• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro FPS Renaissance

Your favourite throwback shooter so far?

• Ion Fury

Votes: 86 38.4%
  • Amid Evil

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Dusk

Votes: 58 25.9%
  • Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Prodeus

Votes: 52 23.2%

• Total voters

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Open world and large maps were for the best but looking back you can respect these type of games.

VN1X

Banned
Oh just happened upon this one, first I heard of it and seems to lean a bit more towards the roguelike type of things but still heavily inspired by Duke Nukem 3D and Blood. Looks like a delightful mess in any case!

This is the most wholesome dev update thread I've seen in a while btw.

Nightmare Reaper | Official Site | Release Date: Steam Early Access 16 Jul, 2019

ss_33b50215470caa8e05e70d9607b02b2d87d2dde6.1920x1080.jpg

ss_2458684e32babd7f5e5bd3bced24e0715e91ad46.1920x1080.jpg

ss_81ad1f75c496156880997d8e28efa59f6e68eef0.1920x1080.jpg

Also, I didn't mention Maximum Action before. Bought it a while ago but haven't played it yet as the last time I checked it was kind of lacking in the content department. Did anyone else touch it yet?

Maximum Action | Release Date: Steam Early Access 19 Sep, 2018

ss_0642ef773a3158d5b085df0ac0ad17afc4add272.1920x1080.jpg

ss_4ecfd7ae01b0fce4eccdf2875f3924e8e479d175.1920x1080.jpg

ss_6cf745cd737ed230e494e138ac59004d97e77b52.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Oh just happened upon this one, first I heard of it and seems to lean a bit more towards the roguelike type of things but still heavily inspired by Duke Nukem 3D and Blood. Looks like a delightful mess in any case!

Nightmare Reaper | Official Site | Release Date: Steam Early Access 16 Jul, 2019

ss_33b50215470caa8e05e70d9607b02b2d87d2dde6.1920x1080.jpg

ss_2458684e32babd7f5e5bd3bced24e0715e91ad46.1920x1080.jpg

ss_81ad1f75c496156880997d8e28efa59f6e68eef0.1920x1080.jpg

Also, I didn't mention Maximum Action before. Bought it a while ago but haven't played it yet as the last time I checked it was kind of lacking in the content department. Did anyone else touch it yet?

Maximum Action | Release Date: Steam Early Access 19 Sep, 2018

ss_0642ef773a3158d5b085df0ac0ad17afc4add272.1920x1080.jpg

ss_4ecfd7ae01b0fce4eccdf2875f3924e8e479d175.1920x1080.jpg

ss_6cf745cd737ed230e494e138ac59004d97e77b52.1920x1080.jpg

Ya Maximum Action is suppposed to be inspired by Hong Kong classic shoot em up movies. I am a huge fan of this genre and Chow Yun Fat especially. Im waiting for it to get out of early access because I generally just dont play early access games and wait for the finished version to come out.

But it definitely looks promising!

VN1X

Banned
Amazing, now we're getting a full on documentary on our favorite genre as well. The editing in this teaser is terrific honestly:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
For some reason I remember the night that the Sin demo dropped. One of my friends started downloading it immediately and several hours of 56k downloading and a lot of Natural Lights later, we played it and it was glorious.

TheMan

How to you guys like Ion Fury on console? I bought it on ps4 on sale a month or so ago, and I have to say i don't like the controls. Feels like it would work better with m+kb. haven't bothered playing it much as a result

drotahorror

Alright boys, got some more goodies. These aren't really retro but they have some gameplay. I see a lot of 'boomer shooters' lingo going around. A couple may have been posted, sorry in advance.

^I think this looks sick but price is not right for me at the moment.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
IMPACT has gotten a new name (Severed Steel) and publisher (Digerati)! Gmanlives played an early build of it and shared his impressions:

Unfortunately there's no specific release date yet so I'll twiddle my thumbs until then...

Last edited:

mansoor1980

IMPACT has gotten a new name (Severed Steel) and publisher (Digerati)! Gmanlives played an early build of it and shared his impressions:

Unfortunately no release date window yet so I'll twiddle my thumbs until then...

looks dope , a mix of FEAR and MIRRORs EDGE , playing this with a controller will be a nightmare

CitizenZ

Banned
Yeah man this new wave of boo- I mean retro first-person-shooters is quite frankly one of the best things about gaming in 2021 for me hah.

We're even getting a Rise of the Triad remaster that no one asked for lol:

EDIT:

Yeah eagerly anticipating that one. It's been through a lot of ups and downs over the past few years though but apparently it's now in full production and coming along nicely:

Thought WF was cancelled but good to see its still in dev.

Dr.Morris79

Yesterday I had a tinker with my gpx xd+ and went back to trying to get my Doom wads and Pk's to work. Turns out i'd originally just noobed it up and stuck wads in wrong folders..

On the first try it all worked perfect, I had Brutal Doom running with the PS1 soundtrack in the background, couldnt of been happier. Brutal Doom on the go! Marvelous.

VN1X

Banned
Viscerafest comes out in a few hours from now and they've just put out a new trailer ahead of the early access release!

Will have a reduced price during early access (even discounted at launch) but will go up for the full 1.0 release.

