• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-Bit releasing offficially licensed "BIG6" 6-button controller for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and modern systems

Agent X

Retro-Bit has already produced officially licensed reproductions of the Sega Genesis 6-Button Arcade Pad and the Sega Saturn controller for the original systems, as well as USB and wireless variations for modern platforms. Now, they have announced a new controller called BIG6, which blends design aspects of the original 3-button Genesis controller along with the button layout of the 6-Button Arcade Pad.

0Wi5qZS.jpg

There are three versions of the BIG6 controller being developed:
  • A version with a cable that plugs into the original Sega Genesis and Mega Drive systems will be available in October for $16.99.
  • A version with a wired USB cable for use with modern platforms (PC, Mac, Switch, Sega Genesis Mini) will also be available in October for $19.99.
  • A wireless version will be released in November for $34.99. The package will include two receivers: one that connects to Genesis/Mega Drive, and another that connects to modern platforms using USB.

The BIG6 for Genesis and Mega Drive has the general form factor of the original 3-button controller, but with the additional buttons X, Y, Z, and Mode) from the 6-Button Arcade Pad. The Start button was moved above the 6-button layout and made more flush so that only intended inputs would register, to avoid accidental pausing. The USB and wireless versions will also have a similar left-side shoulder button, as well as Home and Select buttons beneath the controller to keep the clean and sleek design.

More information can be found at the official site:

https://retro-bit.com/big6

baphomet

That thing is actually pretty sick.

Finally something more in line with the official wireless 6 buttons, and not those shitty mini controllers everything is based on these days.

Prekk

Neo Member
Hopefully this one is better.

I bought the other sega gamepads from retro-bit before.
Apart from the face buttons those were really subpar. I compared them to my old original controllers.
The d-pads and shoulder buttons, especially the shoulder buttons on the saturn gamepad, are awful on those replicas. Not at all like the originals.

CdnUv4d.jpg
BS4aHWL.jpg

8bitdo makes much better controllers than retro-bit in general.
And... We're done here. Thread can be closed

Seriously, after buying controllers from both 8bitdo and retro-bit, I won't touch another controller from retro-bit for the foreseeable future. They need to seriously up their game before I buy another controller from them. I still wish them success though, we need more people out there making retro controllers.

Crayon

Are these things any good?

I bought a pair of the saturn ones and the dpads broke without a lot of use. If the dpad disc is outside the shell, there is a white plastic cross inside that acts on the bladder. Those things just snapped. We are talking less than 10 hours of use. I'm one of those people who has very good "luck" with controllers. Almost all my ancient ass controllers work great. Maybe I got bad luck with these but I'm not touching them again.

mopspear

I have the "Legacy16 Wired USB Controller - Onyx" controller from them and it's very nice. Too light though. I want to put weights in it to make it feel more expensive. This thing looks cool though. Doesn't look awkward even though it mixed the two designs together.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I bought a pair of the saturn ones and the dpads broke without a lot of use. If the dpad disc is outside the shell, there is a white plastic cross inside that acts on the bladder. Those things just snapped. We are talking less than 10 hours of use. I'm one of those people who has very good "luck" with controllers. Almost all my ancient ass controllers work great. Maybe I got bad luck with these but I'm not touching them again.
Same, but only one broke, I haven't used the 2nd as it'll just happen again. They endlessly ignored me on any support/contact channels, eventually I managed to get hold of someone on twitter but after claiming they'd ship me some replacement part all communication stopped again. Fuck them...

Bought a Fighting Commander (PS4/PC version) and never looked back, even though Hori doesn't have the Saturn style d-pad. There's always the 8bitdo M30 too but Hori's 4 shoulder buttons mean I can use it for emulation of anything up to PS1, not just the 6 button systems like Saturn or arcades.

That said, I'd probably cave and give Retro-bit a shot again if they release the Saturn dual analog pad at a good price as an all in one controller I could use for everything, modern or retro, with the nostalgia trip too. Assuming my current pads (DualShock4/Fighting Commander) eventually die 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Crayon

Same, but only one broke, I haven't used the 2nd as it'll just happen again. They endlessly ignored me on any support/contact channels, eventually I managed to get hold of someone on twitter but after claiming they'd ship me some replacement part all communication stopped again. Fuck them...

Bought a Fighting Commander (PS4/PC version) and never looked back, even though Hori doesn't have the Saturn style d-pad. There's always the 8bitdo M3 too but Hori's 4 shoulder buttons mean I can use it for emulation of anything up to PS1, not just 6 face button systems like Saturn or arcades.

That said, I'd probably cave and give Retro-bit a shot again if they release the Saturn dual analog pad at a good price as an all in one controller I could use for everything, modern or retro, with the nostalgia trip too. Assuming my current pads (DualShock4/Fighting Commander) eventually die 🤷‍♂️

Damn, you too? I thought the piece that broke looked like cheap shit but maybe mine were just off a flawed batch or something. I cannot remember what the inside of a real one looks like to save my life, though. If it's the same design, then they must be of a totally different material given I have like 5 or 6 real ones that are all 25 years old.

Alexios

Damn, you too? I thought the piece that broke looked like cheap shit but maybe mine were just off a flawed batch or something. I cannot remember what the inside of a real one looks like to save my life, though. If it's the same design, then they must be of a totally different material given I have like 5 or 6 real ones that are all 25 years old.
I bought it relatively early myself, there was word it was a flaw they later fixed or whatever (hence I hoped the replacement part would be lasting when they said they'd ship it) but I don't think it was ever acknowledged as a problem, fixed or otherwise, in an official capacity or anything of the sort.

Last edited:

Alexios

4 years later after pestering them on twitter Retro-bit made amends for my faulty Saturn USB controllers sending me 2 new ones. Better late than never but I bought a Fighting Commander that's worked great since after the last time they stopped responding to me after promising they'll send parts.
IMG_20231122_121737.jpg

Now to decide which to use and which to keep boxed. I'm partial to the all black one as that's what I had back in the day, I dunno about those colored buttons...

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I had the exact same experience. I bought a Saturn one and a Mega Drive one, and during a run of Streets of Rage the d-pad snapped. I still have the MD one, but I have barely used it. I didn't know the issue was so commonplace before this thread, and I didn't even bother complaining. I just threw it away and learned to never buy from Retrobit again.

I might try one of the 8bitdo ones that was recommended.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I had the exact same experience. I bought a Saturn one and a Mega Drive one, and during a run of Streets of Rage the d-pad snapped. I still have the MD one, but I have barely used it. I didn't know the issue was so commonplace before this thread, and I didn't even bother complaining. I just threw it away and learned to never buy from Retrobit again.

I might try one of the 8bitdo ones that was recommended.
The 8bitdo M30 pad is commonly praised for its durability, but I've yet to try one out myself.

Hopefully this one is better.

I bought the other sega gamepads from retro-bit before.
Apart from the face buttons those were really subpar. I compared them to my old original controllers.
The d-pads and shoulder buttons, especially the shoulder buttons on the saturn gamepad, are awful on those replicas. Not at all like the originals.

CdnUv4d.jpg
BS4aHWL.jpg
Thank you! I was in a Reddit hread about that piece of crap Saturn pad, telling people exactly what you said, and I got several replies calling me a liar.

Fucking shills. I'm glad I got a refund for that POS. Absolute trash. I'm not sure how Retro-bit got any kind of a good reputation, everything of theirs I've tried has been awful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom