• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

Fredrik

Can PS2 games be played on the retail app?
I got everything working perfectly on PC on the stand alone PCSX2 emulator, but with PCSX2 on the retail Retroarch app with the same bios and rip I just get an unable to load content error. Everything is on the internal drive.

Last edited:

Banned
Can PS2 games be played on the retail app?
I got everything working perfectly on PC on the stand alone PCSX2 emulator, but with PCSX2 on the retail Retroarch app with the same bios and rip I just get an unable to load content error. Everything is on the internal drive.

what did you use to transfer your PCSX2 folder?

Fredrik

what did you use to transfer your PCSX2 folder?
PCSX2 was already included with the retail app so I thought I wouldn’t have to transfer anything, I just put the bios in System folder and game in Downloads folder. I have Retroarch 1.9.0 and 1.9.5. 1.9.0 show an error message, couldn’t load content I think. 1.9.5 either crash to the dash or into a black screen depending on if I use gl or drx12 drivers.

Banned
PCSX2 was already included with the retail app so I thought I wouldn’t have to transfer anything, I just put the bios in System folder and game in Downloads folder. I have Retroarch 1.9.0 and 1.9.5. 1.9.0 show an error message, couldn’t load content I think. 1.9.5 either crash to the dash or into a black screen depending on if I use gl or drx12 drivers.

the PS2 bios files need to go into the PCSX2's bios folder not into the system folder directly.
\LocalState\system\pcsx2\Bios

but just for clarification, after you installed retroarch, there already was a PCSX2 folder in the system folder of retroarch on your Xbox? that is weird to say the least...

edit: here is my PCSX2 folder that works for me using Retroarch 1.9.7 (obviously without any bios files)
DOWNLOAD

Last edited:

Banned
I'm considering buying a series x in the future. Is this still possible with new consoles or did I miss that boat

well currently you still can get whitelisted doing the steps shown in the first post of this thread. currently there is no way to get it without a whitelist, but honestly getting whitelisted atm. is very easy (you can do it now if you already have an Xbox account... and if you have an Xbox One you can even use Retroarch on that to play most emulators on it... only GameCube and PS2 will give you bad results on Xbox one, the rest works pretty well)

it takes about 24h at most usually until you are whitelisted and can download Retroarch on your Xbox from the link which is also in the first post of this thread.

Last edited:

Fredrik

the PS2 bios files need to go into the PCSX2's bios folder not into the system folder directly.
Series_Config\LocalState\system\pcsx2\Bios

but just for clarification, after you installed retroarch, there already was a PCSX2 folder in the system folder of retroarch on your Xbox? that is weird to say the least...

edit: here is my PCSX2 folder that works for me using Retroarch 1.9.7 (obviously without any bios files)
DOWNLOAD
Thank you! Now it’s working 😃
It was in the menu as a core you could load so I assumed all files were already there, but I had no pcsx2 folder under system.

Got to try Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance, once you were out of the tavern things ran almost full speed, but something in the tavern completely tanked the fps.

Banned
Thank you! Now it’s working 😃
It was in the menu as a core you could load so I assumed all files were already there, but I had no pcsx2 folder under system.

Got to try Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance, once you were out of the tavern things ran almost full speed, but something in the tavern completely tanked the fps.

just a few tips, stay at 1440p or below. standard Retroarch settings make it so that retroarch itself runs at and outputs 1080p anyway, if you wanna go above that you have to enable 4K support for Series consoles.
if you wanna have 4K output enabled go to Settings > Video > Fullscreen Mode > Force Resolution on UWP

and if you have slowdowns that you think are slower than the original game speed, try setting the "enable speedhacks" option, maybe set it to balanced or aggressive. balanced should work for most games, agressive can give issues, but it's worth a try
(remember tho, PS2 games also had slowdown on original hardware, so sometimes that's just how it is)

edit: also what is important to note, the way this UWP version of Retroarch saves settings can be irritating at times. I mentioned this in the OP tutorial, but if you change Retroarch settings, always go to Main Menu > Configuration File > Save Current Configuration and then close Retroarch and restart it. only then will you be sure that it actually saved all your changes.

if you change settings in a game, always scroll to the top of your settings and there click on the game options file and save it. if you did that once the emulator will have a settings file that always updates AFTER you close the game. so if you change settings in a game like Resolution and stuff, make sure to close the game inside retroarch.
it will save immediately the first time you create a game options file. in older builds you could manually save each time, but they changed that for some weird reason 🤷‍♂️

closing PS2 games can crash retroarch 1.9.5 and older on Xbox, which can be annoying

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
after downloading the whitelist version I highly suggest gettig that version btw.

its on version 1.9.7 (non whitelisted is 1.9.5) and has more up to date cores.

PS2 runs ridiculously good for me now in games that had slowdowns in 1.9.5

setting everything up again should be no issue, especially if you use most of your games via a usb drive. jusz copy/paste your playlists into the new install and it's all already set up for the most part.

you can also replace the PCSX2 memory cards with your old ones in the PCSX2 folder of your current install. save states from other consoles also can be carried over by just copying them over to the new version

the guy who does the whitelistings also provides a well made basic config file for both Xbox One and Series consoles (although some stuff isn't set up optimally. for example you should set the analog sensitivity in the input settings to 1.2 because some PS2 games will need that to function properly)
Interesting. Thought using RA69 was better because it uses all cores and the whitelisted version is an app so it doesn't.

Fredrik

just a few tips, stay at 1440p or below. standard Retroarch settings make it so that retroarch itself runs at and outputs 1080p anyway, if you wanna go above that you have to enable 4K support for Series consoles.
if you wanna have 4K output enabled go to Settings > Video > Fullscreen Mode > Force Resolution on UWP
That full screen option was the only way I could get it full screen top to bottom
rDejuBK.jpg

Without that I got a stretched image. But this is a PAL rip, don’t remember it it was stretched on original hardware, early PAL games had lots of issues like that.
Anyway maybe the higher resolution is why I got performance issues.

Banned
Interesting. Thought using RA69 was better because it uses all cores and the whitelisted version is an app so it doesn't.

no no no, the whitelisted version that I am talking about is a Game not an app. follow the steps in the OP and you'll get (currently) a Game listed version that is retroarch 1.9.7 with a pretty up to date PCSX2 core as well (that was literally patched in yesterday in fact)

an issue with whitelisted versions in general is that if you download a patch it can just break on you and you have to reinstall. it is rare but it can happen... so backing up saves once in a while is key if you wanna be save there.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Banned
That full screen option was the only way I could get it full screen top to bottom
rDejuBK.jpg

Without that I got a stretched image. But this is a PAL rip, don’t remember it it was stretched on original hardware, early PAL games had lots of issues like that.
Anyway maybe the higher resolution is why I got performance issues.

that Baldur's Gate water tho
GachiGASM.png

yeah like I said, stay below 1440p and try speed hack settings. the Balanced speed hack setting almost always works fine with games and gives you free performance basically

edit: here's what someone said on the PCSX2 wiki playing the PAL version: Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - PCSX2 Wiki

4 GB patched. 60 FPS almost all of the time.
-Texture filtering = Bilinear forced
- 3xNative rez
- 8-bit Texture = on
- Large Framebuffer = on
- Anisotropic = x16
- Accurate Blending = None
- Fast Texture invalidation on
- Half-pixel offset = Special (Texture).

With those settings the police characters are more visible and fire won't slow the emulation. Played half the game in coop dwarf/mage with no problems

maybe this helps too :)

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
How do N64 games play? Thats all I care about. I assume N64 emulation is crappy? Its been awhile since ive emulated N64 but it was always pretty bad.
I have been playing F Zero X + Expansion Kit (the modified ROM to include the Expansion Kit in an English copy of the game) and it is a mixed experience. It plays perfectly well and always maintains 60fps during gameplay on Xbox One X. However, there are some visual glitches on the menus and the result screens and sometimes it does not load the music for the title screen. It also has a strange hicup on start up. However, the actual gameplay is perfect (outside of the fact that the Xbox One analog stick is way too loose to play F Zero X, I have had to relearn from novice, even though I can easily and reliably beat master on n64 and have beaten all staff ghosts). It appears the devs have put a lot of emphasis on what is really important, but a perfect emulation it is not.

Also, I still havethe version originally promoted in the op and it still works. Do I have to do anything to make sure it does not stop working like with others? Has Microsoft done anything to existing installations?

Banned
Also, I still havethe version originally promoted in the op and it still works. Do I have to do anything to make sure it does not stop working like with others? Has Microsoft done anything to existing installations?

so far this never happened, I had a whitelisted version from january on my Xbox that was taken offline months ago and it still worked without issue. the only issue you have is that should you ever want to get a newer version you will need to reinstall from a different source and backup + copy all of your saves, playlists etc. over to the new install by hand.
but if you do that once you will be really quick the next time.

or of course you could move your saves and playlists folders so that the install doesn't affect it at all... but I'm not sure how well that works, I know that having big ISO files and BIOS files in different folders than the default ones can cause issues with some cores.

Last edited:

WoJ

I'm curious - for those who have spent any time playing Wii games in Retroarch on the Series X....is there any way to like configure the controller to account for turns? Like I was trying to play through the Loopdeeloop Galaxy and couldn't get the control scheme to register me turning the remote? I'm not sure if it can be done, or if I had something set up wrong.

nkarafo

I have been playing F Zero X + Expansion Kit (the modified ROM to include the Expansion Kit in an English copy of the game) and it is a mixed experience.
For the life of me, i never managed to make this thing work in RetroArch. I asked the forums, reddit, etc, never got an answer.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
For the life of me, i never managed to make this thing work in RetroArch. I asked the forums, reddit, etc, never got an answer.
I just used the combined ROM from that 64dd website. Just loaded with the standard config.

nkarafo

I just used the combined ROM from that 64dd website. Just loaded with the standard config.
And i was trying to load the carts + disks somehow... :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Anyway, seems to work perfectly on PC. I haven't seen the issues you mentioned yet. I'm using Mupen64pls-next with Parallel RDP/RSP and 2x upscale.

Last edited:

Sintoid

Hi everybody again.
Can anyone tell me the path where I have to put the PPSSPP Asset folder?
I managed to find all I need but when I connect by FTP to XSS Hard Drive I can't locate Retroarch installation folder...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

Calverz

If there is a ps2 game that’s less than 2gb, can it run off the usb stick? I really want to have quake 3 revolution run off stick. I think it’s less than 2gb??

Banned
For PS2 do I have to use FTP program if I have the file explore app on my xbox?

every ISO that is 2GB or bigger, you will need access and place the game in the "downloads" folder inside the retroarch install folder.

there is a file explorer app on the Store (paid, but a 24h trial is available) that can access every folder on the system.

but if you don't have that app you will need to FTP files over into that folder.

if the file is smaller than 2GB you can place the game in any folder you want. meaning any file explorer can be used, you just need to place it in any folder you have access to.

I also highly recommend to compress your PS2 games. I have had stutters in video sequences when using unimpressed ISO files.
Retroarch had a way easier time loading and seeking data when the game is compressed it seems

edit: some might not know how to compress PS2 games easily, so here's how:

download this .zip: LINK
and use the 2 files included in this .zip to easily turn your .iso games into .chd files

here is how, it's pretty easy:

first create a folder and place the 2 files included in the .zip and your .iso file in this new folder like this
example3rkx2.png

and double click on "Cue or ISO to CHD.bat"

a command line window will open that will show you the progress of your compressing

after chdman did its job you will find the (sometimes) way smaller .chd file in your folder
example2xgkui.png

Last edited:

wvnative

Well its dead for me, last xbox update killed the ability to read certain external drives...and that includes mine. FTP is too much of a hassle.

I believe this to be a bug but god only knows when or if it will be fixed...

Fun while it lasted though :/

Banned
Wait! Does pcsx2 support chd files now on Xbox?!

yeah, it always did from my knowledge

Well its dead for me, last xbox update killed the ability to read certain external drives...and that includes mine. FTP is too much of a hassle.

I believe this to be a bug but god only knows when or if it will be fixed...

Fun while it lasted though :/

wait what? does anyone else have this issue?

also, FTP is very easy, just as easy as copying filed onto your USB drive

wvnative

It's slow as hell and your restricted to the 16gb storage.

According to some folks I talked to on the discord server, it's drives with a certain kind of enclosure? I'm using an old samsung T5 I think?

Next week I will try to mess around, see if i can dig up a different external drive, don't wanna fool with it this weekend.

Banned
It's slow as hell and your restricted to the 16gb storage.

According to some folks I talked to on the discord server, it's drives with a certain kind of enclosure? I'm using an old samsung T5 I think?

Next week I will try to mess around, see if i can dig up a different external drive, don't wanna fool with it this weekend.

the 16GB restriction is only in place if you place your files inside the retroarch install folder, which is only necessary if your game file is bigger than 2GiB (in which case you would always need to FTP them into that folder anyways)

everything smaller than that can be placed in other foldes, like your "Documents" or "Music" folders of your Xbox profile. as far as I know there is no limit on those, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

wvnative

the 16GB restriction is only in place if you place your files inside the retroarch install folder, which is only necessary if your game file is bigger than 2GiB (in which case you would always need to FTP them into that folder anyways)

everything smaller than that can be placed in other foldes, like your "Documents" or "Music" folders of your Xbox profile. as far as I know there is no limit on those, but I'm not sure.
I thought the 16GB restriction was global?

Even if I am wrong, still sucks compared to a 500gb SSD loaded up with classics that can be instantly accessed.

Banned

Even if I am wrong, still sucks compared to a 500gb SSD loaded up with classics that can be instantly accessed.

true. I also use an external drive, except for PS2, GC, Wii and stuff that's over 2GiB of course.

I'm not sure about that global size limit tho. I would need to test that some time. I kinda doubt it tho, because how would the console limit that? because you are loading files ono different folders, including one inside an app's install path.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Just to chime in here. It's not available anymore is it?

I downloaded it onto one of my series S consoles, which my son now has, but I wouldnt have minded getting it again. Is there a way?

Esppiral

I have 500gb external and everything under 2gb can be loaded from that so everything up to the game cube and many small ps2 and Wii games, larger games are stored in the internal.

Last edited:

Calverz

Just to chime in here. It's not available anymore is it?

I downloaded it onto one of my series S consoles, which my son now has, but I wouldnt have minded getting it again. Is there a way?
Yea I just accidentally deleted mine. Managed to copy the app from my series s but now wont boot. Do you need to get whitelisted in such events?
I don’t want to bother with dev version.

Esppiral

I've tried with 3 games converted to .chd, none works, everytime a boot a ps2 game converted to .chd it kicks my out to the Dashboard, it doesn't work on Retroarch for PC or PCSX2 either...

Last edited:

Crew511A

where did you copy them to? which folder?

for games that are small you should get a USB drive to load them from. can be a simple USB stick that doesn't completely suck... I use a super old one and it runs just fine

I haven't read in advance, so I apologize if this is covered later. If after I get whitelisted, can I just add the bios and backups to a USB card, and side load them into Retroarch that way? What would be the best way to get them into the correct folders?

Banned
I've tried with 3 games converted to .chd, none works, everytime a boot a ps2 game converted to .chd it kicks my out to the Dashboard, it doesn't work on Retroarch for PC or PCSX2 either...

That screenshot I posted above is literally the .chd file I use to play Urban Chaos on my Series X...

I haven't read in advance, so I apologize if this is covered later. If after I get whitelisted, can I just add the bios and backups to a USB card, and side load them into Retroarch that way? What would be the best way to get them into the correct folders?

the only way to load bios files into the correct folder using USB is by using the "My Files Explorer" app from the Microsoft store. it's the only file explorer that seems to have access to evey partition in the system.

it is a paid app, but you can download a trial that works for 24h, enough time to load the bioses over once I guess.

otherwise FTP transfer should be used

Crew511A

That screenshot I posted above is literally the .chd file I use to play Urban Chaos on my Series X...

the only way to load bios files into the correct folder using USB is by using the "My Files Explorer" app from the Microsoft store. it's the only file explorer that seems to have access to evey partition in the system.

it is a paid app, but you can download a trial that works for 24h, enough time to load the bioses over once I guess.

otherwise FTP transfer should be used
Thanks man. I applied for a whitelist today, and I'm pretty excited to give this a shot.

Banned
Thanks man. I applied for a whitelist today, and I'm pretty excited to give this a shot.

zo transfer stuff, I would highly recommend using an FTP client, it's way more straight forward. I explained everything in the OP, shouldn't be too hard.

it's under the spoiler Tag "FTP - How to transfer files from PC"

I recommend using FileZilla as the client on PC, as that one seems to be reliable, I had issues with others that scrambled files around and transferred them in the wrong folders and stuff like that.

if you don't have a PC, you can also get FTP apps on Android, but I am no expert in these

Crew511A

Ok, I finally got around to getting this done. I put my Saturn bios in Localfolder/17257Goldfox.Retroarch/localstate/system which seems to be the only place in the Local Folder for it to go.

I put my Saturn bios in U/users/usermgr0/documents. When I try to load my game, I get a fail to load error, Yabause says the core doesn't support VFS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Crew511A

Ugh. Can't edit my last comment. Looks like I had a bad rom type. SF Zero 3 seems to load fine...until I get to the screen telling me I need a 4MB cart. Google was no help here.

Calverz

Ok got it back. The whitelisted method. Actually better from what I can tell. One question though, I'm trying to save my res settings when playing ps2 games. But every time I close content the app crashes. This normally wouldn't bother me, but it means it doesn't save my resolution settings. So I'm stuck with ps2 native res. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind. Figured it out. Got to select save game options instead of core override.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Is there any core video or other method to watch videos inside the app? The app already have the function to watch pictures and listen music but why not videos?

Banned
Is there any core video or other method to watch videos inside the app? The app already have the function to watch pictures and listen music but why not videos?

why exactly do you want to do that?

if you just want to have an app to watch mp4 files etc., theres a VLC app in the store that can play basically every video and audio file format under the sun

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
why exactly do you want to do that?

if you just want to have an app to watch mp4 files etc., theres a VLC app in the store that can play basically every video and audio file format under the sun
Because of doing that you can upload any content to Xbox Live like 1 year ago when Microsoft ended the option of the Xbox app on w10. Now this is possible again with this app, but only with pictures.

There are users that are doing that with this app and have no interest of playing games.

Calverz

anybody have links for ps1 and ps2 bios that 100 percent work properly?
No no no. That would be illegal to share.
Which retroarch did you download? Hve u watched the videos in op?
Duckstation may crash depending if ur pushing the clock speed of games etc.

IIRC you only need ps2 bios if ur using the white listed retroarch

Top Bottom