• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro FPS Renaissance

Your favourite throwback shooter so far?

• Ion Fury

Votes: 86 38.4%
  • Amid Evil

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Dusk

Votes: 58 25.9%
  • Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Prodeus

Votes: 52 23.2%

• Total voters

00_Zer0

This is comming out today. Aesthetics look cool, have any of you played the original (on console) before? How is it?
It's been forever since I played the console versions, but the Saturn version is the best version and has some light Metroidvania type elements. It was made from the ground up for the Sega Saturn on the Lobotomy's SlaveDriver Engine. The PlayStation version looks sharper, but whole sections/levels were cut out of it, and therefore, more linear than the Saturn version. The original Windows version that came out in the late 90's is the worst version. I think it's a Build Engine version of the game. The new release uses the Kex engine, and takes the best out of both the Saturn and PSX versions and puts it into one game. I can't wait to try this out.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's been forever since I played the console versions, but the Saturn version is the best version and has some light Metroidvania type elements. It was made from the ground up for the Sega Saturn on the Lobotomy Engine. The PlayStation version looks sharper, but whole sections/levels were cut out of it, and therefore, more linear than the Saturn version. The original Windows version before the new Kex Emgine version is the worst version. I think it's a Build version game. The Kex engine version takes the best out of both the Saturn and PSX versions and puts it into one game. I can't wait to try this out.
So we have the full levels on this one? That's neat, was kinda worried about this one not being the "definitive edition". Game was already on my wishlist so I'll end up playing this one for sure.

00_Zer0

So we have the full levels on this one? That's neat, was kinda worried about this one not being the "definitive edition". Game was already on my wishlist so I'll end up playing this one for sure.
I am not sure what they took out of both games to make this one, but going on past sucesses with the Turok 1 and 2 games I am sure they made the right decisions on what to use out of each version.

Futaleufu

I am not sure what they took out of both games to make this one, but going on past sucesses with the Turok 1 and 2 games I am sure they made the right decisions on what to use out of each version.

Best thing about the Turok 2 rerelease was the indicator/radar they added for items/progression. The original game was more cryptic than Hexen 2.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Best thing about the Turok 2 rerelease was the indicator/radar they added for items/progression. The original game was more cryptic than Hexen 2.
Don't forget being able to play online multiplayer with split screen. Pretty cool thing that more games should do imo.

VN1X

Banned

Fuck me some of those weapon designs (and art in general) really wear their inspirations on their sleeves don't they? Bordering on plagiarism lol. Overall it looks super derivative to be honest but then again the online co-op might be its saving grace though. We'll see!

VN1X

Banned
Also if you lot haven't already: You should really play Ashes 2063. It's a perfect mix between DOOM, Stalker/Fallout and Half-Life imo and I absolutely love it.

Shot_8.png

Shot_2.png

Shot_10.png

Shot_11.png

My clickbaity video title isn't just that as it's honestly is one of the finest retro shooters I've had the pleasure of playing in quite a while (and it's free to boot!). Get the standalone version here and get fragging.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Want more standalone Doom Engine games? Just scour through this DoomWorld thread.

PS: Rekkr and Hacx are now also standalone on DOS! That's right, bring out your 486 and play retro the way it should be played!

Doczu

Want more standalone Doom Engine games? Just scour through this DoomWorld thread.

PS: Rekkr and Hacx are now also standalone on DOS! That's right, bring out your 486 and play retro the way it should be played!
Thanks for this. I got a potato laptop so these will be nice to try.

Oh and man you back?! Or am i blind and haven't seen you post here?

Redneckerz

Thanks for this. I got a potato laptop so these will be nice to try.

Oh and man you back?! Or am i blind and haven't seen you post here?
I have been back for a long time. Just not posting that often. Surprise someone remembers!

Posting a bit more now since im on a Covid-infection. Thanks for your comment though!

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Also if you lot haven't already: You should really play Ashes 2063. It's a perfect mix between DOOM, Stalker/Fallout and Half-Life imo and I absolutely love it.

Shot_8.png

Shot_2.png

Shot_10.png

Shot_11.png

My clickbaity video title isn't just that as it's honestly is one of the finest retro shooters I've had the pleasure of playing in quite a while (and it's free to boot!). Get the standalone version here and get fragging.

This game is great. Thank you!

VN1X

Banned
There's a demo out now for Scathe via Steam Next Fest! Going to give it a go later.

This game is great. Thank you!
I absolutely love it. :lollipop_grinning:

And to think I still have 2 more levels to go, the DLC and an entire second episode (if the .bat files are to be believed in any case!) all for the low low price of nothing. The definition of a sleeper hit if I ever saw one.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Ion Fury only because it pissed Era off lol
Hoping we get that Aftershock dlc soon.

It wasn't my favourite retro shooter out of the many that have come out in the last 2-3 years or so but it was certainly very well made and I enjoyed it throughout. I'm just hoping they spice things up a bit for that upcoming dlc content.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Also I played that Scathe demo and... yeah it ain't great lol. I'd honestly only get it for a tenner at best with the caveat that I only play it in co-op with some friends (and lots of drinks). Otherwise I wouldn't really bother with this. It's a shame as for all its generic trappings I wouldn't actually mind a Lidl version of DOOM. It's just that at the moment it doesn't hold a candle to the responsive and snappy gameplay of its main inspiration, nor to any of the other FPS titles that have come out recently. Hopefully the demo feedback they'll receive will help increase the game's quality.

The real shame this Next Fest is that Metal: Hellsinger is nowhere to be found and neither is Shadow Warrior 3. Curses!

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Made a thread about this one recently

IpTnTWS.png

Really rare to get a japanese FPS with anime style like this.

Some pretty impressive stuff within the game like full blown ballistic system with bullet spread, bullet speed, bullet drop and recoil or all sorts of animations and sprite variations.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Yeah played Turbo Overkill earlier this week and it has gone from "eh might check it out eventually" to "day 1 babyyy". The demo proved that the game is a blast to play. Can't wait for the full thing now!

Great game indeed. Day 1 for me too(if the price is right:messenger_grinning:).

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

A sleeping hit is Prodeus.

It feels like the game Doom Eternal should have been instead.

I randomly came across it because it is on game pass.

I know it devalues the game for some, but seriously check out the game. Only downside is its early access.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Another one that's probably gone under the radar for many (including me) is INCISION. There's a demo still available you can download right now ahead of its Early Access release later this year and I very much recommend it. I think it's made by just one dude but the animations, movement mechanics and level design are all simply fantastic. Even the soundtrack is much better than it has any right to be. Definitely will be picking this up on day one.

ss_f44aff99ba29c3a25d18125ed9361034ad0f0624.1920x1080.jpg

ss_2a03f811e7425a1fbdf1b9bfb141ede893d5d459.1920x1080.jpg

ss_cc5d0825aa05263078a9eb169590b4679f0b166a.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Kupfer

fCGrLzz.jpg
Ashes is a Post-apocalypse themed total conversion for the GZDoom engine. It combines old school build style level design and Doom style action with a twist of Stalker and Fallout.​

Awesome game with smart leveldesign, great atmosphere and catchy soundtrack.
It's a standalone and totally free. Well worth a try!
Ashes 2063 Download (Mod DB)

Also played some HROT and Dread Templar recently.
The two are also definitely worth a look and right now part of the Best of Boomer Shooters Bundle ( HumbleBundle )

EDIT:
I was too impatient to read through the thread. VN1X VN1X already mentioned the game, but you can not draw enough attention to Ashes 2063.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Hands of Necromancy (by Frechou Games)

Trailer:

Blurb:
Hands of Necromancy (Steam page) is a dark fantasy fps in retro style using the GZDoom engine and developed by a team of people from the GZDoom as well as the Heretic/Hexen community.

The game revolves around a mix of Heretic/Hexen-like gameplay and the Metroidvania-style of Wonderboy 3 Dragon's Trap. Fast-paced monster slaying meets challenging puzzles and the hunt for key items.

The player is aided by 7 magical weapons while having to overcome humanity by transforming into 4 gruesome beasts to defeat the spawn of darkness. The game is 90% finished and only a few levels are left.

Release is very soon (mid-2022)

Gameplay video (30 mins):

Last edited:
Some of the retro shooters that were released in the last few months. Keep in mind Nightmare Reaper is also a rougelite.

Nightmare Reaper​

ss_44c57d21ec207301eb06746b4490c9439933fa23.1920x1080.jpg

A dark and violent meld of retro and modern action games, inspired by the classic 2.5D first person shooters of the 90s, with elements of modern looter shooters and rogue-lites.

INTENSE AND ADDICTIVE GAMEPLAY
Tons of enemies are crammed in open-ended levels full of surprises and geysers of blood and treasure.

CHARACTER PROGRESSION
Use the gold you find to purchase tons of character upgrades and new abilities via minigames.

LUDICROUS WEAPON VARIETY
80 unique weapons that can drop as loot and can contain a funky mix of over 30 enchantment types.

Postal: Brain Damaged​

ss_dacc3956b7257f77102aeb4b3d3cc6e8b4b89b4c.1920x1080.jpg
Wild setting? Even wilder gameplay! While staying true to POSTAL’S trademark tone and humor the game plays very different to all the previous titles in the series. What you get is fast, challenging, and full of varied, meticulously designed enemies and environments. If you’re surfing the tidal wave of throwback shooters or enjoyed the latest installment of that game where you single-handily take on the forces of Hell invading Earth, you will feel right at home (even more so if your home smells really bad).

The Circle of Life: First we had "DOOM clones", then "first person shooters", followed by "boomer shooters". And now we are here, in the era of "DOOM Eternal clones".
Honestly, the game should be titled "Postal: Dude Eternal".

Not complaining, I love it.

Forgive Me Father​

ss_8ffd4b3090a788a99b7ce426da51aee046deb0c3.1920x1080.jpg
As the only one left with full senses, you embark on a journey in search of answers and relief in this FPS game that is created in a distinctive retro horror comic book style and feels as if it came straight out of Lovecraft's books.

Be aware of your madness level which dynamically changes during gameplay and gives you additional power. Choose your active skills depending on your play style and use them to fight against the eternal evil.

The writing was google translated by someone who doesn't speak english and read by someone who is at gunpoint by the writer. Everything from text to dialog is hot garbage in a huge way.

It shoot good tho. Very fight.

Kingdom of the Dead​

ss_3c1fcbfd9fc631aec66e93d58b9f3a2f8ef14e2a.1920x1080.jpg

Powerslave Exhumed​

ss_61b1587f21e286d5c71aa427efac5d777ff16dd8.1920x1080.jpg

Are "boomer shooters" easier to make than modern FPS games? In other words, do they have lower production values, and are therefore "indie friendly"?

I'd love to see a "boomer shooter" that's more like Half Life (ie it is narrative focused), and less like Doom (ie it's just a shooting gallery).

Another one that's probably gone under the radar for many (including me) is INCISION. There's a demo still available you can download right now ahead of its Early Access release later this year and I very much recommend it. I think it's made by just one dude but the animations, movement mechanics and level design are all simply fantastic. Even the soundtrack is much better than it has any right to be. Definitely will be picking this up on day one.

ss_f44aff99ba29c3a25d18125ed9361034ad0f0624.1920x1080.jpg

ss_2a03f811e7425a1fbdf1b9bfb141ede893d5d459.1920x1080.jpg

ss_cc5d0825aa05263078a9eb169590b4679f0b166a.1920x1080.jpg

That looks pretty impressive... How long do you think it would take a good (solo) developer to achieve something like this?

TintoConCasera

Are "boomer shooters" easier to make than modern FPS games? In other words, do they have lower production values, and are therefore "indie friendly"?

I'd love to see a "boomer shooter" that's more like Half Life (ie it is narrative focused), and less like Doom (ie it's just a shooting gallery).
That looks pretty impressive... How long do you think it would take a good (solo) developer to achieve something like this?
Hey I think I saw you on the dev thread! Are you thinking about making an FPS?

Regarding to your first question... I think it depends. Modern FPSs ala Call of Duty rely a lot on scripted, cinematic sequences, and my guess is that those can take a lot of time to make. I'd rather develop a boomer shooter, although that would take it's time to develop too, since you'll need to develop those things that aren't present in most modern FPSs:
  • Actual level design: you can't just have some hallways like in modern shooters. You'll need to design levels that are interesting to explore, and you'll need good movement too.
  • Enemy variety: those games rely a lot on that. Having an interesting set of enemies to mix and match in differenr encounters will be the key to making it fun or boring.
So yeah, tl:dr; a boomer shooter might be easier to develop on the technical side, but they are way harder to design.

But both types of games will take lots of time to develop for different reasons. My advice would be to not think about that and just concentrate on having fun while developing your game. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey I think I saw you on the dev thread! Are you thinking about makingn an FPS?

Regarding to your first question... I think it depends. Modern FPSs ala Call of Duty rely a lot on scripted, cinematic sequences, and my guess is that those can take a lot of time to make. I'd rather develop a boomer shooter, although that would take it's time to develop too, since you'll need to develop those things that aren't present in most modern FPSs:
  • Actual level design: you can't just have some hallways like in modern shooters. You'll need to design levels that are interesting to explore, and you'll need good movement too.
  • Enemy variety: those games rely a lot on that. Having an interesting set of enemies to mix and match in differenr encounters will be the key to making it fun or boring.
So yeah, tl:dr;, both types will take lots of time to develop for different reasons. My advice would be to not think about that and just concentrate on having fun while developing your game. Good luck!
Hi, thanks for that... I don't know any game dev experience, but wouldn't mind developing something that's "narrative driven" (ie Valve's Half Life) whilst retaining that "old school" (budget friendly) aesthetic. For that, I guess I would have to learn Unity.

On the other hand... I wouldn't mind trying to make a vertical shooter (like Radiant Silvergun and Dodonpachi)... And for that, I guess I would have to learn Game Maker Studio.

There's also the time commitment... At present, I'm kind of snowed under with work... But once my situation eases up, I'd probably only be able to allocate about 2 hours per day on weekdays - which is about 10 hours per week.

I know that games development is an awfully long-winded process. And I know that the entire process of making a "semi decent" game would most likely take me about 3 years if I were to start from zero... Which is a fairly big commitment.

If I was an experienced dev, and could devote myself to the project full-time, I can imagine being able to finish a high quality game in 12 months.

TintoConCasera

Hi, thanks for that... I don't know any game dev experience, but wouldn't mind developing something that's "narrative driven" (ie Valve's Half Life) whilst retaining that "old school" (budget friendly) aesthetic. For that, I guess I would have to learn Unity.

On the other hand... I wouldn't mind trying to make a vertical shooter (like Radiant Silvergun and Dodonpachi)... And for that, I guess I would have to learn Game Maker Studio.

There's also the time commitment... At present, I'm kind of snowed under with work... But once my situation eases up, I'd probably only be able to allocate about 2 hours per day on weekdays - which is about 10 hours per week.

I know that games development is an awfully long-winded process. And I know that the entire process of making a "semi decent" game would most likely take me about 3 years if I were to start from zero... Which is a fairly big commitment.

If I was an experienced dev, and could devote myself to the project full-time, I can imagine being able to finish a high quality game in 12 months.
You could always learn to make maps on the DOOM engine or the Build engine, that way you could concentrate on making a narrative experience while having the gameplay aspect already sorted out for you.

A vertical shooter wouldn't take that much time I imagine. Game Maker is fairly simple as long as you don't try doing anything crazier, and there's enough free assets on the internet to make hundreds of those. Check out opengameart.org and itch.io, those sites are full of free assets.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I'm currently playing Ion Fury, and I'm impressed with how good the guns feel, there is a weight to them that you don't usually see in retro shooters, it plays better than the other retro shooters I have tried. I also like that they don't split everything into short levels like most of these games. You can play for a good long time before it switches zones.

I am looking at Hrot next, anyone played both? is it in the same ballpark?

VN1X

Banned
I'm currently playing Ion Fury, and I'm impressed with how good the guns feel, there is a weight to them that you don't usually see in retro shooters, it plays better than the other retro shooters I have tried. I also like that they don't split everything into short levels like most of these games. You can play for a good long time before it switches zones.

HROT is fantastic.

Really fun horde/survival mode as well. The same mode in CULTIST is on another level though.

TintoConCasera

Hey, what difficulty are you playing on? I got the game just yesterday and will be probably playing it soon. Thing is I heard this one is pretty difficult, in a Blood kind of way were enemies react almost instantly on the harder difficulties. What do you think of the difficulty so far?

Bragr

Banned
Hey, what difficulty are you playing on? I got the game just yesterday and will be probably playing it soon. Thing is I heard this one is pretty difficult, in a Blood kind of way were enemies react almost instantly on the harder difficulties. What do you think of the difficulty so far?
I'm just playing on normal, maybe 4 hours into it, the difficulty seems fair so far. I certainly died quite a few times, but I can't think of an area where I struggled too much. Maybe it gets rougher deeper in.

And with quick save, it's easy to jump back in, just keep pressing F6 every few minutes and you are never far away from where you die.

TintoConCasera

Guys, don't forget your memory configuration with these old games, otherwise they will just not work!
Autoexec.bat and config.sys information
Woah thanks! Make sure you don't forget you aim assist either, console boy. :lollipop_squint_tongue:

I know you jest, but for real, people should look into enabling EAX more often when playing old games. I wasn't aware of this until no long ago, but it's possible just by dragging some .dlls here and there.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

I played HROT demo(20 minutes) and Ion Fury(4 hours). I think Ion Fury is the better game but HROT is cool too. The only negative thing about HROT is that the guns are like water guns; sound effects are awful.

