• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro chads heed my call - buying a Wii in 2022

Cyberpunkd

I want cheap as hell console to play stupid stuff with my kids (they are very small).

I don’t have time to play games regularly, so no point trying to sell me on Switch, PS5 and Xbox Series (sold XSX twice).

I have OLED TV.

How do I go about it? Should I get the Wii Mini? Should I get one of those dongles that promises the games not to look like poo on an HD TV?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Wii of course has Wii sports you can trust for long amounts of fun
wii GIF

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1338102505...Zr3r63GSoa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

reinking

Gold Member
Find a local used game retailer. Go nuts. I like the idea of the mini consoles but for me nothing beats the originals.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Wii is great for emulation. Specially if you have a gamepad from the Snes Mini, since it's compatible.

Last edited:
you need some goofy ass HDMI adapter. i can't play my PS2 on my OLED unless i get one. i have an old TV with a scart/component for PS2 so i just use that.

i suppose you can also get a wii u for cheap...

Last edited:

TexMex

Post if you find an adapter that’s decent. I’ve tried several options (mainly for GameCube) and can never get it to look quite right. Even tried some pretty pricy ones. Not sure how people do it.

jaysius

Banned
If you have time: get a small PC box, load it with emulators and your kids will have the best time ever.

Something like this or maybe even a little more powerful:

Much better waste of money, good Wii games will be overpriced and haven’t aged well, the upscaling and other emulator tricks will fix some of the rougher edges.

WiiU would be my recommendation as well. I have one that’s hacked so I can play any GC, Wii, the WiiU game I want. There’s some games on the WiiU that are on the Switch but the Switch versions don’t really upgrade them in any way so it may make more sense to just get the cheaper WiiU versions.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I still can't find real Wiimotes for decent prices or almost at all, you'd think with the millions they manufactured it would be easy but nope. My originals weren't stored properly and have some input issues with the attachments/motions, I wanted to use them on PC and got a Dolphin Bar and all...

I guess you may find the consoles for OK prices (probably not though, they're marked up as well) and they include controllers but then if you want multiplayer for the kids you'll need more of them anyway and they will be hard to get. So yeah, Wii would be the perfect system if not for scalpers...

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I want cheap as hell console to play stupid stuff with my kids (they are very small).

I don’t have time to play games regularly, so no point trying to sell me on Switch, PS5 and Xbox Series (sold XSX twice).

I have OLED TV.

How do I go about it? Should I get the Wii Mini? Should I get one of those dongles that promises the games not to look like poo on an HD TV?

The worst mistake you can make is buying a Wii mini. Buy the dark version or the original.

And I confirm, the Nintendo Wii looks horrible on an OLED screen.

With a Black Wii, and do magic tricks with the Hard Drive to have games that never made it to the West like Disaster.

It is the console that I use the least... I only bought it because I had won a contest for a complete Rockband bundle

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Had good times with my Wii

Easy to soft mod

Doesn’t have a way to hook up to my TV with just HDMI without an adapter

Sits in the closet

LRKD

Thrift store used to be an amazing place to find wiis, and 6th gen consoles. They'd be $10-20, and a common find. But now any time I see anything at thrift stores in my area the prices are insane, and it's filled with people just flocking to resell everything. Probably best off looking on eBay, or local listings on like craigslist or offer up or whatever.

Edit: Also seconding the people mentioning the Wii U, it has a hdmi port on it, still easy to hack, has Splatoon. Only - is that it is probably a lot more money than a Wii.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I purchased a wii to hdmi converter cable and it works OK. My Samsung does not like the resolution and I sometimes have issues with the display working properly. When it does work, it's about as good as you would expect with a 4k TV displaying wide-screen 480p.

I have OLED TV.

No point in wasting even 1$ on a Wii machine unless you're a collector. Its emulated almost flawlessly on PC and the WiiU is backwards compatible. And since you'll be playing only occasionally with your kids, i suspect you'll soon loose interest and so will your kids later down the line.

Modded Wii U's are cheap as hell and you can do a ton of stuff on them to play around with your kids. You'll have access to every Nintendo library conceivable up to, and including the Wii U. Get one with the Wii stuff (the mote, the sensor, etc.) and you can play everything on it.

lachesis

Thing about Wii... is that it requires analogue AV connection (unless OP has some way around it), and that dang sensor thing.

Wii U is even worse for the connection wise, that it requires power brick for the system, and the separate pad + sensor and wii motes etc... It's just very bulky and cumbersome whenever I ever try to remove/relocate the system. It's pretty bad for me because I have a lot of other systems connected to my basement TV, so the wiring gets pretty messy. :( What I'm saying is in order to play just Wii game, you would need to carry a lot of "stuff" or "junk"....

I think Switch and Wii Sports for switch probably would look the best for the OLED as well. Simpler setup + being able to play newer games also be good...

Cyberpunkd

No point in wasting even 1$ on a Wii machine unless you're a collector. Its emulated almost flawlessly on PC and the WiiU is backwards compatible. And since you'll be playing only occasionally with your kids, i suspect you'll soon loose interest and so will your kids later down the line.

Modded Wii U's are cheap as hell and you can do a ton of stuff on them to play around with your kids. You'll have access to every Nintendo library conceivable up to, and including the Wii U. Get one with the Wii stuff (the mote, the sensor, etc.) and you can play everything on it.
Won’t it be gimped since Eshop is shutting down in March next year?

Won’t it be gimped since Eshop is shutting down in March next year?

Nope, its online functionality is of no concern at all because its modded and the floodgates are open for all sorts of things you could do on it. Personally (and i am contemplating getting one) I wouldn't care about the Eshop or whatever closing down on that machine because that's not why i would get it. I'd just get a modded one because they're cheap, offering access to everything Nintendo has ever made (besides the Switch and onward), and because why not 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom