• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

Banned
How is this compared to the old Retroarch version that was put up around X|S launch?
No idea if it’s a game or app

the guy who whitelisted people back then stopped updating the builds, this means the whitelisted version from back then is stuck at Retroarch version 1.9.0

the build in the link in the OP is 1.9.5

it's not certain that whoever uploaded that version will ever patch it but it is an upgrade for people who used the original whitelisted version (which isn't even downloadable anymore either btw, even if you are whitelisted)

Banned
Regarding the video guide for the FTP client. On my PC with Flash FXP I click on quick connect. And while I'm connected to my Series X, I cannot seem to find the Retrospective file. I do have retroarch downloaded and I've updated everything.

the video tutorial is using the old whitelisted version, which was called Retrospection.
on your end the app should be called Retroarch69+ and them some numbers after it

TwoHearted

Neo Member
the video tutorial is using the old whitelisted version, which was called Retrospection.
on your end the app should be called Retroarch69+ and them some numbers after it
Nothing concerning retroarch can be found in the Xbox files. Btw, you guide was really easy to follow to get retroarch on the system! So thank you for that! Now if I could figure out this FTP transfer for my Bios!

Fredrik

the guy who whitelisted people back then stopped updating the builds, this means the whitelisted version from back then is stuck at Retroarch version 1.9.0

the build in the link in the OP is 1.9.5

it's not certain that whoever uploaded that version will ever patch it but it is an upgrade for people who used the original whitelisted version (which isn't even downloadable anymore either btw, even if you are whitelisted)
Thanks, I have the older version, works well enough from what I’ve seen but it sounds like I should try this 👍

Banned
Nothing concerning retroarch can be found in the Xbox files. Btw, you guide was really easy to follow to get retroarch on the system! So thank you for that! Now if I could figure out this FTP transfer for my Bios!

maybe link a screenshot of how your Game folders look like on your end.

I have to say I have not yet fully set up the new version as I already have an older version installed. so I have no idea what the folder is called.

worst case, go through every game folder until you find the right one 🙃

TwoHearted

Neo Member
maybe link a screenshot of how your Game folders look like on your end.

I have to say I have not yet fully set up the new version as I already have an older version installed. so I have no idea what the folder is called.

worst case, go through every game folder until you find the right one 🙃
Lol! Reporting back, just went through every folder...Nothing :messenger_confused:. Is there a different way to transfer Bios?

Banned
Lol! Reporting back, just went through every folder...Nothing :messenger_confused:. Is there a different way to transfer Bios?

well, not if you don't find your retroarch system folder no.

there is an app in the store that's called "My Files Explorer" which costs about 3 bucks. it has a free trial tho, maybe you'll find your folder with that one?

did you boot retroarch at least once and did all the updating? that is important

I will personally look into it later and set up this new version on my end, I might write a detailed tutorial on how to find the folder myself if needed

EDIT: btw. depending on which Xbox you are on the game folders will be on different drive letters. so on one Xbox model it will be U:\ on another it might be Q:\

I think I really need to write some additional advice for this later

edit2: a good way to find the EXACT path is to start Retroarch, go to "Load Content" and then in the menu with all the drive letters you will usually find the exact path to the default rom folder on the very bottom

screenshot_20210712-273jmp.jpg

see that U:\Users... path at the bottom there? if you go to load Content you should see a very similar path there that's specific to your profile, console and Retroarch version,
use that as a guide to find the folder in your FTP client

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Just wanted to say thanks as this post was amazing and even though I hate tinkering with shit I was able to set up everything easily.

Are you supposed to scan new roms you dropped in the folder each time you add new stuff? I'm trying to add GC roms and the scanning process seems either very long or stuck.

Antwix

Retroarch is on Xbox One/Series X|S for a while now. And you might have heard you can use it in Developer Mode (which costs 20€/$) or you can get whitelisted to use it in "Retail" (normal) mode

Well now you don't need either it seems... at least for now (who knows if MS will remove the app) so get it fast!

STEP ZERO

if you have downloaded this version before:
Called "QZARCH-[XS]" you might run into performance issues!!! this is because that upload is categorized as "App" which means it gets treated like
your standard Youtube or Netflix app on your system. These Apps do not have the full hardware power of your Xbox available to them!!!
MAKE SURE the version you have is found in your "Games" library not your "Apps" library!

So before you set it all up and have to to it all over again, uninstall the "QZARCH-[XS]" app and download the verison of Retroarch I am linking in Step 1
that version is categorized as "Game" and therefore has access to the full hardware power of your Xbox!

Great news. Had the App version for a while but I never really wanted to do the dev mode setup. Looking forward to some better performance.

Banned
Just wanted to say thanks as this post was amazing and even though I hate tinkering with shit I was able to set up everything easily.

Are you supposed to scan new roms you dropped in the folder each time you add new stuff? I'm trying to add GC roms and the scanning process seems either very long or stuck.

are you doing it correctly? because it should be pretty fast if your library isn't super big.

and yes you should scan each time and tick the "overwrite" box to overwite existing lists

RobRSG

Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou with Run Ahead runs very nice. This has the potential to become my go to arcade emulator.

Banned
I added a new FTP Bios transfer turial that I threw together real fast

you can find it in the OP at the bottom in the "Spoiler" tab called HOW TO TRANSFER FILES FROM PC!!! (UPDATED)
or click the spoiler below

ftptutotial1-biostikck.png

Is there an FTP you can use to transfer files downloaded on a phone.

I sold my 980ti GPU as I havnt used my PC for gaming in ages and I stupidly forgot my Motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics. Doesn't have Hdmi out or anything! Doh

Last edited:

Banned
Is there an FTP you can use to transfer files downloaded on a phone.

I sold my 980ti GPU as I havnt used my PC for gaming in ages and I stupidly forgot my Motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics. Doesn't have Hdmi out or anything! Doh

you should be able to use an FTP app on your phone yes. the FTP app that you find in the OP is meant to be used on your XBOX, that app is used to actually connect your Xbox to whatever device you use your FTP Client with.
I personally have never used a mobile FTP app, but in theory it's not different from a PC FTP client I guess... I bet it's way more annoying to do tho.

Sidenote, I also added a tutorial on where to store your games internally and how to get there

you should be able to use an FTP app on your phone yes. the FTP app that you find in the OP is meant to be used on your XBOX, that app is used to actually connect your Xbox to whatever device you use your FTP Client with.
I personally have never used a mobile FTP app, but in theory it's not different from a PC FTP client I guess... I bet it's way more annoying to do tho.

Sidenote, I also added a tutorial on where to store your games internally and how to get there

Thanks mate. I'll try and give it a whirl.

Is this retroarch different from the one you have to pay for/use in Dev mode?

Banned
How good does this run ps2 and dreamcast game?

depends on your Console
one Xbox One/One S/One X Dreamcast is absolutely playable. some more complex games might have slowdown but I personally tested Marvel vs Capcom 2 on a friend's Xbox One as I set his one up, and it ran perfectly.
on Series S and Series X Dreamcast should run pretty much perfectly, outside of some emulation issues that will crop up that are due to the emulator

PS2 will run like ass on Xbox One (doesn't matter which one, although the One X has a slightly faster CPU... so it will run better there)
you can play very light games on there like maybe Persona 4 or something.
On Series S and Series X PS2 runs very much perfectly IF THE GAME RUNS! this part is important. the PCSX2 core included here is very much work in progress and PS2 emulation in general is far from polished
You will be able to run many popular games and some less popular ones. God of War should work, I personally played Shadow of Rome and God Hand on it and they worked well too (some minor glitches in textures here and there)

I linked a channel and a video on some more complicated setups in the OP. PS2 will need some settings tweaks :)

Banned
Thanks mate. I'll try and give it a whirl.

Is this retroarch different from the one you have to pay for/use in Dev mode?

not really. in Dev mode you have the freedom to basically update it yourself whenever a new version releases, and you can update cores yourself. the retail version is 100% dependent on the uploader. so if whoever uploaded this particular version doesn't update it it will be stuck in this current version (which runs very well tho)

functionally the differences are very minimal. all that happened here is that someone got this somehow to be on the Windows Store, but it is basically the same

Banned
How about Saturn? I got series X

look in the original post on this thread, at the bottom are multiple spoiler tabs. there is a Saturn guide there with some gameplay of Tomb Raider for example.
I personally have never tired Saturn but it looks promising from that video

Last edited:
look in the original post on this thread, at the bottom are multiple spoiler tabs. there is a Saturn guide there with some gameplay of Tomb Raider for example.
I personally have never tired Saturn but it looks promising from that video
I try loading dragon force 1 and 2 and they run fine. Then again they are 2d games.

I try running psx game using beetle core but it stucknat black screen. Change to rearm and ti work.

depends on your Console
one Xbox One/One S/One X Dreamcast is absolutely playable. some more complex games might have slowdown but I personally tested Marvel vs Capcom 2 on a friend's Xbox One as I set his one up, and it ran perfectly.
on Series S and Series X Dreamcast should run pretty much perfectly, outside of some emulation issues that will crop up that are due to the emulator

PS2 will run like ass on Xbox One (doesn't matter which one, although the One X has a slightly faster CPU... so it will run better there)
you can play very light games on there like maybe Persona 4 or something.
On Series S and Series X PS2 runs very much perfectly IF THE GAME RUNS! this part is important. the PCSX2 core included here is very much work in progress and PS2 emulation in general is far from polished
You will be able to run many popular games and some less popular ones. God of War should work, I personally played Shadow of Rome and God Hand on it and they worked well too (some minor glitches in textures here and there)

I linked a channel and a video on some more complicated setups in the OP. PS2 will need some settings tweaks :)
I am going to try running phantasy star generation 1 and 2 on it lol

Hoddi

Any word on resolution support? One of the greatest things about Dolphin and Cemu is that they allow you to run Nintendo games at higher resolutions. Most of the videos I've seen on the Xbox only seem to run them at native res.

You don't exactly need a strong GPU to run Wii games at 4k. Even the Series S might be able to manage full 8k in these games because they're so light-weight. I've been mulling over getting one and emulation might well push me over.

Last edited:

Esppiral

Any word on resolution support? One of the greatest things about Dolphin and Cemu is that they allow you to run Nintendo games at higher resolutions. Most of the videos I've seen on the Xbox only seem to run them at native res.

You don't exactly need a strong GPU to run Wii games at 4k. Even the Series S might be able to manage full 8k in these games because they're so light-weight. I've been mulling over getting one and emulation might well push me over.
Most of the videos are from people that don't know how to set up Retroarch property, you can play GameCube and Wii games at 4k with no problems

Anki

Banned
Got it running. There are two thing I cannot figure out.
1. How do i exit game?
2. I cannot find how to turn on shaders on any game.

I ddin't use FTP method, I just pluged in external HDD and loaded the roms from there.

Trying to get this set up without a PC. It's really hard lol.

I have a bios file that I've managed to transfer using an FTP. I heard it was easier to transfer via onedrive app on Xbox but I can't see a download option.

Also do I need a completely seperate drive or can I store games on my external drive I'm already using for the XB One games.

Edit: Nevermind. I just FTP'd it..... I'm getting audio on Mario Sunshine but no video.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Trying to get this set up without a PC. It's really hard lol.

I have a bios file that I've managed to transfer using an FTP. I heard it was easier to transfer via onedrive app on Xbox but I can't see a download option.

Also do I need a completely seperate drive or can I store games on my external drive I'm already using for the XB One games.

Edit: Nevermind. I just FTP'd it..... I'm getting audio on Mario Sunshine but no video.
You probably have the video driver set to GL instead of d3d11 or 12

You probably have the video driver set to GL instead of d3d11 or 12
Thanks. I just picked this up on the tutorial. I was hoping I could change the resolution. I don't seem to have the 'manage core options' he has in the quick menu. Does this version have this?

