• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 4 was apparently cancelled due to post-apocalyptic saturation in Sony's line-up

People also forget many games, in many genres, got impacted by being late ps2 or first few year PS3 releases when their image took a hit so some games that might have sold well otherwise didn't.

I don't think Killzone or Resistance were among those games .

"Damn.. you're telling me that Resistance 4 died for Days Gone?? A game that no one bought?? Wow... that's crazy" LOL

This is just a joke. Don't take this seriously.

The Alien

Banned
Loved these games. A reboot with next gen geaphic woukd be insane...something special, really cinematic. This games looked great 10 years ago...imagine what Insomniac could do with Resistance today.

Not sure what happened at the time of the release of the 3rd entry (seems like it was a dismissed game)...but I thought it was really good. Really fun game.

sainraja

That's disappointing to hear. The Auger and Bullseye are some of my favorite weapons of any fps to date.

They should test the waters with a Resistance 3 "remaster" cause the resolution on that game took a serious hit on PS3

Would be another great game to take full advantage of the Duelsense.
Yeah, I would definitely like to see a return to the series. It's what got me into FPS games to begin with! And yes the Auger and Bullseye are my favorite weapons as well. I also loved how if you played as Chimera in multiplayer you had an advantage and a weakness (you could detect others through walls but the consequence of doing that was you'd overheat.)

sainraja

While also continuing working on another third person shooter post apocalyptic zombie game named Days Gone when you have TLOU and had a sequel on the way... Tf
The article mentions Days Gone as well. It was because they had TLOU's sequel and Days Gone that the decision was made.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Gears at it's worse time outsold all games in both those game series + MAG combined.

Plus it has strong DLC/MTX support and MP community, so it brings more money than Resistance could ever imagine. But anyway those are really two franchises of different caliber, Gears was a smash hit from the beginning, it's actually had an impact on the entire TPS genre, basically defined the generation, with Gears2 being one of the biggest games of entire PS360 era, while Resistance was... just there. Like I said in my previous post, with CoD4 happening a year earlier and then Res2 screwing up so badly, the series never had a chance. Basically after CoD4 taking the undisputed FPS king crown in 2007 no FPS had any chance, with only BF3 being able to take a fight.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Gears at it's worse time outsold all games in both those game series + MAG combined.
The point is, those games are what people need now.

Sony main problem is they can't advertise their small ip and focuses on big ips. That makes the game not being known too much. Same thing is happening to psnow. Their inability to advertise it made it only 3m sub.

Fake

'Resistance 4 was apparently cancelled due to post-apocalyptic saturation in Sony's line-up, but we're still remaking TLOUS'.

skit_data

”It sounded way too similar to The Last of Us”

But they didn’t cancel Days Gone?

wat.

(I know they are not the same game at all mechanically, but the setting is a little too similar for two main series in a 1st party lineup)

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Sony's "cinematic" mentality is really hurting their creativity.
Elaborate to how this relates to the thread.

Also, unrelated to the above quote, OP's quote would make way more sense if Sony execs said "we had way too many first person shooters last gen" considering they were everywhere during that gen, and then Sony ended up over-correcting with too many third person games.

The post apocalyptic quote sounds like bullshit.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
What a shame....at least give the gaming community a chance to see how they feel about the series by releasing a Remastered Resistance Trilogy then at least?

fart town usa

Gold Member
If Resistance had a better narrative then I'd be disappointed. The series was a complete mess though regarding it's story so I feel nothing when I hear that a potential 4th game was cancelled.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Loved R1, the R2 co-op and R3.

but sony made the right decision to cancel it. It presumably freed Insomniac to work on spiderman, which is a way more interesting game.
Co-op in R2 was so much fun. It was pretty basic and mindless but the community was great. Had so much fun back when it was active.

Last edited:

NewYork214

I love resistance franchise. Resistance 2 multiplayer is still my favorite multiplayer of any game. Pvp and especially the co-op mode was amazing

wipeout364

The resistance games had a cool setting but never really were great games. The third one felt the best but really was overall kind of a meh game in the end. To be fair Killzone is kind of weak as well, very similar actually in that it has a cool setting with weak mechanics. I don’t know how they decided to push forward with one, it probably came down to guerrilla being in house.

Plus it has strong DLC/MTX support and MP community, so it brings more money than Resistance could ever imagine. But anyway those are really two franchises of different caliber, Gears was a smash hit from the beginning, it's actually had an impact on the entire TPS genre, basically defined the generation, with Gears2 being one of the biggest games of entire PS360 era, while Resistance was... just there. Like I said in my previous post, with CoD4 happening a year earlier and then Res2 screwing up so badly, the series never had a chance. Basically after CoD4 taking the undisputed FPS king crown in 2007 no FPS had any chance, with only BF3 being able to take a fight.
COD wasn't that big until MW2 Halo was still the lead FPS ip. Resistance could have worked if it was made well and people wanted to buy it.

The point is, those games are what people need now.

Sony main problem is they can't advertise their small ip and focuses on big ips. That makes the game not being known too much. Same thing is happening to psnow. Their inability to advertise it made it only 3m sub.

No they don't, no one wants them, Killzone Shadowfall was a headliner for the PS4 after months of Xbox One controversy and releasing in a bunch of countries at the start with a large advertising campaign and I don't even think Killzone sold 3 million. It sold 2.1 million in Jan 2014 then by Nov 2014 it had 3 million "unique players" with no sales numbers.

Killzone and Resistance had big marketing games in the past as well. Truth is they struggle to sell more than the Conduit on Wii

I found 1 and 2 pretty meh but 3 was a legit great game. Its disappointing that they pulled the plug when the series was just finding its footing.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
COD wasn't that big until MW2
It was the top-selling game worldwide for 2007, selling around seven million copies by January 2008 and almost sixteen million by November 2013.

7 million copies after 3-4 months, the top-selling game the year it was released = "not that big"

Even if Halo was still the bigger franchise in 2007, MW1 was still a blockbuster success and a highly influential title. No matter how you put it, it was big in every sense of the word.

Last edited by a moderator:
So yes, as I said it wasn't that big back then until the series took off with MW2. Halo was still the best selling FPS until then when MW2 sold more than 18 million in one year.

Unless you're not able to tell MW1's 16 million sales was almost 7 years after the games release?

Last edited:
Top Bottom