• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Gaming Thread

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I miss when game design was this simple and still complete.

Bullet Club

Gold Member

In AD 2001, war was beginning. Sega left the hardware business, but the failure of the Dreamcast was about more than just Sega. It was the failure of the design philosophy that had, until this point, defined console gaming. Nintendo suffered under this new paradigm, while Microsoft rose up, and the PlayStation 2 thrived, becoming the hottest console the world has ever seen.

The industry would never be the same, and to find the silver lining in what it became instead would take a long time and a lot of growing up...

InfiniteCombo

Gold Member
Booted KoF '95 on Saturn again this past weekend. Man, I always have a blast with this game. I didn't take new pictures this time but I'm instead stealing my own pictures from the main Sega Saturn Community Thread.

A few screenshots:

One aspect that I love about this game -- its loading screens. Unlike later King of Fighters games on the Saturn, the ones here don't take very long, and they have A LOT of personality. So they use character portraits in the loading screens; the thing is, the character portraits are NOT the ones you already have in this game. They're different. For some characters, the portrait is from KoF 96 (the next entry); see Kyo's below. But for others, the portrait is custom (see King's portrait below). They're amazing, and I love them:

[EDIT]: The weird lines you see in the victory screen below -- they're TV refresh artifacts, and only there because it's a static picture.

That was such a fascinating period in gaming. Almost all the consoles released at that time were terrible (32X, CD-i, 3DO, Jaguar, CD32) but there was so much hype and excitement at the same time. Most gamers knew these systems were all a wast of money but the industry seemed blind to it.

I was a teenager at the time and we all just laughed at anyone we knew who wasted their money on these machines. However, the hype in the magazines was pretty intense. That was until the consoles actually came out at which point everyone realised they were all mouth and no trousers.

Rise of the Robots was the game that epitomised this era. It was hyped up to almost hysterical levels. The graphics were going to be photo realistic, the gameplay was going to piss all over Street Fighter 2 and the A.I. was going to be indistinguishable from a real human opponent. The whole thing cost a fortune to make and market (they even hired Brian May to do the music). And yet, when the game cam out it wasn't just bad, it was legitimately one of the worst games ever made. Shamefully, some magazines still gave it high scores which was surely the result of bribery.

Bullet Club

Gold Member
Rise of the Robots was the game that epitomised this era. It was hyped up to almost hysterical levels. The graphics were going to be photo realistic, the gameplay was going to piss all over Street Fighter 2 and the A.I. was going to be indistinguishable from a real human opponent. The whole thing cost a fortune to make and market (they even hired Brian May to do the music). And yet, when the game cam out it wasn't just bad, it was legitimately one of the worst games ever made. Shamefully, some magazines still gave it high scores which was surely the result of bribery.
A total stinker. I never liked the look of it though. It looked bland and personality free. Which it was.

The gameplay couldn't compete with International Karate on the C64 from 1985.

Daytonabot

In terms of vintage stuff, I only collect arcade stuff these days. Almost all of my old console stuff is long gone. I have a pair of Japanese candy cabinets, several fairly high-profile PCBs, and cartridges for Neo Geo MVS, ST-V, Taito F3, and Atomiswave.

TLZ

Gold Member
Anyone here collect retro stuff? I used to be a big collector but I sort of slowed down over the years.

My systems.

Commodore 64
Atari 5200St (found in a skip)
Super Nintendo
Nintendo Gameboy
Sega Master System
Sega Mega Drive
Sega mega Drive 2
Sega Game Gear
Nintendo Game Boy colour (mutli versions including pokemon edition)
Nintendo Gameboy Micro (3 or 4)
Sega Dreamcast
PlayStation 1
PlayStation 2 (multiple versions)
PSP 3000
PlayStation 3(slim and big OG)
PlayStation Vita
PlayStation 4
PlayStation 5
Xbox 360(multiple version slim arcade etc)
Nintendo 64
Nintendo Game Cube
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS lite.
Nintendo wii
Nintendo switch lite

Off the top of my head at work at the moment.
No love for NES?

Sephimoth

Basically stopped collecting these days apart from the odd item here and there. My main goal was to grab all the hits of the systems I loved growing up, and I've pretty much done that.
Playing them though is... very rare.

To get some use out of them I've been thinking of setting myself a goal: To play through all my Sega Saturn games that I own to completion.
I have probably like 30- would be nice to be able to say "I've finished my entire Saturn collection"

It'd mean subjecting myself to poorer versions of games I could play elsewhere like Resident Evil and Quake, but it is what it is

InfiniteCombo

Gold Member
Anyone here collect retro stuff? I used to be a big collector but I sort of slowed down over the years.

My systems.

Commodore 64
Atari 5200St (found in a skip)
Super Nintendo
Nintendo Gameboy
Sega Master System
Sega Mega Drive
Sega mega Drive 2
Sega Game Gear
Nintendo Game Boy colour (mutli versions including pokemon edition)
Nintendo Gameboy Micro (3 or 4)
Sega Dreamcast
PlayStation 1
PlayStation 2 (multiple versions)
PSP 3000
PlayStation 3(slim and big OG)
PlayStation Vita
PlayStation 4
PlayStation 5
Xbox 360(multiple version slim arcade etc)
Nintendo 64
Nintendo Game Cube
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS lite.
Nintendo wii
Nintendo switch lite

Off the top of my head at work at the moment.
I guess you can say I used to "collect," but it was with an express purpose of playing whatever systems/games I got.

I've got:
- SNES
- Super Famicom
- Genesis
- 2x Sega Saturn (1 US, 1 JP)
- Dreamcast
- PS2 (JP)
- Wii

And about 20-25 games for each system, except Genesis for which I only have about 10 games or so. Most of the games in my collection are of the moderate/pricey variety, as all games (except for the Super Nintendo ones) are all in pristine, complete-in-box condition, and some (like my PS2 Japanese collection of SNK fighting games, volumes 1 and 2) are pretty rare these days.

pachura

Initially, I kinda wanted to buy a A500 Mini, but in the end I installed Batocera on my Raspberry Pi 4 in an Argon ONE V2 case and I must say I'm very happy with it. The interface is nice & polished, stuff works out of the box, automatic scraping rocks, and I can play on the big screen with a DS4 controller, wirelessly. There's a lot of emulated platforms - apart from Amiga, I use ZX Spectrum, Atari 65XE/800XL, SNES, NeoGeo, ports of Diablo-Quake-Doom-Prince of Persia, and of course ScummVM games.

The only minor let-down is that there's a bug streaming audio to DS4's analog jack output, but I hope it'll be fixed one day (works on Recalbox).

Top Bottom