• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Gaming Thread

Bullet Club

A general thread for news, information and discussion about retro gaming.

This is a thread for retro stuff that doesn't deserve it's own thread. Tweets, old magazine articles or maybe you just want to post a few videos from one of your favourite games from the past.

With Live A Live coming out for the Switch soon, I immediately thought of tons of other Super Nintendo RPGs that never made it off the system. There are way more than I realized that never got ported, remastered or put onto the Virtual Console. Enjoy seeing all of these SNES RPGs!

The Epyx 1984 Preview Disk is one of the most interesting disks in my Commodore 64 collection. Not only is it a very early example of a video game company releasing playable, cut-down, or time-limited preview versions of its games, which later became an industry standard, but it's also a rare example of a Chromadisk, a unique manufacturing process that allowed full-colour printing directly on a disk jacket.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Just started this game the other day. I always wanted to play it and it's sequel - they made it backwards compatible with the last BC update for Xbox Series/Xbone. I'm nearly at the end (mission 25), this guy must be good to beat it in 3 hours

It's a From Software game btw

nani17

are in a big trouble
Anyone here collect retro stuff? I used to be a big collector but I sort of slowed down over the years.

My systems.

Commodore 64
Atari 5200St (found in a skip)
Super Nintendo
Nintendo Gameboy
Sega Master System
Sega Mega Drive
Sega mega Drive 2
Sega Game Gear
Nintendo Game Boy colour (mutli versions including pokemon edition)
Nintendo Gameboy Micro (3 or 4)
Sega Dreamcast
PlayStation 1
PlayStation 2 (multiple versions)
PSP 3000
PlayStation 3(slim and big OG)
PlayStation Vita
PlayStation 4
PlayStation 5
Xbox 360(multiple version slim arcade etc)
Nintendo 64
Nintendo Game Cube
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS lite.
Nintendo wii
Nintendo switch lite

Off the top of my head at work at the moment.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
Anyone here collect retro stuff? I used to be a big collector but I sort of slowed down over the years.

My systems.

Commodore 64
Super Nintendo
Nintendo Gameboy
Sega Master System
Sega Mega Drive
Sega mega Drive 2
Sega Dreamcast
PlayStation 1
PlayStation 4
PlayStation 5
Nintendo 64
Nintendo DS
Nintendo switch lite
Nintendo DS lite.

I used to collect for all systems going back to N64/PSX but I sold off a lot of stuff. These are my current consoles:

- PS2 (fat boy)
- PS3 (slim)
- PS5
- Xbox Series X
- Nintendo Switch (regular)

I also have a PSP 3000, PSP Go, PS Vita & DS. My latest retro purchases were around 7 PS2 games - Chaos Legion, God Hand, Onimusha Warlords, Onimusha 2, Onimusha 3, Onimusha Dawn of Dreams, Viewtiful Joe, & Viewtiful Joe 2 (all complete except Viewtiful Joe 1 which is missing the manual). I also bought Otogi & Otogi 2 (both complete) for Xbox.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
A book I would highly recommend for those that like retro gaming.

71JtTbppyAL.jpg

Y0ssarian

Banned
Of course, one of my favorite franchise!

For me I would say 2->1->3->4

The soundtrack of all 4 game are some of the best too!

Interesting ranking. If you would, please elaborate why you ranked them that way. I have only played 1 & 2. I am looking forward to 3 & 4 because they ditch the tank controls. I am seriously thinking about starting 3 next straight away, but maybe I should take a little break. The music and atmosphere of the games is very memorable! Thank you

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
A book I would highly recommend for those that like retro gaming.

I have the first, might ask for 2 for Christmas. The exploded diagrams are really neat.

SeraphJan

Interesting ranking. If you would, please elaborate why you ranked them that way. I have only played 1 & 2. I am looking forward to 3 & 4 because they ditch the tank controls. I am seriously thinking about starting 3 next straight away, but maybe I should take a little break. The music and atmosphere of the games is very memorable! Thank you
I would avoid spoiler as much as possible.

For 3 the control did improve, the puzzle was also improved, but it was an enhanced experience of 1, instead of following what made 2 good, I like the friendship mechanic in 2 a lot. And I personally prefer the setting in 1 and 2 compare to 3, but you can't go wrong with 3 its an awesome game.

For 4, this game was made by a different team, they basically build the game from ground up, a different genre compare to the first 3 game, it plays more like a JRPG with leveling system and anime style dialogue, they diched the Metroidvania level design for a Stage based one. The difficulty in 4 was also simplified for casual audience (Issen is much easier to perform too), the boss pattern is also pretty monotonous, overall expect it to be a JRPG with a lots of grinding, the game is pretty good from a JRPG perspective.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Oh yeah this video was a LOOOONG time in the making. Sit back and enjoy a retrospective of a game that's been in my vault for a while... Redline! An FPS Car Combat hybrid released in 1999 that, as best as I can tell, has been mostly forgotten to time. Let's actually dive into this game and see what it's been hiding from us for all these years...

Bullet Club

The MX4SIO project is a newer development we've seen in recent years which allows users to adapt a SD card or microSD card for use on the PS2's Memory Card port. While this isn't intended to be a replacement for a Memory Card, one of the biggest benefits we look at in this review is the ability to load PS2 games through the Memory Card port using OPL! While OPL has several great methods of loading PS2 games through an internal hard drive, network share, or a USB drive, the last one mentioned there seems to be a favorite despite slower read speeds. This project changes that by combining the convenience of USB loading with higher read speeds, eliminating longer loading times and choppy FMV playback known to plague USB loading.

This review specifically delves into Helder's own take on the MX4SIO with the MC2SIO, a $20 USD pre-built solution that can be used for OPL and loading PS2 games once you bring your own properly configured microSD card. Helder's Game Tech was awesome enough to send one of these over to the channel to review, so in this video we take a look at his MC2SIO adapter and see if this thing is really worth the money?

Bullet Club

The Game Chasers are two friends hunting for retro video games in flea markets, garage sales, game stores, and people's homes! Season 5 has some of the most iconic moments of the entire show such as the Memphis break-in, THAT's MY PLAYSTATION, the extremely cringe Atari ST song, the Chris vs Jay Sega CD feud, and the haunted game store basement. Strap in for more fun and games while the guys hunt down some amazing and incredible deals on old vintage and retro gaming gold!

Anyone know if the Saturn internal memory is enough to hold any game? I feel like I read that one of the Shining Force 3 games used a huge amount, but I'm just trying to figure out if I can just use the internal or if I need one of those carts. I don't really need or want to save the games long term, just what I'm playing at the time.

SpiceRacz

Anyone know if the Saturn internal memory is enough to hold any game? I feel like I read that one of the Shining Force 3 games used a huge amount, but I'm just trying to figure out if I can just use the internal or if I need one of those carts. I don't really need or want to save the games long term, just what I'm playing at the time.

I think Daniel Thomas MacInnes Daniel Thomas MacInnes would know. He's the Saturn expert around these parts.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Great thread. I am a former/reformed collector.

I collected a lot starting from the early 2000s so I managed to get a lot of stuff when it was relatively cheap. Sold my whole collection around 2014-2015 because I moved a lot and I could never keep things connected and in use, so it was all in boxes.

I don't regret it because emulation for me is fine to play older classics. But I still love retro games and love seeing collections on GAF and stuff.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
DDfpZS1.png

Because nobody I know IRL cares, allow me to show my crappy IKEA display case with my most coveted artefacts.

Still missing two games in that Konami MSX series of white European boxes. Shown here are F-1 Spirit, Metal Gear, Penguin Adventure, Nemesis 2, Vampire Killer, King's Valley II and Treasure of Usas. Missing Salamander and Maze of Galious. These games defined my youth.

Bottom shelf are two X68000 games, TwinBee and Gradius II.

RAIDEN1

Amiga Mini around the corner! Who knew that the game-pad you would get with it, would end up being a LOT better than what you originally got with the CD32, why they couldn't design a gamepad like that to begin with we'll never know...

"You may be asking yourself: Is the Wii retro now?"

Hmmm, I was asking myself: Is the Wii retro now?

It probably is. Maybe.
I would rather not, it makes me too old 😭.

On the other hand when I got to be around 20 the 8/16-bit games got to be around 5$ each... For a little while the Saturn library as a whole was almost given away in video clubs and other places. Had I decided to get all the Saturn games I could find I'd be rich enough to buy a house now with the sales.

What I meant to say is that some kids who grew up with the Wii are now 20ish and they fell the same about the consoles they has as kids.

Last edited:

The speccy is a machine that I always considered too limited for good action games to happen on it... I think good and deep action adventure games at home became possible with the NES and possibly the c64.

The stuff before that, well I just can't go back to it, with a few exceptions like Donkey Kong on the Coleco Visio (the arcades are a different thing altogether).

Maybe this is because of what I grew up with? ... However I did have a 2600 for a while and my cousin got the Coleco Visio.

Bullet Club

The speccy is a machine that I always considered too limited for good action games to happen on it... I think good and deep action adventure games at home became possible with the NES and possibly the c64.
It was a limited in what it could do but in the right hands people could do good things with it. Ultimate Play The Game (Rare) made some good adventure and arcade games for the system.

lachesis

DDfpZS1.png

Because nobody I know IRL cares, allow me to show my crappy IKEA display case with my most coveted artefacts.

Still missing two games in that Konami MSX series of white European boxes. Shown here are F-1 Spirit, Metal Gear, Penguin Adventure, Nemesis 2, Vampire Killer, King's Valley II and Treasure of Usas. Missing Salamander and Maze of Galious. These games defined my youth.

Bottom shelf are two X68000 games, TwinBee and Gradius II.

That's the treasure tower right there! So envious!!!

SpiceRacz

Great thread. I am a former/reformed collector.

I collected a lot starting from the early 2000s so I managed to get a lot of stuff when it was relatively cheap. Sold my whole collection around 2014-2015 because I moved a lot and I could never keep things connected and in use, so it was all in boxes.

I don't regret it because emulation for me is fine to play older classics. But I still love retro games and love seeing collections on GAF and stuff.

Early 2000s were the golden years of collecting. I remember picking up all sorts of rare and valuable stuff for next to nothing. It wasn't uncommon at all to find huge lots of games and hardware on Craigslist or at yard sales. I miss those days.

I'm with you though. I gave up on that and strictly emulate older stuff now. I don't miss having 10 consoles hooked up at once.

My systems.

Commodore 64
Super Nintendo
Nintendo Gameboy
Sega Master System
Sega Mega Drive
Sega mega Drive 2
Sega Game Gear
Sega Dreamcast
PlayStation 1
PSP 3000
PlayStation Vita
PlayStation 4
PlayStation 5
Nintendo 64
Nintendo Game Cube
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS lite.
Nintendo wii
Nintendo switch lite

I don't collect them, as in going out and procuring old consoles, but I own about everything on your list and a ton more. I've just had basically all near launch and never got rid of them.

There are a few I never owned, such as the NeoGeo and Phillips CDi, but I've owned (and still own) almost every major console from the Intellivision to the Virtual Boy to the PS5/Series X.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This took a bit longer than anticipated to build last night due to some rather confusing instructions for the screen and some issues with the joystick (I plugged the connector in the wrong way round), but I'm pretty happy in the end.

QFgtdxu.jpg
Their support is amazing just message em if anything is wrong

Y0ssarian

Banned
I picked up Dynasty Warriors 3, 4 & 5 for PS2. 4 is supposed to be one of the best in the series. I tried to take a photo of em with my phone but the upload kept failing.

They came with thick, heavy manuals. I used to love looking at boxart and reading the manuals. Now if you're lucky you get a cheap 2 page warranty pamphlet in Koei Tecmo games.

OldBoyGamer

Banned

The stuff before that, well I just can't go back to it, with a few exceptions like Donkey Kong on the Coleco Visio (the arcades are a different thing altogether).

Maybe this is because of what I grew up with? ... However I did have a 2600 for a while and my cousin got the Coleco Visio.
Wow that’sa real shame.
The Speccy is still one of my favourite emulators to return to.

Jet set Willy
3D deathchase
Rambo
Head over heels (although the Amiga is my go to version for this tbf)
Batman (isometric)
Way of the exploding fist
Gauntlet (the OG Speccy version is so good and asking with deeper dungeons has more levels than you could play)
Target renegade
The great escape
Match point
Boulder dash
Cavernous
Nebulus
Saboteur
Frankie goes to Hollywood
Green better
Cobra

Just an endless list for me. There was something about the spectrum visuals that trigger high nostalgic love for me.

Top Bottom