• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro/Emulator thread - What are you gaming? (Picture heavy)

Krathoon

I just bought a mini pc that is a great emulation box. It can emulate up to a PS3. It also has Windows 11 so you can run the latest emulators.
I got it for $329. I put a cheap 4TB SSD in it.
Here it is:

I noticed that Dolphin was stuttering a little bit. I may have to enable dual cores on it. Really, I got a hacked Wii setup for that stuff.

Nydius

I’ve been goofing off with my new laptop today just to see what it’s capable of and since Nintendo doesn’t want to take my money a third time, I’m content here…

tXZ7Sc6.jpg

Krathoon

Stuff like the Odroid N2+ and Raspberry Pi really don't run the latest version of the emulators. I messed around with those and got tired of the bugs.

It is best to just use a Windows device.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Nydius

I have Nintendo Online. I’m honest.
I'll gladly be "honest" as soon as they give me the ability to play games like F-Zero GX and Wind Waker HD without needing to buy overpriced, antiquated hardware to be able to do so. I'd straight up throw another $60 at Nintendo if they ported the Wii U Wind Waker HD to a Switch cart, and I'd throw them money if they'd give me a legitimate updated port of F-Zero GX with the AX arcade stuff unlocked at the start in an arcade mode.

But since they are doing neither, well, I'll do what I have to.

Launchbox plus a batallion of emulators (most through RetroArch with them shiny Megabezel...bezels) on my main PC hooked up to the big screen, Emudeck on the Steamdeck (that shit can play(!) PS3-games #mindblown), a dedicated Emu-handheld (Powkiddy Max 10) with custom firmware), several "tinker"-Raspberrys from 0 to 4 (the 4 is hooked up to an old shitty CRT and it is glorious!).

These days i am mostly playing the Launchbox-Organizing-Game, so everything will look neat in... let's say 5 to 7 years... XD

BryceNobody

I'd straight up throw another $60 at Nintendo if they ported the Wii U Wind Waker HD to a Switch cart

Same boat (pun intended). It boggles my mind how WW HD still hasn’t shown up on Switch yet.

That seems like easy money.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I got a Miyoo Mini Plus, and installed Onion OS on it.

oX53wnl.png

3.5 inch screen, a solid Dpad, buttons feel good. Back layout of L1/L2/R1/R2 feels a bit funky, but it works. Great battery life. Plays damn near everything up through PS1 games. It's a handheld that actually fits in my hand, and a pocket device that actually fits in my pocket.

My must-have feature: wifi. The backend for Onion OS is Retroarch, so having wifi gives me the ability to earn Retro Achievements.

Although it's a bit of a pain to rip all my carts and play them on something like this, and the emulation isn't 100% accurate like an FPGA handheld, I'm glad I got this instead of the Analogue Pocket - because the convenience of the size of the device is great (and the fact that it plays stuff like SNES and Genesis games is a bonus).

Definitely worth the $80 going rate

Quasicat

Ive switched to 100% original hardware with upscaler: RetroTINK 5X.
Either Scart cables or HD retrovision component cables.
Spent the past 8 years or so restoring my consoles.

Cant do the emulation thing - I need the real deal. Everytime I go with an emulator something just feels wrong.
My Wii U, now without a working Gamepad, has become my dedicated hdmi Wii and GameCube with the tap that came out with Smash Bros. I can still play the Zelda games and others that use the Pro controller, but there’s just something about playing on original hardware with the original controllers. I don’t even worry about upscaling as much since many of the games still look decent at 480p.

gIbnZBk.jpg
wHaQWvC.jpg
kbgCFQB.jpg

Miyoo Mini Plus, up and running with Onion OS.

This thing is great, exactly what I'd hoped for. As someone fairly novice at this sort of stuff, the support online made everything very easy. My plan is to finally play FF6 and Chrono Trigger, and then make my way through some of the PS1 titles I missed like Xenogears. If you're looking for a mobile option that's beginner friendly and don't want to spend too much, I highly recommend it.

Most of my gaming these days is retro stuff. I have an older Lenovo desktop hooked up to my TV that boots directly into EmulationStation. It has every major console, handheld, and lots of obscure consoles as well.

Also doing a lot of emulation on this thing.

anbernic-rg351p-aria-of-sorrow-v0-0g8bc221tjt91.jpg

I have three retro handhelds. Two anbernics and one retroid pocket. They are pretty nice. And lately I bought an SN30 Pro controller from 8bitdo and it works great with my emulators.

