• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village Releases on May 7th, 2021 (Cross-gen, PS4/PS5/XB1/Series/PC)

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I finished the demo.

I finished it in 15 minutes (I skipped cutscenes to save time).

- Ray-tracing is on by DEFAULT.
- It's not locked and you will notice frame-drops with Ray-tracing on.
- I didn't realize Ray-tracing was on until after I completed the demo the first time
- My second playthrough was with Ray-tracing off and it seemed to be a stable 60fps.

kyoji

I finished the demo.

- I didn't realize Ray-tracing was on until after I completed the demo the first time
- My second playthrough was with Ray-tracing off and it seemed to be a stable 60fps.
how did you get 2nd play through?

HAL-01

I finished the demo.

it looked pretty smooth to me, perhaps im not as susceptible to refresh rate judder. looking forward to see the RT on vs off comparisons

kyoji

it looked pretty smooth to me, perhaps im not as susceptible to refresh rate judder. looking forward to see the RT on vs off comparisons
i thought it played smooth and looks pretty good too but im not a technical monster looks good playing though!

nikolino840

I finished the demo.

Did you see evident differences with rt on/off?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
huh when i tryed that it wont let me? is there a work around? thats what im trying to figure out lol
After beating the demo, it showed me the trailer and brought me back to the main menu to play it again. I still have 2 mins left and I'm guessing the demo is going to be unplayable until the Castle demo is up.

kyoji

After beating the demo, it showed me the trailer and brought me back to the main menu to play it again. I still have 2 mins left and I'm guessing the demo is going to be unplayable until the Castle demo is up.
its 30mins but i found the work around, you need to simply play under another account to restart timer

rapid32.5

Anyone else noticed on the gameplay portion of the demo how tight the L2 and R2 triggers got to press, really uncomfortable to play. Is this the Dualsense thing ?

Last edited:
Anyone else noticed on the gameplay portion of the demo how tight the L2 and R2 triggers got to press, really uncomfortable to play. Is this the Dualsense thing ?
That is likely dualsense.

I tried to pick up the key and it wouldn’t let me exit just viewing the key? Was weird. Otherwise seems pretty awesome imo

Arachnid

It's too close so no demo for me.

I hope those of you who played have good impressions though. I'll be living vicariously through you for hype lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah I got to the part where
you’re in the attic and the father and his daughter are about to fall
and then it ended. I guess there’s an ending to the demo? Overall I really liked exploring everything. It definitely has that going for it. Combat was alright. I would have preferred a better weapon, but that’s what you get later on. The game ran pretty smooth. I noticed a few low textures on doors, but it wasn’t killing the mood for me. I can’t wait to play more.

decisions

WOW that was way better than I expected. So much packed into 30min. At the beginning you had a solitary/exploration feeling, then you had the set piece stuff and I really enjoyed it all. Hype restored after the previous demo somewhat soured me on this game.

If the whole game is like that it will be fucking awesome!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Only having 30 minutes is painful. I wanted to go down each road, backtrack to see if I might have missed something, and then explore whatever new area opened up. I was kinda sad when my timer went off. It didn’t feel like 30 minutes. That’s the beauty of it all. Time just passes by and you feel like you just started your adventure.

Isa

I wasn't a fan. Glad others are happy though. I can't be doing with the FPS camera and obnoxious cinematics(I can't stand the goofy theme park ride camera) that interrupt everything all the time. The story is stupid as well which having played the whole franchise and spent time with the spin-offs that's saying something. I liked the potential for item collecting and whatnot, though the bright yellow markers for interactive stuff is almost insulting(I know its nothing new). Plus it gave me a pretty gnarly headache. And has the honor of being the first game to crash my PS5 so there's that I suppose. A lot of pop-in too. I left the RT on, it seemed fine. I don't like the lack of weight in combat, the enemies barely react, or the animations play late. Honestly Capcom saved me money with this one. I'll bite when they go 3rd person again. My girlfriend didn't like it at all and was riffing the game once we met the others. Its one thing to follow genre expectations but another to be so generic and bland. Its like Ethan has no memory of prior events.

What's with the writing? Its melodrama personified. Elena blasts her dad's ass point blank with buckshot only to be all "Daddy!" and the subsequent stuff with Ethan being all "its not ur fault" was cliche and frankly stupid as it should be clear by now with monsters running amok and killing everything that shit ain't normal. Hell daddy just turned serial killer a moment ago, but hey, its pa! Just can't stay mad at you ya big silly goose. And reusing again for the 3rd game the car ramming mechanic, which wasn't really fun in either of the prior titles. Sweet. Ethan's goofy lines about why is ereybody dyin' on me, its just too much man. Whoever wrote this trite needs to be thoroughly slapped across both cheeks. I'd rather have goofy dialogue with poor or overacting with a machismo theme than this corny more modern "horror". And my girl felt the whole demo was RE:COD.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy but its disappointing. Glad I'm in the minority though, it seems plenty liked it and will be enjoying it day 1.

Arachnid

It's too close so no demo for me.

I hope those of you who played have good impressions though. I'll be living vicariously through you for hype lol
I tried my best but I am weak. The demo was great guys LOL

My only worry is how long the village will actually be. I feel like I just played a significant section of it. Just like that, we're already at the castle gates? Ethan was acting like he had barely gotten there since he was still surprised about what he encountered and the general weirdness of the situation. The crazy old woman the lycans ignore was met for the first time, not to mention every other normal human besides Chris from the trailers (other than the old man who died to lycans in the first trailer, who I assume was that woman's husband; you could have given closure Ethan, you dickhead) was encountered and died in a single cutscene/section.

I feel like this game wont be as long as the devs hyped up. 12 hours max, just like RE7 is what I'm expecting.

The combat section was good. Barricading inside the shed after being overwhelmed in the wheat field (I played on hardcore for the demo) was appropriately stressful. Those things just wouldn't die. Even after that (despite nothing but headshots and making my two shots from the shotgun count), I couldn't kill them all and had to run. Great demo overall

Last edited:
Well it's not like any thing worth talking about happens in the demo. It's just walking around picking up items and watching cutscenes.
true, but this is what this generation is all about , fuck good games it dosnt have 60 fps and RT, i don't remember 60 fps and Rt playing super Mario Bros or sonic back in the days , they were just fucking awsome, anyways , it was a pretty good demo .

All the shills from Dusk Golem, to Nibel, to Grubb. No one had the balls to admit that the gunplay is still the same shit from RE7. It doesn't matter if they want to make the game more action focused ala RE 4 by adding tons of enemies at the same time. It doesn't feel good to shoot!!! and everyone is going nuts over a tall woman vampire with tits. Idiocy.

spartan30gr

175984591_6068426073182912_6927680924782471067_n.jpg

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Didn't really like 7 because it was first person. Was willing to give this a shot but nope, it still doesn't have ADS for guns. FFS Capcom, why do you have to do shit the weird way?
Unfortunately going to be a pass for me. Hopefully Remake 4 is good.

Maybe someone will mod it in?

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I LOVE it.

Gimme more of that invincible, unkillable, goodness
It's all in the execution, right?
If the level design is up to the task, and the gameplay mechanic forces you to think quickly on your feet to survive - which door do I take? Up the stairs! Quick, shoot that barrel! How do I get out of this room?? - it can be quite exhilerating.

I'm not a huge fan of horror games, but I'm really impressed with the direction Capcom are taking the franchise in so far. I like both the third person and first person point of view but definitely liking the first person adaption more. Really impressed with the RE engine!

Rob_27

What was the resolution on Resident Evil 3 remake for PS5 or Series X. Were there any special enhancements? or is it One X / PS4 Pro resolutions? Fancy getting it for a quick burn before Village is out.

Top Bottom