• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village Sells Over 5 Million Copies

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Capcom announced today that Resident Evil Village has passed 5 million copies shipped. This means that these units haven't all been sold directly to customers, but have instead been merely shipped to retailers (or sold through digital storefronts) around the globe. Given that Capcom makes its money directly off of sales to retailers, though, this is the total that the publisher is more focused on.

What's staggering about this total overall is just how quickly it has come about. Although the Resident Evil franchise has always been an incredibly popular one, to see Resident Evil Village already become one of the best-selling entries in the series within a span of fewer than five months is quite impressive. In fact, Capcom notes specifically that Village is already selling at a higher rate than any other entry before.

"Utilizing the company's proprietary RE Engine, which made a simultaneous release on both the new and current generation of consoles possible, the game captivated players with a spectacular play experience featuring stunning, photorealistic visuals and cutting-edge 3D audio," Capcom said in its post announcing the sales milestone today. "This led worldwide shipments of the game to surpass 5 million units at a quicker pace than its preceding entry in the series."

Ywap

Very damn well deserved. Was an amazing experience for me. My GOTY along with Metroid.

Playing this shit on an OLED wooooooh boy you need to see that shit!

Still need to finish my second game!
Yeah, i´m having a hard time playing on anything but the oled now that i´ve gotten used to it. Cyberpunk is just jawdropping :pie_drooling: ( And Village too ofc.)

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’ll assume it’s well deserved, I’ve only heard good things. Not a fan of first person RE personally.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Great for Capcom, sad news for real Resident Evil fans. Another great franchise goes FPS mainstream. Doubt we will get a new mainline RE 3rd person game again. The casuals win.
The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

carlosrox

Banned
This game had me so fucking tense a few parts I was straight up leaning forward and back n shit while playing some parts.

I noped out SO fucking hard at the second boss. That was some scary shit!

It wasn't perfect of course; it was a bit too linear and there still could have been more enemy variety and punch when attacking enemies, but neither effected the experience much for me.

Loved the climax, the ending, you name it.

I bought it on the Halloween sale. Got a plat trophy for RE7 which i absolutely loved, will try the same for RE8 as its gameplays is if not even more addicting than RE7. This isnt a complaint but I would say re7 and 8 are quite different. RE7 imo is by far a scarier experience, the game had this constant dread, it never felt comfortable and if you used headphones you can just hear the molded in the distance sticking out of the walls. That fight with the spider-vagina granny was intense! RE8 has a hint of it but so much firepower and ammo, its literally RE4 in first person. It has its moments but its def less scary and more action oriented. I do love that stuff gets carried over so its very addicting to replay it multiple times so Ill prob go for a plat on this as well.

Tho I do hope we are done with unkillable terminator machines roaming the area. We had MrX, Jack in re7 and Dimitrescu in re8. I really wanted to explore that castle more but the bitch just wouldnt stop coming in. Yeah it raises tension but its very short lived, it becomes actually annoying after some time.

EDIT: That Boss 2 stage...thats straight up Silent Hill psycho horror right there.

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Still haven't bought it because I'm a cheap fuck who only buys discounted games, but I'm really happy for this. I want more FPS RE games.

Although I have to say, I'm really glad that the Goth Lady meme had died. I was tired of seeing it everywhere.

Hydroxy

Good game but slightly overhyped. I enjoyed the game overall but some parts were bit less good like the Factory section. And a section towards the end that was basically Call of Duty. Game was unsure whether ir wanted to be horror experience like RE7 or action like RE5

carlosrox

Banned
Game was unsure whether ir wanted to be horror experience like RE7 or action like RE5

I mean, RE4 is the most popular game in the series and it was loaded with shootbang and dropped a ton of classic RE elements. It was also cheesy as fuck (too much so), loaded with one liners, matrix flips, etc. One could easily make the same complaint about RE4 yet not many do.

I found it to be a very well done blend of horror and action. I found it tense and some parts were even scary.

That part that you're talking about was awesome. Loved all the build up to finally playing as Chris again, his status (he's 100% Alpha, which is even his code/nickname which also happens to be a callback to Alpha team from RE1 GOTTA LOVE IT, the music from the trailer, "when does it all end?", etc. Loved every bit of Chris' section. I kinda wish Ethan had stayed dead at that point to make it more impactful, but he did end up dying anyway. I enjoyed the meta of keeping Ethan faceless as well. And confirming Chris goes on to live even much longer was so sweet for this RE1/Chris fan.

Loved the entire climax of the game.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'm honestly surprised it sold SO well, but they definitely marketed the hell out of it. Well, and it's Resident Evil, and well, Lady D was everywhere.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit, finished it, etc. But I wasn't blown away by it by any means. To me, the end result left me feeling like I experienced a theme park ride on rails with a bunch of ridiculous over the top stuff to "woo me." But once it was done, that was it. There was no real talks about it, discussions, etc. Felt like a flash in the pan to me, really.

Really curious to see how 9 ends up.

Saber

Gold Member
Great for Capcom, sad news for real Resident Evil fans. Another great franchise goes FPS mainstream. Doubt we will get a new mainline RE 3rd person game again. The casuals win.

Yeah. I'm happy for RE, but this FPS stuff is not what Resident Evil is about.

Finished it two nights ago, 7 was already great, but Village improved on all aspects of it. Only downside is how shitty the PC port tends to be at time, with the game just slowing down to a crawl at seemingly unrelated points, I had to reload my save a couple of times during my playthrough.

Astral Dog

Well deserved, its not as scary as VII imo and the shooting controls are weak, but the setting, story, characters and overall pacing are very good and spooky, we may see one day another first person Resident Evil that continues this plot and it will be awesome 👌

kiphalfton

Probably doesn't suck as bad on ultrawide monitor.

I want to try out the third person mod for RE7... but it looks janky as can be.

Wish Capcom would release a patch for third person camera view for both RE7 and RE8. I know we're never going to get fixed camera angles ever again, because enough people complained about that, but at the very least I want a consolatory third person camera mode patch. Don't think that's asking much, considering RE2 and RE3 remake are third person.

Ceadeus

It's no surprise! But as for myself, I'm waiting for a 50% sale.

I just bought re4 vr full priced, I don't feel like dipping for a full priced pancake RE game :/

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Totally deserve it. I liked RE7 but RE8 was even better. TBH for me RE8 is the best RE game since RE REMAKE 1.

It blends the puzzles, action and horror so well and the classic metroidvania backtracking is amped up to the maximum. Not too much action, lots of slow paced classic Resident evil gameplay. Amazing game

My game of the year along with Death Stranding ( if that counts because I didnt play it on PS4 )

ToxicWeeb

Banned
It's sad because we'll never see classic RE again. Also Village isn't really a good action game either, it's just a mix of 7 and 4, but the action isn't as good as 4. Again Capcom trying to attract as much people as possible and compromising the quality.

Top Bottom