• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro FPS Renaissance

Your favourite throwback shooter so far?

• Ion Fury

Votes: 86 38.4%
  • Amid Evil

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Dusk

Votes: 58 25.9%
  • Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Prodeus

Votes: 52 23.2%

• Total voters

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It is one of the, if not the, worst games I've ever seen in my life.

Developers wondered how their game would look by burning every single component in their computer to see what the result would look like in motion.
But have you played it? To me it seems like one of those games you don't get to understand just by looking at a trailer.

tommib

Have any of you cool motherfuckers tried HYPER DEMON already? Looks very cool, like Devil Daggers but on an acid trip.

Tripping Cotton Candy GIF

This looks insane in the best way possible. Thanks, man.

I think this is my new favourite thread. So much to discover. Being a hardcore Quake 1 fan, all these new dark shooters give me a hard on.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Have any of you cool motherfuckers tried HYPER DEMON already? Looks very cool, like Devil Daggers but on an acid trip.

Tripping Cotton Candy GIF

Well it's from the same devs. I sucked at devil daggers but I did give this a go. I suck at it too hah. It's definitely a visual overload but I get the appeal. The fov mechanics are really wild and interesting.

And it's for sure a game that videos don't do justice. You need to try for yourself.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Finished the second level and I do think hard is the way to go. I really LOVE the smoke effects in the game. I still think the visual design is uneven and the blood/gib effects are way overdone. Still not digging enemy design as most of the damage I take thus far is more about being trapped in a room with ten or so enemies and running into one of the ones behind my back while strafing from other enemies.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
none of em
ULTRAKILL is the ultimate retro throwback (and i don't really like calling it that since it mostly has an identity of its own)

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
More Prodeus screens.

I like the customizability of everything in the game. As cool as the hud seemed at first i went without it for better visibility. You can alter the appearance of the game quite drastically with all the graphic filters. Having peeked at the unlockable upgrades in the shop i do wonder what the game has up its sleeves later on.

52382254046_7cf6507246_o.png

52382681615_899bba3ab4_o.png

52382681600_043e26dd1f_o.png

52382681605_a5f74cb6ab_o.png

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
To 100% some of these weapon trials in Prodeus in the required time is quite challenging. I'm 2 seconds of for the shotgun trial and have a hard time to shave of these seconds.

drotahorror

none of em
ULTRAKILL is the ultimate retro throwback (and i don't really like calling it that since it mostly has an identity of its own)

Who are you saying "none of em" to ha?

ULTRAKILL is fantastic though.

Although it kind of looks like a rip off, REAVER is giving ULTRAKILL a run for it's money. I might even like it more. There's a demo

For upcoming retro fps's, CULTIC is probably at the top of my list. Chapter one comes out on October 13th, also has a demo.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For upcoming retro fps's, CULTIC is probably at the top of my list. Chapter one comes out on October 13th, also has a demo.

Tried out the demo for this one.

Liked the visual design, slower pace and the feel of the weapons. Didn't like the level design tho, felt a bit bland imo.

winjer

Gold Member
Finished Prodeus. It was great, except the the last level arena, and the trials.
Highly recommended.

A couple of weeks before I was playing Forgive me father, but I gave up after 6.5 hours.
Combat is good, the retro style is cool, but level design is lacking. Some levels are ok, but most are very simplistic and boring.

TintoConCasera

Hey guys, any word on Project Warlock? Didn't get to attached to it on PC but might give it another go on the Deck,

Finished Prodeus. It was great, except the the last level arena, and the trials.
Highly recommended.
How's the soundtrack? What difficulty did you played it on?

winjer

Gold Member
Hey guys, any word on Project Warlock? Didn't get to attached to it on PC but might give it another go on the Deck,

I played the first game on PC, and I liked it. Not the very best retro shooter, but good enough to have a good time. I don't know how well it runs on the Steam Deck, but considering how light it was, it will probably run very well.
Project Warlock II is in early access. So I'm waiting for the final release.

The soundtrack is made by Andrew Hulshult and it's freacking amazing.
I played it on hard, but I regret doing it. I should have gone a level up, to get more of a challenge.
Might play it again on very hard.

Here is the playlist for the soundtrack, on the youtube channel of Andrew Hulshult.

Last edited:

amigastar

I played the first game on PC, and I liked it. Not the very best retro shooter, but good enough to have a good time. I don't know how well it runs on the Steam Deck, but considering how light it was, it will probably run very well.
Project Warlock II is in early access. So I'm waiting for the final release.

The soundtrack is made by Andrew Hulshult and it's freacking amazing.
I played it on hard, but I regret doing it. I should have gone a level up, to get more of a challenge.
Might play it again on very hard.

Here is the playlist for the soundtrack, on the youtube channel of Andrew Hulshult.

It seems Andrew Hulshult is making all the Soundtracks for every Doom shooter out there, lol.

TintoConCasera

It seems Andrew Hulshult is making all the Soundtracks for every Doom shooter out there, lol.
And that's a good thing! Loved his work on the ROTT remake and DUSK. Also made some good shit for the DOOM Eternal DLCs.

Last edited:

daninthemix

I kind of wish you could smooth the textures in Prodeus / turn on bilinear filtering or something. Game is great thught.

What shooters are next up?

Apocryphon

I played the first Project Warlock and thought it was alright. It reminded me of the original Wolfenstein more than something like Doom. Combat is fine, leveling is cool, enemy animations are very good, and there are a lot of levels. It's messy though and many of the levels are really short. It runs well on Switch and it looks gorgeous on the OLED, but there is something about the controls that feel off to me. If it's cheap enough then it's worth checking out.

The sequel plays very differently and is available in early access on PC. I'm really looking forward to the full release because what I have played of the early access game has been an absolute blast.

drotahorror

Maybe not quite a retro shooter but it definitely scratches that itch, bullet time, lots of enemies, arcade stylish shooting.

Severed Steel has another free update out and it includes a roguelike mode. Looks really fun!

Honestly, it's one of my favorite FPS's in the past 5 or so years.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Maybe not quite a retro shooter but it definitely scratches that itch, bullet time, lots of enemies, arcade stylish shooting.

Severed Steel has another free update out and it includes a roguelike mode. Looks really fun!

Honestly, it's one of my favorite FPS's in the past 5 or so years.

How does it compare to Severed Steel or Maximum Action?

drotahorror

How does it compare to Severed Steel or Maximum Action?
Well it IS Severed Steel :p Did you mean Project Downfall and Maximum Action?

NGL, Severed Steel is on another level compared to either of those. I enjoy both of the other games but SS is so smooth, the gunplay is some of the best in the genre, and it's just a lot more fun and focused.

VN1X

Banned
Well it IS Severed Steel :p Did you mean Project Downfall and Maximum Action?

NGL, Severed Steel is on another level compared to either of those. I enjoy both of the other games but SS is so smooth, the gunplay is some of the best in the genre, and it's just a lot more fun and focused.
Ooooh oops! I thought it was a game called "Rogue Steel" lol but I realize now that it's an updated. Was wondering why it looked so similar hah.

I have yet to play both mind you (I always like to give these types of games some more time in the oven) but am looking forward to jumping in soon.

drotahorror

Ooooh oops! I thought it was a game called "Rogue Steel" lol but I realize now that it's an updated. Was wondering why it looked so similar hah.

I have yet to play both mind you (I always like to give these types of games some more time in the oven) but am looking forward to jumping in soon.

Well Severed Steel 1.0 released last year and it's insanely polished and has just been getting more and more content updates since. Now is the perfect time to jump in.

drotahorror

Chapter 1 comes out today and will cost $10. It's 3-5 hours long. This is not early access and Chapter 2 will come later and probably cost around the same. Weird way of releasing and I can see that causing some confusion down the line. $10 will probably generate more sales than a higher price with the promise of Chapter 2 coming later down the road.

Last edited:

ryantetric

Neo Member
Cultic is fantastic so far. Between that and Prodeus I'm getting two different types of retro shooters and I'm loving it. Highly recommend Cultic especially right now for that Halloween spookiness.

TintoConCasera

No discount for Cultic, right? Was hoping for some but at the same time I don't mind waiting until chapter 2 gets released.

Also... DOOM! Been having some fun playing some mods like The Way Id Did and Ashes 2063.

Any other cool mod recommendations? I already know about Back to Saturn X, Eviternity and Ancient Aliens, but I'm sure there's tons more out there.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This looks insane in the best way possible. Thanks, man.

I think this is my new favourite thread. So much to discover. Being a hardcore Quake 1 fan, all these new dark shooters give me a hard on.

Have you tried their previous game Devil Daggers?
It’s permanently installed on my PC.

drotahorror

1.0 is finally out.

If you think Hotline Miami would be fun from a first person perspective, this is definitely for you.

Lots of violence and plenty of destructible environments with a huge dose of one of my favorite features in any game, bullet time.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

1.0 is finally out.

If you think Hotline Miami would be fun from a first person perspective, this is definitely for you.

Lots of violence and plenty of destructible environments with a huge dose of one of my favorite features in any game, bullet time.

Id like to play it if my eyes didnt bleed from that horrible oversaturated bloom. Looks horrid as shit.

Top Bottom