I mean look at that shotgun: Youtube link.
Here is a clip from Ion Fury: link.

I recommend Ashes 2063 too(free game): link. I played first part non-stop. You can download it from here: moddb.

You could always learn to make maps on the DOOM engine or the Build engine, that way you could concentrate on making a narrative experience while having the gameplay aspect already sorted out for you.

A vertical shooter wouldn't take that much time I imagine. Game Maker is fairly simple as long as you don't try doing anything crazier, and there's enough free assets on the internet to make hundreds of those. Check out opengameart.org and itch.io, those sites are full of free assets.
Would you say that it's better to do the Vert Shmup in Unity? Because then I can at least learn the engine.

I can do a "quick" shmup in Unity... And then go all-in with the "boomer FPS shooter" in Unity as well.

I would certainly have learnt a lot more about Unity by then, and would be a lot more experienced when it comes to best practices.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Would you say that it's better to do the Vert Shmup in Unity? Because then I can at least learn the engine.

I can do a "quick" shmup in Unity... And then go all-in with the "boomer FPS shooter" in Unity as well.

I would certainly have learnt a lot more about Unity by then, and would be a lot more experienced when it comes to best practices.
Sure! Sounds like a plan. :)

Good luck mate, here's hoping to see your game made some day.

Redneckerz

Heads up:

Hands of Necromancy
got released on June 20, 2022.

Got a review copy from the devs to review it later. Based on brief playing, its the Heretic successor you wish Heretic 2 was!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Some of the retro shooters that were released in the last few months. Keep in mind Nightmare Reaper is also a rougelite.

Nightmare Reaper​

ss_44c57d21ec207301eb06746b4490c9439933fa23.1920x1080.jpg

A dark and violent meld of retro and modern action games, inspired by the classic 2.5D first person shooters of the 90s, with elements of modern looter shooters and rogue-lites.

INTENSE AND ADDICTIVE GAMEPLAY
Tons of enemies are crammed in open-ended levels full of surprises and geysers of blood and treasure.

CHARACTER PROGRESSION
Use the gold you find to purchase tons of character upgrades and new abilities via minigames.

LUDICROUS WEAPON VARIETY
80 unique weapons that can drop as loot and can contain a funky mix of over 30 enchantment types.

Postal: Brain Damaged​

ss_dacc3956b7257f77102aeb4b3d3cc6e8b4b89b4c.1920x1080.jpg
Wild setting? Even wilder gameplay! While staying true to POSTAL’S trademark tone and humor the game plays very different to all the previous titles in the series. What you get is fast, challenging, and full of varied, meticulously designed enemies and environments. If you’re surfing the tidal wave of throwback shooters or enjoyed the latest installment of that game where you single-handily take on the forces of Hell invading Earth, you will feel right at home (even more so if your home smells really bad).

Forgive Me Father​

ss_8ffd4b3090a788a99b7ce426da51aee046deb0c3.1920x1080.jpg
As the only one left with full senses, you embark on a journey in search of answers and relief in this FPS game that is created in a distinctive retro horror comic book style and feels as if it came straight out of Lovecraft's books.

Be aware of your madness level which dynamically changes during gameplay and gives you additional power. Choose your active skills depending on your play style and use them to fight against the eternal evil.

Kingdom of the Dead​

ss_3c1fcbfd9fc631aec66e93d58b9f3a2f8ef14e2a.1920x1080.jpg

Powerslave Exhumed​

ss_61b1587f21e286d5c71aa427efac5d777ff16dd8.1920x1080.jpg
I dismiss almost anything with pixel style graphics and "quake" early 3d tryhards. And especially everything with that noise "hardcore" music that imitates new Doom. I think Eternal soundtrack is worse than original.
These games never capture what the feel or look for me except Ion Fury... but I don't like the main character.
Powerslave is obviously a classic!

Kingdom of the Dead looks very neat. Finally something that's looking original and does not have 2 frame reloading animation and pixelated graphics...
Forgive me father looks good but it just ends up looking cheap with so little frames of animation on everything.
Citadel looks pretty good too

So I just played Ion Fury a few days ago...

I know that "boomer shooters" have their fans... But one of the main problems with the subgenre is that there's no real narrative for why you're having to go around and shoot things. I think that's why games like Half Life were such a breath of fresh air, in that they had solid campaigns.

I wish someone took the "boomer shooter" aesthetic, and wrapped it around a "new shooter" core shell.

With this in mind, a game like Half Life with retro graphics would be super cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom