• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galdelico

Now that I pretty much set up my Mega Drive 2 / Mega CD 2 to output at their very best quality on my 1080p monitor, the transition from full to no scanlines is making me feel like I want to get rid of the system's inherent jailbars.
Any tips for someone who has no tools/expertise to do the mod himself? Any modder/gaffer in Europe (I live in Italy) to suggest?

Thanks in advance! ^_-

So Analog said they might make a limited run of Super NT's with analog out if there is enough demand. What do we gotta do to make this happen?

But would it still be in HD resolutions only, or would we be able to use it for 480i/240P? Also would it still be lagless. I think that those are the most important questions.

P.S. I can already forsee people being whiners about not knowing there would be an analog one and regretting pre-ordering one early lol

hey guys, just crossposting. sorta mini monitor and hardware =)

i took my first step today into the world of Turbo Grafx/ PCEngine collecting.
i grabbed a fully recapped and 2 games and got a 20 dollar discount on the handheld.

since it's my first ever, pls pardon full screen images incoming:
will crosspost in the retro thread.

64fNdmm.png

052V4WO.png

niWQzLE.png

Peagles

i grabbed a fully recapped and 2 games and got a 20 dollar discount on the handheld.

64fNdmm.png

052V4WO.png

niWQzLE.png

Ooh this looks pretty cool! For an older LCD it actually looks quite nice, is it better in person?

Peltz

64fNdmm.png

052V4WO.png

niWQzLE.png
Turboexpress? Why'd you go that route? Just curious.

Ooh this looks pretty cool! For an older LCD it actually looks quite nice, is it better in person?
thanks, sorta like those who prefer consumer CRT's, i wanted the old LCD look originally on the hardware. i always loved the look of the atari lynx and turbo express and dreamed of having one as a teenager.
i don't think it looks any better in person than in the pics. pretty close representation imo.
Interesting pixel layout on that LCD, looks a lot better than the GameGear screen.
i remember reading the EGM issue when this first released on how the screen showed small texts easy. got me so excited.
Turboexpress? Why'd you go that route? Just curious.
so i can play this before i go to bed. it's going to be on my lampstand replacing the wii u pad i set up. maybe now i'll finally hook up the wii u to my HDTV =P

Nice! That console is cool.

Yawnny

Just Ordered up my second PVM: A 14" Sony PVM-14M2U (Mfg date: Nov 1997)

This will be replacing my main 13" Sony PVM-1342Q (Mfg date: Feb 1989)

I wanted something that was a bit newer and essentially have a 'backup'

That's what I tell myself anyway.. I really just wanted that rush of buying a PVM again.. Also even an inch bigger I think is going to hit the sweet spot for me.

I also just like the feeling of owning two of these.. just to have them preserved :)

Peltz

Just Ordered up my second PVM: A 14" Sony PVM-14M2U (Mfg date: Nov 1997)

This will be replacing my main 13" Sony PVM-1342Q (Mfg date: Feb 1989)

I wanted something that was a bit newer and essentially have a 'backup'

That's what I tell myself anyway.. I really just wanted that rush of buying a PVM again.. Also even an inch bigger I think is going to hit the sweet spot for me.

I also just like the feeling of owning two of these.. just to have them preserved :)

I have a 14m2u and love it. Enjoy!

Well, my PVM showed up, and I've got this 1chip SuFami...
now I just need the cables!

Gonna hunt around local recycle shops for something to stand it on. Hoping for a little bedside table with a drawer for carts or something

Is that a M4U? Pretty sweet PVM if so, as good or better than everything short of a L5.

thanks guys, it's pretty fun playing aero blasters on it. feels like i'm in high school enjoying this for the first time.

PCE games are super pick up and play in my opinion, which would make for the perfect handheld games. Check out Devil's Crush pinball if you can, it's one of my favorite games on the PCE and I wouldn't consider myself anything of a fan of pinball games. Really good for quick sessions.

PCE games are super pick up and play in my opinion, which would make for the perfect handheld games. Check out Devil's Crush pinball if you can, it's one of my favorite games on the PCE and I wouldn't consider myself anything of a fan of pinball games. Really good for quick sessions.

i just looked up devil's crush... 125-150 bucks!!!! i may have to wait on that...

My X68000 (AKA money sink) MIDI interface arrived today. I'm going to have to get a capture card once my OSSC arrives and I get a MIDI Module.

BQov6r5l.jpg

lArAisCl.jpg

lggeTowl.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, what's the reason for buying that thing? Genuinely curious -- Japanese computer stuff is something I don't really know much about.

The X68000's native sound chip is the YM2151 which is an 8-channel FM sound chip. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to port Phantasy Star's sound track over using one of the music editors available for it.

Unless you mean can I play it myself? I'd need some practice first. It's been a while since I've touched a keyboard. I'm mainly a guitarist although I'm also out of practice with that, too!

I'd like to get some recording equipment and use the X68000 to program drums and synth then record some guitar and bass tracks.

Interestingly, the FM Towns uses the same chip as the Genesis. You'd think that a high end gaming PC would use a better audio chip but whatever.

Ah, that's kinda cool. I'm in Chicago right now, can we lay down some phat beatz together? No? Ok.

Are you actually in Chicago? If so, come see My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult tomorrow.

Danny Dudekisser

The X68000's native sound chip is the YM2151 which is an 8-channel FM sound chip. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to port Phantasy Star's sound track over using one of the music editors available for it.

Unless you mean can I play it myself? I'd need some practice first. It's been a while since I've touched a keyboard. I'm mainly a guitarist although I'm also out of practice with that, too!

I'd like to get some recording equipment and use the X68000 to program drums and synth then record some guitar and bass tracks.

Interestingly, the FM Towns uses the same chip as the Genesis. You'd think that a high end gaming PC would use a better audio chip but whatever.

Are you actually in Chicago? If so, come see My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm actually in Chicago. Well, the 'burbs, but I'm probably headed into the city proper to hang out with my hipster friend in Wicker Park. I don't approve of his hipster lifestyle, tho.

Yeah, I'm actually in Chicago. Well, the 'burbs, but I'm probably headed into the city proper to hang out with my hipster friend in Wicker Park. I don't approve of his hipster lifestyle, tho.

Oh, rad. I go to Schaumburg once a week for work but otherwise I rarely stray from the Brown/Red lines. Although, assuming I don't get transferred to Virginia, Wicker Park is an area I've thought about moving to.

Are you why none of the local TV stations have PVMs?

you're a guitarist?
that's awesome.

HideoKojimaJr

Neo Member
Also, I just ordered SCART cable from Retro Access specifically for the NT Mini, so now I have to pull the trigger and order one when I get paid next week. That and because who knows when they'll have another batch of them. Also I disconnected my NES and that dumpy NOAC clone I was using for Famicom carts in the closet for the time being to make room on my retro console shelf. It's happening, folks. I sold a bunch of guitar equipment to fund this thing lol.

Danny Dudekisser

Oh, rad. I go to Schaumburg once a week for work but otherwise I rarely stray from the Brown/Red lines. Although, assuming I don't get transferred to Virginia, Wicker Park is an area I've thought about moving to.

Are you why none of the local TV stations have PVMs?

Nah, I have nothing to do with the PVM shortage. I’d blame Bodine. I’m only here through the week, which isn’t enough time to really eradicate the PVM population.

And y’all uncultured cunts need to learn to play piano. If you think shredding on guitar pulls in the wimmenfolk, wait till you see what kinda classy ladies the piano gets ya. Then keep waiting. And waiting.

So my OSSC just turned up today, however I'm having some audio issues and I'm not honestly sure what is the cause. Anyone have any potential ideas?

On my Mega Drive there is a high pitched whining/buzzing noise in the background any time audio is playing, the higher pitched the sound the worse it seems to be. On my PS1 there is a constant buzzing in the background even when no audio is playing, this buzzing is much lower pitch. However my PC Engine Duo R works absolutely flawlessly, and I didn't notice any trouble with my Dreamcast either (although I have no controller on hand to test past the boot music)

Note that the consoles and cables all work fine when connected directly to the TV, and changing any settings in the OSSC doesn't help.

Danny Dudekisser

So my OSSC just turned up today, however I'm having some audio issues and I'm not honestly sure what is the cause. Anyone have any potential ideas?

On my Mega Drive there is a high pitched whining/buzzing noise in the background any time audio is playing, the higher pitched the sound the worse it seems to be. On my PS1 there is a constant buzzing in the background even when no audio is playing, this buzzing is much lower pitch. However my PC Engine Duo R works absolutely flawlessly, and I didn't notice any trouble with my Dreamcast either (although I have no controller on hand to test past the boot music)

Note that the consoles and cables all work fine when connected directly to the TV, and changing any settings in the OSSC doesn't help.

Are the scart cables shielded? Is the noise particularly bad on white screens, like the PS1's boot-up?

Are the scart cables shielded? Is the noise particularly bad on white screens, like the PS1's boot-up?

Honestly I don't know. The Dreamcast cable is an official Sega one, the PC Engine Duo R cable is from Retro Gaming Cables, the PS1 cable is a Madcatz one so I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't shielded correctly, the Mega Drive cable was one from eBay like 8 years ago, though it wasn't a cheap one, so I don't know. They've always worked perfectly on all my TVs.

Due to an impending move I haven't got much to hand to test properly (no controller for the PS1/DC, only a few games to hand), but the PS1 was buzzing very badly on the white background part of the bootup and grey squares bios screen, not so much on the black background part of the bootup. The Mega Drive was only doing it any time audio was playing, regardless of how dark or bright the screen was - Mean Bean, Sonic 1 and Batman & Robin were all as bad as each other.

Edit: Tried a couple more things with the Mega Drive. Audio to headphones directly from the headphone jack on the system works fine, audio using a separate 3.5mm cable into the OSSC via AV2 has the same problem as the RGB Scart cable itself has. Running the OSSC with the RGB cable not plugged into the 3.5mm at the front (so no audio input at all) causes an extremely loud high pitched buzzing noise to constantly run through my TV. On a bright screen any of the buzzing is definitely worse than a dark screen (main menu of Mean Bean is way worse than the options menu).

Rirse

Neo Member
Got my tracker for the OSSC today. How long does it take to reach the midwest of the United States? Tracker is right now in Royal Mail with no estimated date, which does it change to USPS when it gets to the states?

I stopped in the Portland Retro Gaming Expo for free play of arcades, pins, and consoles. Lots of CRTs but some really awful flat panels on some of the classic consoles and computers. I'm spoiled at home! Saturn Bomberman via composite on a big old Sony LCD is a travesty!

Got my tracker for the OSSC today. How long does it take to reach the midwest of the United States? Tracker is right now in Royal Mail with no estimated date, which does it change to USPS when it gets to the states?

Takes about a week, it is handed off to USPS when it reaches San Francisco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom