• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleCross

If it's not fixable with geometry settings in the menu then you're going to have to access the service menu.
I can't get to the menu. It seems to require the remote. All the button on the TV does is brings up tv channel scan and demo.

Sony Trinitron 27XBR45 is the TV.

Edit: Turns out my Sony HDTV remote operates it, insane! There's no settings to adjust the slanted screen. How do I get into the service menu? I assume I'll need the original remote, which I ordered.

Here's a picture. You can see the upper sides go inwards.

wXW5UK7.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I can't get to the menu. It seems to require the remote. All the button on the TV does is brings up tv channel scan and demo.

Sony Trinitron 27XBR45 is the TV.

Edit: Turns out my Sony HDTV remote operates it, insane! There's no settings to adjust the slanted screen. How do I get into the service menu? I assume I'll need the original remote, which I ordered.

Here's a picture. You can see the upper sides go inwards.

That looks like the upper pin is out of wack. It should be the "UPIN" adjustment

SegaShack

Can anyone tell me the best scaine settings for OSSC? I have a PVM 20L5 and would like it looking as close to that as possible. Thanks in advance!

Peagles

I know that feeling. I'm still in my honeymoon phase with the 20L5.

Congrats and enjoy!

All I did so far is plug the DC in a bit before bed, no tinkering or adjustments just a quick play. I couldn't get to sleep cos I was so blown away by it! I think I'll have to order a Garo so I can set up my Xbox, Wii and GC on this thing.

Anyone here got a Garo? :)

All I did so far is plug the DC in a bit before bed, no tinkering or adjustments just a quick play. I couldn't get to sleep cos I was so blown away by it! I think I'll have to order a Garo so I can set up my Xbox, Wii and GC on this thing.

I don't have the Garo as I built my own component-vga adapter but I cangaurentee you will not be dissapointed. 480P sources look FANTASTIC, like 1000x better then a fixed pixel display with zero input lag. I've never been able to find a multi res bvm/pvm so I use a 20" BVM for 15khz and a 22" vga crt for 31khz

Vespa

I have a Garo but I feel it's overpriced, that being said it does work well and can handle the Wii's strange sync. If money isn't a problem then the extra cost of an OSSC is well worth it since it can handle interlaced images and the scanline options built in are far superior to the weak Garo scanliner; not to mention the line multiplication options for 240p consoles!

Peltz

I don't have the Garo as I built my own component-vga adapter but I cangaurentee you will not be dissapointed. 480P sources look FANTASTIC, like 1000x better then a fixed pixel display with zero input lag. I've never been able to find a multi res bvm/pvm so I use a 20" BVM for 15khz and a 22" vga crt for 31khz

That's smart.

Vespa

Wow, that's awesome you built your own converter!

Similar situation for me. I am curious about one of those BVMs that can handle 480p but a PC CRT is such a beautiful thing that I don't feel the need to hunt one down.

Galdelico

Can anyone tell me the best scaine settings for OSSC? I have a PVM 20L5 and would like it looking as close to that as possible. Thanks in advance!
I don't believe there's an absolute best setting to suggest. On a 1080p display, you won't get perfectly even scanlines, so they'll look quite bad in Line4x/5x once you get past 15% intensity (if you have CSI eyes, they may look slightly off even in Line2x and 3x, above 25%, especially over some distinct colors). Because of that, on my 1080p monitor I don't use scanlines at all.
On the other hand, you're gonna have integer scaling on a 4K display, so I find scanlines looking real pretty there, especially in Line3x and 4x at 50% intensity. PVM-good, though? I don't know, I don't think you can really compare fake scanlines with genuine CRT ones, but surely the 'analog feel' can be strong with the OSSC and a good 4K set.

Peagles

Thanks! That's essentially why I picked this monitor up. I got my current PVMs for a pittance and I refuse to pay upwards of a grand for a multi res one! I'm just gonna have them side by side. I will keep an eye out for a bigger one though I think.

I have a Garo but I feel it's overpriced, that being said it does work well and can handle the Wii's strange sync. If money isn't a problem then the extra cost of an OSSC is well worth it since it can handle interlaced images and the scanline options built in are far superior to the weak Garo scanliner; not to mention the line multiplication options for 240p consoles!

Yeh I balked a bit at the price of the Garo. I actually have a spare OSSC cos I got the new one and still have the old one. Wouldn't I need to buy an extra something to convert DVI to VGA though? I remember reading somewhere that the little passive adapters won't cut it.

Vespa

Yeh I balked a bit at the price of the Garo. I actually have a spare OSSC cos I got the new one and still have the old one. Wouldn't I need to buy an extra something to convert DVI to VGA though? I remember reading somewhere that the little passive adapters won't cut it.

You can get an active adapter without the need for an additional power source for fairly cheap, I'm using the Tendak from this thread. You'll need a passive DVI to HDMI cable or adapter too but those are really cheap.

Thanks for the kudos guys but I cheated on the ypbpr-rgbhv converter! At some point when I was researching this someone posted that a wii vga cable from hyperkin used the exact diy circuit and it was much easier to buy the cable, tear it apart and use their board so I did exactly that!

I used this exact cable except it was $20 when I bought it.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0015MISAG/

Each point is clearly marked on the board so I put it in a box and wired up component inputs and a vga output. It supports 480p/720p and requires 5vdc power so I power it off an old phone charger.

Peltz

Finally ps1 Scart cables are back in stock @ retro gaming cables.

ordered one.

Didn't know you needed one dude. I had an extra.

Used PS1s currently $15.99 at gamestop.

https://www.gamestop.com/consoles/playstation-system/122936

I mean, you're probably better served getting a ps2 or 1st gen ps3 as they're backwards compatible but this is a pretty cool piece of nostalgia for less than 20 bucks. Was gonna make a thread for it but I doubt many people would care lol.

That's awesome. It comes with the original controller too!

dubc35

I mean, you're probably better served getting a ps2 or 1st gen ps3 as they're backwards compatible but this is a pretty cool piece of nostalgia for less than 20 bucks. Was gonna make a thread for it but I doubt many people would care lol.

Aren't all ps3 versions BC with ps1 games?

Great deal regardless. I would hop on it but I already have my OG ps1 and a psOne I bought on discount years (>10) ago.

HideoKojimaJr

Neo Member
speaking of which, what's everyone doing to play imports on their PS1s these days? I'm in the US, but I've got some Japanese games I've been wanting to get to.

KyleCross

Lemme know when they start selling slim PS2's again. I missed out on those and my phatty is 16 years old at this point.

kinggroin

Banned
Anyone in Florida want a big ass 24" Sony Multisync G520 for free? If so, pm me and it's yours. Otherwise, in the dump it goes.

Not sure how useful it is to you retro lot, but figured I offer anyway.

RobotVM

i am about to throw my Trinitron in the garbage. I cannot get the geometry even close to looking decent. If anyone wants to sell me their older OSSC I think I will go with that over CRT.

_SAKY_

I heard this would fix my crooked screen, but I also hear there's a good chance of me dying by going into a CRT.

I'm in this same boat. I would love to open my Trinitron TV and work on it if only I could find more information about repairing them without dying XD

KyleCross

So I've been messing around in the service menu of my Sony Trinitron 27XBR45 and I've been able to correct the geometry quite a lot, but I just can't fix that slant on the top of the screen and it's quite annoying. Any tips?

Galdelico

Is it asymmetric (i.e. does it affect only one corner), or the whole frame is tilted? If it's the latter, I remember all my Trinitron CRTs having a proper command to fix that issue ('RGB Rotate' I believe?), under Image Settings.

KyleCross

Is it asymmetric (i.e. does it affect only one corner), or the whole frame is tilted? If it's the latter, I remember all my Trinitron CRTs having a proper command to fix that issue ('RGB Rotate' I believe?), under Image Settings.
Yeah, no setting like that under regular settings or service menu. It only affects the top portion of the screen, it slants down from left to right. Bottom seems level.

Yawnny

Does a Dreamcast still look really good via S-Video to a PVM? I'm considering picking up a cable for my DC, I want play games that can't run through VGA Box (ie: Plasma Sword)

Galdelico

Yeah, no setting like that under regular settings or service menu. It only affects the top portion of the screen, it slants down from left to right. Bottom seems level.
Seems like the same issue I experienced with one of my Trintron CRTs. Couldn't fix the slight tilt on top via the service menu either. I've been told someone with technical expertise would've probably rectified it super easily, by opening up the TV and operating on the board, but unfortunately no one where I live is still offering this kind of service.

Finally reconnected my OSSC and PS2 after storing everything away in prep for the hurricane. Still looking as good as ever. I really need to figure out my capture solution, though, even if it's just getting my hands on a short hdmi - dvi cable from amazon.

Yawnny

Speaking of capture cards:

I'm considering speedrunning soon using my PVM and SNES.

Is their any defacto standard SD capture device for a lot of retro game streamers?

Speaking of capture cards:

I'm considering speedrunning soon using my PVM and SNES.

Is their any defacto standard SD capture device for a lot of retro game streamers?
There're a few that the folks over on shmups largely recommend, but they're fairly high end. Think one of them is a micomsoft product. This maybe?
https://solarisjapan.com/collections/micomsoft/products/xcapture-1-usb-3-0-hd-capture-unit

Related, is there a specific, relatively cheap, hdmi splitter that folks recommend? Mine is just some junk from china and since my apartment is carpeted, I'm worried about how hot it gets.

Didn't know you needed one dude. I had an extra.
thanks! well, i ordered one with the rca port for light guns.
Once you get it tell us how it is!
i will.
i have a psp go
and ps2 both hooked component to a BVM,
i haven't hooked up my ps1 bc i was missing a scart cable
i'll see if can notice the differences between each.

it'll be good to have the sharpest picture possible =)

KyleCross

Seems like the same issue I experienced with one of my Trintron CRTs. Couldn't fix the slight tilt on top via the service menu either. I've been told someone with technical expertise would've probably rectified it super easily, by opening up the TV and operating on the board, but unfortunately no one where I live is still offering this kind of service.
Well, I guess I give up then. I was lucky enough to find a Trinitron XBR and even injured my back with it and it has a problem that can't be fixed easily. Guess I toss it and just go back to playing them on my 4K tv. Really sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom