• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Village - Review Thread

Karak

I gave it a wait for sale but not because it was like BAD or anything. It just didn't fully do it for me with some issues here and there. However, I discussed this on my patreon video. I feel that the ending was just excellent. I loved some of the ideas going on there. I mean like that got me jazzed for the future.

I feel like one huge issue is that the games locations felt very cut and paste for me in many spots lots of identical assets and identical rooms and just this feeling of lack of care. Like the thousands of rubber boots everywhere.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I gave it a wait for sale but not because it was like BAD or anything. It just didn't fully do it for me with some issues here and there. However, I discussed this on my patreon video. I feel that the ending was just excellent. I loved some of the ideas going on there. I mean like that got me jazzed for the future.

I feel like one huge issue is that the games locations felt very cut and paste for me in many spots lots of identical assets and identical rooms and just this feeling of lack of care. Like the thousands of rubber boots everywhere.
Kind of like in RE7 where you come across like 7 different lawn mowers, lol.

Karak

Kind of like in RE7 where you come across like 7 different lawn mowers, lol.
Haha. Exactly. I started cracking the fuck up about 40 minutes in where there were already like 25 boots laying around. The debris system or whatever they are using for side assets to fill out locations almost felt like it was broken at one point.

Stuart360

Haha. Exactly. I started cracking the fuck up about 40 minutes in where there were already like 25 boots laying around. The debris system or whatever they are using for side assets to fill out locations almost felt like it was broken at one point.
When taking into account a year of Covid pandemic, the dev time for 8 seemed quite short to me, almost like the game was rushed a bit.
Could be wrong there though.

Neff

the dev time for 8 seemed quite short to me, almost like the game was rushed a bit.

Considering the game was

- Restarted from scratch twice
- Bottlenecked by Covid
- Retooled/stripped down late in development to enable PS4/XB1 performance

It's absolutely un-fucking real that it's as blindingly good as it is. Capcom are miracle workers when they want to be.

Now lets see IX show what they can really do.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Considering the game was

- Bottlenecked by Covid

It's absolutely un-fucking real that it's as blindingly good as it is. Capcom are miracle workers when they want to be.

Right. I mentioned it in other thread but RE8 isn't even top 5 for my personal RE games, but it's designed insanely well. I think it's easily the most accessible RE to date but that's not a bad thing IMO. It's just a frigging joy to play, at least to me it is. I know some are disappointed but it delivered on what I want from an RE title and the additions felt great for RE8. Probably won't need the buff system or Merchant characters in all future titles but definitely a great system for certain games to have.

I'd love to see a presentation at a developer conference showing how they got it to perform so well on the base PS4. I'm assuming it's equally as good on a base XBO. Absolute wizardry.

nbkicker

Considering the game was

- Bottlenecked by Covid

I dont think this game ever was next gen and stripped down, i think this game was made for ps4/xbox and was due out a lot earlier then now, but at last min they upped it for ps5/xbox x , similar to miles morales, and thats why it came out now and running good on all systems

Neff

I dont think this game ever was next gen and stripped down

Old interviews with the developers talked numerous times about how large the village area was (so much so that it was supposed to feel like a character itself) and how the instant load times of the new consoles made it possible. In the finished game, the village isn't particularly large and is clearly employing last gen techniques to hide load times in the form of elevators and tunnels. There's also quite a bit of footage in the trailers which isn't in the finished game.

Just loving this game. I like how like with RE2 Capcom opened up the world and scope, RE8 does just the same over RE7

bfMk4Pp.jpg

io5r0iD.jpg

KxDNAta.jpg

ufKgQQ8.jpg

zOuG6Jf.jpg

mSrOigt.jpg

Neff

The fact that the reticule lingers for so long after aiming ruined the gorgeous visuals for me. I knew it had to go.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Finished the game finally, I would give it a 6/10. First of all absolutely insanely narrow vertical FOV, it looks like whole game you are going with binoculars on your face. Just exploration is bit hard to do when you actually have to move camera inside the room to see stuff.

Second, it feels like smallest RE yet, since you are going around same places, with few detours. It does not feel enough as journey to me. Aside from Heinsenberg there wasn't any great characters in this game.

A shit ton of shooting, which is not particularly engaging, especially with those controls and narrow FOV.

RE2:R even RE3 are far better games.

And lastly it's pretty fucking short, 8 hours with non-rushed exploring type of gameplay. You can obviously almost double it, when you pick all the stuff, but that's just uninteresting filler content to me. Pass.

Hopefully last FPS Resident Evil.

Should have waited for GamePass sale

Played it on Saturday all day, closed the curtains to my hotel room, turned off all the lights, and played with headphones on.
I absolutely loved it, it’s a great spiritual successor to RE4, and an awesome sequel to RE7. I’m excited for 9!
I think the person at the end walking towards the car was Leon Kennedy. At least I hope it was, he’s my favorite character!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Played it on Saturday all day, closed the curtains to my hotel room, turned off all the lights, and played with headphones on.
I absolutely loved it, it’s a great spiritual successor to RE4, and an awesome sequel to RE7. I’m excited for 9!
I think the person at the end walking towards the car was Leon Kennedy. At least I hope it was, he’s my favorite character!
PC hacked the photo mode and are able to zoom in, it's
Ethan

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Offended? No, I pointed out how stupid his conclusion from a plethora of reviews was when, as you admit yourself, one guy said one thing and it changed his whole opinion on purchasing. Is that guy your little online friend or something? Imagine saying i'm "offended" for calling out that weak minded influence one review had on him, but not calling him out ? lmfao
GIF by bypriyashah

fart town usa

Gold Member

I agree with his thoughts on the writing/story.

RE story delivery peaked with the original trilogy and has been downhill ever since. I think Village was actually one of the better stories for current RE but it's all so convoluted. A hard reboot of the story/characters seems to be the only real solution but I have a hard time seeing that happening with the new netflix series and live action film releasing. New people are going to be introduced to these long standing RE characters and killing them off probably isn't the best idea in Capcom's mind.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Probably the best RE since RE2 or original REmake... I don't remember which one launched late.

Sales are better than RE7.
I hope RE9 releases sooner than later.
I think we'll get the new Revelations game next spring and then RE9 in the fall of 2023. Capcom seems to be really keen on getting RE games out on an almost annual basis. Totally fine with me considering the quality of the series since 2017. Exciting time to be a RE fanboy, really looking forward to their E3 presentation.

WellSheet

I think we'll get the new Revelations game next spring and then RE9 in the fall of 2023. Capcom seems to be really keen on getting RE games out on an almost annual basis. Totally fine with me considering the quality of the series since 2017. Exciting time to be a RE fanboy, really looking forward to their E3 presentation.
Seems like Outrage/Rev3 is rumored to be well budgeted so we may be in for another bigger more polished RE game than a B-tier release.

these games are so divisive anyways, who knows.

I think I saw another fun Easter egg (possible) that they were possibly alluding to RE9’s release year/window in RE8.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Resident Evil Village, also known as Resident Evil 8, is finally here and has quickly become a critical and commercial success! We've gathered reviewers from IGN, Mashable, and Game Informer to talk about what we thought of our Resident Evil Reviews, what the success of this horror game means for Capcom's flagship franchise and how RE8 blends action and horror to achieve success.

The Review Crew is a weekly show where we gather folks from all over the gaming community to discuss the biggest reviews. In previous episodes, we’ve discussed our picks for Cyberpunk 2077, Hitman 3, and Spider-Man: Miles Morales.

The IGN Resident Evil Village review published last week, and here we discuss our thoughts on RE8's overall strengths and weaknesses, how we feel about Resident Evil Village gameplay, and what we hope to see next from Resident Evil in Resident Evil 9 and beyond.

Is RE8 the scariest entry in the franchise? Is it really the horro experience we were hoping for? And finally, the lightning round where all Resi questions will be answered! Well, probably not, but the lighting round is still very fun.

We might be a bit late to the party, but if you do not mind adding to the thread/1st post I'd greatly appreciate i it friend.

Score - 8.0/10 (NOT Reviewed by me, I think game deserves higher, but this was reviewed by one of my staff members)

Written Review - https://www.gaminginstincts.com/review/resident-evil-village-final-verdict/

Video Review - Footage is in 4K60 HDR.

Disclaimer - Reviewed on the PlayStation 5 (Author's) but recorded on the Xbox Series X (Because Author had no capture hardware device)

Last edited:
Finished the game finally, I would give it a 6/10. First of all absolutely insanely narrow vertical FOV, it looks like whole game you are going with binoculars on your face. Just exploration is bit hard to do when you actually have to move camera inside the room to see stuff.

Second, it feels like smallest RE yet, since you are going around same places, with few detours. It does not feel enough as journey to me. Aside from Heinsenberg there wasn't any great characters in this game.

A shit ton of shooting, which is not particularly engaging, especially with those controls and narrow FOV.

RE2:R even RE3 are far better games.

And lastly it's pretty fucking short, 8 hours with non-rushed exploring type of gameplay. You can obviously almost double it, when you pick all the stuff, but that's just uninteresting filler content to me. Pass.

Hopefully last FPS Resident Evil.

Should have waited for GamePass sale
Im gonna wait till it goes on sale too. What did you think of RE7? I liked that game, i think its a 7.5-8.0/10. Havent played RE2:R and RE3

vpance

Watched a couple streamers play throughs, almost from start to finish. While there's some nice horror set pieces the game feels so small and relatively linear. It's like an RE version of a CoD campaign. If this is what the series is heading towards that's kind of sad to see.

People were saying this is like FPS RE4, but that was a reach. When they ditch cross gen I hope they bring back some real innovation to the series. The horror imagery is great and I guess that satisfies some fans, but it's just a theme park ride.

Watched a couple streamers play throughs, almost from start to finish. While there's some nice horror set pieces the game feels so small and relatively linear. It's like an RE version of a CoD campaign. If this is what the series is heading towards that's kind of sad to see.

People were saying this is like FPS RE4, but that was a reach. When they ditch cross gen I hope they bring back some real innovation to the series. The horror imagery is great and I guess that satisfies some fans, but it's just a theme park ride.
There are RE games that aren't linear? Go on....

vpance

There are RE games that aren't linear? Go on....

Well the levels are tiny and mostly funnels. You don't really have an option to approach targets how you wish, apart from weapon choice obviously. So yes, it's relatively linear in comparison to some of the previous games.

K' Dash

I'm halfway through house Moreau, so far I would give this game a 9+ score, so the next area might be the point where the game falls off a cliff or the reviewers screwed the pooch.

Well the levels are tiny and mostly funnels. You don't really have an option to approach targets how you wish, apart from weapon choice obviously. So yes, it's relatively linear in comparison to some of the previous games.
You have played the previous RE games to be calling the levels in this one "tiny", yes? Really not sure how they're tiny compared to literally any other RE. And the approach thing as well. With the open construct of the village, weapon choice, difficulty settings, those flour bags, etc. you have plenty of ways to approach enemies, and the boss battles are just as good as ever.

Eiknarf

I dont think this game ever was next gen and stripped down, i think this game was made for ps4/xbox and was due out a lot earlier then now, but at last min they upped it for ps5/xbox x , similar to miles morales, and thats why it came out now and running good on all systems
How’s it running on the PS4?
PS4 Pro for that matter?

Who here is playing it on a 4?

Who here is playing it on a 5?

tommib

Played it on ps5 and completely agree with the guy you quoted
Agree. Game looks subpar for next-gen systems. Enemy AI is especially bad and boss fights are a hot mess. Funnily enough you can still feel a load of loadings while going on elevators or entering new major areas. I turned off ray tracing because the drops in frames were annoying me.

Nvzman

How’s it running on the PS4?
PS4 Pro for that matter?

Who here is playing it on a 4?

Who here is playing it on a 5?
Base PS4 runs the game quite well, its 900p with a decently consistent 60fps in most areas (with occasional dips).
Idk about the Pro but I know the Xbox One X actually averages like 50fps outdoors, and stays pretty close to 60fps indoors. I was genuinely shocked at how well the game runs on the One X in the resolution (4K) mode, it runs much smoother than the Pro and with VRR support it actually feels really good and looks amazing, nearly identical to the next-gen versions in some areas.
The game was definitely made for last gen and then just ported up for next-gen, but it still looks awesome on anything you play it on, which is great!

Neff

I'm halfway through house Moreau, so far I would give this game a 9+ score, so the next area might be the point where the game falls off a cliff or the reviewers screwed the pooch.

Moreau's section is the weakest of the game by far, but I still enjoyed it. There's some good stuff coming up.

Yoda

Just finished it.

I'd say 8/10 feels about right.

Pros:
+ World is interesting and somewhat varied
+ More of a horror game vs. evil conspiratorial pharma company is a nice change of pace
+ Good balance of exploration/loot/economy never felt unfair (played on standard difficulty)
+ Graphics are gorgeous

Cons:
- Story is poorly written, nearly half the dialogue is cringe and some of your character's choices make no sense
- Boss fights are largely strafe and shoot w/a few exceptions.

Overall I enjoyed it, I'd recommend it any RE fan. If your not big into the genre waiting for a sale might be worthwhile.

EDMIX

Don't get me started on the books being the same across the whole village lol

You even got some houses where they damn near have like 10 copies of the same fucking book! the deep lolz. I felt like this is where maybe an artist to randomly make those books for iconography would come in handy. Maybe I'm being too fucking greedy, I'm not a developer so maybe I'm wrong and its not that easy and it fills up more space if each book is different or something.

(will except if I'm wrong on it)

Any developers are free to chime in on this weird thing as I'm a concept artist, but I don't do anything in gaming.

Eiknarf Eiknarf I beat it 4 times already, 3 times on a 4K tv with HDR and it looks amazing and plays great on pro. I have no complaints.

(my first play thru was over a friends house that had a old 1080p tv)

Last edited:

K' Dash

Loved how I conserved bullets throughout the game. Steadily aiming for head shots, then as soon as you pass the Good Luck sign your hell blazing like Doom pissing bullets in the wind!

I did that part a couple times and died, the third time I ran like a bitch only killing what was in my way, kept running until I reached the boss lol.

Eiknarf

Just finished it.

I'd say 8/10 feels about right.

Pros:
+ World is interesting and somewhat varied
+ More of a horror game vs. evil conspiratorial pharma company is a nice change of pace
+ Good balance of exploration/loot/economy never felt unfair (played on standard difficulty)
+ Graphics are gorgeous

Cons:
- Story is poorly written, nearly half the dialogue is cringe and some of your character's choices make no sense
- Boss fights are largely strafe and shoot w/a few exceptions.

Overall I enjoyed it, I'd recommend it any RE fan. If your not big into the genre waiting for a sale might be worthwhile.
What about puzzles? More than normal? Less than normal?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Plenty of puzzles. Lots of people say they're easy but let's be honest, RE puzzles have always been easy.

One of the main "puzzles" is navigating the Village itself and determining how to get back to certain areas in order to use keys and other items you've gained.

RE8 is so much more classic RE than it is RE4. It obviously contains lots of elements that RE4 introduced but at it's core, Village plays much more like RE7/Classic RE than it does RE4. In my opinion it's easily the most accessible and fine tuned RE to date. You should definitely check it out if you've played RE7 or Remake 2 and enjoyed them. It's just an incredibly well designed game and fun as hell to play. Nothing mind blowing, just an incredibly solid gameplay experience that rewards multiple playthroughs.

GymWolf

Loved how I conserved bullets throughout the game. Steadily aiming for head shots, then as soon as you pass the Good Luck sign your hell blazing like Doom pissing bullets in the wind!
Yep, i reached the same part yesterday, it kinda feels bad using all those ammo.

Thank god i didn't wasted ammo with the various optional miniboss, their reward are shit anyway.

Yoda

I'd say about the normal amount for a RE, more than the action focused games for sure. None are hard in terms of difficulty, probably a bit more than past games in regards to environmental puzzles; ex: shooting a torch on a chain to light another in the corner.

Elios83

Just finished the game in about 11h (I collected all the treasures and the ingredients for all the recipes).

I'd give it a 8.5.

*The atmosphere and art direction is absolutely top notch, the only other game that impressed me so much in the series in this aspect was RE:Rebirth on Gamecube.
Graphics-wise it looks really impressive as a cross gen game, RE engine is really great.

*The game feels a lot like a collection of ''the best of'' the Resident Evil series in terms of situations and gameplay. Each villain introduces its own flavour to the game.
The Dimitrescu Castle feels like the classical survival horror mix that RE was in the old days (although the section is not used up to its full potential and has not the role that marketing gave it because of the incredibly good reception they got for Lady D and her daughters) then there's a section which can be classified like psychological horror, a RE4-like section with a good amount of action and the classical intricated final dungeon with a lot of action.
It's basically all there and it's all great although there's really nothing new, RE7 felt more innovative and fresh (until the ending part that was kinda disappointing).

*Gunfight and combats are actually cool the more you get into. At first it seemed like a weak point in the demos but it was because of the time limited nature of the demos plus the fact they were taken from an early section of the game painted a wrong picture.
Just to clarifiy it's nothing amazing either and it's not competent like a proper shooter but it's good and fun once you get the proper weapons.

*Story was so-so, just the beginning and ending are really interesting but overall there's not much. It's a lot about the strong characterization of the villains more than the actual main plot.

So yeah overall it's a great game although it feels a bit too safe and the potential of certain things was not fully expressed.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

EFAP taking on the story and it's a slaughter as usual. :lollipop_grinning:

They do bring up a good point about The Duke, if he's part of the world/story and he has knowledge of all the other lords and is helping Ethan kill them, how is he allowed to seemingly roam so freely across the place. Before anyone brings up the merchant in RE4, that dude didn't help in any way to progress the story as in telling where to go and what to do.
Chris is stupid for not telling Ethan what's going on, it's better that Ethan thinks he killed his wife? He also should know better by now that powerful bioweapons usually aren't killed with bullets. Where was he when Ethan was doing all the work he could've done 10x faster with all his weapons and crew.

Mirranda is a wasted character with her shapeshifting abilities, how cool could it have been if she appeared as different characters to mislead Ethan.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

With a brand new Resident Evil title comes the latest iteration of the RE engine. Capcom has ramped up the technology and the horror to a startling degree. Taking a look at Resident Evil Village on Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, PS5, PS4, and PC platforms. This is a tale of vampires, darkness, werewolves, light, and some horrific results at times which are not quite... as intended.

0:00 Intro
0:28 Graphics, Technology and Engine
2:54 PS5 v Series X Ray Tracing
6:41 PS5 v Series X No Ray Tracing
7:57 Series S - Ray Tracing and No Ray Tracing
11:48 X1X v Pro - Performance Mode
13:08 X1X v Pro - Resolution Mode
14:27 Ps4 V X1S
16:02 Loading All Formats
16:44 PC and Ray Tracing Comparisons
18:02 Summary

Top Bottom