• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Anime Discussion |OT|

What retro anime titles are long overdue for a blu-ray release in North America?

• Total voters

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Some less common intros

Funky intro for the failed Tatsunoko series Starzan S.

The wrestler was popular enough that he got his own anime. He started using this theme for his entrance at one point too. =P

More of a "movie opening" than a show intro but it still fits enough.

An obscure mecha spoof show by the Vifam crew

For those who want an intro that isn't the usual fare. She appears kinda lifeless and similar to a puppet on strings but that's on purpose.

Second(?) intro for the JP G1 Transformers. They cheaped out with this one and cut together a bunch of toy commercial footage.

Great material and once again it's material that is making me wish I'd imported me JP only blu-rays / DVDs back when I was still physically collecting. Most of these you can probably watch fan-subbed on YouTube, I gather.

By the way, I did watch Kenny Lauderdale's video on the Lost Tezuka. I haven't watched the OVA but it looked interesting to me. He mentions that there was no manga to be found in which Love Position: The Legend of Halley could have been based. I think it's unimportant. Theoretically, it almost appears by the strange sequencing he pointed out, that they had different writers and animators playing musical chairs. The odd man out would pick up the story somewhere different and leave "the Terminator" character as a constant background motive to move the characters. I enjoyed B-movies from the 60's-80's which also lacked consistency and could get very obscure or confusing. The point of watching classic anime for me is to sometimes ask myself (after it's over): it's not a masterpiece but did I have fun? If I enjoyed myself, then it really doesn't matter if it's not quite A-list material for classic anime. Sounds like where they hit disaster was with post-production and distribution. They didn't seem to want it out on the market very long and it never recirculated. It's still very arrogant that they "tried" to scrub it from the official Tezuka titles webpage. Many famous anime directors had to do things before and during their career fame that are a little embarassing. Think of how many of the famous directors had to work on a sleazy, low selling hentai title. How many had to work on some else's adapted works and only get second billing for credits. That's no excuse for trying to hide that info.

On another topic, I remember coming across this title about 13-years ago and making it an AMV with nothing but soundtrack behind it. The AMV, my old YouTube channel, and any title I had have been completely lost. It's not as bad as one would think and considering they released a turd like "Junk Boy" into the Western video market; this one deserved a shot...but never left Japan as far as I know.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
So, apparently the music videos shown as openings and closings for OVAs 7-11 were the exclusive Ranma 1/2 music videos by DoCo. This is the full album and from all information I've dug up on it, they really worked hard on this album. So, along with the OVA's, the DoCo Ranma 1/2 music videos / album marked the end of Ranma in animation. If it served the forum well, I would create a thread as a coop with kunonabi kunonabi for Ranma 1/2 alone.

Enjoy your Monday with the music from DoCo. A couple of the music videos can be found on YouTube but you can easily just buy the OVA / Movies boxset from Viz and watch all of them there.

Okay, new sub-topic since I haven't made one in a couple weeks.

Weirdest Older Anime You've Ever Watched...What was it?

Here's mine: Back in 2008, I was finding a bunch of 80's anime titles which had never made it to North America and were mostly fan-subbed on a site called Veoh.com
I don't think YouTube allowed videos longer than 10-minutes back then, so they were pretty much a dead end for finding rare or oop anime (unlike today).
It was Winter and I would read the title of an old OVA or three, translate them, read a synopsis, download, and then watch.
I come across one which was fan-subbed and roughly translated to, "Butt-Attack Punisher Girl Gautama."
After having seen a few interesting unreleased (in the Americas) U-Jin OVAs and finding Devilman: The Birth on the same site I thought: Sounds weird -- but let's take a look. I've never re-watched it...nor have I forgotten what it was about. :messenger_neutral:

My synopsis:
A girl goes to a remote catholic academy in Japan and befriends an Indian girl her first day. The Indian girl (from India...not Native American) talks back and forth about her religion and they become friends...close friends (pretty much Yuri without any extremely graphic scenes). The Indian girl gets abducted and taken to a cave by some weird guys and the protagonist (the catholic girl) is visited by a fat floating Gautama. Gautama gives her special super powers to find, attack, and rescue her friend. Her powers? She attacks with her butt...no I'm not joking and others have written about this OVA, too (no surprise why this never made it to the U.S.). She attacks the cave villains with her butt, saves her friend, has a weird reunion in a bathtub and then gets transferred to another school. Case closed!
This is all based on memory from like 12-years ago BUTT...I'll post the info on it anyway.

I nominate: kunonabi kunonabi OmegaSupreme OmegaSupreme Space Runaway Space Runaway D DragoonWalker @gela94 C Cannibalistic @Dacon @SLoWMoTIoN @Shouta and anyone else to contribute their experience watching a weird anime.

uSyhigW.jpg

Almost forgot about replying to this. Gotta admit, The bar for weird anime is really high in all directions, all definitions of the word. Not only is my viewing experience limited, I find some of the weirdest moments are often otherwise normal anime, so it's easy to forget about them. Some stuff that was weird to me long ago are no longer all that to the older jaded me.

Maybe it's just my lack of knowledge, but all the weirdest stuff is from the 2000s (My favorite being Kaiba). 80s generally had pretty straight forward stories, and if they were weird it was from the "anything goes" non-sequitur humor and attitudes they had. 90s had... Excel Saga? That show made me really uncomfortable back then haha.

Still, this might be a good opportunity to talk about Mr. Ajikko, the greatest shonen cooking anime ever made, and nobody in the west has ever heard of. I saw it once upon a time as a kid, dubbed into cantonese. Even now I remember how utterly off the hook it was. Being shonen, it has tournaments, a rogue's gallery of oddball opponents, left-field tide turning twists, and all that. But it's really unpredictable sequences of reacting to flavor and cooking food accompanied by hilarious commentary that makes it so crazy. I've never seen anything like it since (Yakitate Japan? What's that?), and it's a shame it was never brought to the west.

The entire thing is on YT, but tragically in 360p and the subtitles are complete bullshit. I hope someday someone will give this amazing show the treatment it deserves. Still, you can get a glimpse of its glory just by clicking on ANY of the episodes and skipping around to the middle to witness some really wacky shit:

By the way, I did watch Kenny Lauderdale's video on the Lost Tezuka. I haven't watched the OVA but it looked interesting to me. He mentions that there was no manga to be found in which Love Position: The Legend of Halley could have been based. I think it's unimportant. Theoretically, it almost appears by the strange sequencing he pointed out, that they had different writers and animators playing musical chairs. The odd man out would pick up the story somewhere different and leave "the Terminator" character as a constant background motive to move the characters. I enjoyed B-movies from the 60's-80's which also lacked consistency and could get very obscure or confusing. The point of watching classic anime for me is to sometimes ask myself (after it's over): it's not a masterpiece but did I have fun? If I enjoyed myself, then it really doesn't matter if it's not quite A-list material for classic anime. Sounds like where they hit disaster was with post-production and distribution. They didn't seem to want it out on the market very long and it never recirculated. It's still very arrogant that they "tried" to scrub it from the official Tezuka titles webpage. Many famous anime directors had to do things before and during their career fame that are a little embarassing. Think of how many of the famous directors had to work on a sleazy, low selling hentai title. How many had to work on some else's adapted works and only get second billing for credits. That's no excuse for trying to hide that info.

Yeah I'm not a fan of erasing things from history. There's never a good reason for it. Always an attempt to hide something.

On another topic, I remember coming across this title about 13-years ago and making it an AMV with nothing but soundtrack behind it. The AMV, my old YouTube channel, and any title I had have been completely lost. It's not as bad as one would think and considering they released a turd like "Junk Boy" into the Western video market; this one deserved a shot...but never left Japan as far as I know.

Regarding Call Me Tonight, I was always amused by the "Galaxie OF Horror" flick that was playing in the theater within that OVA. The title obviously taken from Galaxy of Terror and the monsters are stolen from an old 60s b-movie The Green Slime (A US and JP co-production). =P

8wky2Qt.jpg
DD6yihO.jpg
ofmRZ1l.jpg

Just logged onto Retro Crush. Feeing old school. Might watch a little Lupin.

Any Mecha on there worth my time?

Been watching RetroCrush clips myself. Space Runaway Space Runaway seems to be an expert in known and not so well known mecha series beyond just Macross and Mobile Suit Gundam.

I'm not an expert but looking at their selection they only have very few. 😓

In terms of stuff that fit the criteria of this thread...

Giant Gorg, Dancouga and God Mars are good for the giant robot stuff. Though Gorg is a different kind of giant robot series which is mainly focused on telling a story with every episode having direct continuity and not utilizing the "monster of the week" *reset* format.

GoShogun is good but it's still very 70s and in many ways not very serious and likes to break the 4th wall by pointing out cliches.

I don't think Bubblegum Crisis requires any kind of recommendation at this point. =P

Can't really comment on Baldios or Voltes V. The rest seems to be too modern for this thread or stuff with mecha like Dallos, A-Ko, Appleseed etc.. but I dunno if the question pertains to that kind of stuff or just the giant robot variety. =P

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah I'm not a fan of erasing things from history. There's never a good reason for it. Always an attempt to hide something.

Regarding Call Me Tonight, I was always amused by the "Galaxie OF Horror" flick that was playing in the theater within that OVA. The title obviously taken from Galaxy of Terror and the monsters are stolen from an old 60s b-movie The Green Slime (A US and JP co-production). =P

8wky2Qt.jpg
DD6yihO.jpg
ofmRZ1l.jpg

I'm not an expert but looking at their selection they only have very few. 😓

In terms of stuff that fit the criteria of this thread...

Giant Gorg, Dancouga and God Mars are good for the giant robot stuff. Though Gorg is a different kind of giant robot series which is mainly focused on telling a story with every episode having direct continuity and not utilizing the "monster of the week" *reset* format.

GoShogun is good but it's still very 70s and in many ways not very serious and likes to break the 4th wall by pointing out cliches.

I don't think Bubblegum Crisis requires any kind of recommendation at this point. =P

Can't really comment on Baldios or Voltes V. The rest seems to be too modern for this thread or stuff with mecha like Dallos, A-Ko, Appleseed
etc.. but I dunno if the question pertains to that kind of stuff or just the giant robot variety. =P
J-Roderton J-Roderton I knew he'd come back with something on mecha. There's quite a variety in stories there which span beyond the typical Mecha anime in the above titles.

As I may have mentioned before, I used to be part of a classic horror archive and owned a massive expensive collection of rare or oop horror films. This of course means I had 80's Corman titles like Galaxy of Terror and Forbidden World. It's hilarious that they did that with Call Me Tonight. Live action low-budget films were notorious for showing movies within movies but animation? Not often and not to such detail. Keen eye that you caught that one. I wish they had gone all the way and just made some of those Corman movies in anime completely. By the way, Roger Corman apparently has seen anime as you can tell by this promotional quote on the first VHS/DVD release of Perfect Blue.

UiRKcR2.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Almost forgot about replying to this. Gotta admit, The bar for weird anime is really high in all directions, all definitions of the word. Not only is my viewing experience limited, I find some of the weirdest moments are often otherwise normal anime, so it's easy to forget about them. Some stuff that was weird to me long ago are no longer all that to the older jaded me.

Maybe it's just my lack of knowledge, but all the weirdest stuff is from the 2000s (My favorite being Kaiba). 80s generally had pretty straight forward stories, and if they were weird it was from the "anything goes" non-sequitur humor and attitudes they had. 90s had... Excel Saga? That show made me really uncomfortable back then haha.

Still, this might be a good opportunity to talk about Mr. Ajikko, the greatest shonen cooking anime ever made, and nobody in the west has ever heard of. I saw it once upon a time as a kid, dubbed into cantonese. Even now I remember how utterly off the hook it was. Being shonen, it has tournaments, a rogue's gallery of oddball opponents, left-field tide turning twists, and all that. But it's really unpredictable sequences of reacting to flavor and cooking food accompanied by hilarious commentary that makes it so crazy. I've never seen anything like it since (Yakitate Japan? What's that?), and it's a shame it was never brought to the west.

The entire thing is on YT, but tragically in 360p and the subtitles are complete bullshit. I hope someday someone will give this amazing show the treatment it deserves. Still, you can get a glimpse of its glory just by clicking on ANY of the episodes and skipping around to the middle to witness some really wacky shit:

Excel Saga was what made me cringe at the rendering and physics of modern anime men (the sleek beta male-type bodies with flat faces and pasted hair). I may be thinking of the Excel Saga from the 2000's, though. I never saw the original.

This OVA actually doesn't sound too bad. There's a shortage of fansubbing for older anime nowadays. Besides that, fan subbers would do that a lot back in the 90's (make a bunch of crap up while trying not to let the English read lose context completely). The best it could get is an official sub but Japanese isn't my language. About the resolution...the physical process of fan-subbing back in the day (using two recording VCR heads) would result in the quality being diminished during this archaic form of video transferring. That's probably why it's showing at 360p. You'd have to find the unsubbed version in Japanese and start from scratch to get the resolution up to 480p.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Not sure how many saw this one. It was licensed in North America by Anime Works, I believe. Space Runaway Space Runaway This one ring any bells? So, I vaguely remember IFC having an Anime time slot. They aired this OVA once on American TV (DirecTV or Dish). IFC in the early 2000's would show a lot of not-so-popular anime which was from decades prior. I have the UK release of this somewhere. It's not great but it's not as bad as some say it is either. The animation is a little stiff as you can see in the opening. One thing that always slightly irritates me with anime is how characters handle musical instruments (not saying American cartoons did much better in this area either). I've notice guitar players will randomly be raising and lowering the neck of guitars like a sword, keyboardists seem to stick their fingers out like knives and just stab the same chord, drummers alternate cymbals and drum heads with both hands. As a musician, it always drives me nuts when I'm watching people fake an instrument in live-action and in animation because they don't put any effort into making it look like the band is doing anything other than struggling with their instrument. This is probably not a good example of musician animation due to the fact that they appear to barely move at all.

This clip is from the movie Psycho Diver. I get that someone is trying to smash a bass into a car but the times you see the instrument...they're flailing around in the air. This is the English version and Japanese version compared.

Last edited:
Not sure how many saw this one. It was licensed in North America by Anime Works, I believe. Space Runaway Space Runaway This one ring any bells? So, I vaguely remember IFC having an Anime time slot. They aired this OVA once on American TV (DirecTV or Dish). IFC in the early 2000's would show a lot of not-so-popular anime which was from decades prior. I have the UK release of this somewhere. It's not great but it's not as bad as some say it is either. The animation is a little stiff as you can see in the opening. One thing that always slightly irritates me with anime is how characters handle musical instruments (not saying American cartoons did much better in this area either). I've notice guitar players will randomly be raising and lowering the neck of guitars like a sword, keyboardists seem to stick their fingers out like knives and just stab the same chord, drummers alternate cymbals and drum heads with both hands. As a musician, it always drives me nuts when I'm watching people fake an instrument in live-action and in animation because they don't put any effort into making it look like the band is doing anything other than struggling with their instrument. This is probably not a good example of musician animation due to the fact that they appear to barely move at all.

This clip is from the movie Psycho Diver. I get that someone is trying to smash a bass into a car but the times you see the instrument...they're flailing around in the air. This is the English version and Japanese version compared.

Yeah I remember renting it from the Netflix dvd service way back. It was under the title The Tokyo Project though.

For instruments it's probably better not to focus on the playing. Unless it's a close-up or money shot they're usually not playing to the music or even the beat. I would make the joke I find it funny when they have a full band for songs that are almost entirely synth but then they do that in real life for presentation purposes too. =P

There was a youtube clip from a newer anime of a band playing. It was probably one of the worst pieces of animation I've seen in a good while and would probably drive you nuts. I can't seem to find it but maybe that's for the better. :messenger_winking:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah I remember renting it from the Netflix dvd service way back. It was under the title The Tokyo Project though.

For instruments it's probably better not to focus on the playing. Unless it's a close-up or money shot they're usually not playing to the music or even the beat. I would make the joke I find it funny when they have a full band for songs that are almost entirely synth but then they do that in real life for presentation purposes too. =P

There was a youtube clip from a newer anime of a band playing. It was probably one of the worst pieces of animation I've seen in a good while and would probably drive you nuts. I can't seem to find it but maybe that's for the better. :messenger_winking:
Fictional band lineups in anime or movies are always a joke unless it's someone who can actually play (Steven Seagal actually played guitar in some of his movies or Sir Anthony Hopkins has played piano in a few movies). I've seen anime bands of all guitars and the soundtrack clearly isn't using any guitars (usually synth guitar, more synthesizer, and drum machine).

About that horrid modern anime about guitars, bad or inaccurate tech knowledge of instruments, etc...you probably saw K-On. Please, don't post clips...It's pretty cringey stuff.

Fictional band lineups in anime or movies are always a joke unless it's someone who can actually play (Steven Seagal actually played guitar in some of his movies or Sir Anthony Hopkins has played piano in a few movies). I've seen anime bands of all guitars and the soundtrack clearly isn't using any guitars (usually synth guitar, more synthesizer, and drum machine).

About that horrid modern anime about guitars, bad or inaccurate tech knowledge of instruments, etc...you probably saw K-On. Please, don't post clips...It's pretty cringey stuff.

Nah it wasn't K-On. It was an all male band from what was most likely a shojo show. Something like K-On was a league above it as far as animation.

I almost kinda wanna find it now but it's not worth the effort. =P

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Nah it wasn't K-On. It was an all male band from what was most likely a shojo show. Something like K-On was a league above it as far as animation.

I almost kinda wanna find it now but it's not worth the effort. =P
Speaking of music in anime, I've mentioned that I'm slowly watching DNA-Squared TV. The story is...okay, better to stay away from the dub and stick with subs, animation varies depending on the episode (some are better animated than others), and the music is terrible. The music is someone attempting all instruments clearly using the same synthesizer and a generic model at that (to me...the Korg M1 was Japan's top-selling synthesizer of the late 80's but had a cheap set of samples and arpeggiations in it). It's not working and he/she does a lot of split-patching (combining digital piano with strings...but think even cheaper...like combining with accordion). This is not an accomplished soundtrack for any anime. It's dull, the cheap patches chosen make it almost as nauseating to hear as the vocal samples keyboarded into the last Golden Boy episode. I'm a keyboards guy and I listen to the player carefully before passing my criticism. It's bad and distracts viewers like myself away from the more serious story going on. I know of many anime titles which used keyboard only but to very great effect. This soundtrack makes no effort.

Speaking of music in anime, I've mentioned that I'm slowly watching DNA-Squared TV. The story is...okay, better to stay away from the dub and stick with subs, animation varies depending on the episode (some are better animated than others), and the music is terrible. The music is someone attempting all instruments clearly using the same synthesizer and a generic model at that (to me...the Korg M1 was Japan's top-selling synthesizer of the late 80's but had a cheap set of samples and arpeggiations in it). It's not working and he/she does a lot of split-patching (combining digital piano with strings...but think even cheaper...like combining with accordion). This is not an accomplished soundtrack for any anime. It's dull, the cheap patches chosen make it almost as nauseating to hear as the vocal samples keyboarded into the last Golden Boy episode. I'm a keyboards guy and I listen to the player carefully before passing my criticism. It's bad and distracts viewers like myself away from the more serious story going on. I know of many anime titles which used keyboard only but to very great effect. This soundtrack makes no effort.

Skimming the score it sounds like it works better when it's just upfront computer synth and guitar. When it tries to get orchestrated it sounds like a generic 16bit rpg (But without the cool bass).

As far as a different kind of music anime, the 1993 OVA "A-Girl" from Madhouse. It's basically a silent film OVA with occasional pop-up text for extra info and a score comprised mostly of vocal songs.

2MeN2St.jpg

I know it's based on a short manga but I've never seen any of it. The OVA is definitely the product of an lead animator getting the chance to direct and going for something more artful. It's certainly interesting and something different. Being a niche concept it's still stuck in the VHS realm like so many others.

(That's a crappy thumbnail) =P

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Skimming the score it sounds like it works better when it's just upfront computer synth and guitar. When it tries to get orchestrated it sounds like a generic 16bit rpg (But without the cool bass).

As far as a different kind of music anime, the 1993 OVA "A-Girl" from Madhouse. It's basically a silent film OVA with occasional pop-up text for extra info and a score comprised mostly of vocal songs.

2MeN2St.jpg

I know it's based on a short manga but I've never seen any of it. The OVA is definitely the product of an lead animator getting the chance to direct and going for something more artful. It's certainly interesting and something different. Being a niche concept it's still stuck in the VHS realm like so many others.

(That's a crappy thumbnail) =P

I think it's bad synth work and the synth itself had compressed the sample rates down adding to that 16-bit sound (video game synth patches were compressed using a special coding). were

Sounds like with A-Girl there was some creative experimentation going on. Also cool that a lead animator got his shot at directing...that could never happen now. Animators don't even make enough to pay for water these days.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Cheaper synthesizers were used in the mid-80's with pre-programmed samples heavily inspired by technological innovations like the Fairlight CMI series sampling synthesizers. Fairlights were expensive, so many studios recording anime would use a cheaper Korg, Roland, or other more affordable sampler to create many of the anime Soundtracks of the 80's and early 90's. Listen to the samples and think of how many you've heard in classic anime OST.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
D DragoonWalker Space Runaway Space Runaway kunonabi kunonabi lachesis lachesis ValiantTraveler ValiantTraveler Valonquar Valonquar
Thanks for making the Retro Anime thread great and everyone else who chimed in, too!

I'm starting a new job next week and won't be able to keep the thread from slipping back to the bottom of the Off-Topic discussion threads. If this thread is contributed to weekly, maybe we can ask mods to move it to Community so it's still there as a readable option without getting buried. I joined NeoGAF for the purpose of bringing back Retro or Classic anime discussion and I think we did a good job of that. Before I joined GAF, I read threads on classic anime from 8-10 or more years ago that were created by Corpsepyre Corpsepyre nkarafo nkarafo and other who have been inactive long before I joined. Those threads are still here in the site history but I was disappointed that the discussion had not been brought up in nearly 5-years. I get that many come to GAF to talk about the latest season of the latest anime or to talk about high-light anime from 2010-present. However, there are two generations of anime fans that are on GAF. The younger fans who started watching anime in the 2000's when Japan had already started sending nearly all of their anime and manga to Western countries. Then there are those few of us who are either pushing 40-years or more that remember when anime was new in the West, was mostly available through a strict and expensive VHS market, and the fan culture was not quite what it is today. For example -- I don't remember very many cosplayers, figure collecting, or otherwise from anime fans of the 80's and 90's. Today, the fans seem to want everything Japanese and not just the video media.

Both groups are important to GAF and it's the same with any film medium. Imagine if GAF's cinema discussion was only newer Hollywood movies from 2000-present and Netflix originals? If threads only existed for modern film, then where are the Corman, Carpenter, Castle, Hitchcock, Kubrick, Craven, Hooper, etc...fans going to share their posts on cinematic history? It is a Gaming Forum but for Off-Topic and Community entertainment threads, there needs to be a balance of older and new to appeal to the entire forum.

The future of this thread is up to the community. If you want to discuss classic anime then tell us what you like, what you're watching or buying (via eBay, Amazon, Discotek, etc)? Tell us what genres were the best? Keep sharing trailers, OST, Gifs, and pictures! Flood this thread with classic anime and have fun with it, too. Start discussion with others in the thread or help someone find a title they saw but may not remember the name of aside from a few details.

I'll conclude this with a bunch of classic GIFs and hope to hear from you guys the rest of this year until 2021!

Peace,

~Happosai

PeGqreF.gif

a5l19Pd.gif

7oDb4nH.gif

NFAz83o.gif

wFgWWhd.gif

2bE7P3i.gif

kunonabi

Congrats on the job, Happosai!

I'll probably post on whatever new old anime I purchase. I just got my copy of the Space Adventure Cobra tv series so that might be the first up.

Man, I love how hardcore Akane was in early Ranma. What anime is that green-haired chick from?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'd love to contribute to this thread more I just haven't been watching retro stuff lately. I showed my daughter Soul Eater recently. She loved it. Not really retro but a fun anime from the boom period.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Congrats on the job, Happosai!

I'll probably post on whatever new old anime I purchase. I just got my copy of the Space Adventure Cobra tv series so that might be the first up.

Man, I love how hardcore Akane was in early Ranma. What anime is that green-haired chick from?
Please do post. Discotek has released a ton of great titles and license rescued many others in the past 7-years or so. Unfortunately, they go oop after about 3-years, so you have to buy them as they're released. Space Adventure Cobra TV may be better than the movie depending on the fan.

That's old school anime from episode 2 of the original Ranma 1/2 TV series (the one they cancelled after only 18-episodes). The drawings for the first TV series (marketed as "Digital Dojo" or "Season 1" in Western countries) were the best of the whole series. They mirrored almost exact to how Rumiko drew the characters in the manga, it's noticably more detailed in most aspects, and yes...Akane looked better before Ryoga chopped off her hair.

Green-haired chick is from one of the Megazone 23 OVA's. Quite a long production story on how they put all of that together.

Thanks for the greetings and contributions of awesome information!

KevinDX

Neo Member
I love the aesthetics of retro anime, some of the first anime my nephew showed me where Angel Cop, Genocyber and Riding Bean. That along with the anime they showed on tv at the time made me an anime fan for life

Some horror for October :messenger_smiling_horns:

1990 OVA "The Curse of Kazuo Umezu"

A fairly obscure OVA based around the works of Japanese horror writer Kazuo Umezu. Basically just tells two unrelated horror stores - The first about a girl who has a mysterious wound appear on her neck and murders seem to happen when she goes to sleep. The second has a group of girls going into a haunted house and then gore ensures. =P

It won't blow you away or anything but it's a fun little horror OVA. Just over 40 minutes so the stories move pretty quickly. The art and animation aren't great but they get the job done. It doesn't appear to have been made by any of importance (Barring Kazuo Umezu of course) and few involved seemed to have made much else. I don't think this even made the jump the laserdisc, leaving it to languish in vhs hell. Luckily it's been ripped and subbed for any who care to watch it.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

A fairly obscure OVA based around the works of Japanese horror writer Kazuo Umezu. Basically just tells two unrelated horror stores - The first about a girl who has a mysterious wound appear on her neck and murders seem to happen when she goes to sleep. The second has a group of girls going into a haunted house and then gore ensures. =P

It won't blow you away or anything but it's a fun little horror OVA. Just over 40 minutes so the stories move pretty quickly. The art and animation aren't great but they get the job done. It doesn't appear to have been made by any of importance (Barring Kazuo Umezu of course) and few involved seemed to have made much else. I don't think this even made the jump the laserdisc, leaving it to languish in vhs hell. Luckily it's been ripped and subbed for any who care to watch it.

Watched this one earlier this year and found it like if CLAMP had made a horror film. My copy is missing the haunted house part (second story); I'll need to check this out.

Watched this one earlier this year and found it like if CLAMP had made a horror film. My copy is missing the haunted house part (second story); I'll need to check this out.

Yeah, quick watch so it doesn't require any real time investment. Too bad they didn't make a couple more. Seems like this was some kind of side project where the staff was just "having a go" at certain positions/duties.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah, quick watch so it doesn't require any real time investment. Too bad they didn't make a couple more. Seems like this was some kind of side project where the staff was just "having a go" at certain positions/duties.
Perfect October anime recommendation, though. I'd also recommend Lily C.A.T. for creepy old anime movies for October.

Ah that is some freaky ass shit. Reminds me of Shoujo Tsubaki, no surprise as it was made around the same time (1992). Animation is primitive but really springs to life in the grotesque moments. I'm sure you can find it ripped somewhere as well.

Here's another. Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei. Not amazing but it has its moments. Is more interesting if you're into the SMT game series which is related:

Barefoot Gen isn't horror but the artistic interpretation of a a world disintegrating in slow-mo by apocalyptic A-bomb will haunt me forever. Belongs in a museum, no doubt:

D DragoonWalker Space Runaway Space Runaway kunonabi kunonabi lachesis lachesis ValiantTraveler ValiantTraveler Valonquar Valonquar
Thanks for making the Retro Anime thread great and everyone else who chimed in, too!

I'm starting a new job next week and won't be able to keep the thread from slipping back to the bottom of the Off-Topic discussion threads. If this thread is contributed to weekly, maybe we can ask mods to move it to Community so it's still there as a readable option without getting buried. I joined NeoGAF for the purpose of bringing back Retro or Classic anime discussion and I think we did a good job of that. Before I joined GAF, I read threads on classic anime from 8-10 or more years ago that were created by Corpsepyre Corpsepyre nkarafo nkarafo and other who have been inactive long before I joined. Those threads are still here in the site history but I was disappointed that the discussion had not been brought up in nearly 5-years. I get that many come to GAF to talk about the latest season of the latest anime or to talk about high-light anime from 2010-present. However, there are two generations of anime fans that are on GAF. The younger fans who started watching anime in the 2000's when Japan had already started sending nearly all of their anime and manga to Western countries. Then there are those few of us who are either pushing 40-years or more that remember when anime was new in the West, was mostly available through a strict and expensive VHS market, and the fan culture was not quite what it is today. For example -- I don't remember very many cosplayers, figure collecting, or otherwise from anime fans of the 80's and 90's. Today, the fans seem to want everything Japanese and not just the video media.

Both groups are important to GAF and it's the same with any film medium. Imagine if GAF's cinema discussion was only newer Hollywood movies from 2000-present and Netflix originals? If threads only existed for modern film, then where are the Corman, Carpenter, Castle, Hitchcock, Kubrick, Craven, Hooper, etc...fans going to share their posts on cinematic history? It is a Gaming Forum but for Off-Topic and Community entertainment threads, there needs to be a balance of older and new to appeal to the entire forum.

The future of this thread is up to the community. If you want to discuss classic anime then tell us what you like, what you're watching or buying (via eBay, Amazon, Discotek, etc)? Tell us what genres were the best? Keep sharing trailers, OST, Gifs, and pictures! Flood this thread with classic anime and have fun with it, too. Start discussion with others in the thread or help someone find a title they saw but may not remember the name of aside from a few details.

I'll conclude this with a bunch of classic GIFs and hope to hear from you guys the rest of this year until 2021!

Peace,

~Happosai

PeGqreF.gif

a5l19Pd.gif

7oDb4nH.gif

NFAz83o.gif

wFgWWhd.gif

2bE7P3i.gif

What a bunch of all timers, the gifs right there.
Ranma, Dirty Pair, Neo Tokyo, Megazone, Lupin, Ako... ah man just makes me want to watch them again.

So much character. The style of that era, the line quality from being on cels, the color paletters that were part choice, part limitation, and above all, the deceptively low framerate yet incredibly refined animation techniques western cartoons never explored... Never stops hitting me in the feels.

I'll do my best to post once in a while, Happosai my friend, but I've only been able to contribute so far from my memories, from my past anime viewing days. These days I hardly watch it at all. Still, I'd love to keep this thread alive, and have discussions whenever I do decide to revisit any classics or discover new ones. Where else in the world would I find connoisseurs of something as obscure and fleeting as Call Me Tonight, made more obscure by the passage of time?

Last edited:
Ah that is some freaky ass shit. Reminds me of Shoujo Tsubaki, no surprise as it was made around the same time (1992). Animation is primitive but really springs to life in the grotesque moments. I'm sure you can find it ripped somewhere as well.

Here's another. Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei. Not amazing but it has its moments. Is more interesting if you're into the SMT game series which is related:

Barefoot Gen isn't horror but the artistic interpretation of a a world disintegrating in slow-mo by apocalyptic A-bomb will haunt me forever. Belongs in a museum, no doubt:

Yeah Shojo Tsubaki was mentioned a couple months back when various gore anime were being posted (And feel free to post any, it's the most appropriate month for it :messenger_smiling_horns:) . The art style and way the details are drawn really do give it a gross and trashy look that makes things appear more effective. That one definitely had some sick shit.

I remember renting SMT under the Tokyo Revelation title. It usually ends up on a lot of most hated or worst lists. Especially from curious Persona fans. =P

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I have a plan for that along with a few similar ovas. :messenger_winking:
@DragoonWalker Ah that is some freaky ass shit. Reminds me of Shoujo Tsubaki, no surprise as it was made around the same time (1992). Animation is primitive but really springs to life in the grotesque moments. I'm sure you can find it ripped somewhere as well.

What a bunch of all timers, the gifs right there.
Ranma, Dirty Pair, Neo Tokyo, Megazone, Lupin, Ako... ah man just makes me want to watch them again.

So much character. The style of that era, the line quality from being on cels, the color paletters that were part choice, part limitation, and above all, the deceptively low framerate yet incredibly refined animation techniques western cartoons never explored... Never stops hitting me in the feels.

I'll do my best to post once in a while, Happosai my friend, but I've only been able to contribute so far from my memories, from my past anime viewing days. These days I hardly watch it at all. Still, I'd love to keep this thread alive, and have discussions whenever I do decide to revisit any classics or discover new ones. Where else in the world would I find connoisseurs of something as obscure and fleeting as Call Me Tonight, made more obscure by the passage of time?

Please do watch Lily C.AT. soon, you won't regret it!

NOQMAum.gif

About the horror anime you mentioned there DragoonWalker, I used to have a VHS of Megami Tensei but it was a full anime movie. Glad you brought it up as that is one of those classic anime titles that seems to be forgotten mostly.

Thanks for appreciating the hard work that all the animators, screenwriters, cel painters, storyboarders, directors, and creators put into anime in the past. Even Japan seems to have turned their back on much of the older traditional anime in recent years and references are barely brought up.

"Where else in the world would I find connoisseurs of something as obscure and fleeting as Call Me Tonight, made more obscure by the passage of time?"