RG280V
images

RG351P
srllfr1666318092285.jpg

Retroid Pocket 2 +

Retroid-Pocket-2-plus.jpg

SN30 Pro

green-l.jpg

Last edited:

Quasicat

They will be glad to Know that I've finished Super Mario Galaxy on my Xbox series X @4k 60 FPS.
Out of curiosity, since I just put my Series X into dev mode…did you use the stand alone Dolphin or is Retroarch now running that well with Wii/GameCube games?

Esppiral

Out of curiosity, since I just put my Series X into dev mode…did you use the stand alone Dolphin or is Retroarch now running that well with Wii/GameCube games?
The retroarch core runs perfectly fine, the standalone version does not recognize the controllers for me.

Krathoon

I found out a neat thing on the PCSX2 Emulator. On Capcom Collection and Sonic Mega Collection, you have an annoying filter on the games.
You can disable it in the graphics settings on the emulator. Just right click on the game and set the filter to none in the graphics settings.

Now, they are HD sharp.

Krathoon

One annoying thing about the Mister is that it is kind of anal retentive on the images of PlayStation 1 games.
You have to have the multi track bins on them.
Duckstation kind of wins out because it supports multiple formats.

It is kind of irritating because you have to get the right format for the games.

I only ran into one game where it was a problem and that was Silhouette Mirage. It would not play the music until I had the tracks in separate bins.

Quasicat

The retroarch core runs perfectly fine, the standalone version does not recognize the controllers for me.
Thank you! I have been able to do controls on the Wii on the stand alone, but only the sideways way. Any other way required copying files from my PC which is a monumental pain in the butt. I like how you can change the Wii controls on the fly with Retroarch.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I first posted this in communties which was a mistake. This looks like as good of a place as any other to put this. I recently procured an Anbernic RG Nano and man is it fucking awesome. Look at how tiny this fully functional retro handheld is.

qTiLjMI.jpg

This thing is so small that it can live in your pocket. I have some small handhelds (OG Miyoo Mini & Miyoo Mini+), and I still find myself deciding not to bring them with me due to them taking up space in my pockets. That is almost never an issue anymore.

x1RJ66f.jpg

You might say to yourself, "Self, I could not imagine playing on something so small". Well I am here to tell you that you are probably right, but you don't have to imagine because this thing is real and awesome.

Jf0X2RP.jpg

I can easily get a few minutes of pinball or Kirby's Block Ball in while I am waiting on my wife to try on pants. There are a bunch of rpg's and puzzle games that can be played with one hand, I have even played around with some GBA racing games. They feel great due to the Nano's responsive d-pad and precise buttons. It also sports two shoulder buttons that are super clicky and great to fiddle with.

LKnkUmG.jpg

j06yDxa.jpg

bMubr65.jpg

I just wanted to share how much fun I have been having with this thing. I have always been fascinated with anything "pocket sized", and this fits the bill perfectly. I attempted to resize the images and they still turned out looking huge on my laptop, so my bad. One word of note, I have a custom version of Funkey OS installed because the default launcher succckkss.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Nintendo 64 with Ultra HDMI V2 mod with Everdrive 64 X7 and NSO N64 Controller with BlueRetro N64 adapter:
N64_HDMI_Mod_Upgrade_RetroFixes_11_fff410d9-62a5-40d4-b4c7-b24d7c505071_1024x1024.jpg
everdrive-64-x7-cart-and-case1-350x350.jpg

51OsW5ujpOL._AC_UL232_SR232,232_.jpg
finally-got-the-switch-n64-controller-v0-1zxmvqkdznx91.png

Super NT for SNES:
2-super-nt-black-1508162382133.jpg

Analogue Pocket for Game Boy (Color) / Game Boy Advance(though it can play NES/SNES/Master System/Genesis and more too since the latest FW update):
0x0.jpg

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Nintendo 64 with Ultra HDMI V2 mod with Everdrive 64 X7 and NSO N64 Controller with BlueRetro N64 adapter:
N64_HDMI_Mod_Upgrade_RetroFixes_11_fff410d9-62a5-40d4-b4c7-b24d7c505071_1024x1024.jpg
everdrive-64-x7-cart-and-case1-350x350.jpg

51OsW5ujpOL._AC_UL232_SR232,232_.jpg
finally-got-the-switch-n64-controller-v0-1zxmvqkdznx91.png

Super NT for SNES:
2-super-nt-black-1508162382133.jpg

Analogue Pocket for Game Boy (Color) / Game Boy Advance(though it can play NES/SNES/Master System/Genesis and more too since the latest FW update):
0x0.jpg
The Analogue is such a sexy device. I prefer emulation but I really am envious of the hardware.

I have the Mega Drive Everdrive which has been fantastic. I have never used my Genesis as much as I do now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom