• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

Tazzu

Dropping by to ask something. Is it true that you can no longer load a game from external storage? I am thinking of buying a Series S just for RA but it sounds like MS might be closing it up soon.

No no no. That would be illegal to share.
Which retroarch did you download? Hve u watched the videos in op?
Duckstation may crash depending if ur pushing the clock speed of games etc.

IIRC you only need ps2 bios if ur using the white listed retroarch
ive got the latest one from gamr13 link....ive followed the instructions for where to put the games i have and where to put the ps1 and ps2 bios have (which i think maybe the problem) i cant even find the games on duckstation, i dont know if they need to be in a different location for it?

Calverz

ive got the latest one from gamr13 link....ive followed the instructions for where to put the games i have and where to put the ps1 and ps2 bios have (which i think maybe the problem) i cant even find the games on duckstation, i dont know if they need to be in a different location for it?
Ok. It could be that the bios u are using is not for the correct region of the Roms. Possibly. Sometimes it’s trial and error.
As for duckstation, it found my ps1 files no problem. Just where I had them for retroarch. I now purely use duckstation for ps1 now. I highly suggest you watch:

Calverz

Dropping by to ask something. Is it true that you can no longer load a game from external storage? I am thinking of buying a Series S just for RA but it sounds like MS might be closing it up soon.
Not that I’m aware of no. What is RA? The system basically has a limit of loading games of no more than 2gb off external. If the game is more than 2gb, it has to run off internal.

Reatroarch downloads fine from the console but Durango FTP is a no-go (from the same github page), i get a blank MS store page...
is it a server issue ? what to do ?

could be that Microsoft removed it. he usually reuploads the apps after a day or two if that happens.

Thanks man, appreciate it ;)
Neither Durango nor Mc addons manager and ppsspp work, just Retroarch and Duckstation are available to download (without being whitelisted to boot).

i'll check again tomorrow just in case, cheers and thanks for the tutorials and help

Banned
Thanks man, appreciate it ;)
Neither Durango nor Mc addons manager and ppsspp work, just Retroarch and Duckstation are available to download (without being whitelisted to boot).

i'll check again tomorrow just in case, cheers and thanks for the tutorials and help

if you are not whitelisted you will not be able to go onto the store page of an app that needs it.

Did everything correctly.
FTP'd a PS2 game.
Played said game normally for a couple of minutes.
Thought of changing some graphic settings, pressed on "restart" game.
Now, Retroarch locks-up/freezes every couple of seconds (even in-menu/app), i tried restarting my console but same thing happens.

Did i do anything wrong ?

Last edited:

Banned
Did everything correctly.
FTP'd a PS2 game.
Played said game normally for a couple of minutes.
Thought of changing some graphic settings, pressed on "restart" game.
Now, Retroarch locks-up/freezes every couple of seconds (even in-menu/app), i tried restarting my console but same thing happens.

Did i do anything wrong ?

never had this issue. try restoring default configuration in the menu

Any way of playing Wii/PS2 games over 2GB yet? My friend has RetroArch set up in dev mode with every correct. Games under 2GB load just fine. Game files are all on internal.

Silent Hill 2 being the example. Wondering if there are extra settings that need changing? I've seen YouTube videos of people getting them to work.

Last edited:
never had this issue. try restoring default configuration in the menu
Tried it, still the same friend...

Anyway, if i want to nuke EVERYTHING without holding "hostage" a couple of GB's, i should remove the games first and THEN uninstall retroarch ? (judging by your guide).
How to remove the games ? shall i FTP to my xbox, find the game directory/folder and just delete the game ?
As for Retroarch, shall i just uninstall it like a normal xbox app/game ?

Thanks

MrFunSocks

Banned
If Microsoft were going to shut this down they would have done it months ago. Genuinely one of the best features of series s/x alone. It’s not to be underestimated.
They do shut it down. They've killed it a number of times but the people just keep re-uploading new ones and whitelisting people as testers again.

Tschumi

This is probably out of date but a few of the things in your op are superfluous now,i think..

I think the best step is to just have a link to their discord lol, they're super helpful and all the relevant guides are there

CHDMAN is a good program to compress your PS2 games to make them a better size, some games compress better than others though. Also works for other systems like GameCube. Need to add .chd to your manual scan extensions list, remember...

The latest versions of things often don't work, the latest pcxs2 for example, and you can very easily put the data in the wrong folder and "brick" your dev kit if you follow YouTube tutorials...

.. i heartily recommend the discord, again.

Banned
They do shut it down. They've killed it a number of times but the people just keep re-uploading new ones and whitelisting people as testers again.

they could easily limit that way more than they currently do. I bet they just let it slide to some degree because they know that this literally keeps the system from being jailbroken, because emulation and homebrew are the #1 reason why hacker groups jailbreak systems.

the dev mode and this both help the system be safe from that

Tschumi

they could easily limit that way more than they currently do. I bet they just let it slide to some degree because they know that this literally keeps the system from being jailbroken, because emulation and homebrew are the #1 reason why hacker groups jailbreak systems.

the dev mode and this both help the system be safe from that
It's certainly an anti jailbreaking edge, though ps4 and switch aren't jailbroken because hackers know these consoles are still a going concern for their producers and will be defended a lot more intensely than Vita, n3ds or wiiU, say...

I also think they know it's a genuine, unambiguous edge over PlayStation, and they'll take all the help they can get

Last edited:

Teslerum

This is probably out of date but a few of the things in your op are superfluous now,i think..

I think the best step is to just have a link to their discord lol, they're super helpful and all the relevant guides are there

CHDMAN is a good program to compress your PS2 games to make them a better size, some games compress better than others though. Also works for other systems like GameCube. Need to add .chd to your manual scan extensions list, remember...

The latest versions of things often don't work, the latest pcxs2 for example, and you can very easily put the data in the wrong folder and "brick" your dev kit if you follow YouTube tutorials...

.. i heartily recommend the discord, again.
No, that shouldn't be possible. Dolphin and the Retroarch Dolphin core don't have CHD support. It does have its own compression format called .rvz (Which is specific to Gamecube/WII images and works the best). To compress into that format just download a recent version of Dolphin on PC and you can do so within its UI by right-clicking.

Last edited:
So, i'm going for the "scorched earth" scenario and i need to remove EVERYTHING Retroarch/pcsx2 related from my series X using Durango FTP. I will remove my PS2 Roms first, and THEN uninstall normally Retroarch from my console, correct ?
What about the savestates/mem cards though ? Do i have to also remove them/delete them via FTP or will they be deleted when i uninstall Retroarch from my console ? same thing with the thumbnails, what about them ? Cheers !

TLDNR : what should be removed manually (via FTP) before i uninstall Retroarch from my console ?

That is just data saved on retroarch's side. Don't worry about it, the iso itself should be gone.
Thanks for the swift reply man, appreciate it !
I'm OCD'ing about leaving anything on the console and therefore losing HDD space permanently... I'd hate to resort to formatting my XSX's drive.
What about the PS2 bios's ? Will they get removed by uninstalling retroarch or do I have to delete them via FTP myself?
Thanks again !

jaysius

Banned
Back a year ago I was getting annoying Stuttering that happened periodically on SMG1 and 2, and nobody knew how to fix it, I have a Series X, has anything gotten any better? I tried downclocking in the settings and then some different shader options and other stuff, none of it stopped the seemingly random(even happens when there isn't action on the screen) stuttering.

Welp, I've deleted/uninstalled everything from my XSX but when I open Durango FTP it says "local appdata storage : 28.8 GB of 30 GB are free" - did I just lose 1.2 GB of SSD space because I didn't uninstall something properly ?

Antwix

I don't know what happened to my previous install of retroarch (it was the Retroarch69 build since I'm not using dev mode) but I was having audio crackling with every core as well as minor performance issues. I didn't recall this happening when I first installed and set it up (maybe im wrong) but it was extremely distracting. Anyways, I uninstalled that and installed the whitelist build and everything is absolutely perfect. Great sound, great performance.

I use a usb thumb drive for almost everything

Last edited:

Banned

no, that info maybe comes from people trying to load big 2+GB ISO files from USB. everything above 2GB does not work from USB, so PS2 games will need to be inside your retroarch folder

Last edited:
Gents, sorry for bustin' balls but but i have to ask again since i'm one step away from formatting/resetting my XSX :
I've deleted/uninstalled everything from my XSX but when I open Durango FTP it says "local appdata storage : 28.8 GB of 30 GB are free" - did I just lose 1.2 GB of SSD space because I didn't uninstall something properly ?
I made sure to erase/delete my only CHD file/game first via FTP and then i uninstalled normally Retroarch from my XSX.

Can't find anything online regarding this (i.e: if all 30GB's of available storage should be free).

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Banned
Gents, sorry for bustin' balls but but i have to ask again since i'm one step away from formatting/resetting my XSX :
I've deleted/uninstalled everything from my XSX but when I open Durango FTP it says "local appdata storage : 28.8 GB of 30 GB are free" - did I just lose 1.2 GB of SSD space because I didn't uninstall something properly ?
I made sure to erase/delete my only CHD file/game first via FTP and then i uninstalled normally Retroarch from my XSX.

Can't find anything online regarding this (i.e: if all 30GB's of available storage should be free).

Thanks in advance

I'll look real fast what it says for me

edit: I can't find any appdata size displayed anywhere when using FTP. where do you see that? (screenshot?)

edit2: also was it different when you first used that SSD on your XBOX? because I could totally see the Xbox needing to place specific files on that SSD, maybe even reserve space as an install buffer should you download an app or a game onto it. because data needs to be decompressed and then moved to the install folder.

Last edited:
I'll look real fast what it says for me

edit: I can't find any appdata size displayed anywhere when using FTP. where do you see that? (screenshot?)

edit2: also was it different when you first used that SSD on your XBOX? because I could totally see the Xbox needing to place specific files on that SSD, maybe even reserve space as an install buffer should you download an app or a game onto it. because data needs to be decompressed and then moved to the install folder.

It shows up when i open the Durango FTP app. Can't remember what the available size was before i started the whole procedure of installing Retroarch on my XSX.

Regarding your 2nd edit : You mean that it's normal that it shows 28.8 out of 30GB's available or that i lost permanently that space available (1.2GB) ?

G'dammit, i don't want to format my XSX !

Thanks for the help man ;)

Banned
It shows up when i open the Durango FTP app. Can't remember what the available size was before i started the whole procedure of installing Retroarch on my XSX.

Regarding your 2nd edit : You mean that it's normal that it shows 28.8 out of 30GB's available or that i lost permanently that space available (1.2GB) ?

G'dammit, i don't want to format my XSX !

Thanks for the help man ;)

do you use that 30GB SSD as a formatted XBox storage device? if yes then I would assume the Xbox needs a buffer on said SSD in order to install games on it.
games you download get decompressed while downloading/installing. that decompression needs a buffer on your drive where it temporarily places the files until they get copied over to the install folder of the game.

the PS4 and PS5 are way more extreme in that regard, they straight up require you to often have u to 100% of the install size of a game of free space in addition to the space the game already needs, because the PS4 first nearly completely decompresses the files before it moves them to the install folder, and will take up space that is marked as free while doing so.
a 60GB game would then need 90GB or even more of free space just to install.

the XBox consoles handle this differently. they decompress in small chunks and immediately move the files over to the install folder. this is why you often see comparisons of the "requirements" on the store or the back of the box where on xbox it will say 50GB required and on PS4 it will say 90GB required, even tho it's the same game and uses almost the same amount of space once installed

so TL;DR I think it is possible that as soon as you format a drive for use on an Xbox, that it reserves a chunk of it for stuff like install buffer and maybe other needed files

Last edited:
do you use that 30GB SSD as a formatted XBox storage device? if yes then I would assume the Xbox needs a buffer on said SSD in order to install games on it.
games you download get decompressed while downloading/installing. that decompression needs a buffer on your drive where it temporarily places the files until they get copied over to the install folder of the game.

the PS4 and PS5 are way more extreme in that regard, they straight up require you to often have u to 100% of the install size of a game of free space in addition to the space the game already needs, because the PS4 first nearly completely decompresses the files before it moves them to the install folder, and will take up space that is marked as free while doing so.
a 60GB game would then need 90GB or even more of free space just to install.

the XBox consoles handle this differently. they decompress in small chunks and immediately move the files over to the install folder. this is why you often see comparisons of the "requirements" on the store or the back of the box where on xbox it will say 50GB required and on PS4 it will say 90GB required, even tho it's the same game and uses almost the same amount of space once installed

so TL;DR I think it is possible that as soon as you format a drive for use on an Xbox, that it reserves a chunk of it for stuff like install buffer and maybe other needed files
Much appreciated.
This is regarding the internal SSD of the XSX though - that's where i installed everything

Banned
It's the allocated space available - 30 GB's for series consoles, 16 GB's available for One consoles

I am getting more confused by the minute. are you talking about the retroarch folder specifically?

the version of Durango FTP I have installed does not show any storage or file sizes. so I really can't follow where you get these numbers from. maybe my version is a bit outdated or something.

I know there is a limited file size for the app folder of Retroarch, but I could not find a way to actually see that size in any app yet.

edit: also are you on retail or dev mode?

Last edited:
I am getting more confused by the minute. are you talking about the retroarch folder specifically?

the version of Durango FTP I have installed does not show any storage or file sizes. so I really can't follow where you get these numbers from. maybe my version is a bit outdated or something.

I know there is a limited file size for the app folder of Retroarch, but I could not find a way to actually see that size in any app yet.

edit: also are you on retail or dev mode?

Newer version of durango ftp show the available local appdata storage in the upper-right part of the screen.
I was on retail mode.

I tried to give emulation a go yesterday basically and downloaded everything through gamr13's site that you access from your xbox (retroarch and durango FTP).
Today i decided to uninstall everything as i'm too old for this shit (RA crashing, visual/audio glitches in games, constant restaring upon changing options up in PS2 games etc - i really can't be arsed with it).
- 1st thing i did was removing/deleting the PS2 CHD/game trough FTP from my win10 PC.
- Then, i uninstalled Retroarch from my XSX normally (like you do with all games and apps on the console).
- Upon doing all of the above, i opened the Durango FTP on my XSX and saw the "local appdata storage : 28.8 GB of 30 GB are free"

Banned
Newer version of durango ftp show the available local appdata storage in the upper-right part of the screen.
I was on retail mode.

I tried to give emulation a go yesterday basically and downloaded everything through gamr13's site that you access from your xbox (retroarch and durango FTP).
Today i decided to uninstall everything as i'm too old for this shit (RA crashing, visual/audio glitches in games, constant restaring upon changing options up in PS2 games etc - i really can't be arsed with it).
- 1st thing i did was removing/deleting the PS2 CHD/game trough FTP from my win10 PC.
- Then, i uninstalled Retroarch from my XSX normally (like you do with all games and apps on the console).
- Upon doing all of the above, i opened the Durango FTP on my XSX and saw the "local appdata storage : 28.8 GB of 30 GB are free"

that is weird indeed. I never wen't through what you did so I can't really say anything in that regard. maybe asking on the discord server would help?

Teslerum

And yet, all my ps2 games are compressed with CHDMAN and work fine.

Would you like to come sit on my couch, watch them play, and say "no, this shouldn't be possible"?
Yes, PCSX2 implemented CHD's early this year. I talked about your claim that the same applies to Gamecube and highlighted that part in your post.

Dolphin (Gamecube and WII) hasn't and isn't interested to do so (Because there's no advantage compared to their own format). Same with PPSSPP (PSP) where the best choice is CSO.

- Roms = Compress with 7zip (Retroarch automatically decompresses them itself. Though not completely sure if that applies on XBOX)
- Everything CD based up to to PS1 = CHD
- PS2 = CHD
- Gamecube/WII = RVZ
- PSP = CSO

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
Hey guys, some questions

What is the output resolution of PS2 and GameCube games ?

I have a rather extensive setup for GC/PS2/Xbox

PS2/GC Component - ---> OSSC or Framemeister ----> mClassic ---> TV

that is weird indeed. I never wen't through what you did so I can't really say anything in that regard. maybe asking on the discord server would help?

So, i formatted my XSX, opened Durango FTP and...i got my GB back ? (29.8 GB of 30 GB instead of 28.8 GB of 30 GB).
Fuck knows what's happening /happened with retroarch man, it either holds some MB's/GB's "hostage" even after uninstalling everything or...i really don't know ;)

Thanks for all the help brother, you're a gent, cheers

quick question regarding duckstation....i only have one bios in the correct folder, not all of my downloaded games run...i have alot more downloaded ps1 bios....do i need to put them all in the correct folder for all games to work??

Top Bottom