You'll find them here as long as you have someone who grew up watching anime in the 70's. 80's. or 90's. We're a different kind of people. I don't even remember Otaku being a thing in the West back when I was first watching anime. We just watched it...there wasn't all the added fandom attached unless you were going to large conventions.

Evangelion Unit-01 Evangelion Unit-01 Thanks for posting that update on NGE's new re-releasing. The last time NGE (the first 26-episodes) was out was in like 2008 in the Platinum collection by ADV. Seems like it's been license rescued and hopefully we'll see more titles going back to hard format for fans and collectors alike.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Evangelion Unit-01 Evangelion Unit-01 Thanks for posting that update on NGE's new re-releasing. The last time NGE (the first 26-episodes) was out was in like 2008 in the Platinum collection by ADV. Seems like it's been license rescued and hopefully we'll see more titles going back to hard format for fans and collectors alike.

When it comes to movies/TV I don't like owning discs but I also don't like the low bitrate subpar digital versions. Rock and a hard place. But thats neither here nor there.

I do wonder what version they'll use for this release: ADV or Netflix? I'm sure there will be some degree of controversy there. Personally I think there are certain things that each did well. I've never watched the dubs so I don't have an opinion there. Some super fans would hate me but I prefer the Netflix subs but hope the manage to include the original Fly Me to the Moon for the credits.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
When it comes to movies/TV I don't like owning discs but I also don't like the low bitrate subpar digital versions. Rock and a hard place. But thats neither here nor there.

I do wonder what version they'll use for this release: ADV or Netflix? I'm sure there will be some degree of controversy there. Personally I think there are certain things that each did well. I've never watched the dubs so I don't have an opinion there. Some super fans would hate me but I prefer the Netflix subs but hope the manage to include the original Fly Me to the Moon for the credits.
It really depends on who's putting it all together. The video has been out there for streaming but as far as we know it's only license rescuing from ADV. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll just take a quick remaster of the ADV release. They can use whatever is available under the license. Netflix version is going to look nicer because it's obviously coming out higher resolution. I mean, those DVD releases were back when HD was barely creeping into the video market and DVD wasn't really on par with it. If you really like the series, you should buy the series. I mean, if it's one of your favorite anime series and you know you're going to re-watch. However, if you're not a collector...then the Netflix works too. It's nice that you shared the info here, this thread needs to be aware of big releases like that of older anime. Just like I'll repeat for the 7th or 8th time...we need a remaster from Viz Media of Maison Ikkoku on blu-ray...it's been like 8-years since the DVD sets went oop.

KevinDX

Neo Member
I showed my 12 year old nephew Ninja Scroll and Riding Bean this weekend and he really liked it, he asked to watch more cartoons like it. If only alot of classic anime was more easily watchable on Netlfix etc it would definitely gain more fans. The only classic anime that is easily watchable where i live is Ghibli stuff wich now its on Netflix gained a resurgence of new fans.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I showed my 12 year old nephew Ninja Scroll and Riding Bean this weekend and he really liked it, he asked to watch more cartoons like it. If only alot of classic anime was more easily watchable on Netlfix etc it would definitely gain more fans. The only classic anime that is easily watchable where i live is Ghibli stuff wich now its on Netflix gained a resurgence of new fans.
I don't use much streaming but supposedly "CrunchyRoll (what an awful name)" streaming has been offering some classic titles loaned out by Discotek. When I was 12-14, my Dad showed me some pretty impressive movies from the past which my Mom would prohibit. I started privately buying anime and having only classics available on VHS in my early teens made me get into classic anime (more so than what was "new" for 1998). My point is that what we watch and take in artistically during our adolescent years is lasting. Demon City Shinjuku isn't too extreme, you should show them that.

KevinDX

Neo Member
I
I don't use much streaming but supposedly "CrunchyRoll (what an awful name)" streaming has been offering some classic titles loaned out by Discotek. When I was 12-14, my Dad showed me some pretty impressive movies from the past which my Mom would prohibit. I started privately buying anime and having only classics available on VHS in my early teens made me get into classic anime (more so than what was "new" for 1998). My point is that what we watch and take in artistically during our adolescent years is lasting. Demon City Shinjuku isn't too extreme, you should show them that.
I guess it is only licensed in the Usa since the oldest anime on crunchyroll here in Europe is the og naruto series

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I

I guess it is only licensed in the Usa since the oldest anime on crunchyroll here in Europe is the og naruto series
That's why I imported my physical classic anime from the U.S. It's hard to find it here in Mexico without being dubbed in Spanish. Mexico is very big on importing anime but they don't like subs. You can find subs now but anime from the 80's-early 2000's is mostly Spanish dubbed and very localized (they even dub out the intro and closing songs). Streaming on Prime or Netflix here is the same. We don't get many of the titles they give to the U.S. and I imagine the same is true with CrunchyRoll. I've never had an account with them. A GAF friend is the one who told me they showed some classic anime.

However, YouTube has posted a lot of anime which has long been oop and that's somewhere to check to freely watch some of the older titles you may not have seen. I would recommend watching them now as there are a couple newer companies starting to re-license the older oop anime. Once that happens, it's gone from YouTube in a blink.

KevinDX

Neo Member
That's why I imported my physical classic anime from the U.S. It's hard to find it here in Mexico without being dubbed in Spanish. Mexico is very big on importing anime but they don't like subs. You can find subs now but anime from the 80's-early 2000's is mostly Spanish dubbed and very localized (they even dub out the intro and closing songs). Streaming on Prime or Netflix here is the same. We don't get many of the titles they give to the U.S. and I imagine the same is true with CrunchyRoll. I've never had an account with them. A GAF friend is the one who told me they showed some classic anime.

However, YouTube has posted a lot of anime which has long been oop and that's somewhere to check to freely watch some of the older titles you may not have seen. I would recommend watching them now as there are a couple newer companies starting to re-license the older oop anime. Once that happens, it's gone from YouTube in a blink.
To be honest, collecting retro anime sucks in Europe, most of the USA releases are region locked which leaves us to little options to watch it easily. A anime store here sells Kimagure Orange Road etc but i would need a US bluray player or dvd player to be able to watch it. And when i check Crunchyroll, Prime video and Netflix here the only anime from before 2000 are Evangelion, Yu Yu Hakusho, Phoenix 2772, the first seasons of Pokemon and Ghibli movies. Thats why i envy the American anime fans everytime they get a release of a classic anime i like to watch. I was happy as a kid when i found out the Bubblegum Crisis bluray set was region free.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
To be honest, collecting retro anime sucks in Europe, most of the USA releases are region locked which leaves us to little options to watch it easily. A anime store here sells Kimagure Orange Road etc but i would need a US bluray player or dvd player to be able to watch it. And when i check Crunchyroll, Prime video and Netflix here the only anime from before 2000 are Evangelion, Yu Yu Hakusho, Phoenix 2772, the first seasons of Pokemon and Ghibli movies. Thats why i envy the American anime fans everytime they get a release of a classic anime i like to watch. I was happy as a kid when i found out the Bubblegum Crisis bluray set was region free.
Yes, I'm aware of this problem from a few other anime fans I know I'm the U.K. We all bought Multi Region players on Amazon. Check the blu-ray for Kimagure Orange Road to see if it's not Regions A, B, and C. Many blu-ray releases have been less restrictive than with DVD.

petran79

Banned
Some Italian releases have dual audio. They released whole series of Tiger Mask on dvd for example. They have a richer anime retro library than the USA due to their anime mania in the 70s-80s. I'd trust European distributors over American ones in some series.

Currently watching French dub of Lunlun and episode 36 left me speechless. Set in London, 2 bandits from Ireland take Lunlun hostage and they steal a plane and want to fly to Ireland with police on the chase. One is wounded from gunshots and can't fly the plane. Lunlun transforms to a pilot with magic flower power but in the end magic runs out and she has to rely on commands from the control tower to make a risky landing. Resembled more a political thriller than magical girl series.
This was broadcast in Europe in the 80s btw and had it been shown in the UK when IRA were still active, it would have caused an uproar!

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Some Italian releases have dual audio. They released whole series of Tiger Mask on dvd for example. They have a richer anime retro library than the USA due to their anime mania in the 70s-80s. I'd trust European distributors over American ones in some series.

Currently watching French dub of Lunlun and episode 36 left me speechless. Set in London, 2 bandits from Ireland take Lunlun hostage and they steal a plane and want to fly to Ireland with police on the chase. One is wounded from gunshots and can't fly the plane. Lunlun transforms to a pilot with magic flower power but in the end magic runs out and she has to rely on commands from the control tower to make a risky landing. Resembled more a political thriller than magical girl series.
This was broadcast in Europe in the 80s btw and had it been shown in the UK when IRA were still active, it would have caused an uproar!
I stopped most physical anime collecting after 2016 but I had a multi-regions DVD player for international releases. I wanted to import the Italian anime releases but most of what eBay had at that time for international (with variable difference from U.S. releases) were the original Japanese and German releases. A lot has changed in 4-years for me. I moved to Mexico and learned to speak Spanish. This helped unlock my mind to Portuguese and Italian. I am not yet fluent in the latter two but understand more Italian without having to run additional subs.

Mexico similarly had a huge anime import trend going on from the late-60's until the early 80's. Shows like Candy Candy, Honey Honey, Heidi, Swiss Family Robinson, Saint Seiya, and Maizinger were super popular and have special edition releases now on blu-ray here. I don't recall many of those in the U.S. growing up. However, in the late-80's-early 2000's Mexico stopped licensing anime and started fan dubbing or fan subbing anime which was being ripped from American or Canadian TV and coming in at a much lesser volume and with lower production value. Most anime that made it to Mexico in the 90's (Ranma 1/2, Dragon Ball and Z, Sailor Moon, and Slayers) was being dubbed in what I believe was someone's home studio and they were overly localized (too much dubbing). They did this for the sole purpose of showing them on TV and eventually streaming services but they were never licensed; therefore you can't buy official releases of any of that anime here. Just some bootlegs that float around online. Mexico is great at dubbing but I wish they would migrate more toward subbed anime like the rest of the world. Seems like people were okay with dubs in the 80's and 90's but now most fans realize that part of the point of watching foreign animation is hearing the original dialogue and music.

petran79

Banned
I stopped most physical anime collecting after 2016 but I had a multi-regions DVD player for international releases. I wanted to import the Italian anime releases but most of what eBay had at that time for international (with variable difference from U.S. releases) were the original Japanese and German releases. A lot has changed in 4-years for me. I moved to Mexico and learned to speak Spanish. This helped unlock my mind to Portuguese and Italian. I am not yet fluent in the latter two but understand more Italian without having to run additional subs.

Mexico similarly had a huge anime import trend going on from the late-60's until the early 80's. Shows like Candy Candy, Honey Honey, Heidi, Swiss Family Robinson, Saint Seiya, and Maizinger were super popular and have special edition releases now on blu-ray here. I don't recall many of those in the U.S. growing up. However, in the late-80's-early 2000's Mexico stopped licensing anime and started fan dubbing or fan subbing anime which was being ripped from American or Canadian TV and coming in at a much lesser volume and with lower production value. Most anime that made it to Mexico in the 90's (Ranma 1/2, Dragon Ball and Z, Sailor Moon, and Slayers) was being dubbed in what I believe was someone's home studio and they were overly localized (too much dubbing). They did this for the sole purpose of showing them on TV and eventually streaming services but they were never licensed; therefore you can't buy official releases of any of that anime here. Just some bootlegs that float around online. Mexico is great at dubbing but I wish they would migrate more toward subbed anime like the rest of the world. Seems like people were okay with dubs in the 80's and 90's but now most fans realize that part of the point of watching foreign animation is hearing the original dialogue and music.

For anime I know French, (currently do tutoring to improve it for b1 exams) and also enrolled for elementary Japanese. Learned myself some basic grammar and katakana, hiragana and few kanji but at this point having a tutor is necessary. Spanish and Italian are future goals.

Finally after this I will not be needing subs and translation for anything, especially comics.

HWqECZk.jpg

Dark Cat (1991)

Now here was a weird one. Starts with a story of one of those super naive girls being in love with some guy who is borderline because he got rejected by a different girl...This gives way to two bothers that are "Dark Cats", which means they fight evil monsters and can turn into stray cats if need be. There seems to be some backstory to them but the OVA doesn't spend time to give you any. A bunch of stuff and one really out of place montage later, the two stories intersect for a typical ending. There's some kind of attempt at a message about the evil within humans but it's very "who could give a shit".:messenger_smiling_horns: Looks to have been based on a comic series, so perhaps it's a better watch if one is familiar with the source material. Still, it's watchable.

What makes this one "interesting" is that despite being fairly light hearted, it's loaded with a bunch of gross outs. While there's no blood or guts, the monsters kill people by absorbing or bursting out of them in Thing like fashion and it is always drawn extremely grotesque.

9ZoDcnj.jpg
eMlAOcD.jpg
VzKCUc2.jpg
nGHoLaY.jpg

It seems kind of out of place but then if it wasn't there I wouldn't have watched this. =P The dub seems to be the most common but it's supreme amateur hour so I had to seek out a sub.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
HWqECZk.jpg

Dark Cat (1991)

Now here was a weird one. Starts with a story of one of those super naive girls being in love with some guy who is borderline because he got rejected by a different girl...This gives way to two bothers that are "Dark Cats", which means they fight evil monsters and can turn into stray cats if need be. There seems to be some backstory to them but the OVA doesn't spend time to give you any. A bunch of stuff and one really out of place montage later, the two stories intersect for a typical ending. There's some kind of attempt at a message about the evil within humans but it's very "who could give a shit".:messenger_smiling_horns: Looks to have been based on a comic series, so perhaps it's a better watch if one is familiar with the source material. Still, it's watchable.

What makes this one "interesting" is that despite being fairly light hearted, it's loaded with a bunch of gross outs. While there's no blood or guts, the monsters kill people by absorbing or bursting out of them in Thing like fashion and it is always drawn extremely grotesque.

9ZoDcnj.jpg
eMlAOcD.jpg
VzKCUc2.jpg
nGHoLaY.jpg

It seems kind of out of place but then if it wasn't there I wouldn't have watched this. =P The dub seems to be the most common but it's supreme amateur hour so I had to seek out a sub.
I mentioned this one a few times in some earlier posts in the thread. I made the mistake of buying this one on VHS back in the day after seeing the preview on a different Anime Works VHS. I hated it at first because I only had money for dubs and I felt the dub actors were a bunch of arrogant jerks. They botched the dub purposely and one can only guess why. The worst part is that they didn't fire these idiots after the first few takes in session. Which leads me to believe the English voice director likely had something against this anime or all in the first place.

Years later I bought it on DVD seeing it was bilingual. I watched it subbed and thought it was a great low-budget thriller anime. There are a few YouTube channels which dismiss this OVA as trash because they only watched the dub. There's something wrong in critiquing anime voicework without listening to the original audio. But...that's YouTube. I found a Spanish subbed version and that's the one I have now. People need to give it a chance. It's like $7 on Amazon and you can't watch the English subbed version on YouTube (some idiot posted the full dubbed version, though). Thanks for bumping this title into the thread again. I wish more would give the Japanese version a chance.

I mentioned this one a few times in some earlier posts in the thread. I made the mistake of buying this one on VHS back in the day after seeing the preview on a different Anime Works VHS. I hated it at first because I only had money for dubs and I felt the dub actors were a bunch of arrogant jerks. They botched the dub purposely and one can only guess why. The worst part is that they didn't fire these idiots after the first few takes in session. Which leads me to believe the English voice director likely had something against this anime or all in the first place.

Years later I bought it on DVD seeing it was bilingual. I watched it subbed and thought it was a great low-budget thriller anime. There are a few YouTube channels which dismiss this OVA as trash because they only watched the dub. There's something wrong in critiquing anime voicework without listening to the original audio. But...that's YouTube. I found a Spanish subbed version and that's the one I have now. People need to give it a chance. It's like $7 on Amazon and you can't watch the English subbed version on YouTube (some idiot posted the full dubbed version, though). Thanks for bumping this title into the thread again. I wish more would give the Japanese version a chance.

Yeah a bad dub can be really damaging. Sometimes they're funny or have weird localization but when applied to anything remotely decent and it really brings them down.

The dubbing for Dark Cat appears to have been handled by a crew that dubs hentai so it's not surprising the dub is such junk (The ADR Director even supplied at least once voice). I know it's not a great OVA (And apparently the studio behind this was doing mostly hentai at the time which is seemingly why it got left in the hands of hentai dubbers) but it should have at least gotten some more professional localization. Oh well.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah a bad dub can be really damaging. Sometimes they're funny or have weird localization but when applied to anything remotely decent and it really brings them down.

The dubbing for Dark Cat appears to have been handled by a crew that dubs hentai so it's not surprising the dub is such junk (The ADR Director even supplied at least once voice). I know it's not a great OVA (And apparently the studio behind this was doing mostly hentai at the time which is seemingly why it got left in the hands of hentai dubbers) but it should have at least gotten some more professional localization. Oh well.
We know that Anime Works and Kitty were both under the same parent distributor. I'm not a hentai guy, so I'm not sure why they felt this was good casting. I mean, Anime Works tried localizing a lot of low-budget anime and a lot of their dubs were bad. Dark Cat really isn't that bad if you're looking for something weird in anime from the 90's. I certainly liked this better than the Kimera OVA. I still don't fully understand what was going on with that creature in Kimera. I've heard Anime Works still holds a license to Dark Cat and that some form of their name is still around.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Popular anime series, OVAs, or movies from the past that you've never watched. What are they if any?

I'll admit that I own Cowboy Bebop (the Remix DVD release) and have never gotten around to opening it.

Others that are very mainstream and I've seen almost nothing of for no particular reason:

1. Samurai X / Rurouni Kenshin (I saw part of an episode back in 2000 on Toonami but never followed up)

2. Outlaw Star (I've seen clips of the animation but never seen an actual episode)

3. Ghost in the Shell...any of them

4. Berserk (the 1997-98 series) I own it but never got around to watching it. I did start the manga based on a recommendation by Mista Mista

5. Anything of Patlabor

Nothing personal against any of these. I've purchased some of these but sometimes it takes a decade before I get around to watching them. Possibly reasoning is because I tend to pick the older and more obscure titles to watch first.

C Cannibalistic kunonabi kunonabi Space Runaway Space Runaway Mobile Suit Gooch Mobile Suit Gooch D DragoonWalker OmegaSupreme OmegaSupreme

Popular anime series, OVAs, or movies from the past that you've never watched. What are they if any?

Off the top of my head: Lodoss, Guyver, the old Miyazaki films, almost all pre-00 Gundams (I loved 8th MS Team and 0083).

I watched Macross Do You Remember Love earlier this year and enjoyed it a lot. But after investigating other series, it seems that film encapsulates all that the franchise is about, and that other entries are simply iterations of the same core concepts. Gundam on the other hand has had a lot more variety after it broke away from the UC timeline. I'm watching Gundam 00 (not retro, I know) and I'm loving it so far; possibly my favorite Gundam show. I gave it a try some 12 years ago but I guess I was too young to appreciate the focus on geopolitical/economical strife, although it remains slightly touched on.

That aside, has anyone watched Neo Ranga? It seems like a very obscure show to me. I love the openings, especially the second:

I watched a dozen episodes a couple years and surprisingly it's more slice of life than giant mecha/deity action.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening

I'll admit that I own Cowboy Bebop (the Remix DVD release) and have never gotten around to opening it.

Others that are very mainstream and I've seen almost nothing of for no particular reason:

1. Samurai X / Rurouni Kenshin (I saw part of an episode back in 2000 on Toonami but never followed up)

2. Outlaw Star (I've seen clips of the animation but never seen an actual episode)

3. Ghost in the Shell...any of them

4. Berserk (the 1997-98 series) I own it but never got around to watching it. I did start the manga based on a recommendation by Mista Mista

5. Anything of Patlabor

Nothing personal against any of these. I've purchased some of these but sometimes it takes a decade before I get around to watching them. Possibly reasoning is because I tend to pick the older and more obscure titles to watch first.

C Cannibalistic kunonabi kunonabi Space Runaway Space Runaway Mobile Suit Gooch Mobile Suit Gooch D DragoonWalker OmegaSupreme OmegaSupreme
It's okay. Took long time to watch serial experiments lain and bubblegum crisis tokyo.

Top Bottom