• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro FPS Renaissance

Your favourite throwback shooter so far?

• Ion Fury

Votes: 86 38.4%
  • Amid Evil

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Dusk

Votes: 58 25.9%
  • Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Prodeus

Votes: 52 23.2%

• Total voters

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
IMO, the cream of the crop right now when it comes to throwback fps'.

My favorites that I own (have played a few more but not put the same kind of time into)

1. DUSK
2. WRATH Aeon of Ruin - I know this is early access but what is there is so good, and is my #2.
3. Project Warlock - Just really enjoyed the gameplay of this one.
4. AMID EVIL - Very solid, beautiful game, crazy art direction.
5. Ion Fury - Looks insane for a build engine game. Overstays it's welcome, but still a good purchase and easily worth it's asking price.
6. STRAFE - One of the first of these throwback / retro shooters to come out. It was ok.

I have played Nightmare Reaper and it's very solid with great gunplay and neat graphics but haven't played enough to form a valid opinion. I've played a bit of Hedon and it was really interesting. I think you can get it for free or you can buy a better? version on steam. I didn't like the Hellbound demo. I plan to dive into Overload when the time is right.
I want to know what the fuck is taking this game so goddamn long. This is what pisses me off about so many of these retro games. They get stuck and just sort of stop.

For example, where the fuck is Kingpin Remastered. That was announced back in 2019 or so and not a peep. Sounded so promising....ugh.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
So I just played Ion Fury a few days ago...

I know that "boomer shooters" have their fans... But one of the main problems with the subgenre is that there's no real narrative for why you're having to go around and shoot things. I think that's why games like Half Life were such a breath of fresh air, in that they had solid campaigns.

I wish someone took the "boomer shooter" aesthetic, and wrapped it around a "new shooter" core shell.

With this in mind, a game like Half Life with retro graphics would be super cool.
That's how I like them. I don't need a narrative to shoot things:) Give me cool guns and that's all I need.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

I know that "boomer shooters" have their fans... But one of the main problems with the subgenre is that there's no real narrative for why you're having to go around and shoot things. I think that's why games like Half Life were such a breath of fresh air, in that they had solid campaigns.

I wish someone took the "boomer shooter" aesthetic, and wrapped it around a "new shooter" core shell.

With this in mind, a game like Half Life with retro graphics would be super cool.
Is that actually needed? Like all I need is some cool setting and backstory, and that's something that can be settled even before the game starts so with that you get your motivation to shoot and kil things, without the gameplay getting interrupted in favor of the narrative.

I get your point, and I like games like Half-Life a lot, but I think that kinda games and boomer shooters as we know them are two completely different beasts.

VN1X

Banned
Selw

Selaco comes to mind with regards to a lot of story/lore sprinkled throughout the environment and via more direct ways of PDA's and stuff.

drotahorror

I want to know what the fuck is taking this game so goddamn long. This is what pisses me off about so many of these retro games. They get stuck and just sort of stop.

They do put out dev logs bi-weekly.

Their latest:

Greetings everyone!

It's time for a WRATH development update! Here is a short summary of what we have been working on during the past two weeks:

- More Episode 2 textures added
- Concepted and modeling E3 breakable props
- Gameplaying testing some E2 and E3 levels

Pictured: Texturing Episode 2

....So yeah, not much info still hah.

Shtef

Started playing powerslave, its such an amazing game.
After that i dont know what to play, evsrything is still in early access.
I have finished ion fury, dusk and amid evil. Am i missing something?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

If you’re on PC then you’re missing Turbo Overkill, and Ultrakill. Prodeus is also pretty badass.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Been trying out the demo for Selaco. Pretty cool game! Love the mix of DOOM and FEAR.

That said... is there something going on with the optimization of the game? Or is my PC acting up? I got 144fps most of the time, but those went down for just a bit just before explosions and things like that.

Shtef

I noticed the same thing, game is running smoothly 144hz but when shooting and explosion start its stuttering for some reason.

TintoConCasera

I noticed the same thing, game is running smoothly 144hz but when shooting and explosion start its stuttering for some reason.
Glad to know it isn't just me. Must be some engine thing, hope they can optimize it before release.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They are all in early access. Prodeus is really good though.

Ah gotcha. Early access doesn’t bother me, so I didn’t think to mention it. Keep an eye on them.

Another shooter that I’ve been having a blast with is Into The Pit, which is published by Humble. I picked a key up from CDkeys for under $4. It was on PC Game Pass as well if you have that.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I'm playing Nightmare Reaper lately. It's so good. One of the best games I've played in this genre so far. Lots of cool guns/staffs/swords/grenades/bows etc. It needs SSD though(works on HDD too but with stutters).

Apocryphon

I'm playing Nightmare Reaper lately. It's so good. One of the best games I've played in this genre so far. Lots of cool guns/staffs/swords/grenades/bows etc. It needs SSD though(works on HDD too but with stutters).
Civvie's video sold me on Nightmare Reaper.

Ion Fury, Amid Evil and Prodeus are all outstanding. I'm glad this resurgence is happening now, particularly since I bought a Steam Deck. My installed game list is literally a retro FPS orgy atm.

drotahorror

Been trying out the demo for Selaco. Pretty cool game! Love the mix of DOOM and FEAR.

That said... is there something going on with the optimization of the game? Or is my PC acting up? I got 144fps most of the time, but those went down for just a bit just before explosions and things like that.

There's 3 options when starting. Did you try Vulkan/Open GL?

Greatly appreciate this thread. Ive added around 30 games to my wishlist. Gonna get them next steam sale.
Last sale I got a lot of older games between '96 and '10. PC had some exclusives back then that were amazing. Stuff like System Shock 2, Vampire Masquerade, Thief.
Now that Ive finished collecting the older games I got my eyes on indie titles.
Would like to see indie devs tackle survival horror (like re4) and immersive sims more.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Just finished Postal Brain Damage. It was fucking awesome. The first levels are a bit meh but the final chapter and its levels are top tier stuff. One of the best boomer shooters, no, one of THE best first person shooters overall tbh. Gave me huge Painkiller/Doom vibes. Great music too.

Bragr

Banned
Is it time for more novel ideas in this genre?

There are a lot of retro shooters now and I think we are starting to approach the part where being "retro" isn't enough, we need new ideas cranked into the genre, and I'm not sure if new enemies and weapons are enough anymore.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

There are a lot of retro shooters now and I think we are starting to approach the part where being "retro" isn't enough, we need new ideas cranked into the genre, and I'm not sure if new enemies and weapons are enough anymore.

I wouldnt mind more immersive boomer shooters, stealth, multiple paths, etc. but indie devs are not quite adept at making decet/good AI for stealth mechanics.

That being said, excited about

Apocryphon

You're not wrong, but the good thing about having this level of saturation is that we are far more likely to see innovation, even if you have to sort though the chaff to find it. Nightmare Reaper is one such game for example.

Last edited:

Uiki

After 20 years of crappy linear shooters?

No thanks, I'll take 20 years of "retro" shooters.

Guilty_AI

I've decided to play through Herectic, but i'll use the GZDoom mod and there are some things i want to know so i don't commit the same mistakes i did during my DOOM playthrough.

Does the original game have jumping mechanics?
Does the original game have crouching mechanics?
Does the original game have a sprint button?

Apocryphon

I've decided to play through Herectic, but i'll use the GZDoom mod and there are some things i want to know so i don't commit the same mistakes i did during my DOOM playthrough.

No to all three bru.

Shifty

Nice, Heretic is a fun time. Always enjoyed the weapon set.

Beware of the ghost variants of regular enemies. They're immune to half your weapons and have some really wonky RNG damage on some of their attacks, so it pays to figure them out quick.

No. Though it does have a jetpack-like inventory item for verticality.

No. As far as I know that's a source port feature that wasn't in any of the original Doom engine games.

Not sprint in the COD sense in case that's a thing now, but the run button / run toggle was always a thing iirc.

Guilty_AI

Not sprint in the COD sense in case that's a thing now, but the run button / run toggle was always a thing iirc.
Yes, not in the COD sense where you get tired. I'm watching a guy playing through a level in the original game and yes, it does seem to have the run button i was talking about.
I'm mostly trying to avoid mechanics introduced in the source ports that might break the levels, happened when i played DOOM and the fact the original game didn't have jump slipped my mind, ended up i was able to break some levels and access secrets and progress the wrong way sometimes.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Yes, not in the COD sense where you get tired. I'm watching a guy playing through a level in the original game and yes, it does seem to have the run button i was talking about.
I'm mostly trying to avoid mechanics introduced in the source ports that might break the levels, happened when i played DOOM and the fact the original game didn't have jump slipped my mind, ended up i was able to break some levels and access secrets and progress the wrong way sometimes.
I take it back. I thought it was just an autorun toggle in the menu. My bad.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sadly it's not a surprise. The demo was hot trash.

There's better retro shooters out there, moving on, nothing to see here.

I’m going to see what GmanLives says, but it looked like a dollar store Doom knockoff from what I saw.
I don’t get why anyone would just try and mimic Doom instead of going for their own unique look. That’s why games like Amid Evil, Project Warlock, Dusk, etc stand out.

Griffon

I’m going to see what GmanLives says, but it looked like a dollar store Doom knockoff from what I saw.
I don’t get why anyone would just try and mimic Doom instead of going for their own unique look. That’s why games like Amid Evil, Project Warlock, Dusk, etc stand out.
The issue is not the mimicking artstyle. It's the gameplay that is really bad.

Apocryphon

Gman is irritating, though I still watch most of his videos. Civvie is much better I think.

TintoConCasera

the main character of sin .......BLADE is at the end of the trailer , takes place in the same universe maybe
Okay yeah... I should have payed more attention while watching the trailer.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

You are right, that's him! Wonder if we'll get to see the evil bimbo mommy too. Would be cool if they rebooted that saga in some way, first game was cool but they shat the bed trying to make an episodic sequel.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Prodeus looks nice indeed.

Anyone know what's going on with Graven? It's been in early access for so long and feel like it's never going out

Top Bottom