Last edited:

oldergamer

well, not if you don't find your retroarch system folder no.

there is an app in the store that's called "My Files Explorer" which costs about 3 bucks. it has a free trial tho, maybe you'll find your folder with that one?

did you boot retroarch at least once and did all the updating? that is important

I will personally look into it later and set up this new version on my end, I might write a detailed tutorial on how to find the folder myself if needed

EDIT: btw. depending on which Xbox you are on the game folders will be on different drive letters. so on one Xbox model it will be U:\ on another it might be Q:\

I think I really need to write some additional advice for this later

edit2: a good way to find the EXACT path is to start Retroarch, go to "Load Content" and then in the menu with all the drive letters you will usually find the exact path to the default rom folder on the very bottom

screenshot_20210712-273jmp.jpg

see that U:\Users... path at the bottom there? if you go to load Content you should see a very similar path there that's specific to your profile, console and Retroarch version,
use that as a guide to find the folder in your FTP client
i'm still not seeing a place to put the core files. That's really the only thing I would want to FTP

Banned
Got it running. There are two thing I cannot figure out.
1. How do i exit game?
2. I cannot find how to turn on shaders on any game.

I ddin't use FTP method, I just pluged in external HDD and loaded the roms from there.
exiting games only works if you configure a button combination to bring up the quick menu of Retroarch.

you can do that in the input settings. I'd recommend something like Select + Down

Settings > Input > Hotkeys > Menu Toggle Controller Combo

beware while going into the Input settings! do never ever change you input controller! (Port 1 Controls, Port 2 Controls etc.) that could render Retroarch unusable and can only be fixed by a reinstall or plugin in a keyboard to undo tge mistake. so just be safe

also, using USB only is no issue for some games. but as soon as you olay something that needs a Bios file you will need to get into your "System" folder. the easiest way to do that is with an FTP client

Thanks. I just picked this up on the tutorial. I was hoping I could change the resolution. I don't seem to have the 'manage core options' he has in the quick menu. Does this version have this?

you don't change the resolution in the core options. you start a game, open the quick menu (see above) and there go "Options"
you can save what you change therr for the whole core (or for the game)

Last edited:

M16

just tried quickly the 3 versions on some n64 games(on OG phat xbox one).
qzarch retail: garbled graphics
retroarch69+ retail: game works perfectly, but after applying shaders , they dont take effect
retroarch dev mode: everything works perfectly

Last edited:

Banned
RPCS3 is sadly written in Vulkan, not in Direct X. So if someone don't step in and change it to the Direct X, than it's not going to happened.

RPCS3 also has an Open GL renderer, but sadly the Xbox doesn't support Open GL 4.6 it seems, or at least features needed for RPCS3 to run.

Banned
just tried quickly the 3 versions on some n64 games(on OG phat xbox one).
qzarch retail: garbled graphics
retroarch69+ retail: game works perfectly, but after applying shaders , they dont take effect
retroarch dev mode: everything works perfectly

maybe try different APIs? OpenGL, DC11, DX12 on retail.

but yeah that app version (QZARK) is useless. apps have not even remotely enough hardware power at their disposal to be useful for emulation outside of maybe NES and stuff like that.
it's vital for it to be categorised as a game

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
RPCS3 also has an Open GL renderer, but sadly the Xbox doesn't support Open GL 4.6 it seems, or at least features needed for RPCS3 to run.
Yeah well Vulkan is kind of that, it's just a continuation of OpenGL. Whole library would have to be incl...no that's bullshit what I am saying now....you simply cannot run that on Xbox even if it is compiled, since the system dictates what you can or cannot call to GPU...

SpiceRacz

I was transferring games through FileZilla last night and it was indicating that there wasn't enough space. My Series X has roughly 300gb of free space. I'm confused as fuck.

Top Bottom