Last edited:

Danknugz

I would be all over these games if they included native VR modes with motion controls. Given The low res graphics that should not be that difficult even on slower computers.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I just found this thread. I've been playing through Project Brutality lately and having a blast. Dusk looks really fun, think I'll try and scoop it up on a sale if it has one in the future. Went ahead and installed Blood: Fresh Supply as I've never played it and am really enjoying it so far, only spent an hour or so playing Blood. May need to push the difficulty down for a first playthrough though as Well-Done is kicking my ass. Any suggestions on the difficulty for a first-time playthrough?

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I just found this thread. I've been playing through Project Brutality lately and having a blast. Dusk looks really fun, think I'll try and scoop it up on a sale if it has one in the future. Went ahead and installed Blood: Fresh Supply as I've never played it and am really enjoying it so far, only spent an hour or so playing Blood. May need to push the difficulty down for a first playthrough though as Well-Done is kicking my ass. Any suggestions on the difficulty for a first-time playthrough?
BLOOD is one of the more difficult shooters of yesteryear for sure. I don't remember all the difficulty settings but I do remember people like Gmanlives also suggesting to turning it down a notch. Otherwise it's just a bit ridiculous, especially for first time players.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
BLOOD is one of the more difficult shooters of yesteryear for sure. I don't remember all the difficulty settings but I do remember people like Gmanlives also suggesting to turning it down a notch. Otherwise it's just a bit ridiculous, especially for first time players.
Thanks. I actually just watched his blood review and noticed him saying specifically that too. Will do! Great thread.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Gotta say, finished playing the first 3 episodes of Blood: Fresh Supply and I'm in love. Been playing on Made to Order custom difficulty with everything on Well Done difficulty except enemy numbers on Extra Crispy, so maximum number of enemies but only hit as hard as Well Done enemies, IT'S AWESOME.

I'm really enjoying it, I bought my buddy a copy because I want to play through again in co-op, he doesn't seem too keen on it as it, "looks old and I'm not a fan of difficulty shooters" is his response, but I told him he's now officially obligated because I spent the $1.17 for the key to give it to him and to waste ALL that money during a pandemic is a crime in some countries. I think I have a few more episodes to finish and I'm looking forward to it.

I haven't played a build engine game since Duke Nukem 3D:Megaton Edition YEARS ago and I'm really enjoying the nuances of it especially since it does quite a good job feeling different enough from the insane amount of hours I've put into Brutal Doom.

Reinstalled Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition just to test it out and it crashes on starting an episode. Trying to play at 3440x1440 both fullscreen and bordered and still crashes on starting an episode. I really wish I could figure it out as I really want to play more Build Engine games but want to give Duke a shot over Shadow Warrior at the moment.

Installed Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour but something about the mouse controls feels off and it just feels like shit. I do have eDuke as an option but I'd really like to use Megaton Edition as it has some nice improvements for Ultrawide and 21:9 in general. Anyone else have that issue?

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Gotta say, finished playing the first 3 episodes of Blood: Fresh Supply and I'm in love. Been playing on Made to Order custom difficulty with everything on Well Done difficulty except enemy numbers on Extra Crispy, so maximum number of enemies but only hit as hard as Well Done enemies, IT'S AWESOME.

I'm really enjoying it, I bought my buddy a copy because I want to play through again in co-op, he doesn't seem too keen on it as it, "looks old and I'm not a fan of difficulty shooters" is his response, but I told him he's now officially obligated because I spent the $1.17 for the key to give it to him and to waste ALL that money during a pandemic is a crime in some countries. I think I have a few more episodes to finish and I'm looking forward to it.

I haven't played a build engine game since Duke Nukem 3D:Megaton Edition YEARS ago and I'm really enjoying the nuances of it especially since it does quite a good job feeling different enough from the insane amount of hours I've put into Brutal Doom.

Reinstalled Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition just to test it out and it crashes on starting an episode. Trying to play at 3440x1440 both fullscreen and bordered and still crashes on starting an episode. I really wish I could figure it out as I really want to play more Build Engine games but want to give Duke a shot over Shadow Warrior at the moment.

Installed Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour but something about the mouse controls feels off and it just feels like shit. I do have eDuke as an option but I'd really like to use Megaton Edition as it has some nice improvements for Ultrawide and 21:9 in general. Anyone else have that issue?
Yeah the Randy PItchford Edition of Duke has some blatant control issues but to be honest, even though I'm a purist, I finished it recently anyway because the bonus episode is actually really, really good and some of the commentary from the original devs was quite insightful. The on-the-fly engine swap feature is kind of neat as well I guess.

In other related shooter news I almost 100 "percented" DOOM Eternal as far as achievements go! Just a few more kills in Battlemode, one more singleplayer achievevement and I'm basically done. Wahey!

Last edited:

Unfortunately there's no specific release date yet so I'll twiddle my thumbs until then...

This looks like a good time indeed. How did I miss it? Solid review from Gman too.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Has anyone tried Raze? Looks to be an offshoot of GZDoom made specifically for Build Engine games. Saw a few videos of people running Blood and Shadow Warrior with it, looks like it works pretty well. Anyone try it yet?

Top Bottom