• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro FPS Renaissance

Your favourite throwback shooter so far?

• Ion Fury

Votes: 86 38.4%
  • Amid Evil

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Dusk

Votes: 58 25.9%
  • Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Prodeus

Votes: 52 23.2%

• Total voters

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Got a chance to begin Ion Fury. Playing on the second-hardest mode (it would feel wrong not to challenge myself) and I keep dying before I reach the end of stage 1. I know I can quicksave but I keep forgetting. I want to play it balls to the wall like DOOM.

drotahorror

ULTRAKILL is out on steam btw

And from Realm Deep

Brutal Fate

Core Decay

Graven

And couple not from the show

Viscerafest (fan made trailer, well-made though!)

And this one doesn't quite fit the retro-aesthetic but the gameplay is there, and it's pretty unique
BPM: Bullets Per Minute

For the record, I don't think any of these look like trash and all look like they're worth a buy. I think my least favorite is Graven, looks nice but maybe the gameplay isn't for me.

Last edited:
ULTRAKILL is out on steam btw

And from Realm Deep

Brutal Fate

Core Decay

Graven

And couple not from the show

Viscerafest (fan made trailer, well-made though!)

And this one doesn't quite fit the retro-aesthetic but the gameplay is there, and it's pretty unique
BPM: Bullets Per Minute

For the record, I don't think any of these look like trash and all look like they're worth a buy. I think my least favorite is Graven, looks nice but maybe the gameplay isn't for me.

Ultrakill is in early access right now.

Davey Cakes

Ion Fury is excellent. Every time I play it, I have a blast. I love how the pistol (Loverboy) is viable throughout the game, and how the submachine gun (Penetrator) requires a light trigger finger.

VN1X

Banned
As someone who grew up in the 90s I've played my fair share of, what might now be described as, "standard Shooty McShoot" games. However it's these more 'simple' titles that I've grown very fond of again as of late. All killer no filler if you will. There's a pletheora of these available nowadays and I thought it'd be nice to sort of aggregate all the newly announced and recently released Nu-Shooters in a single thread. If only to get a nice overview of what to keep an eye out for or to share smaller titles that might've gone under the radar (Viscerafest confirmed for GOTY btw!). I mean, do you remember Witchfire from The Vanishing of Ethan Carter devs? Yeah that's still being worked on (and releasing sooner rather than later, hopefully).

Below you find a list of all FPS games that are heavily inspired by old-school design or titles from yesteryear. Click on the spoiler tags for more information. Please post others you come across and I'll update the OP accordingly. I'd say everything ranging from DOOM to Project IGI or Turok to Serious Sam fits the mold.

Rejoice fellow grey folk!

oh-lord-brutal-doom.gif

AMID EVIL | Official Site | Release Date 20 Jun, 2019

ss_25a032691d6c8e5a1d85208526e71fc9b5fcf4a8.1920x1080.jpg

ss_65dc6d64a66ef1e61664a208a05df3e225e1cc11.1920x1080.jpg

ss_10329f62b6dab03883a48f150e6b0a3ff4b356f2.1920x1080.jpg

Brutal Fate | Release Date: Steam Early Access Q3 2021

ss_0287d3b319f95e12ee1cf5c6afb068123fd39e56.1920x1080.jpg

ss_f472d438ff8098e2c9e9381a1814f0db85d833c7.1920x1080.jpg

ss_d17b2506cb24bc769ca57d1a43ed5a14cd8135ae.1920x1080.jpg

Core Decay | Official Site | Release Date: TBA

ss_07450a7ad125cc4bf56f2d6f3d0735b0d0cddd88.1920x1080.jpg

ss_75250b8d8435f5a18936c7a3b9b51f2051843220.1920x1080.jpg

ss_8a73b2e6d9c95c8a5578dfd8cf83aae7217c3b30.1920x1080.jpg

DUSK | Official Site | Release Date: 10 Dec, 2018

ss_042aeeb45c1ac9988e0df38af58755d099ba9bfb.1920x1080.jpg

ss_63ac85fc57d5739d2052c88d97cf9cda40c22115.1920x1080.jpg

ss_c8c61a6569a988783c8550f1d5334931e829cbce.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Hah yeah I was hoping everything would fit into the OP but apparently GAF can't handle more than 10 pieces of media per post so that's a bummer.

I'd love to be able to keep the first post up to date but I don't think that's possible. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Reviewed the early access Prodeus not that long ago, really enjoyed it. Reminded me of what I wanted Doom 3 to be like before it was announced to be what it was :messenger_grinning_sweat: Also has plenty of gore and a nice graphical touch that lets you switch between sprite & polygonal enemies

VN1X

Banned
Reviewed the early access Prodeus not that long ago, really enjoyed it. Reminded me of what I wanted Doom 3 to be like before it was announced to be what it was :messenger_grinning_sweat: Also has plenty of gore and a nice graphical touch that lets you switch between sprite & polygonal enemies
Yeah backed it on kickstarter for both the PC and Switch versions but I'm still holding off on playing until 1.0 is released. Same goes for Wrath and ULTRAKILL. Already own 'em but want to give them some more time in the oven.

Can't wait for Viscerafest though and will buy that regardless of what version they put up on the Steam store. The demo left me very impressed and you just can't beat that amazing soundtrack:

makaveli60

Nice thread. Back in the day I would have gone crazy for some of these but their tech being also stuck in the past unfortunately puts me off.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
The term boomer shooter is subject to severe moderation by your truly due to direct triggering of myself. I suggest you change it.

Besides that all great suggestions. I haven't played all these games but I cannot recommend Dusk any more than humanly possible. Also I'm not sure Shadow Warruro series would be considered a retro shooter

mansoor1980

dude awesome thread , in all seriousness i had no idea so many updates to calassic fps games were coming along with new ones , KINGPIN remaster about mutherfukin time baby

VN1X

Banned
The term boomer shooter is subject to severe moderation by your truly due to direct triggering of myself. I suggest you change it.

Besides that all great suggestions. I haven't played all these games but I cannot recommend Dusk any more than humanly possible. Also I'm not sure Shadow Warruro series would be considered a retro shooter
Woops. Will it be a whipping this time, sir?

Also permission to disagree with the Shadow Warrior point you made? As I think it's definitely one that belongs in this category considering it share so many of the design philosophies of retro shooters, along with some shiny new mechanics and looks of its own of course. Perhaps I could see SW2 being a bit of an odd one out as that was more of a looter shooter but SW3 seems like a step towards old school goodness. A bit like DOOM Eternal if you will. :pie_ssmiling:

VN1X

Banned
dude awesome thread , in all seriousness i had no idea so many updates to calassic fps games were coming along with new ones , KINGPIN remaster about mutherfukin time baby
Yeah man this new wave of boo- I mean retro first-person-shooters is quite frankly one of the best things about gaming in 2021 for me hah.

We're even getting a Rise of the Triad remaster that no one asked for lol:

EDIT:
man witch fire is like WHOA , my jaw is on the floor
Yeah eagerly anticipating that one. It's been through a lot of ups and downs over the past few years though but apparently it's now in full production and coming along nicely:

Last edited:
I love these games and I found a few more to add to the wishlist here.

Two more that I know about:

This one was recently announced I believe and it might not quite be a boomer shooter but it does look tasty:

VN1X

Banned
I love these games and I found a few more to add to the wishlist here.

Two more that I know about:

This one was recently announced I believe and it might not quite be a boomer shooter but it does look tasty:
Ooooh thanks. The first two are new to me so on the wishlist they go! Need to see more on Vomitoreum though as despite the amazing title I'm not too fond of heavy Metroidvania elements trickling down into a shooter. I mean as long as it doesn't turn into a Hollow Knight type experience I'll be fine I guess (just got too overwhelmed in that game and then stopped playing entirely. I know, shame on me).

Stuart360

I wouldnt really class Shadow Warrior 3 as a retro style shooter. Its very much a modern shooter in mechanics.

Of the ones i have played, Prodeus is the best for me. So freaking awesome.

Last edited:
I loved Kingpin back in the day. Company I worked for had a ISDN line and the boss gave me keys so I could come in at weekends and play. Famous for the novelty of its explicit swearing IIRC 😂

Stuart360

I loved Kingpin back in the day. Company I worked for had a ISDN line and the boss gave me keys so I could come in at weekends and play. Famous for the novelty of its explicit swearing IIRC 😂
Nightdive are supposedly remastering Kingpin, or someone is anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom