• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Village - Review Thread

Problem with AJS reviews is, you really shouldnt watch/listen unless you played the game already. I know he is usually late to the party with his reviews and a lot of people maybe finished the game but the dude literally showed the end boss 10 mins into this review...He shows EVERYTHING.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Big Mommy is finally here to step on me! Resident Evil Village is now tied with Uncharted 4 as the best game to watch my boyfriend play. It might not be the best game ever made, but it sure is a roller coaster of love for backseat gamers. Find out why in today's episode! Big boobs.

TMLT

Now that a few weeks have passed and the dust has settled (and having played through it a second time) I still think its a good game, and better overall than 7, but the flaws are definitely more apparent to me now.

Main negatives for me are that the puzzles are shit, and that the game tries to take on too many ideas for a typical Resi length campaign. How is a huge castle that looms over the village and is inhabited by a 10ft tall unkillable stalker enemy an early game area thats over that quickly? that section could have EASILY been expanded into an entire Resi game all by itself, so could Heisenbergs factory. Cant help but feel like they had two amazing antagonists and settings there that they didnt realize to anywhere near their full potential.

Dynomite

Now that a few weeks have passed and the dust has settled (and having played through it a second time) I still think its a good game, and better overall than 7, but the flaws are definitely more apparent to me now.

Main negatives for me are that the puzzles are shit, and that the game tries to take on too many ideas for a typical Resi length campaign. How is a huge castle that looms over the village and is inhabited by a 10ft tall unkillable stalker enemy an early game area thats over that quickly? that section could have EASILY been expanded into an entire Resi game all by itself, so could Heisenbergs factory. Cant help but feel like they had two amazing antagonists and settings there that they didnt realize to anywhere near their full potential.
I enjoyed 7 more because I think they nailed the atmosphere better there.

You really touched on one of my biggest complaints. The lord's don't get enough screentime to develop and are dealt with pretty quickly.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Fuck me sideways, talk about a game that peaks early, and then slides down a greasy bank of shit towards the end.

Why do they insist on the same silly shit in these games that’s about as scary as a Paul WS Anderson movie?

I was well into this game right through the castle, through that scary as shit bit with the giant foetus baby, and out into the lake section, but everything after that is the same tepid shit we’ve seen over and over again.

The Chris Redfield section is laughably crap. Call Of Duty Village more like.

I guess we’ll all reconvene for Resident Evil 11, when they reinvent the franchise again, and actually make a great game.

Pilgrimzero

Fuck me sideways, talk about a game that peaks early, and then slides down a greasy bank of shit towards the end.

Why do they insist on the same silly shit in these games that’s about as scary as a Paul WS Anderson movie?

I was well into this game right through the castle, through that scary as shit bit with the giant foetus baby, and out into the lake section, but everything after that is the same tepid shit we’ve seen over and over again.

The Chris Redfield section is laughably crap. Call Of Duty Village more like.

I guess we’ll all reconvene for Resident Evil 11, when they reinvent the franchise again, and actually make a great game.

Like most video games now-a-days, they have to cater to the lowest common denominator.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Like most video games now-a-days, they have to cater to the lowest common denominator.

It does feel like a game of huge compromises, designed to maximise audience and profit. Nothing too taxing or difficult. That might put people off. And we must have big explosions and massive boss battles, because that’s what the audience loves! FML.

Ah well, the first half is good, anyway.

FlyyGOD

Agree. Game looks subpar for next-gen systems. Enemy AI is especially bad and boss fights are a hot mess. Funnily enough you can still feel a load of loadings while going on elevators or entering new major areas. I turned off ray tracing because the drops in frames were annoying me.
Not sure why it doesn't look next gen to you but the game looks superb on The Series X LG CX combo. Ray tracing and HDR looks so good and at a solid framerate.

Last edited:

Hoppa

I really enjoyed this game overall, first RE game I've finished. I got stuck in so many parts where you're supposed to inspect an items in your bag but I've learnt that's a typical part of RE games? Bought and tried RE4 but I just can't deal with those controls so I'll prob just wait for the remake

Calverz

I just bought and finished village this week.

Pros:
Better than re7. Significantly.
Enjoyed the village hub style area.
Graphics were decent.
The atmosphere was good.
Enjoyed upgrading guns again.
It tied in better with rest of the series story although some elements were shoe horned in quite frankly.

Cons:
Not as scary as re7.
First person perspective. Sorry, I just don’t get the appeal. I much prefer 3rd person.
Some bizarre enemies designs. The Borg style dudes in factory was just weird and didn’t fit rest of the game.
The whole ending hinting at playing a moody female teenager in next entry.
The weird book animation at the start and end.

Amory

I'm a little surprised at how positively this game has reviewed.

To me it was a step back for the series. Not a terrible game by any stretch, but very mediocre. I much preferred RE7.

• Visually I found the game boring to look at. The graphics are alright, but in this setting it's just a lot of whites, grays, browns, and blacks.
  • The story never grabbed me until the twist near the end of the game. 90% of it was a linear slog, which could've been alright overall, except...
  • None of the characters are given the chance to shine. Lady Dimitrescu and Heisenberg had a lot of potential, but just don't have enough of a role in the game and much of the time they're in the spotlight is not taken advantage of. The Duke is probably the most fully developed character in the whole game.
  • I played on normal and found it to be very, very easy. And I'm not like amazing at video games. There was almost never a situation where I needed to conserve ammo or where I was desperately looking for an ingredient to heal myself. The enemy design was pretty good, the lycans felt like they should be scary, but nothing ever felt dangerous. I think I died like 3-4 times the whole game and a couple of those was on the final boss
  • Either the game just didn't have many puzzles, or I just can't remember many of them. In either case, what was there didn't require much thought. The labyrinths were kind of fun and cool to look at, and I did appreciate that you had to find the ball for each before you could complete them.
  • Rewards for exploration were underwhelming. You quickly accumulate more money than you need, so to usually be rewarded for exploration with treasure was kind of a letdown. I appreciated the food ingredients gathering, as the upgrades they provided felt substantial instead of just another 35,000 gold or whatever the currency is.

Admittedly, for me it didn't help that so much of the game was modeled after RE4 because I've never liked RE4 very much. But idk. Village left me just kind of shrugging.

Amory

The solution to mostly all of those negative points are > change difficulty > hard.

Seriously.
I could see it solving maybe like, 2 points?

I mean I definitely think I would've had a better overall experience playing on Hard. But I don't think it would've solved most of my problems with the game.

Josemayuste

I could see it solving maybe like, 2 points?

I mean I definitely think I would've had a better overall experience playing on Hard. But I don't think it would've solved most of my problems with the game.

I understand your point of view, and while I respect it, I can't agree with you because I played the game on hard and: I found myself having too much money to spend, Lycans and even regular enemies were a serious treat to fight, those points alone completely changes pace and gameloop

The points about theme or characters are very subjetive, I can't argue with you about that.

Try the game on hard, srsly.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Just wanted to state that capcom is my fave dev in 2022 one of the last bastions of bullshit less gaming 😂

Mon hun
Resi

😎😎😎

Top Bottom