xbox?

what exactly is the issue? I never had an issue with it. what PC FTP client do you use? is your Xbox and PC connected to the same router?

you can theoretically do it using USB but you will need a specific file explorer app on the store, which is a paid app but it has a timed trial version that can be used for a few hours and will then lock you out.
it's called "My Files Explorer" and costs 2.59€ (not sure for international prices)

that is to my knowledge the only file explorer app that has access to the full file structure of the Xbox. other file explorers only give you access to your account's Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures folders,m which doesn't help much if you need to copy over bios files as Retroarch on Xbox doesn't like it if you change the folder locations for bios files (I tried and it had multiple issues)

Last edited:

MAtgS

what exactly is the issue? I never had an issue with it. what PC FTP client do you use? is your Xbox and PC connected to the same router?

you can theoretically do using USB but you will need a specific file explorer app on the store, which is a paid app but it has a timed trial version that can be used for a few hours and will then lock you out.
it's called "My Files Explorer" and costs 2.59€ (not sure for international prices)

that is to my knowledge the only file explorer app that has access to the full file structure of the Xbox. other file explorers only give you access to your account's Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures folders,m which doesn't help much if you need to copy over bios files as Retroarch on Xbox doesn't like it if you change the folder locations for bios files (I tried and it had multiple issues)
Yeah it is the same router. I used the filezilla method on the OP & the method in this vid: & either way it fails to connect.

Banned
Yeah it is the same router. I used the filezilla method on the OP & the method in this vid: & either way it fails to connect.

that is weird 🤔 does your firewall maybe block it? not sure what could be the issue here as I never encountered it...I often use FTP to transfer to my Series X and even og Xbox

MAtgS

that is weird 🤔 does your firewall maybe block it? not sure what could be the issue here as I never encountered it...I often use FTP to transfer to my Series X and even og Xbox
Well after turning off Windows defender it still doesn't work.

Banned

yeah so I just tried connecting using the new Durango FTP app version that is available on his site at the moment, just to check if there is maybe something wrong with it as I had a way older version installed on my Xbox...
but nope, works perfectly

I have Filezilla 3.56.2

DLZCKiS.png

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
I wonder if save states will ever be in PCSX2 on xbox, so used to them it's hard to go back to actual in game saves.

Banned
I just noticed that the downloads do not currently work. seems like Microsoft took them down again (happens all the time)

but the guy running the site usually updates these relatively fast after they got taken down. so if you tried downloading and it doesn't work, give it a few days

UPDATE ON THAT: apparently the downloads still work if you do it directly from your Xbox but the method shown in the OP to do it on PC is currently not working anymore

Last edited:

Crew511A

Is there any kind of size limit on external drives? I've got a 32GB one that works fine, but I'd like to bump it up to 128.

YCoCg

Is there any kind of size limit on external drives? I've got a 32GB one that works fine, but I'd like to bump it up to 128.
4TB I believe.

up to what can series x run at full speed?
As in all out with minimal games having issues, probably Dreamcast. Still early days but got a handful running in higher res and 60fps, probably the PS2.

It all depends on the core development, stand alone emulators perform better (at least in regards to PSP and PS1) but most will be running through RetroArch cores.

stranno

1.10 released.

• UWP/XBOX: Fix content over 4GB (approx) failing to load, improve/speed up copy/load times
  • UWP/XBOX: Fix scanning for playlists
  • UWP/XBOX: Move content copied to LocalState to a dedicated dir and clear on startup
  • UWP/XBOX: Make content copy to a specific cache directory in the LocalState folder when it's copied
  • UWP/XBOX: Auto delete VFS cache dir on startup
  • UWP/XBOX: Make resolution switching automatic and fix angle output issues
  • UWP/XBOX: Force ANGLE to render at 1080p regardless of screensize as the output is 1080p regardless of screensize. This fixes an issue where at 4k any angle output would be zoomed into a corner.
  • UWP/XBOX: Set resolution based on display resolution (auto 4k)
  • UWP/XBOX: Set driver to D3D11 if booting with opengl
  • UWP/XBOX: Reset width and height of output on boot to match display
  • UWP/XBOX: Mitigate need for VFS cores on NTFS drives
  • UWP/XBOX: Make check for standard I/O by access rather than the just assuming based on path string
  • UWP/XBOX: Add code to auto permissions so files can be accessed by non VFS cores (no exFAT or FAT32 support yet)

Crew511A

up to what can series x run at full speed?

It definitely doesn't do Rogue Leader on Game Cube very well as I found out tonight. Not sure if it would run better on SSD instead of USB, but it was intolerable.

Einhander on Playstation seemed no different than I remember it.

Banned
It definitely doesn't do Rogue Leader on Game Cube very well as I found out tonight. Not sure if it would run better on SSD instead of USB, but it was intolerable.

GameCube has shader compilation stutters. the longer you play the better it should run after all the shaders have been compiled and cached.
Rogue Leader is known to have massive shader stutters even on PC, so that is just how that game runs on the Dolphin core.

make sure to enable either "a-sync UberShaders" or "sync UberShaders" (sync is better but more demanding, should be no issue for the SX tho) in the Shader Compilation Mode setting and set "Wait for Shaders before starting" to ON. with that it should run significantly smoother
that compiles shaders way more efficiently and it pre-caches all textures to make loading stutters less common as well

Last edited:

Banned
Cemu is becoming open source this year, this gives hopes for WiiU on Xbox.

does CEMU have a Direct X renderer? because if not it will not be possible. it either needs an older Open GL renderer or at least DX11 to run on Xbox.

the Xbox doesn't even officially support Open GL but it does support old versions of it unofficially. the issue being that it is an old version and I bet CEMU uses a way newer one that isn't supported.

of course someone could make a DX11/DX12 renderer for it, but I don't think the chances for that are all too high

Last edited:

Crew511A

GameCube has shader compilation stutters. the longer you play the better it should run after all the shaders have been compiled and cached.
Rogue Leader is known to have massive shader stutters even on PC, so that is just how that game runs on the Dolphin core.

make sure to enable either "a-sync UberShaders" or "sync UberShaders" (sync is better but more demanding, should be no issue for the SX tho) in the Shader Compilation Mode setting and set "Wait for Shaders before starting" to ON. with that it should run significantly smoother
that compiles shaders way more efficiently and it pre-caches all textures to make loading stutters less common as well

I loaded it up to give it a shot this morning and all I have is audio on Dolphin, no video. It's getting stuck loading, and I've had to reset my console a few times. Seems like my system doesn't like Game Cube.

Teslerum

The Rogue Squadron games the most demanding Gamecube Games there are for emulation. Factor 5 used a plethora of obscure gamecube functions and combined that with going as hacky as possible in terms of code to squeeze all the performance out of the GC they could. Add to that shader compilation.

Last edited:

Banned
I loaded it up to give it a shot this morning and all I have is audio on Dolphin, no video. It's getting stuck loading, and I've had to reset my console a few times. Seems like my system doesn't like Game Cube.

is your Video Driver set to Direct X 12 (D3D12)?
if not try set it to that, if it is D3D12 try a different one.

also try setting up your settings and then close Retroarch using its menu. sometimes it doesn't save if you set up settings and immediately play a game

Last edited:
Top Bottom